What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quentin Griffin highlight package (1 Viewer)

Loco Barlow

Footballguy
I'm really liking this kid, and I think given the opportunity he will excel in the Denver system. Shanahan has usually had that one-cut downhill runner in Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, and Mike Anderson, but Shanahan did adapt to Portis' style of play. It's not inconceivable Shanahan would also adapt to Griffin's style of play, who by the way the coaches and GM have said is very similar to Portis'. I think Griffin will be a huge surprise next year.

For those of you who haven't seen Quentin Griffin play, here's a very nice and long highlight package.

Link - Griffin College Highlights

Wait a second. Hasn't anyone told you yet. Quentin Griffin is TOO SMALL TO BE A FEATURE BACK!!!!Don't worry, if nobody has told you yet someone soon will. ;)

Wait a second. Hasn't anyone told you yet. Quentin Griffin is TOO SMALL TO BE A FEATURE BACK!!!!Don't worry, if nobody has told you yet someone soon will. ;)
:lol: And Steve Smith is too small, as well. He's going to get hurt going the bathroom, or something.

He'll be fine. He'll use his small stature to hide behind the line. Because of course, the LBs and DLs will never think to look for him there.

I know this has been posted before, but I forget where .. Can someone please post Q Dogs height and weight, and that of Barry Sanders ... Thanx in advance.

Fred Russell is also small. That doesn't automatically make him Barry Sanders.Griffin showed promise last year, but I still see him as a change of pace back. Barry Sanders had a rare set of skills and while I have seen Griffin at his best (Indy game), I still don't see any reason to believe that he can consistently make the kind of runs that Sanders used to make. Another thing to consider is that he won't be able to play on turf as often as Sanders did unless he goes to a different team.

Barry Sanders was an incredible talent who was drafted #2 overall in his draft. He was an exception to the rule as EastBay pointed out.Griffin can't hold a candle to the skill set that Barry possessed, and to excel at his size you need to be an unbelievable talent.The only thing Q and Barry have in common is size, as far as talent they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Another thing to consider is that he won't be able to play on turf as often as Sanders did unless he goes to a different team.
Griffin didn't play on turf at Oklahoma and he did just fine, 1800+ rushing yards fine his senior season against Big 12 competition. And your point was?

I'm glad we've finally had a "how good is quentin griffin" thread. I've been hoping to see one of these for months. While we're at it, I've always wondered whether Barry Sanders is as good as Emmitt Smith. Anybody have an opinion?

Griffin didn't play on turf at Oklahoma and he did just fine, 1800+ rushing yards fine his senior season against Big 12 competition. And your point was?
That was college. Chris Brown rushed for nearly 2,000 yards in the same conference. That doesn't mean he'll sniff those numbers in the NFL.My point was that a back like Griffin is at his best on turf where he can better take advantage of his quickness. I think he loses some of his edge on grass.

Last edited by a moderator:
What made Barry so special and kept from getting hurt? I believe there is also a rule that states if you can't get tackled you can't get hurt. :lol:

Just what we needed, another fricken Quentin Griffin thread. :rolleyes: You couldn't have just bumped up one of the other hundred Griffin threads?

Griffin didn't play on turf at Oklahoma and he did just fine, 1800+ rushing yards fine his senior season against Big 12 competition.  And your point was?
It will be a moot point when Denver drafts Kevin Jones. I also agree with Beef, why another Q Grifin thread?

I'm really liking this kid, and I think given the opportunity he will excel in the Denver system. Shanahan has usually had that one-cut downhill runner in Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, and Mike Anderson, but Shanahan did adapt to Portis' style of play. It's not inconceivable Shanahan would also adapt to Griffin's style of play, who by the way the coaches and GM have said is very similar to Portis'. I think Griffin will be a huge surprise next year.For those of you who haven't seen Quentin Griffin play, here's a very nice and long highlight package. Link - Griffin College Highlights
Sweet thanks alot!!! I was laughed off this board last year sayiing Q could be a NFL starter :rolleyes:

Contrary to some pretty strong opinion I am reading here, I believe Griffin will be given every opportunity to be the starting RB in Denver. Ignore this if they draft a RB in the 1st 2 rounds. ;)

Contrary to some pretty strong opinion I am reading here, I believe Griffin will be given every opportunity to be the starting RB in Denver. Ignore this if they draft a RB in the 1st 2 rounds. ;)
Denver needs other things more than a RB. IMO, their first 3 picks will be a LB, WR, OL/DL. Shanahan seems to recognize his defense is shaping up nicely and with the addition of Champ Bailey needs a little more reinforcement in the fromnt 7 to really be special. Any other back that Denver drafts beyond the 2nd round will have to compete and nothing will be handed to him. In an open competition you don't count out Quentin Griffin. The guy runs a lot like Clinton Portis, give him a small crease and he's gone.

I also agree with Beef, why another Q Grifin thread?
Because these guys are trying to convince either themselves or others that Griffin will be something much greater than he is physically capable of being.& LOFL @ any comparison between Barry Sanders & Quentin Griffith.

Because these guys are trying to convince either themselves or others that Griffin will be something much greater than he is physically capable of being.& LOFL @ any comparison between Barry Sanders & Quentin Griffith.
Exactly what is he physically capable of being? Or is that just some football fan cliche you've read? Kind of foolish because there's ample evidence of players that have succeeded in the NFL despite serious questions about physical measureables. Is he capable of handling a full load for an entire season. Who knows. We do know though that many other feature backs have proven incapable of doing so, without the size issue that everyone loves to focus on here. So i don't think size is necessarily correlated with injury risk.Is he too small to pick up the blitz? What exactly is the problem with his size that everyone says -repeat after me- "He's too small to be a feature back".?BTW the only comparison being made between Griffin and Sanders was one of size. Apparently the consensus now seems to be that based on Sander's style of play, an effective small back must possess the same attributes. Why does one have to conclude that?

Well, yes, there is Barry Sanders.And then there are about a billion other small backs who were amazing in college and never did squat in the NFL. Tell you what, for every Barry Sanders, I'll list 10 similar sized guys who racked up stats in college and did virtually nothing in the pros. We'll see who runs out first.But here's the funny thing - I don't even care that much about his size, I care more about the fact that he had one huge game and otherwise looked EXTREMELY mediocre (is that an oxymoron?) in excellent running situations. Portis averaged 5.5 YPC while Q managed 3.7 which INCLUDES his one spectacular game. I don't like to subtract particular games from averages, but if you do, the picture gets pretty ugly pretty fast.He has zero career TDs, and in his 8 short-yardage (3 yards to go and fewer) carries he has averaged 1.9 YPC.BTW, just for reference, Barry Sanders had 1470 yards for a 5.3 average in 15 games with 14 TDs in his rookie year. ;-)If you are looking for a FEATURE back, look a little higher (yeah, I know I'm back to the height thing again, but I thought it was funny - sue me).

Because I've seen him play live at the NFL level. One of the DLs or LBs even gets moderate contact & he's in the dirt. He doesn't have enough power to get any lean - he lost rushing yardage on over 10% of his carries. Not stopped for no gain, but lost yardage. He gained 2 or less yards on about half of his carries - behind the same O-line that almost got Portis 1600 yds rushing in 13 games.No HC that wants to get to the playoffs can tolerate that lack of production in his backfield, despite the homerun threat. Now, as I have said in other Q Griffith posts, believe what you want, but the guy doesn't have anywhere near Sanders' lower body strength or imagination. And without either one of those or both, a tiny RB is just a situational back at best.But, hey, it's your call. Draft him at your risk, unless you are trying to sell that nonsense to leaguemates whom you think will be reading this board.

Because I've seen him play live at the NFL level.
I don't think sitting on Row 589 on the upperdeck counts as "seeing him play."Besides, you weren't at the Indy game or the Green Bay game were you, unless you travel to away games which I highly doubt? Those are the only two games Griffin logged significant playing time, and anybody with Sunday ticket saw exactly what you saw if not more. So I don't understand what you mean by your proclamation that you've seen him play "live" LOFL. :rolleyes:

I don't think sitting on Row 589 on the upperdeck counts as "seeing him play."Besides, you weren't at the Indy game or the Green Bay game were you? And those are the only two games he logged significant playing time.
As usual, DMan, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

So you weren't at the Indy game and the Green Bay were you? :rolleyes:
:sigh:Okay, since you are too thick to realize that you brought a knife to a gunfight...So, what you are trying to say that it is okay for an NFL RB to be unproductive as long as he gets less than 20 carries a game?And tell me again which seat I sit in. I need to figure out if you are stalking me.

I go to Bronco games. I think I see just as much of the action if not more because of replays in slow motion than I could at the game.There's something about going to the games that kicks ### though.

I go to Bronco games. I think I see just as much of the action if not more because of replays in slow motion than I could at the game.There's something about going to the games that kicks ### though.
I understand what you are saying, Zartan, but going to the games, you get a real feel for exactly how tiny this guy is, and how much actual contact there was to bring him down, which you can't get a solid feel for on television.Of what you are saying is true, NFL coaching staffs wouldn't need any live scouts at all, would they?

:sigh:Okay, since you are too thick to realize that you brought a knife to a gunfight...So, what you are trying to say that it is okay for an NFL RB to be unproductive as long as he gets less than 20 carries a game?And tell me again which seat I sit in. I need to figure out if you are stalking me.
I find it laughable that you claim to have a superior opinion on Quentin Griffin's ability to play in the NFL because you've seen him play "live." First off, the only two games where Quentin Griffin logged significant playing time were away games which you probably did not attend. So where did you exactly see Quentin Griffin play "live" to give you superior knowledge of his ability? In training camp? Not so, as he was sidelined with a broken bone in his leg. In pre-season games? Not so, as Griffin only logged ina few plays in the pre-season finale. In weeks 1-8? If you call 16 total carries in 8 weeks enough "live" action for you to know his ability in the NFL then I think you should be hired as the top scout in the NFL. So in other words, you're basing your "live" opinion of Quentin Griffin on a handful of games where he received limited carries. :rolleyes: Come here and say Griffin stinks and back it up with somehing substantial that's your right, but don't claim your "live" knowledge of Griffin gives you a unique perspective on his ability which others here lack or you will be laughed at and be made a fool. :rotflmao:

I understand what you are saying, Zartan, but going to the games, you get a real feel for exactly how tiny this guy is, and how much actual contact there was to bring him down, which you can't get a solid feel for on television.
I'm sure you have the absolute best seats in the house too at Mile High Stadium, heh? :wacko:

you will be laughed at and be made a fool. :rotflmao:
You are certainly the authority on that, aren't you?Read the post right above yours. You want stats on Griffith? Try here:

By Pony Boy on April 14, 2004 9:09 AM on another thread started by Loco Barlow to pimp Griffith:

Take these rushing stats for what they are worth - I don't know how they compare to other RBs

Quentin Griffith 2003

94 rushes, 345 yds, 3.7 ypc

Lost yards - 10 carries

Gained 0-2 yds - 35 carries

Gained 3-5 yds - 25 carries

Gained 6-9 yds - 19 carries

Gained 10+ yds - 5 carries

That's just under half of his carries where he either lost yards or gained 2 or less yards - for a team that had Clinton Portis go for 1500+ yds.

I don't know, that just doesn't seem to be the numbers that a big-time RB should be getting.

I'm sure you have the absolute best seats in the house too at Mile High Stadium, heh? :wacko:
I could. But you don't know, do you? Yet you feel perfectly qualified to run your cakehole about it.

Holy Schneikes pointed out that Griffin YPC is 3.7. He seems to hold that against him despite Griffin being a rookie, coming off a broken leg, and had that YPC despite several games with less than 10 carries.Eddie George has a career YPC of 3.7. I guess he was unproductive too. I don't know if Griffin will ever get the chance to show what he can do over a full season. But i think it's beyond foolish to to throw out things like "he's too small", "doesn't have the leg strength", etc., and dismiss the guy. People do this all the time , pigeon hole a player based on some scouting report they read. Scouts are often wrong. Domanick Davis was too small to be a feature back too and had value only as a 3rd down role player or kick returner if i recall.

Yet you feel perfectly qualified to run your cakehole about it.
You seem to be the example of running your cakehole on this board, tell us again how much you saw Quentin Griffin play "live" and how that imparts upon you some special knowledge of Quentin Griffin.

BTW...if you're going to dog the guy at least get his name right. It's GRIFFIN...not Griffith.
Not dogging him, just presenting facts.But point well taken. I was mispelling his last name. Apologies for that. :thumbup:

You seem to be the example of running your cakehole on this board, tell us again how much you saw Quentin Griffin play "live" and how that imparts upon you some special knowledge of Quentin Griffin.
You can't read very well, can you?

Any highlights of Quentin Griffins mugshot when they announce "Pick 17, Round 1, the Denver Broncos select Kevin Jones, RB"? :confused:

You can't read very well, can you?
Simple question: How much exactly did you see Quentin Griffin play "live" and how does that impart upon you some special knowledge of Quentin Griffin? You didn't even watch his two biggest games of the season live. :no:

Quentin Griffin = fools gold***Newsflash***NFL teams have "role players", which Q is one of. Denver doesn't look at him as feature RB material, and either should you.Dave Maggett and Larry Centers had great real life NFL careers, but they were role players, not FF material.Trade Q for anything you can get of value before the NFL draft nullifies any value he might of had. You can thank me later.

Simple question: How much exactly did you see Quentin Griffin play "live" and how does that impart upon you some special knowledge of Quentin Griffin? You didn't even watch his two biggest games of the season live.
Simple answer: Read my previous post to Zartan on this (or have someone read it to you). How much do you have to see of a guy to know that he is significantly smaller than anyone else on the field or that light contact sends him sprawling? I saw him against SD, CHI, & KC where he combined for 25 carries for 91 yards, was in on quite a few more plays than that, plus I also saw him on television the rest of the games that he played in, like a few others here.Not that I need to explain myself to you, but I'll throw that out there for the crowd. Now that I have answered your question, please answer a few of mine - I've asked several of you - & also opine on the numbers that I quoted here from the other thread.

I bought seats on the 50 yard line(upper level though) for $40 a seat. I think the face on them was like $50 so I did alright but that game was against the Browns. Great game but Portis got hurt at the end.

I also saw him on television the rest of the games that he played in, like a few others here.
Like anybody with Sunday Ticket, or did you actually believe you were the only one who had Sunday Ticket service?

Simple answer: Read my previous post to Zartan on this (or have someone read it to you). How much do you have to see of a guy to know that he is significantly smaller than anyone else on the field or that light contact sends him sprawling? I saw him against SD, CHI, & KC where he combined for 25 carries for 91 yards, was in on quite a few more plays than that, plus I also saw him on television the rest of the games that he played in, like a few others here.Not that I need to explain myself to you, but I'll throw that out there for the crowd. Now that I have answered your question, please answer a few of mine - I've asked several of you - & also opine on the numbers that I posted here from the other post.
Do you have season tickets or do you buy tiockets from scalpers? I just moved here so I use scalpers but sometimes that doesn't work. I had terrible luck trying to get seats to the KC/Den game. Ended up watching it at the ESPNZone on 16th street.

also opine on the numbers that I quoted here from the other thread.
Your numbers are meaningless unless we can compare them to other rookie RB's and established backs. You said so yourself that you didn't know how they compare to other RB's. You should opine on that. Get to work and bring us more numbers Pony Boy.
Take these rushing stats for what they are worth - I don't know how they compare to other RBs
Not worth much if you want the truth.

Do you have season tickets or do you buy tiockets from scalpers? I just moved here so I use scalpers but sometimes that doesn't work. I had terrible luck trying to get seats to the KC/Den game. Ended up watching it at the ESPNZone on 16th street.
No, actually I'm very lucky enough to be given tickets by friends who have spots in the corporate sky boxes @ about the southern 40 yd line. None of my doing, really, but hell, I'm not going to complain.

No, actually I'm very lucky enough to be given tickets by friends who have spots in the corporate sky boxes @ about the southern 40 yd line. None of my doing, really, but hell, I'm not going to complain.
Damn, I wish I had that. Instead I troll Colfax(for tickets, not whores) and Federal.

Your numbers are meaningless unless we can compare them to other rookie RB's and established backs. You said so yourself that you didn't know how they compare to other RB's. You should opine on that. Get to work and bring us more numbers Pony Boy.Not worth much if you want the truth.
Anyone ever tell you that if you are in a hole to stop digging?So you don't find it remotely significant that almost half of his carries were for 2 yds or less? That doesn't strike you as something that a featured RB can't have happen?Instead you rely on one good game at IND & one very mediocre game at GB to support the opinion that you think he can carry the rock full-time for the Donkeys?Actually, keep on going. I'm enjoying this immensely. It's always fun to watch someone like you drop trou like this.

Users who are viewing this thread