What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racial profiling and discrimination thread (4 Viewers)

So they went into a business, didn't purchase anything, were asked to leave, and then refused?
In the video, one of the officers can be heard saying the men were asked to leave the café, but if that happened and the reasons for that remain unclear.

So having to point it out everytime is OCD or what?  :)
No, when what someone means is “I want to change the meaning of this anti-racist term to mean people who don’t like racism are annoying” I point out that they’re using it wrong to remind people that term is actually important with its real meaning.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a little latte to this thread.   I will say that the video piked my interest.  I think that Squis posted this because he needed to vente, not to brew up trouble.  One of the great things about being an Americano is being able to espresso your feelings. 
Golf clap

I’m a little latte to this thread.   I will say that the video piked my interest.  I think that Squis posted this because he needed to vente, not to brew up trouble.  One of the great things about being an Americano is being able to espresso your feelings. 
:bow:

Squis takes a lot of heat for starting threads like this. But it’s something he feels passionate about. He won’t back down. And that takes real scones.

No, when what someone means is “I want to change the meaning of this anti-racist term to mean people who don’t like racism are annoying” I point out that they’re using it wrong to remind people that term is actually important with its real meaning.  
It seems like anytime there is a discussion of something that is race related or there is the suggestion of racism or any talk of racial profiling, the accusation is that the OP is race baiting.

It seems like anytime there is a discussion of something that is race related or there is the suggestion of racism or any talk of racial profiling, the accusation is that the OP is race baiting.
It’s a rather conscious effort going on to change the meaning of all terms used to describe behavior by racists. 

It’s a rather conscious effort going on to change the meaning of all terms used to describe behavior by racists. 
Not to mention, it's generally a good idea that if you are going to communicate with words to understand what those words mean. I guess I'm old-fashioned like that.

Ana Navarro‏ @ananavarro 58m58 minutes ago

Some people think there is no such thing as racial profiling. That it is made-up or an exaggeration. It’s not. This type of thing still happens in America. People get arrested for doing nothing...but being black or being Hispanic.

@Starbucks, you got some explaining to do.

https://twitter.com/ananavarro/status/985189998357106688
Anyone that says they have never racially profiled is a liar.

Do you care about that like you care about other words evolving?  Or since this term has social power you stand up for its static meaning more so than standing up for a less socially powerful term for instance literally.

Do you care about that like you care about other words evolving?  Or since this term has social power you stand up for its static meaning more so than standing up for a less socially powerful term for instance literally.
I do actually stand up for literally. 

I do actually stand up for literally. 
I wish people wouldn't use 'literally' to mean really, or very, or truly, or seriously ... but every one of the words I just listed once meant what 'literally' is supposed to mean today. It's inevitable that any word that currently means 'not figuratively' will eventually just become another intensifier.

Still, I think fighting against that degradation, while hopeless, is worthwhile.

Why do you call it degradation?  Not merely evolution?  What point in time should we roll back definitions?  Do you have an opinion on the words meat or wonder?
The argument that it is degradation is usually based in the fact that you’re taking a word that has a precise meaning and giving it another meaning that means the opposite or the same thing as another word with a precise meaning.  Which makes it harder to give precise meaning to words which makes it harder to communicate effectively.  Which degrades language. 

The argument that it is degradation is usually based in the fact that you’re taking a word that has a precise meaning and giving it another meaning that means the opposite or the same thing as another word with a precise meaning.  Which makes it harder to give precise meaning to words which makes it harder to communicate effectively.  Which degrades language. 
Do you think there is a particular point in time words should have stopped changing definitions?

Joy Reid‏ @JoyAnnReid 2h2 hours ago

How revealing that a @Starbucks employee, who works in a place where people spend hours sitting around using the wifi and tapping away on their laptops with or without coffee, gets alarmed enough to call the cops just because black men enter the space and don’t order right away.
W. Earl Sparrow Jr.‏ @MrSparrow 45m45 minutes ago

Replying to @JoyAnnReid @Starbucks

I can't wait to hear this 911 call.

Manager: Police I have an emergency. 2 black men are sitting in my shop and they haven't ordered anything.

Dispatcher: OK. The police are en route. Try not to provoke them. I'll stay on the line with you until they get there.

Can't wait to hear the 911 call.

'We have 2 black men in the shop and they've been here a long time and haven't ordered anything.'
'So why are you calling 911?'
'Um..............................................cause they are black and haven't ordered anything. They must be scoping us out'.

Man if I'm one of these dudes, I am getting Jackie Chiles and at least getting a lifetime supply of free starbucks.  Now for real, I am taking them and the police department to the cleaners. This type of #### has got to stop. 

Now....wtf is this in the politics forum? I figured it would be squisition starting the thread because he lives for this #### so I checked here first but is there a legit reason this is even at all political?

EDIT: Mine is way better than the one posted before mine.

That is because people are morons and sheep a lot of the time.  This is one of those instances and no offense but you aren’t helping.
Yeah, let's punish a company that employs nearly a quarter of million people and actually tries to take care of them with benefits, retirement and college assistance because of one isolated incident.  People are stupid.

Now....wtf is this in the politics forum? I figured it would be squisition starting the thread because he lives for this #### so I checked here first but is there a legit reason this is even at all political.
Megaton  jon_mx  Calvitron, not surprised you didn't bother to actually read the thread before posting. This has already been addressed. Issues about racial profiling and race based discrimination are generally considered political discussions, as is other race related subject matter. I noted that, in the thread a couple weeks back about the VT Women's Lacrosse Team singing the "N" word in a song, not one person (including you) raised the issue or complained that the thread was in the wrong forum.

One would think so, but #BoycottStarbucks hashtag is still trending near the top at Twitter for some reason, despite the apology:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/BoycottStarbucks?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A985281777815212032
Conservatives  are already boycotting, now black people are boycotting. Still a few groups left to offend.

I would join the boycott but I hate Starbucks coffee and never go there.  Dunkin Donut coffee for me...have they kicked anyone out lately??

Matthias said:
Unfair to give squish a hard time about this thread, though. Race relations in the US, and how #### like this can happen except never when you're white, is 100% a political issue. Or at least an issue the body politic should concern itself with.
Tough in a city area.  Business do not want people to loiter. From what I heard those guys did not order yet were taking a booth..when asked to order or leave they did neither. In a suburban area not sure the same would have happened.

I know it is different because all black people were involved... but 2 weeks ago I was in downtown Indy with my daughter...we left Kilroy's bar and went to the Steak and Shake across from the Hyatt.  The staff was almost all black.  A black guys walks in and is hanging around and sits at a table..manager says "Are you ordering?" The guy says maybe ...manager comes up 5 minutes later and says  "You can`t take a table without ordering..  guy does not order but won`t leave.   Two of the guys cooking burgers walk up and drag him out of his chair and slam him through the door head first and toss him outside in the street.  Then go right back to cooking burgers. Manager back at the register.

My daughter who is 23 could not believe it..they acted like it was just business as usual.

Tough in a city area.  Business do not want people to loiter. From what I heard those guys did not order yet were taking a booth..when asked to order or leave they did neither. In a suburban area not sure the same would have happened.

I know it is different because all black people were involved... but 2 weeks ago I was in downtown Indy with my daughter...we left Kilroy's bar and went to the Steak and Shake across from the Hyatt.  The staff was almost all black.  A black guys walks in and is hanging around and sits at a table..manager says "Are you ordering?" The guy says maybe ...manager comes up 5 minutes later and says  "You can`t take a table without ordering..  guy does not order but won`t leave.   Two of the guys cooking burgers walk up and drag him out of his chair and slam him through the door head first and toss him outside in the street.  Then go right back to cooking burgers. Manager back at the register.

My daughter who is 23 could not believe it..they acted like it was just business as usual.
Bunch of Uncle Toms. 

Joy Reid is way off base on this one. 

Everything that happens in the world is not for racist reasons. 

Matthias said:
Unfair to give squish a hard time about this thread, though. Race relations in the US, and how #### like this can happen except never when you're white, is 100% a political issue. Or at least an issue the body politic should concern itself with.
He's reported others for using anything other than Squistion to refer to him.  

Joy Reid is way off base on this one. 

Everything that happens in the world is not for racist reasons. 
That is a Straw Man. She wasn't saying or suggesting that. How many times in the past do you think that Starbucks employee called the police because someone white sat at a table for the same period of time without ordering? I would bet not once.

W. Earl Sparrow Jr.‏ @MrSparrow 45m45 minutes ago

Replying to @JoyAnnReid @Starbucks

I can't wait to hear this 911 call.

Manager: Police I have an emergency. 2 black men are sitting in my shop and they haven't ordered anything.

Dispatcher: OK. The police are en route. Try not to provoke them. I'll stay on the line with you until they get there.
Can't believe Joy Reid is upset by this honestly

Users who are viewing this thread