What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quit accusing everyone of racism, xenophobia, naziism(?), and on and on (4 Viewers)

We’re not.  We’re setting the bar at reality while you make excuses for a member of Congress intending to demean a member of the President’s Administration with a known racial epithet.  You’re proving my point about how people apply different standards based on who is hurling the racial abuse and who is receiving it.

But I’m a fair guy so I’ll give you a chance to explain how Pressley wasn’t using that term in either a racial or derisive manner.  Floor’s your’s.
I agree with your general point, and I also do a little internal eye-roll when I see someone use the term "Becky."  At the same time though, racially-charged attacks on white people in the US just aren't the same as racially-charged attacks on blacks or Jews or other groups.  It's not unfair to expect white people to just shrug their shoulders and move on with their day without making a big fuss about it.

just tossing this out there: much like AOC, my wife was born in the States and is of Puerto Rican descent.  if anyone told my wife that she should go back to her own country, I'd punch them in the nose*.

*OK, I probably wouldn't actually assault someone - that's internet tough guy talk.  I'd think about it really hard though, and depending on how many drinks I had, I'd definitely call them out for racism.

It's astonishing that you would even start this thread , not knowing what Trump has been tweeting for the past decade. 
Are you serious?

It is headline news every morning.  I don't need Twitter, the media (CNN in particular is obsessed) allows me to get daily if not hourly updates on tweets from Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
We’re not.  We’re setting the bar at reality while you make excuses for a member of Congress intending to demean a member of the President’s Administration with a known racial epithet.  You’re proving my point about how people apply different standards based on who is hurling the racial abuse and who is receiving it.

But I’m a fair guy so I’ll give you a chance to explain how Pressley wasn’t using that term in either a racial or derisive manner.  Floor’s your’s.
from your link:

These days, Becky is increasingly functioning as an epithet, and being used especially to refer to a white woman who is ignorant of both her privilege and her prejudice.

Harriot defines the term as "a white woman who uses her privilege as a weapon, a ladder or an excuse"; Young asserts that a "Becky" "exists in a state of racial obliviousness that shifts from intentionally clueless to intentionally condescending."
seems to fit.

OK, but then why have Congressional resolutions to admonish other Representatives like Ilhan Omar And Steve King for their racially-tinged statements, but not even a negative word to Pressley for her’s?  They’re all Representatives.  Is it perhaps not the President vs. Rep distinction you referenced, but rather a differing standard as to which racially-tinged negative commentary we deem acceptable?
Ask them...Im not a member of the House of Reps.

Also - the OP wasn't for Trump alone.

RACIST RACIST, HOMOPHOBE, NAZI and the like seems to be first resort for so many on the left.

Instead of the bottom of the barrel, this is the leading effort.  Pointless.

I see 3 stories about Trump tweets on CNN's front page.
Surprising since his tweets are what everyone is talking about since Sunday...

This President doesn't do press conferences, he tweets.  If the news doesn't talk about his tweets what are they to discuss?

Guys, we obviously should not call out blatant and obvious racist statements when we see it.  because it...

• hurts racist feelings? 
  • labels people making racist statements as being racist? 
  • forces not-racists to think about their support for racists, and no one should have to think?
  • emboldens racists to unify and rally together?
  • hardens racists opinions?
I'm not really sure where the OP was going with this thread.

Trump tweets have a ~200 page thread here.
Trump's tweets thread is my favorite in the Political forum.   He (or someone purporting to be him)  tweets so many inflammatory, inaccurate,  and contradictory things and often mean-spirited to boot.  It absolutely amazes me that a President of the United States would say these things, especially when they are so easy to refute as BS.

Even my friends and family that love Trump admit that his tweets are often out of line and wish that he wouldn't.  

It's not unfair to expect white people to just shrug their shoulders and move on with their day without making a big fuss about it.
No, actually it is unfair. 

It’s unfair to apply double standards and it’s unfair to hold people today hereditarily guilty for actions by people who looked like them in the past in order to just that double standard.  And this insistence that one group has to just endlessly absorb jabs the equivalent of which are treated as national tragedies when directed at other groups creates the resentment that then makes politics more racially polarized.  

People on the Left then pretend to not understand why the Left is losing support from white working and middle class Americans who feel abandoned by that end of the political spectrum.  

Why not just apply standards evenly to avoid that?

Guys, we obviously should not call out blatant and obvious racist statements when we see it.  because it...

• hurts racist feelings? 
  • labels people making racist statements as being racist? 
  • forces not-racists to think about their support for racists, and no one should have to think?
  • emboldens racists to unify and rally together?
  • hardens racists opinions?
I'm not really sure where the OP was going with this thread.
Not sure either but I’m hearing it everywhere this morning, mostly from conservative sources, as a rebuttal against criticism of President Trump’s comments. Rather than specifically address what Trump said, the argument seems to be “you guys shout racism all the time and we’re sick of it.” 

It’s unfair to apply double standards and it’s unfair to hold people today hereditarily guilty for actions by people who looked like them in the past in order to just that double standard.  And this insistence that one group has to just endlessly absorb jabs the equivalent of which are treated as national tragedies when directed at other groups creates the resentment that then makes politics more racially polarized.  

People on the Left then pretend to not understand why the Left is losing support from white working and middle class Americans who feel abandoned by that end of the political spectrum.  

complaining about things being unfair seems...snowflakey.

I agree that the left generally overuses the term "racist" and lobs these kind of accusations at folks who may simply just disagree.  When that happens, it harms meaningful conversation.

However, there are situations where folks truly are making racist comments or acting in racist ways.  In those cases, it's reasonable to call them out.

It's similar to the MeToo movement where everyone from serial rapists to folks who didn't break any rules but made a girl feel bad, get lumped into the same group and are all thrown out.

So many babies being thrown out with the bathwater, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that taking baths is important.

Isn’t this just a long version of what I just wrote? 

“You guys shout racism all the time and we’re sick of it!” 

Trump's tweets thread is my favorite in the Political forum.   He (or someone purporting to be him)  tweets so many inflammatory, inaccurate,  and contradictory things and often mean-spirited to boot.  It absolutely amazes me that a President of the United States would say these things, especially when they are so easy to refute as BS.

Even my friends and family that love Trump admit that his tweets are often out of line and wish that he wouldn't.  
This is all true, but you're overlooking the best parts -- the grammatical errors, weird and Random use of capitalization, misspelling, etc.  His tweets are really just a perfect blend of awfulness that it almost makes them kind of endearing.

Whatever happend to MS 13? They still out killing all the white people? 

Saving it up for 2020? 
Trump managed to mention them on Monday in his diatribe against the Squad. He’s giving a rally tonight in North Carolina. No doubt they will come up. 

Wondering what the crowd will chant when he brings up the congresswomen. My bet is “go home!” 

This is all true, but you're overlooking the best parts -- the grammatical errors, weird and Random use of capitalization, misspelling, etc.  His tweets are really just a perfect blend of awfulness that it almost makes them kind of endearing.
Yes I did neglect to add that it is quite entertaining to point out all of the mistakes and goofiness.  It is kinda like Mystery Science Theater 3000

Not sure either but I’m hearing it everywhere this morning, mostly from conservative sources, as a rebuttal against criticism of President Trump’s comments. Rather than specifically address what Trump said, the argument seems to be “you guys shout racism all the time and we’re sick of it.” 
Obfuscate when you can't defend.

Trump managed to mention them on Monday in his diatribe against the Squad. He’s giving a rally tonight in North Carolina. No doubt they will come up. 

Wondering what the crowd will chant when he brings up the congresswomen. My bet is “go home!” 
only two syllables, doesn't work.

Pretty awful story. Have members of congress condemned it yet? 
I don't know, but this is pretty telling

Nineteen of the 22 defendants charged in the indictment had entered the country illegally in the last four years, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles

With all due respect this is really naive.  The American experience for blacks and whites has been, and continues to be, very different.  It appeared to be getting better, but I think has stalled or taken a step back in the last couple of years.  

It is because of this different experience that the “n” word and “cracker” do not carry the same weight and cannot be condemned equally.  

“Becky” is not racist.  

With all due respect this is really naive.  The American experience for blacks and whites has been, and continues to be, very different.  It appeared to be getting better, but I think has stalled or taken a step back in the last couple of years.  

It is because of this different experience that the “n” word and “cracker” do not carry the same weight and cannot be condemned equally.  

“Becky” is not racist.  
LOL at "cracker" isn't racist.  What is it a term of endearment?   Nothing carries the same weight as the n-bomb but that doesn't mean other terms aren't racist.

"Becky" is just stupid.

“Becky” is not racist.  
Listen I don’t think Gary needs an American civics lesson from a Canadian citizen. 

Btw I love Canada 

What if you told Ernie Els to go "back to Africa"?  Racist?
No, but it would be rude.  What makes that comment racist when saying it to a black person is that you are assuming they are from Africa based on their color or you are going our of your way to be hateful because of their color.  Telling Els to go back to Africa would be based on the fact that you know he's from Africa so it wouldn't be racist.

The difference is basing your comments on color and not actual knowledge of where they are from.

Nineteen of the 22 defendants charged in the indictment had entered the country illegally in the last four years, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles
Telling how? We already know that the vast majority of undocumented immigrants are not gang members; in fact they are typically more law abiding than native born Americans. 

So what purpose is there to for you to focus on this information other than to perpetuate a false and bigoted stereotype? 

No, but it would be rude.  What makes that comment racist when saying it to a black person is that you are assuming they are from Africa based on their color or you are going our of your way to be hateful because of their color.  Telling Els to go back to Africa would be based on the fact that you know he's from Africa so it wouldn't be racist.

The difference is basing your comments on color and not actual knowledge of where they are from.
If I told a black guy I knew was from Africa to go back to Africa is that just rude or is it racist?

“Becky” is not racist.  
You've got to be kidding. And here lies the hypocrisy, telling a group of people to just suck it up and take it. What a joke.

Telling how? We already know that the vast majority of undocumented immigrants are not gang members; in fact they are typically more law abiding than native born Americans. 

So what purpose is there to for you to focus on this information other than to perpetuate a false and bigoted stereotype? 
Aren't most MS-13 members illegals?   That's bigoted?

MS-13 has about 20 active cliques in Los Angeles, but police had previously said the gang had waned in size and influence recently. Last year, then-Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck told The Times the number of active MS-13 members in the city had dropped from about 1,000 in 2011 to between 700 and 800 in 2018.

Beck said the gang was not among the five most active in the city, but stressed that he still considered them a threat. 

Users who are viewing this thread