What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (1 Viewer)

Any Tua owners grabbing Bridgewater? I drafted Dak and Lance, then traded for Tua. :ptts:

3 of the next 4 matchups look nice and the weapons are still there. @NYJ, Min, Pit, @Det

Any Tua owners grabbing Bridgewater? I drafted Dak and Lance, then traded for Tua. :ptts:

3 of the next 4 matchups look nice and the weapons are still there. @NYJ, Min, Pit, @Det
If Bridgewater does well and Miami goes 3-1 in those games, maybe Tua sits out even after the docs approve his return. Teddy made several plus plays, aside from the INT.

"You have to protect the player from himself"

Heard this a million times. Don't get it. At all. Protect them from what... playing football? Protect them from the contact sport they more than willingly get paid millions to play? What - like make them wear pads and helmets?
is this real or shtick? i guess you’ve never played sports or served something above yourself before. My guess is you don’t have kids and came from money.

:lmao: X X and X

Couldn't be more real. These guys are making the choice daily to risk their health in return for millions. Ie the risk is there before it happens.

There is no football without risk - if all of you people on your high horses had any true interest in protecting these guys, you wouldn't let them play at all. The irony of watching the overreaction AFTER it happens is sadly comical.

Injuries aren't a maybe in the NFL... they are a near certainty.
I never let my son sniff tackle football….because I know how dangerous the game is and not even in the slightest bit worth the risk.

This game is extremely dangerous and injuries regardless of how small or how large are a 100% certainty. I guess you can say that about all the major sports….but football lends itself to the worst kinds of serious injuries.
You don't hear about too many with CTE issues in tennis and golf
I have lifelong shoulder issues from playing tennis. Buddies have elbow issues. Play sports, have pain.

The media driven narrative and how easily it becomes groupthink is both fascinating and terrifying.

Heard this a million times. Don't get it. At all. Protect them from what... playing football? Protect them from the contact sport they more than willingly get paid millions to play? What - like make them wear pads and helmets?
is this real or shtick? i guess you’ve never played sports or served something above yourself before. My guess is you don’t have kids and came from money.

Couldn't be more real. These guys are making the choice daily to risk their health in return for millions. Ie the risk is there before it happens.

There is no football without risk - if all of you people on your high horses had any true interest in protecting these guys, you wouldn't let them play at all. The irony of watching the overreaction AFTER it happens is sadly comical.

I never let my son sniff tackle football….because I know how dangerous the game is and not even in the slightest bit worth the risk.

This game is extremely dangerous and injuries regardless of how small or how large are a 100% certainty. I guess you can say that about all the major sports….but football lends itself to the worst kinds of serious injuries.
I have lifelong shoulder issues from playing tennis. Buddies have elbow issues. Play sports, have pain.

The media driven narrative and how easily it becomes groupthink is both fascinating and terrifying.
I have played sports my entire life as well. However tackle football is on an entirely a different level of dangerous. And while I love watching Football….it’s not for everyone. And what we saw happen to Tua laying on the ground and fencing…..that is a brain injury. He really needs to think long and hard about what he wants to do.

I don’t disagree about the media and all the noise in general…..but I am not one of those who falls into the “group think” trap. It was plain as day to see what happened to him and how this game is extremely dangerous. Average length of a career in the NFL is right around 3 years. The extreme high turnover is obvious.

When do you guys expect Tua to return this season?
IMO 4-6 weeks is best case.

I assume that there hasn't been any insider knowledge or reports regarding how long he will be out? Or I missed it.

No news... he's been with the team, no word if he's traveling to NY yet. In addition to the obvious concussion, he still has to get his back right...it's most definitely a thing.

I have played sports my entire life as well. However tackle football is on an entirely a different level of dangerous. And while I love watching Football….it’s not for everyone. And what we saw happen to Tua laying on the ground and fencing…..that is a brain injury. He really needs to think long and hard about what he wants to do.

I don’t disagree about the media and all the noise in general…..but I am not one of those who falls into the “group think” trap. It was plain as day to see what happened to him and how this game is extremely dangerous. Average length of a career in the NFL is right around 3 years. The extreme high turnover is obvious.

I don't think the debate is whether the game is dangerous, or whether that brain injury is scary.

In fact that is my point. We do know that. Everyone knows that. Most importantly the players know that.

So when the media whips up a storm over how football is dangerous every time we see big hits or injuries.... I sit back and marvel. Thanks ESPN/Radio host, you are so provocative in your overly dramatic shock and awe routine... oh you want the coaches fired... the docs should go to jail? YEA BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!

Not really. Teddy will give the Dolphins about the same chance to win as Tags.
I agree. I think Teddy and Tua are basically the same QBs: frail, weak armed, but very smart, very accurate and decent (but not special) athleticism. I really don't seem much of a drop off. Even that one crazy game Tua had - a lot of those throws weren't so great, the WRs just made outstanding plays and he got a bit lucky.

I agree. I think Teddy and Tua are basically the same QBs: frail, weak armed, but very smart, very accurate and decent (but not special) athleticism. I really don't seem much of a drop off. Even that one crazy game Tua had - a lot of those throws weren't so great, the WRs just made outstanding plays and he got a bit lucky.

Good analysis. Only question is how many games will Teddy last as he is as brittle as Tags.

not sure this qualifies as weak armed.

not sure this qualifies as weak armed.
Throwing deep =/ arm strength. Chad Pennington had the highest completion percentage on deep balls but had a notoriously weak arm. It shows up more on sideline outs and when a ball needs to be placed into tight spots. Most QBs know how to get loft on their deep balls - that video is a good example. He didn't throw that on a line, he lofted it.

I think Tua is a bit more accurate than Teddy, but Teddy is more adept at throwing the ball away and scrambling than Tua is. Something should be mentioned that this Shanahan style offense seems to get QBs hurt, which may simply be coincidental, but a deeper look shows that since shanny was named HC in SF there was only one year (2019) his qb made it through the whole year unscathed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Skylar Thompson ends up getting a start in the next few weeks.

From Barry Jackson.

>>Tua won't be traveling to New York for game; he's obviously not playing Sunday. He won't be going on IR today or tomorrow, meaning team thus won't rule him out for next 4 games.

This does not mean, of course, that Tua definitely will return within 4 games. He might. He might not. But team not ready to rule out Tua returning within 4 games, per McDaniel comment regarding IR. Remember, Dolphins TE Cethan Carter about to miss 4th game in concussion protocol.<<

From Barry Jackson.

>>Tua won't be traveling to New York for game; he's obviously not playing Sunday. He won't be going on IR today or tomorrow, meaning team thus won't rule him out for next 4 games.

This does not mean, of course, that Tua definitely will return within 4 games. He might. He might not. But team not ready to rule out Tua returning within 4 games, per McDaniel comment regarding IR. Remember, Dolphins TE Cethan Carter about to miss 4th game in concussion protocol.<<

Not that it matters, but CBSSL has him listed as expected back week 6

I don't think the debate is whether the game is dangerous, or whether that brain injury is scary.

In fact that is my point. We do know that. Everyone knows that. Most importantly the players know that.

So when the media whips up a storm over how football is dangerous every time we see big hits or injuries.... I sit back and marvel. Thanks ESPN/Radio host, you are so provocative in your overly dramatic shock and awe routine... oh you want the coaches fired... the docs should go to jail? YEA BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!
I don’t disagree with your sentiment on this topic. I don’t like all the fake outrage that plagues social media and television. It’s out of hand and has been for a decade now.

From Barry Jackson.

Not that it matters, but CBSSL has him listed as expected back week 6
Wow. Ok if he is cleared…he is cleared. It is his life….I would think he would take a few more weeks to make sure 100%

Miami will let him "rest" agains t the Jets and I think it's 50/50 they win/lose, might be even worse than that.
But I'm sure as soon as he is legally cleared to play that he will be right back out there no matter how much people cry about it.

Miami will let him "rest" agains t the Jets and I think it's 50/50 they win/lose, might be even worse than that.
But I'm sure as soon as he is legally cleared to play that he will be right back out there no matter how much people cry about it.
I think Miami is confident that Teddy B can do the job for the next few weeks. Now, if Teddy gets hurt or underperforms, I see a little more urgency to get Tua back in the mix. If Teddy beats the jets (and let's face it, it is not the QB that matters for this game, it is our banged up secondary), the minny game the following week is at home vs a non conference opponent (doesn't matter as much). The week after that is Pittsburgh. Now, Tua if he is remotely healthy will want to stick it to Flores so I see him doing everything he can to play in that game. Its also a sunday nighter at home...

NFL Network reports Tua Tagovailoa will return to practice on a limited basis Wednesday but remains unlikely to play in Week 6.​

Tagovailoa is reportedly "progressing" though the NFL's concussion protocol following his frightening Week 4 brain injury -- a week after he appeared to suffer a brain injury against Buffalo but remain in the game. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Tua "made great strides in recent days and is headed in the right direction toward an eventual return to play." Tua has begun cardio and strength training in hopes of making his return in the coming weeks. Teddy Bridgewater, meanwhile, remains in the concussion protocol and is questionable for Week 6 against the Vikings. That would put Skylar Thompson under center for Miami. In Week 5 against the Jets, Thompson threw for 166 scoreless yards -- along with a costly interception he threw while being hit. Thompson would only be startable in deeper superflex leagues.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 12, 2022, 9:09 AM ET

So Tua cleared concussion protocol, but he isn’t playing.

The optics on this whole extravaganza is so weird.
Tua practiced fully but hasn't clear the protocol. But the optics is weird and I think the team pre-determined that Tua wouldn't play this Sunday, but Teddy would be able to play in a backup role. I'm still thinking they wanna see what Skylar can do.

From Step 5:
>>Once the player has fully practiced, he must be first cleared by the team physician. If he clears, he then must be examined by the Independent Neurological Consultant. If that consultant clears the player of concussion symptoms, he is free to play in the next game.<<

Not sure I ever seen a team not play a guy who cleared and yet we have both guys one backup and one not playing. If the who Tua thing never happened I bet Teddy B for sure would came back and played last week let alone this week. Going to be a nightmare for us fantasy owners all year long.

Not sure I ever seen a team not play a guy who cleared and yet we have both guys one backup and one not playing. If the who Tua thing never happened I bet Teddy B for sure would came back and played last week let alone this week. Going to be a nightmare for us fantasy owners all year long.
Check in at the Skylar Thompson thread, think I'm the 1st or 2nd person to post in there, all is explained.

Not really too difficult to figure this out IMO. If the team wasn’t confident that he would definitely clear the protocol, then they probably had Thompson take the vast majority of snaps during practice. QB isn’t like other positions where you can just throw a guy in after not practicing the install all week.

I have Josh Allen so I’m pretty set at QB, but with Allen’s bye next week I’ve been scrambling for a QB next week since Russell Wilson has been atrocious. Just dropped Wilson for Tua and feel pretty good about it.

I have Josh Allen so I’m pretty set at QB, but with Allen’s bye next week I’ve been scrambling for a QB next week since Russell Wilson has been atrocious. Just dropped Wilson for Tua and feel pretty good about it.

I have Allen with Tua as a backup also. I have been thinking I would have to drop him and pick up someone else for week 7, but I will wait until next week. I am not too optimistic.

Remember when Jahved Best was at the end of his career and you were just on the edge of your seat with every play (and not in a good way)? Just waiting for a concussion and it really never took long for it to happen. If Skylar doesn't take this job and run with it, I fear that's how we'll all be watching Tua on the field unless he could somehow stay healthy for a couple years in a row.

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said he expects Tua Tagovailoa (concussion) to start in Week 7 against the Steelers.​

Tagovailoa cleared concussion protocol on Saturday, and will now have another full week to recover ahead of the team's Week 7 matchup against the Steelers. Tagovailoa last suited up in Week 4 against the Bengals and has thrown for 1,035-8-3 on the season. He'll be a low-end QB1 against a Steelers defense that's allowing the third-most passing yards per game (277.8).
Oct 17, 2022, 5:30 PM ET

Tua Tagovailoa completed 21-of-35 pass attempts for 261 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins' 16-10 Week 7 win against the Steelers, adding 15 yards on four carries.​

Tua and the Dolphins came out firing against the Steelers, caping off an opening drive that had multiple chunk gains with an eight-yard touchdown pass to RB Raheem Mostert on a broken play. The touchdown would be the only one of the game for the Dolphins, who traded blows with the ferocious Steelers defense throughout the scoreless second half. Tua showed no ill effects of the concussion and back injuries that forced him to miss the previous two-and-a-half games, keeping the Dolphins in the driver's seat for the duration of the game. Miami marched the field on their first possession of the second half only to fail to convert a fourth-and-three inside the red zone and turn the ball over on downs. They would ultimately hold on for the win on the backs of an interception in the end zone with 25 seconds to play. Tua and the Dolphins turn their sights to the reeling Lions for a Week 8 game in Detroit, where fantasy managers can expect a return to QB1 status for the Miami signal caller.
Oct 23, 2022, 11:36 PM ET

I was at the game last night. He had an outstanding first quarter…..then nada.

Several bad reads….like wow. Went with read one way too many times. Had second the third read guys wide open several times and simply refused to unlock with read one.

Accuracy was off which is a big strength for him.

I do expect a much better game in Week 8 at Detroit.

Tua Tagovailoa completed 21-of-30 passes for 302 yards and three touchdowns in Miami's 35-32, Week 9 win over the Bears.

Tagovailoa continues to have his tendency to underthrow the ball at bad times, as an underfloated ball to Jaylen Waddle down the sideline gave the Bears life at the end of the game and a gopherball to Durham Smythe in the flat forced one of Miami's fourth-down failures. Oh well. He continues to produce in fantasy, which is what we care about, and the Miami offense generates open throws for him in abundance. Tagovailoa will be on the QB1 line against the Browns in Week 10.
- NBCSportsEDGE

If Denzel Ward returns from concussion protocol, the CLE defense with Myles Garrett playing like man possessed could give Tua his biggest challenge in a while.

The Tua Debate is Over!
If MoP the once leader of the get rid of Tua brigade so proclaims it then it is truth!!
I can explain why he is having such success. I have never seen a QB get the luxury of having nobody in front of him practically when he is stepping up into the pocket to throw IN BETWEEN the NUMBERS

-And this needs to also be said, the guy is throwing darts DOWN THE FIELD, this ain't dink n dunk! The throws he is making are not normal and perhaps that is the coaching but he is going after targets 10-15-20 yds down the field. Anyone that thinks Tua is dumping it off and Hill and Waddle are running to the house, sorely mistaken how this offense is operating.

I am leaving bread crumbs and some folks can read between the lines. I don't know how often he will be throwing up in the pocket with nobody in his face but the game plan is to have him throwing thru what you might call the A-Gaps in the OL, straight ahead and down the field.

Why? I asked myself this and the way I understand it is when you have Hill and Waddle lined up outside, DBs have to get outside the numbers and it clears a lot of space. The funny part is Hill and Waddle end up going thru the middle of the field anyways after they streak up the field 10-15 yds and after 5 yds they can run totally unimpeded to wherever their approximate spot needs to be. Also, Tyreek Hill is killing teams on under thrown balls and drawing huge DPI flags, those don't show up in his stat sheet or Tua's I might add.

Marino in '84 was surreal
Tua in '22 feels new and it's exciting. He was never this good under Flores
Duper and Clayton? We got Hill and Waddle now

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread