What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question For FBG Regarding Sharing Annual Bonus With Co-Workers (1 Viewer)

RavenFan

Footballguy
I could use some assistance from the collective wisdom of the crew to affirm or not something I've always done and how to handle a new circumstance.  I've been a director for the last 20 years or so.  At my job once you're promoted to manager you become part of the annual bonus pool.  Now we're not talking crazy money here but I would typically get checks in the $10k range.  In the past I've always had 4 people report to me that I have traditionally shared this bonus with to the tune of about $1k each.  I've always thought that any success I or the department had was a team effort and that's why I wanted to share in any benefit I individually got.  My team has always been close-knit, gets along great, with almost no turnover. 

This past year I was promoted to VP, my bonus grew, the team grew by 3 (total 7), and I'm not as connected to them as I once was given my new role.  The 3 new folks all started around April which is the last quarter of our fiscal year.   So here's my issue, the new director and manager are part of the bonus program and I don't traditionally share mine with folks who get their own bonuses.  Two of the others are awesome and I do still have a close connection with them.  Here's where it gets a little tricky, the 3 new folks I know but not anywhere like the other folks and I'd feel kind of weird walking into their offices and dropping $1k on them.  And is it still "ok" given my new role?

I would just like some assurance that I'm not violating some kind of unwritten rule I should know about and that giving people money is never a bad thing.

And feel free to flame away if this is a stupid question that I'm way overthinking.

Just to clarify, the new director and manager are part of the original 4 you gave 1k to?

Do the (non bonus eligible) newbs report directly to you or to a manager/director who gets a bonus? IMO I wouldn't share with anyone who wasn't a direct report.

Do the (non bonus eligible) newbs report directly to you or to a manager/director who gets a bonus? IMO I wouldn't share with anyone who wasn't a direct report.
This matters.

I wouldn’t share with a non-direct report most likely, certainly not without talking to their direct manager (presuming they report to someone other than you) beforehand.

Side story:  years ago I worked as a Junior stock analyst.  Every year at bonus time, people at my level got a small bonus.  Maybe $1-2k.  It was nice.   Our boss got a giant bonus — think like $250k.   Each year he would give us an additional $1k, which all of us thought was a nice gesture.

Then one day we found out that a junior analyst in another group got handed an envelope with $20k each year, from his boss.  $20k cash.  I have no idea what this dude did with the money, but it always just seemed wild.

How do you go about this sharing?  Do you tell them it’s “sharing the bonus” or does it just seem like a Xmas gift?  Very generous of you either way.

I appreciate the advice and nice thoughts.  The only folks from the 7 who directly report to me are the director and one senior person.  I’m definitely sharing with the senior person cause she’s awesome.  I feel weird though not sharing with anyone else though.  Not the director, she got the $10k I used to get.  It’s really the 3 newbs and 1 other not newb who’s also fantastic.  Can I share with just those 2?

How do you go about this sharing?  Do you tell them it’s “sharing the bonus” or does it just seem like a Xmas gift?  Very generous of you either way.
Just like I put it here. We’re a team and any rewards I get were in large part due to them.

Just seems like a no brainer thing to do to me.

Pretty much this. 

And it's awfully generous of you to share your bonus even with direct reports. 

FWIW - has there been any consideration for having a bonus plan for everyone? 
There actually is a potential bonus annually for non management of $500.  They typically get $350, although this year everyone got $1k.  It’s more about me knowing how much I get and I’m appreciative.  And no, it’s no where close to $250k.

Just like I put it here. We’re a team and any rewards I get were in large part due to them.

Just seems like a no brainer thing to do to me.

Sorry, I didn't explain my question - do you tell them, "Here's a bonus I'm sharing with you" vs. "Merry Christmas - thanks for what you do"?  As nice a gesture as it is, I could see some problems with the former and what you are describing in the OP is one scenario.  If you could go back in time I would advise using the latter method.

The promotion changes are a good life lesson to the previous direct reports that changes occur. While generous of you, this tends to become an expectation over time and as changes occur, you start becoming a part time compensation manager to manage the complexities. Your position includes certain risks/rewards your direct reports don't have in their positions. Maybe take them all about to a nice dinner. People like to be appreciated but cash is not necessary.

The promotion changes are a good life lesson to the previous direct reports that changes occur. While generous of you, this tends to become an expectation over time and as changes occur, you start becoming a part time compensation manager to manage the complexities. Your position includes certain risks/rewards your direct reports don't have in their positions. Maybe take them all about to a nice dinner. People like to be appreciated but cash is not necessary.
This seems like solid advice.

Sorry, I didn't explain my question - do you tell them, "Here's a bonus I'm sharing with you" vs. "Merry Christmas - thanks for what you do"?  As nice a gesture as it is, I could see some problems with the former and what you are describing in the OP is one scenario.  If you could go back in time I would advise using the latter method.

Everyone is on a bonus plan. Now , with the change in reporting, might be a good time to consider the bolded from the 2 quotes. If that doesn't feel like enough. You could always add footballguys subscriptions.

Seriously. You're very generous. 

Maybe I'm just a selfish bastage, but I wouldn't have thought of sharing my annual bonus with any coworkers.  A Christmas ham or prime rib for those who were especially helpful to me...  perhaps.  

Users who are viewing this thread