What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

R. Wilson Vs. C. Kaepernick (1 Viewer)

Dynasty/Keeper

• Wison

Votes: 175 59.5%
  • Kaepernick

Votes: 119 40.5%

• Total voters

Warrior

Footballguy
I've been seeing a few 'Vs' threads popping up but no matchups are as heated this season than Russell Wilson Vs. Colin Kaepernick. I've been racking my brain when trying to decide where to rank these guys, in both dynasty and redraft formats and I keep flip-flopping.

Both have great defenses and solid running games. Wilson more so, but it can be both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Both had great finishes towards the end of 2012.

I'll focus on a few major pros/cons below. Feel free to add yours.

Wilson

Pros:

-Added Percy Harvin, a dynamic receiving threat during the offseason.

-Very efficient last year in his passing opportunities.

Cons:

-Limited passing opportunities in a run-first offense (?)

Kepernick

Pros:

-Seems to scramble a bit more than Wilson, leading to more rushing yards.

-Offense seems to provide him with slightly more passing attempts than Wilson.

Cons:

-Lost his #1 receiver to major surgery.

I personally like one slightly over the other, but that opinion has changed multiple times this offseason. I think the're as close in value as any two players in the league this fantasy season.

"Limited passing opportunities in a run-first offense (?)" should be a con for both players.

Seattle, San Fran, and the Redskins finished in the bottom 3 for passing attempts per game.

The Niners average 1.9 passing attempts per game more than the Seahawks. Is that really grounds to be a "pro"?

Kaepernick averaged only 1 yard per game rushing more than Wilson did last season.

:fishy:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Limited passing opportunities in a run-first offense (?)" should be a con for both players.

Seattle, San Fran, and the Redskins finished in the bottom 3 for passing attempts per game.

The Niners average 1.9 passing attempts per game more than the Seahawks. Is that really grounds to be a "pro"?

Kaepernick averaged only 1 yard per game rushing more than Wilson did last season.

Did your calculations include playoffs? If so, I take it back. If not, I stand firm.

Did your calculations include playoffs? If so, I take it back. If not, I stand firm.
You do realize you are still wrong on all those points even if you include playoffs (which Im certain you didn't, but are attempting to look right now that the stats were laid out). Any bump in either direction would be minute and not of statistical significance.

Anyways, to answer you question and how I voted I would pick Wilson in both formats. It was a lot closer before Crabtree was injured. Wilson also has a few more games under his belt so I believe what he did last year a bit more.

Anyways, to answer you question and how I voted I would pick Wilson in both formats. It was a lot closer before Crabtree was injured. Wilson also has a few more games under his belt so I believe what he did last year a bit more.
Wilson's height worries me, but it sure didn't give him any issue last year. Hard to ding him for it.

Voted Russell in both...like him more as a pure QB. Redraft would have been close if not for Crabtree's injury.

You do realize you are still wrong on all those points even if you include playoffs (which Im certain you didn't, but are attempting to look right now that the stats were laid out). Any bump in either direction would be minute and not of statistical significance.
Disagree. Thanks for trolling though.

We can always count on you to be impartial.

Disagree.Thanks for trolling though.

To be fair, includiing the playoffs, Wilson had 16.1 completions per game to Kaep's 16.3. If you account for Wilson being yanked when up by 50 and add Matt Flynn's miserable 5 completions, the Seahawks QB's would be at 16.4 completions per game. Nothing amazing but also nothing polarizing.

Kaep is a good QB, but Wilson has focus and drive that we don't see very often. I think Kaepernick will plateau far before Wilson.

Warrior said:
ImTheScientist said:
Warrior said:
ImTheScientist said:

Disagree. Thanks for trolling though.

You Disagree with facts? Now that's a troll.

Wilson in both formats for me. In redraft its really not close. Keap just lost his best WR and outside of V. Davis appears to have nobody around to catch passes. Wilson just received a huge upgrade to his weapons with Harvin.

I also voted for Wilson in dynasty because I think he the more talented player of the 2.

Wilson in both formats for me. In redraft its really not close. Keap just lost his best WR and outside of V. Davis appears to have nobody around to catch passes. Wilson just received a huge upgrade to his weapons with Harvin.

I also voted for Wilson in dynasty because I think he the more talented player of the 2.
For redraft, 100% agree. The loss of Crabtree and addition of Harvin dramatically tilts the advantage to Wilson for 2013.

Regarding talent, would be interested to hear the reason for your view. I'm a huge Russell Wilson fan - all it took was 1 year watching him at UW to realize he's a special player. While others compare him to Drew Brees, I see him more as a cross between Brees (accuracy) and Rodgers (athleticism paired with passing ability).

That said, Kaepernick has the chance to be special. Harbaugh appears to be a great coach with the ability to get the most out of his players, & he handpicked Kaepernick. He is hard working, driven, at least as athletic as Wilson. He doesn't appear to be as good a passer - but the jury is still out there.

anquan boldin is nothing? harbaugh needs to let Vern loose.

give me Kaeper, regardless of format
Did you watch Boldin at all last year? I have about the same odds of creating separation this year vs DBs
yes I did, did you?

week16 vs NYG - 7 catches 93 yards

round1 playoffs vs Indy - 5 catches 145 yards & 1 td

round2 playoffs vs Den - 6 catches for 70 yards

round3 playoffs vs NE - 5 catches for 60 yards & 2 tds

Superbowl - 6 catches for 104 yards & 1 td

he was a beast down the stretch

averaged over 16 yards per reception, the dude can play, still

discount Boldins ability to produce at your own risk, I dont think Baltimore used him right at all in that offense, and when then finally didid guess what, they won the superbowl.

Who cares about separation when the dude outmuscles the DBs for the ball?

I agree with this. Wilson is the more talented - not by much, but by enough to give him the nod.

For redraft, 100% agree. The loss of Crabtree and addition of Harvin dramatically tilts the advantage to Wilson for 2013.Regarding talent, would be interested to hear the reason for your view. I'm a huge Russell Wilson fan - all it took was 1 year watching him at UW to realize he's a special player. While others compare him to Drew Brees, I see him more as a cross between Brees (accuracy) and Rodgers (athleticism paired with passing ability).

That said, Kaepernick has the chance to be special. Harbaugh appears to be a great coach with the ability to get the most out of his players, & he handpicked Kaepernick. He is hard working, driven, at least as athletic as Wilson. He doesn't appear to be as good a passer - but the jury is still out there.
I've said it in many other Keap threads but what I don't like is he doesn't progress through his reads. He pretty much sticks with his 1st or 2nd option only all his plays and only rods half the field right now. Wilson is much further along in that respect and he does everything you want a QB to do, just isn't tall.

ImTheScientist said:
"Per game" is a little misleading when comparing Kaepernick and Wilson last year. Kaepernick played sparingly in 5 games, bringing down his "per game" averages. He started 7 and pretty much played an entire four quarters in another game he didn't start. If you take just those 8 regular season games, then he averaged about 7.5 more yards rushing yards per game.

IMO their talent is similar enough that neither deserves a significant edge over the other based on talent/skills.

Though Wilson started more games in the NFL so far, Kaepernick had the benefit of watching and learning for 1+ seasons, and both of them played 4 college seasons after redshirting. So their experience is a wash.

They both play for good coaching staffs, so I don't see any edge there.

They both play for teams with strong defenses and running games, so I don't see any edge in situation.

Wilson has a stronger supporting cast on offense, which is what ultimately makes the difference IMO. Voted Wilson for both redraft and dynasty. But it's close.

This guy

That said, Wilson isn't far behind in either. Wilson is also going to be very, very, very good and probably a safer bet for a longer period of time. But Kaep's upside is silly and has upside to win a week for you single-handedly.

Did you watch Boldin at all last year? I have about the same odds of creating separation this year vs DBs
yes I did, did you?

discount Boldins ability to produce at your own risk, I dont think Baltimore used him right at all in that offense, and when then finally didid guess what, they won the superbowl.

What about the rest of the season when Boldin showed a remarkable ability NOT to get targets OR outmuscle DBs for the ball? Look, he's one of my all-time favorite players, but the dude is old and can't get even minor separation anymore. If you think outmuscling guys is a sustainable offensive gameplan, then consider Boldin a stud WR in waiting.

yes I did, did you?

What about the rest of the season when Boldin showed a remarkable ability NOT to get targets OR outmuscle DBs for the ball? Look, he's one of my all-time favorite players, but the dude is old and can't get even minor separation anymore. If you think outmuscling guys is a sustainable offensive gameplan, then consider Boldin a stud WR in waiting.
Im sure he will have more targets this year, no Tory smith (or Crabtree).

he ranked as wr32 according to FBG, and most of the season he was 2nd fiddle to Tory Smith on a run first team.

Not hard to see him improve on those numbers being the defacto #1 target in SF. His 2nd half of the season looks really good.

Final 8 games of the 2012 season for both:

Code:
		Completions	Attempts	Comp %	Yards	Av per Attempt	TDs	INT	Rush Att	Rush YDS	Average	Rush TDsKaepernick	131		209		62.6	1725	8.35		10	3	50		304		6.08	3Wilson		123		183		67.2	1652	9.02		16	2	58		361		6.22	4

Completions Attempts Comp % Yards Av per Attempt TDs INT Rush Att Rush YDS Average Rush TDsKaepernick 131 209 62.6 1725 8.35 10 3 50 304 6.08 3Wilson 123 183 67.2 1652 9.02 16 2 58 361 6.22 4
Yeah, this is what worries me about Kaepernick - 10 TDs in 8 games, and that was WITH Crabtree healthy. What happens now when he has zero red-zone threats to throw at?

Additionally, he scored < 20 fantasy points (standard scoring) in half of those 8 games. Contrast that with Russell Wilson or Drew Brees - each had 1 game < 20 pts over the same span.

Kaepernick could outright win a couple of fantasy games for you this year, but he could also lose a few outright.....

Completions Attempts Comp % Yards Av per Attempt TDs INT Rush Att Rush YDS Average Rush TDsKaepernick 131 209 62.6 1725 8.35 10 3 50 304 6.08 3Wilson 123 183 67.2 1652 9.02 16 2 58 361 6.22 4
That's nice, but you're comparing Kaep's first 8 games as a starter to Wilson's 9th-16th games as a starter. Why not compare those #'s of Kaep's to Wilson's first 8 games of the season?

Completions Attempts Comp % Yards Av per Attempt TDs INT Rush Att Rush YDS Average Rush TDsKaepernick 131 209 62.6 1725 8.35 10 3 50 304 6.08 3Wilson 129 210 61.4 1466 6.98 10 8 36 128 3.55 0Paints a little bit of a different picture. Kaep had an extra year, but still it was his first time starting. Wilson was reigned in at first then opened up. Either way, it's all a very small sample size and both guys benefited from a couple big games that skewed the numbers a bit.

I would hope that Kaepernick would be prepared after spending a season and a half in the NFL. It's not like he only spent a third of the reps with the 1st team in camp before being thrown into the fray.

The stats I listed were just data points from the same time. If you don't think those are acurate depictions of Kaepernick or Wilson, well... that's up to you. But if I said would you rather have had Kaep or Wilson for the second half of the season I'm pretty sure you'd go with Wilson.

That's nice, but you're comparing Kaep's first 8 games as a starter to Wilson's 9th-16th games as a starter. Why not compare those #'s of Kaep's to Wilson's first 8 games of the season?

Completions Attempts Comp % Yards Av per Attempt TDs INT Rush Att Rush YDS Average Rush TDsKaepernick 131 209 62.6 1725 8.35 10 3 50 304 6.08 3Wilson 129 210 61.4 1466 6.98 10 8 36 128 3.55 0Paints a little bit of a different picture. Kaep had an extra year, but still it was his first time starting. Wilson was reigned in at first then opened up. Either way, it's all a very small sample size and both guys benefited from a couple big games that skewed the numbers a bit.
Except that your point (and the preference of Kaep over Wilson) presumes that Kaep will progress...as much as Wilson did. While you are certainly free to presume that progression (despite him not having Crabtree), I don't understand how people are stating that they prefer Kaep "by a mile", as Wilson has (albeit briefly) done what Kaep hopes to.

If we presume that both are about equal in their abilities - or at least that their differences are so slight as to not weigh too heavily, Wilson has already proven some degree of success and has a better supporting cast, both now and for the foreseeable future.

As owner of one, would you trade him straight up for the other? I don't think Wilson owners would.

Except that your point (and the preference of Kaep over Wilson) presumes that Kaep will progress...as much as Wilson did. While you are certainly free to presume that progression (despite him not having Crabtree), I don't understand how people are stating that they prefer Kaep "by a mile", as Wilson has (albeit briefly) done what Kaep hopes to.

If we presume that both are about equal in their abilities - or at least that their differences are so slight as to not weigh too heavily, Wilson has already proven some degree of success and has a better supporting cast, both now and for the foreseeable future.

As owner of one, would you trade him straight up for the other? I don't think Wilson owners would.
Not necessarily. It could assume that Kaep progresses somewhat, and Wilson regresses somewhat. Or that the sample size we're talking about - 8 games - is small enough that differences in TD % will even out over a 16-game season. Etc. So know, that isn't the only point which can be gleaned from the data.

i like Kaep here this year. He's had another year with Harbaugh and their system. He is benefiting from a full offseason as the starter too.

Warrior said:
ImTheScientist said:
Disagree.Thanks for trolling though.

To be fair, includiing the playoffs, Wilson had 16.1 completions per game to Kaep's 16.3. If you account for Wilson being yanked when up by 50 and add Matt Flynn's miserable 5 completions, the Seahawks QB's would be at 16.4 completions per game. Nothing amazing but also nothing polarizing.

Kaep is a good QB, but Wilson has focus and drive that we don't see very often. I think Kaepernick will plateau far before Wilson.
That's the difference for me as well. I like Wilson's intangibles a bit more. Other than that, I think it's a wash.

And Kaep isn't devoid of intangibles. It's just that Wilson's seem to be off the charts in terms of drive and dedication to the craft. He seems to really get it in terms of the preparation and cerebral side of the game. I still get the feeling that Kaepernick kinda wings it at times and depends on athelticism too much.

But in the end, I wouldn't fault anyone for ranking either of them just ahead of the other.

I would hope that Kaepernick would be prepared after spending a season and a half in the NFL. It's not like he only spent a third of the reps with the 1st team in camp before being thrown into the fray.

The stats I listed were just data points from the same time. If you don't think those are acurate depictions of Kaepernick or Wilson, well... that's up to you. But if I said would you rather have had Kaep or Wilson for the second half of the season I'm pretty sure you'd go with Wilson.
Good posting. Kaep's first 8 games aren't comparable to Wilson's first 8 anymore than Aaron Rodger's first 8 are. Kaepernick had a season and half of film study and practice reps before he started. Wilson had a training camp.

Both had an advantage that the other lacked. I don't think we can name a clear winner in that respect.

You can cherry pick the stats anyway you want to swing a bias on things. In my opinion, the guy you want is Kaepernick. Harvin is a nice weapon but there is no one dominate who can catch 10 - 12TDs for Russell Wilson to help inflate his numbers.

Kaepernick has a better chance of going off for some long TD runs. It's very close but I give the edge to Kaepernick.

Good posting. Kaep's first 8 games aren't comparable to Wilson's first 8 anymore than Aaron Rodger's first 8 are. Kaepernick had a season and half of film study and practice reps before he started. Wilson had a training camp.

Both had an advantage that the other lacked. I don't think we can name a clear winner in that respect.
 Do you think that film study and practice reps are equivalent to actual game time?

Do you think that film study and practice reps are equivalent to actual game time?
Not at all. Do I think 18 months with a well run NFL team is enough to prep a QB to start games without much a learning curve? Yes.
Well sure, it's better than 0 months. But what we're really debating is which is better prep: a) 18 months with a well-run NFL team, or b) a full training camp + 8 games as a starter. I'll pick option b, but can understand how reasonable minds might disagree.

Not at all. Do I think 18 months with a well run NFL team is enough to prep a QB to start games without much a learning curve? Yes.
Well sure, it's better than 0 months. But what we're really debating is which is better prep: a) 18 months with a well-run NFL team, or b) a full training camp + 8 games as a starter. I'll pick option b, but can understand how reasonable minds might disagree.
Wilson didn't really get a full camp. For most of it he was playing 2nd & 3rd string trying to get the job.

And Kaepernick was on the sidelines for 24 games, two camps and took part in seven real NFL games, albiet if only briefly, before taking the reins for the first time (and 8 preseason games but I don't put much stock in that). I'm also not suggesting that all of Wilsons first eight games we're equivalent to that experience, but I'd guess that after four or five games Wilson found his NFL legs and perhaps it took the coaches a few more games to realize this and take the training wheels off. Personally, I just don't feel that their stats from the last 8 games of the season are all that disparate from an experience perspective.

Wilson didn't have a full training camp as a starter last year. So you are mischaracterizing what we are debating. Wilson had one training camp in which he split reps with 2 other QBs. Kaepernick has had two training camps, and an entire season and offseason of backup duty that Wilson did not have.

The question is how 8 games as a starter, and all the attendant practices as the #1 QB in those 8 game weeks differs from Kaepernick practicing as the #2 QB for 1.5 seasons. To me, it's close enough that it's a wash.

Wilson didn't really get a full camp. For most of it he was playing 2nd & 3rd string trying to get the job.

And Kaepernick was on the sidelines for 24 games, two camps and took part in seven real NFL games, albiet if only briefly, before taking the reins for the first time (and 8 preseason games but I don't put much stock in that). I'm also not suggesting that all of Wilsons first eight games we're equivalent to that experience, but I'd guess that after four or five games Wilson found his NFL legs and perhaps it took the coaches a few more games to realize this and take the training wheels off. Personally, I just don't feel that their stats from the last 8 games of the season are all that disparate from an experience perspective.
:goodposting:

Wilson didn't have a full training camp as a starter last year. So you are mischaracterizing what we are debating. Wilson had one training camp in which he split reps with 2 other QBs. Kaepernick has had two training camps, and an entire season and offseason of backup duty that Wilson did not have.

The question is how 8 games as a starter, and all the attendant practices as the #1 QB in those 8 game weeks differs from Kaepernick practicing as the #2 QB for 1.5 seasons. To me, it's close enough that it's a wash.
Wait, so Wilson didn't have a full training camp as a starter....but Kaepernick did?

Users who are viewing this thread