What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question - Guys Giving Up Your Seat For A Woman On Subway (1 Viewer)

Do you stand and offer her your seat if you're a guy sitting?

• Total voters
The situation:

New York City subway in Manhattan. 10 pm on a weekday. All the seats are full and a few people standing.

A woman gets on the subway who appears to be able-bodied and about 55 years old. There is no distress or anything negative at all with her.

Also - spin off thread asking if you think the woman might be offended by you offering your seat https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...uy-offered-her-his-seat-on-the-subway.812597/
I went to NY this past March with my wife for a few days and I did this very thing on three occasions (was not 10 PM though). None of them seemed offended an all seemed to appreciate the gesture.

if able bodied and 55 no, but if older ~65 and up, or if had any issue at all, pregnant obv., carrying packages, overweight, or even just looking around like she wanted to sit, then yeah sure

Age of the woman doesn’t factor in for me - I’d ask any female if she wanted my seat.
I’d generally agree with this- but I’d add one caveat. A lot of it would be dependent on how “natural” the offer could be made. If she walked in, there was some sort of eye contact and she was in close enough proximity to where I could offer up the seat without it seeming like I was just using the offer as a vehicle to spark up a convo or something more with the woman. It’s just like holding a door open for someone. If they are within 5-10 feet of you- its a gentlemanly thing to do. If you hold a door open for someone that is 40-50 feet away, it becomes more weird than gentlemanly.

The situation:

New York City subway in Manhattan. 10 pm on a weekday. All the seats are full and a few people standing.

A woman gets on the subway who appears to be able-bodied and about 55 years old. There is no distress or anything negative at all with her.

Also - spin off thread asking if you think the woman might be offended by you offering your seat https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...uy-offered-her-his-seat-on-the-subway.812597/
I rarely sit, but if I do I'm always looking out for somebody else who needs it more... Gal, guy or otherwise.

I make eye contact and point to the seat, mouthing wanna sit?

15 years ago my answer was 100% yes. Women have changed. Times have changed. I've now been yelled at for holding a door open for a woman, holding an elevator for a woman, and offerring a seat to a woman. I guess all flummoxed by the notion of someone being nice.

So now it's situational. Older woman, yes. Person with a child. Yes. Mostly no for all other times. The attitude of the modern woman has rubbed me anti being a nice person.

The situation:

I rarely sit, but if I do I'm always looking out for somebody else who needs it more... Gal, guy or otherwise.

Yep. This is standard protocol.

The situation:

Are you still sitting in the seat when you point? Because if you are, then I have an idea why no one is taking you up on your offer.

The situation:

Are you still sitting in the seat when you point? Because if you are, then I have an idea why no one is taking you up on your offer.

It’s the scarf, isn’t it?

The situation:

No, why run the risk of insulting her.

That's another interesting tangent. I wonder how many women would actually be insulted by this?

I can't think of a less knowledgeable group of people than this bunch of mostly old guys, but I think it's an interesting question.

Maybe you guys can ask a woman around this age and see what they think.
As a 53 yo woman, I would appreciate the offer. I would take it if I had a long way to go but decline if only a stop or two. I would also judge silently any 20 something young man who didn’t offer. I would never be offended at an offer. I would expect my adult kids to offer to an older person, man or woman.

Yes, always because I still hear my Dad say "you need to offer that woman your seat." However, I do have a funny story about this. Back when I was in college (so this is like 1990) and an intern for a life insurance company in Cincinnati, I had to take what I think was called "the metro" which was a city bus system. I lived about 5 or 6 miles from the office, I had to wear a suit/tie/dress shoes, etc. and I could not afford a car, even the free car my parents offered me, I couldn't afford to park/insure/fuel/maintain a vehicle so I took the bus. And I wanted a car more than anything and I hated riding the bus more than that.

Anyway, I get on the bus with 3 or 4 other people dressed for the office (suits/etc.) and I was climbing aboard last, the doors start to close, a woman jumped on right behind me, she looked like she was having herself a day. So as I'm walking down the aisle, there's ONE seat left and I would have offered the seat either way but the way that woman looked I thought "she really needs the seat more than I do." So I offer her the seat, she thanks me and about 10 seconds later she jumps up out of the seat and she said "OMG - IT"S SOAKING WET!!!"

As God is my witness, I honestly did not know the seat was wet. Of course it was a dark/navy blue fabric so you could not tell by just looking at it, but still the same, that woman absolutely wanted to gouge out my eyes. If looks could kill, they would have swept me off that bus. I apologized profusely but she wasn't having it, she was SO angry with me, the bus, the person next to the wet seat, pretty much everyone. It was pretty hilarious but at the same time I felt so awful for her, I can only imagine what the rest of her day was like.

Users who are viewing this thread