What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ramsey may be heading to the Jets (1 Viewer)

LBH

Footballguy
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/394879p-334786c.html

Ramsey still on Jets' radar

May take over for Pennington

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jets might add Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey should Chad Pennington refuse to take a pay cut.

INDIANAPOLIS - Chad Pennington is the quarterback of the Jets for now, but the team already may have its eyes on his replacement.

The Washington Redskins are shopping quarterback Patrick Ramsey, coach Joe Gibbs admitted yesterday, and the Jets apparently are one of the teams that already have called. That's hardly surprising since they also inquired about the 27-year-old backup during the season right after Pennington hurt his shoulder.

At the time, the Redskins' price was too high. But their demands are almost certainly lower now that they're frantically trying to shed about $20 million to get under the projected salary cap by Thursday afternoon. They don't necessarily have to trade Ramsey to get there, but that's apparently part of their plans. In fact, they've given Ramsey's agent, Jimmy Sexton, permission to seek a deal, too.

"It's something we're trying to gain information about and letting them talk and visit and seeing what situations may be out there," Gibbs said. "And we're doing the same thing. We'll see if there's a fit. It has to make sense for us and make sense for both sides."

Ramsey, who made just one start and threw only 25passes last season, is scheduled to make $1.7 million in 2006, the final year of his contract, which is about $7 million less than Pennington is scheduled to make.

Of course, the Jets still are negotiating with Pennington, who rejected their initial offer to slash his pay by $8 million. His agent, Tom Condon, and Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum were expected to meet here at the scouting combine yesterday to see if they could reach an agreement before Friday, when Pennington's $3 million roster bonus is due.

If they can't, Pennington could be released, which would definitely put the Jets in the market for a veteran quarterback. They're also believed to be eyeing Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler with the fourth pick in the draft.

As a Pats fan (i.e. Jets rival) who thinks Ramsey will be nothing more than a decent QB I welcome his addition to the Jets.

If they can get him for cheap this would be a quality move. I personally like him. He took a ton of hits playing for the run n gun with Spurrier. You cannot rate him on that. He never had blocking. This could be a quality move and then draft Ferguson.

God I hate the Jets.

as a skins fan, I always felt that Ramsey's big problem was confidence. He has a hell of an arm, just tries way to hard to force the ball, then when he makes one mistake, he continues to try to force the ball to make up for it.

I always thought he showed promise as Washingtons apparent QB of the future. Also thought he had pretty nice chemistry with Coles. If the Jets could get him cheap, I would consider it a very nice move

Bengals should acquire Ramsey as a spot starter/insurance until Palmer's back at 100%.

He has the kind of arm to suit the Bengal offense, unike Kitna.

I hope Ramsey gets a legitimate shot with someone. Gibbs has nearly ruined this guy and he deserves better. He may not be a good QB but at least he deserves better treatment than he got in Wash. And he definately desrves more than a few pass attempts to prove it.

I hope Ramsey gets a legitimate shot with someone. Gibbs has nearly ruined this guy and he deserves better. He may not be a good QB but at least he deserves better treatment than he got in Wash. And he definately desrves more than a few pass attempts to prove it.
I don't know man. I think Spurrier was his ruin, and Gibbs won't take the time to teach him.As a Jets fan I have no idea what to think. Because who knows what ramsey really is??

Last edited by a moderator:
he was ruined long before Gibbs came along. Gibbs watched the tapes and knew Ramsey wasn't going to be the QB for him, thus the moves for Brunell and Jason Campbell. Gibbs couldn't help that he inherited Ramsey, a QB he doesn't think can cut it. He tried to make the most of it and Ramsey couldn't answer the call.

Ramsey wasn't even that good in college. Once he goes to another team and sucks maybe ya'll will come around to the realization that he isn't good. I have

he was ruined long before Gibbs came along. Gibbs watched the tapes and knew Ramsey wasn't going to be the QB for him, thus the moves for Brunell and Jason Campbell. Gibbs couldn't help that he inherited Ramsey, a QB he doesn't think can cut it. He tried to make the most of it and Ramsey couldn't answer the call.
Let's assume for the moment you are right. Then why in the world did Gibbs make Ramset the starter? Only to pull him before he finished the game? That's what I'm talking about jbz. If he felt that way he should of gotten ride of Ramset when drafted Cambell because clearly he never liked him and yet he put him in what can only be describbed as an embarrassing and cruel situation. Gibbs handled very poorly and at this lids expense. And OBTW-Brunell isn't exactly the guy I would want leading my team. His 2nd half was more representative of his real performance than his first half was. In fact if not for his first half he would be the worse QB ever over a 2 year period. I'm talking worse than Boleer. That's how bad he is now.

Let's assume for the moment you are right. Then why in the world did Gibbs make Ramset the starter? Only to pull him before he finished the game? That's what I'm talking about jbz. If he felt that way he should of gotten ride of Ramset when drafted Cambell because clearly he never liked him and yet he put him in what can only be describbed as an embarrassing and cruel situation. Gibbs handled very poorly and at this lids expense. And OBTW-Brunell isn't exactly the guy I would want leading my team. His 2nd half was more representative of his real performance than his first half was. In fact if not for his first half he would be the worse QB ever over a 2 year period. I'm talking worse than Boleer. That's how bad he is now.
Let's handle your questions in order. Gibbs made him the starter last offseason because Ramsey had outplayed Brunell and Gibbs (maybe mistakenly) had said or been forced to say that Ramsey would be the starter going into the next season.

He pulled him after a quarter because 1) he was injured, 2) Ramsey had had a bad preseason (or had you forgotten how awful he looked), and 3) Brunell was clearly a different guy than the injured guy that had hobbled around since the Giants game the year before.

Finally, Gibbs handled the situation so poorly that the team made the playoffs for only the second time in 14 seasons.

The truth is that Ramsey has been beaten around for 7 straight seasons: 4 at Tulane, 2 under Spurrier, and 1 under Gibbs during Gibbs' first year with injury problems on the line. He's always looked jittery. I've always found it interesting that his best performances have often come when he's appeared in relief in games, such as at Tennessee during his rookie season and against the Giants this last year. I've wondered whether he overthinks his role when he has an entire week to prepare.

He certainly needs a fresh start somewhere, but let's not get carried away with how much he's gotten screwed by Gibbs.

I don't know man. I think Spurrier was his ruin, and Gibbs won't take the time to teach him.As a Jets fan I have no idea what to think. Because who knows what ramsey really is??
Tulane fans.Here's the thing - Ramsey's got a solid arm and is extremely intelligent. Unfortunately, he's also extremely coachable - which means Spurrier's BS actually stuck around in his head. He needs a coach like Herm Edwards. Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and Edwards isn't the coach of the Jets anymore.

Let's handle your questions in order. Gibbs made him the starter last offseason because Ramsey had outplayed Brunell and Gibbs (maybe mistakenly) had said or been forced to say that Ramsey would be the starter going into the next season.

He pulled him after a quarter because 1) he was injured, 2) Ramsey had had a bad preseason (or had you forgotten how awful he looked), and 3) Brunell was clearly a different guy than the injured guy that had hobbled around since the Giants game the year before.

Finally, Gibbs handled the situation so poorly that the team made the playoffs for only the second time in 14 seasons.

The truth is that Ramsey has been beaten around for 7 straight seasons: 4 at Tulane, 2 under Spurrier, and 1 under Gibbs during Gibbs' first year with injury problems on the line. He's always looked jittery. I've always found it interesting that his best performances have often come when he's appeared in relief in games, such as at Tennessee during his rookie season and against the Giants this last year. I've wondered whether he overthinks his role when he has an entire week to prepare.

He certainly needs a fresh start somewhere, but let's not get carried away with how much he's gotten screwed by Gibbs.
Ramsey's biggest problem is right here. I think a guy like Edwards (if he's committed to getting the kid out of his own head) can fix this. Sadly, that's no longer an option since Edwards bailed out.

Tulane fans.Here's the thing - Ramsey's got a solid arm and is extremely intelligent. Unfortunately, he's also extremely coachable - which means Spurrier's BS actually stuck around in his head. He needs a coach like Herm Edwards. I like the idea of him being a Jet for both the Jets and him. Sounds like a win-win.
Last time I checked Herm Edwards wasn't the jets coach.......you just pulled a vince young!! :lmao:

Tulane fans.Here's the thing - Ramsey's got a solid arm and is extremely intelligent. Unfortunately, he's also extremely coachable - which means Spurrier's BS actually stuck around in his head. He needs a coach like Herm Edwards. I like the idea of him being a Jet for both the Jets and him. Sounds like a win-win.
Last time I checked Herm Edwards wasn't the jets coach.......you just pulled a vince young!! :lmao:
D'OH!Jesus, I can't believe I just did that.

Its cool.....I really just wanted to put in a vince young reference. I do agree with your line of thinking :thumbup: Ramsey is good, just needs a good coach.

Well I have to say that after reading your post a few times I'm even more confused than before. Let's see if I follow you here. First you said:
Gibbs made him the starter last offseason because Ramsey had outplayed Brunell
And then you said:
Ramsey had had a bad preseason
After that I felt you were as confused as Gibbs obviuosly was. Like I said, Gibbs clearly made mistakes in his handling of Ramsey. Please understand Gibbs is one of my favorite coaches of alltime. I was a fan when he was weinning all those Super Bowls with 2 different QB's. So I've seen how he handles things. This time things were out of hcaracter for him. Now if you're suggesting he was made to make Ramsey the starter by this comment:

Gibbs (maybe mistakenly) had said or been forced to say that Ramsey would be the starter
Because of Snyder or someone than I will say I think you don't know Gibbs very well. Gibbs would never be forced to do anything he didn't want to. He would not be coaching in a climate like that I can assure you. The facts are he handled it poorly and he never liked Ramsey from the time he got there. He jerked the guy around and that's not like him. He lost some of his integrity IMO.

Brunell stunk up the joint in 2004. Ramsey stepped in and played decently. Gibbs insisted that Brunell wasn't done as a Redskin and the offense was better under Ramsey because the whole team was playing better. At the end of 2004, Gibbs said Ramsey was the guy and they "hoped" he could take them to the playoffs. Gibbs never fully supported Ramsey publicly. He gave Ramsey an entire offseason and preseason to take hold of the position. He didn't. When Ramsey went down week one, the door opened for Brunell, who was healthy again, and Gibbs didn't hesitate. He had to give Ramsey the first shot because that's who had been taking 90% of the snaps in practice. The offense was a disaster when Brunell first stepped in, partly because they had practiced with Ramsey. After a couple weeks, things fell into place for a while. Gibbs did what was best for the team, IMO.

Well I have to say that after reading your post a few times I'm even more confused than before. Let's see if I follow you here. First you said:
And then you said:
After that I felt you were as confused as Gibbs obviuosly was. Like I said, Gibbs clearly made mistakes in his handling of Ramsey. Please understand Gibbs is one of my favorite coaches of alltime. I was a fan when he was weinning all those Super Bowls with 2 different QB's. So I've seen how he handles things. This time things were out of hcaracter for him. Now if you're suggesting he was made to make Ramsey the starter by this comment:

Gibbs (maybe mistakenly) had said or been forced to say that Ramsey would be the starter
Because of Snyder or someone than I will say I think you don't know Gibbs very well. Gibbs would never be forced to do anything he didn't want to. He would not be coaching in a climate like that I can assure you. The facts are he handled it poorly and he never liked Ramsey from the time he got there. He jerked the guy around and that's not like him. He lost some of his integrity IMO.
I wont disagree that I think Ramsey was set up to fail this past year. However you have to look at the fact that Ramsey wasn't Gibbs's guy. He was Snyder's. If you remember Snyder and Cerrato had Ramsey drafted while Spurrier was traveling, when the story came out he was in a helicopter or something IIRC. However Gibbs did not ruin Ramsey, I think Ramsey has plenty of potential. With all the coaching changes and the beatings he took with Spurrier, has made him into a QB that feels like he has to force the ball all the time.

And Gibbs likes his guys. He loves having a QB sit for a few years learning, then taking of the job. Pretty much what they are doing with Campbell now. Ramsey was never going to sit for 2 or 3 years behind Brunell.

Oh and incedently I was one of the ones critizing Gibbs over starting old number 8. But hey he did a pretty good job, don't give me the argument of "Well if you throw out his good games then he sucked". Yeah if you take away all of Peyton's TD's then he looks like a pretty pathetic QB

This is just IMO, but I think Gibbs was trying to put Ramsey in the best position to succeed and went against his gut instincts and what he had seen of Ramsey throughout the year and on film. Recall that Brunell beat out Ramsey the year before for the starting job, then Brunell got injured. Ramsey played okay in his return (horrible in some, like the Giants debacle). Gibbs goes out on a limb and names Ramsey the starter right after the season is over. IMO, this is Gibbs trying to give Ramsey confidence and a positive outlook heading into the next year. Then preseason occurs and Ramsey basically.....stinks. Brunell is consistently outplaying him in every preseason game, but Gibbs sticks to his guns and backs up Ramsey publicly. I believe Gibbs felt Ramsey need this type of support or his mental aspect of the game would struggle. Ramsey starts week 1 vs the Bears and promptly turns the ball over a few times and the Skins offense is sputtering. He gets hurt and whether it was the policitically correct way to do it, Gibbs had his window to get Brunell in. I dont think Gibbs handled the situation as smoothly as it could have been, but I really think he tried to put Ramsey in a position to succeed and Ramsey get tripping up over himself.

And then you said:

I wont disagree that I think Ramsey was set up to fail this past year. However you have to look at the fact that Ramsey wasn't Gibbs's guy. He was Snyder's. If you remember Snyder and Cerrato had Ramsey drafted while Spurrier was traveling, when the story came out he was in a helicopter or something IIRC. However Gibbs did not ruin Ramsey, I think Ramsey has plenty of potential. With all the coaching changes and the beatings he took with Spurrier, has made him into a QB that feels like he has to force the ball all the time.

And Gibbs likes his guys. He loves having a QB sit for a few years learning, then taking of the job. Pretty much what they are doing with Campbell now. Ramsey was never going to sit for 2 or 3 years behind Brunell.

Oh and incedently I was one of the ones critizing Gibbs over starting old number 8. But hey he did a pretty good job, don't give me the argument of "Well if you throw out his good games then he sucked". Yeah if you take away all of Peyton's TD's then he looks like a pretty pathetic QB
I know you're right on this but I just didn't like the way he handled it. He should of just told Ramsey you're not my guy and let him go so he could try it somewhere else. He could've been more decent to the guy is all I'm saying. I've never seen anyone get the treatment Ramsey has.

I agree with that. Gibbs is usually pretty spot on with how he treats players and their situations with the team, but I think he dropped the ball with Ramsey. Should have just said what his actions were saying all along, "Patrick, you're not our guy, we're going in a different direction". Gibbs does believe strongly in having 2 capable QBs throughout the season, so I can understand that he wasn't 100% comfortable going with old man Brunell then a rookie as his #2.

Users who are viewing this thread