What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (3 Viewers)

meeka said:
T- minus 4 days. I am not sooo ready, but I think I am ready. I am getting pretty freakin nervous. Good to read up on all the success in here. I sat down with my wife last night and we mapped out the viewing points where her and my oldest 2 boys will be cheering on Sunday. My task of running 26.2 may be easier than her task of keeping a 5 and 3 year old entertained while waiting for the 30 seconds of cheering every hour.
Nervous is good! Eat smart, stayed rested. We'll be routing for you!!!Keggers - funny, my recent Yasso's were at exactly the same times for the 800s and the 400m recovery jog.

Keggers - Nice job on the Yasso's! I usally just do 400M recovery laps on mine, too. Lots easier with the cooler weather, isn't it?! Are you training for something? Didn't you say something about your GF wanting to do RNR AZ??

pmbrown - What's your goal race? You probably told us already, but I have a hard time keeping everybody straight, and it's not in your signature...

pigskin - How'd you manage those great seats and the meet & greets?? Nice job on your 18!

wraith - Nice job on the speedwork. Long intervals SUCK, but it feels GREAT when you're done!!

meeka - You're gonna do great. Trust your training. Can't wait to read the race report. We've got you this weekend, me next weekend, and Tri-Man on the 18th. How exciting!!! :kicksrock:

Duck - Glad the Achilles is feeling better. Good luck in your pursuit of 1,300!!

2Young - How's the training been going??

tri-man - Taper madness set in yet??

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVING this cooler weather, although I could do without the wind. Anyway, up early this morning for 7 miles at 7:43 pace. I'm pretty busy this week, so I'm shuffling the schedule a little bit, but there's nothing too taxing anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Have a great day, everybody. At this time 12 days from now I'll be standing in the starting corral getting ready to do this thing!!!
What is this cooler weather of which you speak?Ran 5 miles in 50 minutes this evening - 86 degrees :rolleyes:

5 weeks to the Daytona Half Marathon :kicksrock:
I live near Gruecd...low temp last night was 31! Friggin frost warnings! High temp today is supposed to be near 60.So on RW online I read about the Yasso 800s and decided to give it a go. Near the bottom of the article it says that he starts with 4 repeats and adds one more on each subsequent week until you get to 10. Last night I did 5 repeats and felt great! Hopefully in 5 weeks I can do all 10!
That's cold! It is cooling down today a little. 62 is tonight's low but still up in the 80's during the day.Hopefully in a few weeks it drop more to make running more reasonable.

Total 236 miles for me in September, up to 1,500 for the year, putting me almost 15% of where I was last year at this time, and giving me a realistic shot at hitting 2,000 by year-end. Nothing but easy peasy miles from now 'til Chicago. Nice....
:kicksrock: :rolleyes: You were at 10k miles at this time last year?!?Now I'm impressed...

Total 236 miles for me in September, up to 1,500 for the year, putting me almost 15% of where I was last year at this time, and giving me a realistic shot at hitting 2,000 by year-end. Nothing but easy peasy miles from now 'til Chicago. Nice....
:shrug: :lmao: You were at 10k miles at this time last year?!?Now I'm impressed...
What, you weren't impressed before?? :shrug: (Fixed, by the way. Thanks for the heads-up!)

2Young - How's the training been going??
I'm really not sure. I cooked my legs doing tris on back to back weekends and really pushing myself. Instead of resting a bit, I wanted to keep rolling and rode 5 miles the day after the last event with my daughter, 12 miles hard the next day, ran 6 the next and ended up with a really sore right knee (more muscle than joint thank goodness). Rested for 4 days and then ran 8 on this past Sunday and was still sore, but found it kind of easy. Swam 3,000 yards Monday Night and 2,500 more tonight. I am going to lay off the bike until after the Detroit 1/2 on the 18th as I think this may have been the source of the knee pain. After coming real close to a PR at Chicago, I'd sure like to do it at the race where I did my 1st 1/2. After the Detroit 1/2, fun season begins with a cool dirt race on 11/8. I've rallied about 20 people todo the event, so it'll be a great party after, then its on to Detroits Turkey Trot where I will, again try to go for a sub 50 min 10k in a Santa Suit after just missing last year. THANKS FOR ASKING!!!!The whole BQ chatter is all over the place, not just here. One of my coworkers has come real close twice (including one time of less than a minute and a few seconds from qualifying). She has been hammering the training like you and feel real good about her chances (and the fact that she just turned 40 which gives her a break). Had another person I know go 3:28 in Toronto this past week to qualify in her 1st marathon ever. Two other guys I know are in and will be pacing friends in Detroit on the 18th (one of them, who is 42 ran a 1:28 1/2 down in Akron this past weekend).

You have to be GEEKED, asking you the same question you put out there to Tri-Man, how is the taper madness for you?

You have to be GEEKED, asking you the same question you put out there to Tri-Man, how is the taper madness for you?
I'm ready to go, that's for sure. Honestly, though, the taper's been good. Legs are feeling super fresh, and I've been able to avoid gaining any weight, which is hard when you're running so much less than normal. I think I've run my last couple of marathons at 215 or so, but with the higher mileage I've been able to get down around 208-210, and more importantly, I've been able to stay there. The October issue of RW said that you can reduce your marathon time by 5:27 by losing five pounds. I hope they're right.But overall, managing to stay pretty sane. I've got an easy 12 miler on Saturday or Sunday, one 6-mile run, and a 7-miler, and a couple of 4's and 5's. And other than a couple of MP miles in the middle of that 7-miler, just easy running for me until race day.Thank you for asking, too!! I think all of my friends, co-workers, etc., are getting sick of me talking about Chicago!And good luck at Detroit!! You'll get the PR for sure!

gruecd said:
pigskinliquors said:
Tri-man: you are sooo ready! What a great training run you've had.BnB: you are sooo ready as well!!
What, I'm not sooo ready, too?! :( ;)
Hopefully not because apparently that's not a good thing.Laid a big ol stinkin' turd last nite. Frustrating when you tune your training for one event. Heck, I even got specific help and workout design from a cycling coach over the last 6 weeks. I'm not sure what my time was because I forget to reset the bike computer. I just could tell that my mph wasn't there last nite. I probably averaged in the mid 25s and needed to be in the mid 26s. Not sure where I finsihed in the season points race as I didn't hang around for the official award presentations. I'd guess 4th or 5th out of roughly 50. If I did manage to hang onto a podium spot I backed into it.As far as what happened, when the call went to the engine room for more power, it wasn't returned. Need to do some testing over the next week to get an end of season baseline and then evaluate what went wrong. Well I'll likely never know what went wrong so I need to focus on shaking things up and revamping training for 2010.

gruecd said:
pmbrown - What's your goal race? You probably told us already, but I have a hard time keeping everybody straight, and it's not in your signature...
All along I have been trying to stay at about 7:30 per mile as an ideal race day pace. This is with perfect conditions and all that good stuff. I will be really excited with anything under 7:44 per mile as this will shave 1 minute per mile off my 1st marathon timing (Columbus 2007). I am feeling confident on most of the timing, but I am just not sure I can keep the 7:30 the whole time. It just seems like a long way for me to keep the pace. I know the taper will give me my energy, but I just don't want to get too excited about it and just run a race and have fun. I know if I focus too much on the time, I will not enjoy the race and that is why I am doing it. I know I have plenty of running a head of me to worry too much about time now.As for my training, last night I did an 8 miler at 8:00 per mile. I had not ran in two days, but my legs felt great and i knocked it out pretty easy with a lot in the tank left over. I really don't have a lot of long runs left. I have a 12 miler this Sunday and I think the rest is just gravy for me.

Sounds like most of the racers are well on their way to good times and fun races ahead.

gruecd said:
meeka - You're gonna do great. Trust your training. Can't wait to read the race report. We've got you this weekend, me next weekend, and Tri-Man on the 18th. How exciting!!! :popcorn:
pmbrown is on the 18th as well, and DolphinsPhan is coming in for Chicago on the 11th as well (right?) ...five marathons over the next three weeks here!
gruecd said:
tri-man - Taper madness set in yet??
Not really. Just enjoying the easier schedule. Did five miles each of the past two days, then as part of my five miles today, I did three mile repeats with one minute rests - 7:03, 6:53, 6:48 ! They were incredibly smooth ...very encouraging. I'll catch some more Yasso's on Saturday. BTW, while at my BIL's this past weekend, I had the chance to step on a scale. Unsure of its accuracy, but it read 177 lbs for my 6'3" frame. :sinewy:

pmbrown is on the 18th as well, and DolphinsPhan is coming in for Chicago on the 11th as well (right?) ...five marathons over the next three weeks here!
I didn't know until this morning what race pmbrown is doing, but I totally knew that DolphinsPhan is doing Chicago. :popcorn: Good luck, guys! And remember, it's never too early to start getting properly hydrated. And pay attention to what you're eating. It's very easy to pack on a few extra pounds with the reduced mileage during the taper!

Great stuff all around on here!!

BnB: sorry you missed your goals, but you are still cooking on the bike. Did you do anything different nutrition wise the two days prior; possibly over train (legs too tired); any bike changes (i.e., different tires or pressure, etc.)? I don't mind when I struggle in training or in a race IF I know why.

My Update:

I am officially frustrated with the weather. It was 74 with 90% humidity for this mornings attempt at running. I went out way too fast, and suffered coming in. I wanted to get 6 in, but my HR was flying, and I turned it into 5 instead. There is supposed to be a mini cold front coming through tonight (1 day of relief); with lows still in the 70's all weekend. I'm still praying that all of these ugly runs will turn awesome once the weather changes for good :fingerscrossed:

wraith5 said:
wraith5 said:
So on RW online I read about the Yasso 800s and decided to give it a go. Near the bottom of the article it says that he starts with 4 repeats and adds one more on each subsequent week until you get to 10. Last night I did 5 repeats and felt great! Hopefully in 5 weeks I can do all 10!
So funny - I was thinking about Yasso's this morning and was going to do a search for the article - thanx for anticipating my need!! I really wanted to remember the intervals between sets, which the article says to "jog for the same amount of time it took to run the 800."
I altered this just slightly. I wanted to keep it simple to get an accurate total distance...so I simply ran 400s as my recovery. I ran each 800 in 3:30 (7min pace) and my 400 recoveries in 2:15 (9:00min pace.)
Do you use a track? That seems like a solid alternative. I can do a handful of 400s at 7/mi but I'm not sure how many I could do running even 9's in between. Nice work.
During the summer I went to the high school track. But now that school is in session I'm not sure if they'll let me use it? So this time I used the treadmill.

gruecd said:
Keggers - Nice job on the Yasso's! I usally just do 400M recovery laps on mine, too. Lots easier with the cooler weather, isn't it?! Are you training for something? Didn't you say something about your GF wanting to do RNR AZ??
I'm following the "Smart Coach" from RWOL for a 1/2 marathon...and adding in some more speedwork. After my last 1/2 I didn't have any race to train for. Without a specific race to train for I found it easy to skip a day or two or three. I need to follow a plan even if there isn't an actual race...psychologically I'm holding myself accountable.Yes gruecd, the GF wants to do the RNR in Arizona. I would love to take her but I just don't think I can swing it ($$$). :thumbdown:

I'm following the "Smart Coach" from RWOL for a 1/2 marathon...and adding in some more speedwork. After my last 1/2 I didn't have any race to train for. Without a specific race to train for I found it easy to skip a day or two or three. I need to follow a plan even if there isn't an actual race...psychologically I'm holding myself accountable.

Yes gruecd, the GF wants to do the RNR in Arizona. I would love to take her but I just don't think I can swing it ($$$). :rant:
Are you gonna do the Noodleini 15K in DePere on November 29?? It's a flat, fast course, and it's very inexpensive (only $23). The last time I ran it (2007), the wind was brutal. But that kinda comes with the territory when you're racing in November. :bye: And besides, since I'm guessing you've never raced a 15K before, you're guaranteed to get a PR!! :thumbdown:

I'm following the "Smart Coach" from RWOL for a 1/2 marathon...and adding in some more speedwork. After my last 1/2 I didn't have any race to train for. Without a specific race to train for I found it easy to skip a day or two or three. I need to follow a plan even if there isn't an actual race...psychologically I'm holding myself accountable.

Yes gruecd, the GF wants to do the RNR in Arizona. I would love to take her but I just don't think I can swing it ($$$). :rant:
Are you gonna do the Noodleini 15K in DePere on November 29?? It's a flat, fast course, and it's very inexpensive (only $23). The last time I ran it (2007), the wind was brutal. But that kinda comes with the territory when you're racing in November. :shrug: And besides, since I'm guessing you've never raced a 15K before, you're guaranteed to get a PR!! :excited:
It's on my radar but I haven't registered. I love getting PRs (I guess we all do)!! :thumbup:

wraith5 said:
wraith5 said:
So on RW online I read about the Yasso 800s and decided to give it a go. Near the bottom of the article it says that he starts with 4 repeats and adds one more on each subsequent week until you get to 10. Last night I did 5 repeats and felt great! Hopefully in 5 weeks I can do all 10!
So funny - I was thinking about Yasso's this morning and was going to do a search for the article - thanx for anticipating my need!! I really wanted to remember the intervals between sets, which the article says to "jog for the same amount of time it took to run the 800."
I altered this just slightly. I wanted to keep it simple to get an accurate total distance...so I simply ran 400s as my recovery. I ran each 800 in 3:30 (7min pace) and my 400 recoveries in 2:15 (9:00min pace.)
Do you use a track? That seems like a solid alternative. I can do a handful of 400s at 7/mi but I'm not sure how many I could do running even 9's in between. Nice work.
During the summer I went to the high school track. But now that school is in session I'm not sure if they'll let me use it? So this time I used the treadmill.
Yeah I'm not sure how track use works during the school year - there's a high school 1/2 mile from my house, but I don't want to be some middle-aged guy trying to use their track while gym class is in session... there's also a track a couple miles from my house that is open to the public (a much safer option, me thinks!). I just saw that next week is 6x 800's for me, so instead of the 1:30 RI the program calls for I'm going to do 400s. As luck would have it my block is .75 miles around, so I won't actually need a track. Pretty excited to see how it goes!! My 800 time goal (according to my program) will be 3:36 (7:12 pace).

This morning I got on the treadmill for the first time in forever to try a decline run in prep for the elevation loss on the Tucson Marathon. I put a couple of books under the back feet and measured the angle (with my iLevel app) at -4.5 degrees. I did 3 easy miles and it felt fine - not really sure if it made a difference or not honestly. But doing a steeper angle doesn't seem like an especially good idea.

I also lifted on my Smith cage for the first time since last winter - I have a feeling I'm going to be pretty damn sore tomorrow!!

Not really. Just enjoying the easier schedule. Did five miles each of the past two days, then as part of my five miles today, I did three mile repeats with one minute rests - 7:03, 6:53, 6:48 ! They were incredibly smooth ...very encouraging. I'll catch some more Yasso's on Saturday. BTW, while at my BIL's this past weekend, I had the chance to step on a scale. Unsure of its accuracy, but it read 177 lbs for my 6'3" frame. :sinewy: :bad###:
Fixed & Dang.BNB &/or PSL, do you happen to have a site you can send me to that has a 45-minute bike trainer spin workout? I want to find something where I can get a good focused morning ride workout in that works on building strength. My brother-in-law is send a CD he won at a tri we did together, but I want something in print too.

2Young2BBald said:
Not really. Just enjoying the easier schedule. Did five miles each of the past two days, then as part of my five miles today, I did three mile repeats with one minute rests - 7:03, 6:53, 6:48 ! They were incredibly smooth ...very encouraging. I'll catch some more Yasso's on Saturday. BTW, while at my BIL's this past weekend, I had the chance to step on a scale. Unsure of its accuracy, but it read 177 lbs for my 6'3" frame. :sinewy: :bad###:
Fixed & Dang.
:goodposting: Try eating a sammich now & again. Sheesh.

Tri-man any idea what your body fat % is?

2Young2BBald said:
Fixed & Dang.BNB &/or PSL, do you happen to have a site you can send me to that has a 45-minute bike trainer spin workout? I want to find something where I can get a good focused morning ride workout in that works on building strength. My brother-in-law is send a CD he won at a tri we did together, but I want something in print too.
I'm not worthy of note, but I'll break in anyway. I am going to do this 14 week plan. It should beef me up for next season.All intervals, all the time.

2Young2BBald said:
I'm not worthy of note, but I'll break in anyway. I am going to do this 14 week plan. It should beef me up for next season.All intervals, all the time.
I was going to reply asking if you had one in English, until I cam across the "decoder ring" at the bottom. Are you planning on using an HRM or just the foundation of the plan? Also, is the plan to beef up strength for speed or endurance as well (I guess they go hand in hand, but not always). I want to build speed for the Sprints, but also work on long ride endurance to see if doing a 1/2 IM is even doable. Doing the Olympic gave me the confidence I need to know I can do the swim portion with plenty left in the tank and think I could gauge my body for the 1/2 marathon portion, but the ride is what I need to work to get better at. :lmao: for the info.

Below is a paste from a RunMail I get each week. I found this one interesting as, as runners, we've typically hear folks says that we are destroying our knees, the article says otherwise (BTW, I am a big fan of the red wine thing too):

Like most of us, I'm a sucker for information that supports the things I do in life. For example, after reading some article on a study that extols the benefits of drinking red wine, I'm quick to repeat this information like it's the gospel. When it comes to positive info on running, I'm like a fuller brush Christian, knocking on doors and spreading the word! This week I heard a news blurb about a study showing that joints get creaky in old age because the synovial fluid dries up over time, and that by being a runner, you lessen this loss, the body compensates by increasing the fluid. It stated that on average, a 50 year old runner has the fluid levels of a sedentary 38 year old. Don't ya just love this stuff? It gets me out the door!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/phys-ed-can-running-actually-help-your-knees/?apage=4

2Young2BBald said:
I was going to reply asking if you had one in English, until I cam across the "decoder ring" at the bottom. Are you planning on using an HRM or just the foundation of the plan? Also, is the plan to beef up strength for speed or endurance as well (I guess they go hand in hand, but not always). I want to build speed for the Sprints, but also work on long ride endurance to see if doing a 1/2 IM is even doable. Doing the Olympic gave me the confidence I need to know I can do the swim portion with plenty left in the tank and think I could gauge my body for the 1/2 marathon portion, but the ride is what I need to work to get better at. :thumbup: for the info.
I have a HRM (no powertap, so not working off of power) and will do it that way. I transferred most of it to an excel file. If you PM me with your email I'd be happy to email it to you.The guy who generated it is evidently a pretty decent tri coach. It looks like a decent progression of work. I'll probably add in some standing/sitting intervals in there as I need to work on that. Otherwise I'll just kill myself with that thing and reap the rewards (hopefully).

5 mile tempo run this morning, goal pace of 8:15s. About 50 degrees and windy.

2.5 - 8:13s, 171 bpm

2.5 - 8:07s, 185 bpm :bag:

The last 1.5 miles I was laboring (obviously). Part of that was because I was running into the wind until I turned for the last .5 miles, which was noticably easier and faster. I knew this was going to be a tough run so I feel very good about doing negative splits.

Right now my body is paying for the effort - I heated my achilles after I got showered because it was really barking at me. Plus my body feels like I really pushed it hard. Hopefully I'll be feeling better by Sunday morning - my 2nd 20 miler is on the schedule!

sounds as if some of you are lean machines out there on the road. Myself, I try to get as lean as I can, but I love to eat too much. I have recently cut back on my sweets so hopefully that gets me going again. I have never been a really lean person, but I would love to get there someday.

did a 6 miler last night and am loving the cooler weather we are having here. Shorts and a long sleeve shirt. My favorite time of the year to run. Automatic air conditioning through out the run.

Hope to do a 4 miler here in the next hour or so. Hopefully that will just about rap up my day here at work and I can start the weekend a little early.

Saturday is a planned 4 miler at Marathon pace and Sunday is a 12 miler.

It would appear the box that contianed your Garmin finally thawed out, huh?
Nah, still missing in action. I probably left it at the hotel for the Fall50 last October, so it's obviously gruecd's fault. :P
It's probably still in the back of the van. Dig through a couple more layers of stuff and you might find it (unless it got totally deep-sixed when the Mrs. rolled that sucker.) :goodposting: Good to hear you're back into some running!
Not likely, cuz it's probably wherever my running shorts are too. I can imagine them both sitting on the little table or chair in the hotel room. I have everything else, so it's just odd that they would have been loose in the van for two months. Besides, I went through the van after the accident, and managed to collect everything but an Ipod. Heck, my wife went back to the scene a couple months later and found a can of Ravioli and some sodas that had been in there. lol I think the van has been ground down into fertilizer by now, so there's no checking again."Some" is the operative word. That horse threw a shoe, so I haven't run since that one time last week. I'm just not motivated. I don't have a race on the horizon. Perhaps come January, I can once and for all sign up for the Goofy Challenge and then be setup for training in 2010. lol

Already Jonesing for triathlons, I recalled seeing Ads for Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlons . Turns out there are two more in my area before the end of the year. I did some digging over on BeginnerTriathlete and got some feedback that they are fun, well run events. If my calendar permits, I'll be doing one on 12/6. Anyone here done one or know of someone who has?

sounds as if some of you are lean machines out there on the road. Myself, I try to get as lean as I can, but I love to eat too much. I have recently cut back on my sweets so hopefully that gets me going again. I have never been a really lean person, but I would love to get there someday.did a 6 miler last night and am loving the cooler weather we are having here. Shorts and a long sleeve shirt. My favorite time of the year to run. Automatic air conditioning through out the run.Hope to do a 4 miler here in the next hour or so. Hopefully that will just about rap up my day here at work and I can start the weekend a little early.Saturday is a planned 4 miler at Marathon pace and Sunday is a 12 miler.
I'm on the other end of the FBG 10K thread bell curve, still around 190 at 5'11". Food and booze are too enjoyable to cut back too much, which will likely keep me from ever being a lean machine. I would like to slowly work off another 10 lbs or so, though.Another 6 flat miles today, achilles is a little more sore than it was at the beginning of the week but not bad at all.

sounds as if some of you are lean machines out there on the road. Myself, I try to get as lean as I can, but I love to eat too much. I have recently cut back on my sweets so hopefully that gets me going again. I have never been a really lean person, but I would love to get there someday.did a 6 miler last night and am loving the cooler weather we are having here. Shorts and a long sleeve shirt. My favorite time of the year to run. Automatic air conditioning through out the run.Hope to do a 4 miler here in the next hour or so. Hopefully that will just about rap up my day here at work and I can start the weekend a little early.Saturday is a planned 4 miler at Marathon pace and Sunday is a 12 miler.
I'm on the other end of the FBG 10K thread bell curve, still around 190 at 5'11". Food and booze are too enjoyable to cut back too much, which will likely keep me from ever being a lean machine. I would like to slowly work off another 10 lbs or so, though.Another 6 flat miles today, achilles is a little more sore than it was at the beginning of the week but not bad at all.
Going to a 5 smaller meal a day plan got me under 162 which was impossible to pass no matter how hard I trained. Now I carry around 155 and still over do the booze and food on the weekends. Even with my recently found bacon addiction, I've only blipped up to about 157. I think it was Runner's World that had a whole month's edition dedicated to nutrition that hit on the 5 meal idea (Its been covered in Triathete too).Any thought to seeing if your Doc can get you a visit to a PT to determine if a series of ultrasound treatments (or something else) would help the achilles?

Took a drive down Summit Ave today. That is the last 5 miles of the marathon. I went to the expo today and walked around for a while. Picked up some swag, shook Hal Higdon's hand, and grabbed my registration packet. I am all set. The expo was fun and I may stop back with the Mrs. tomorrow since we will be right across the street in the morning. It has been cold and windy here the last 2 days, but the rain is going to stop tomorrow and be partly cloudy on Sunday.

I know that there is a rule about never doing something for the first time on the day of the marathon, but I have not been running in 55 degree and breezy weather for a long run. My friend is talking about wearing long sleeves, and I do not even like running with short sleeves. Not sure what to do yet. I may start with a short sleeve shirt on and toss it to my wife at mile 7 or 11 (2 of the spots she will be stopping to cheer).

Took a drive down Summit Ave today. That is the last 5 miles of the marathon. I went to the expo today and walked around for a while. Picked up some swag, shook Hal Higdon's hand, and grabbed my registration packet. I am all set. The expo was fun and I may stop back with the Mrs. tomorrow since we will be right across the street in the morning. It has been cold and windy here the last 2 days, but the rain is going to stop tomorrow and be partly cloudy on Sunday. I know that there is a rule about never doing something for the first time on the day of the marathon, but I have not been running in 55 degree and breezy weather for a long run. My friend is talking about wearing long sleeves, and I do not even like running with short sleeves. Not sure what to do yet. I may start with a short sleeve shirt on and toss it to my wife at mile 7 or 11 (2 of the spots she will be stopping to cheer).
Cut the sleeves off of an old long sleeve t-shirt. Wear them at the start and pitch them when you get warm. I wouldn't goof with trying to pull off a t-shirt mid run.

Finally hamstring injury free!

Went on a run today on the hilliest part of my neighborhood. 400 feet of climbing over 4.4 miles - several slopes over 15%. I managed to run the course in 8:02/mile and had enough left to hoof it in with a 7:30 last mile. Very happy with this effort.

SFBayDuck said:
Sounds a lot like me - or rather a lot like me a year ago when I was 182 (6'0"). Since then, a nagging ankle problem combined with my innate laziness has seen my weight go all the way over 210. Now running again, I'm back down to 205. Hopefully, I can approach 190 by the end of the year. Ideally, I would eventually like to get down to 175 which if my memory serves is about the weight I was when I was running in the early 1990's.My body fat is 'way too much'%! (actually about 18% if my scale is to be believed).

Took a drive down Summit Ave today. That is the last 5 miles of the marathon. I went to the expo today and walked around for a while. Picked up some swag, shook Hal Higdon's hand, and grabbed my registration packet. I am all set. The expo was fun and I may stop back with the Mrs. tomorrow since we will be right across the street in the morning. It has been cold and windy here the last 2 days, but the rain is going to stop tomorrow and be partly cloudy on Sunday. I know that there is a rule about never doing something for the first time on the day of the marathon, but I have not been running in 55 degree and breezy weather for a long run. My friend is talking about wearing long sleeves, and I do not even like running with short sleeves. Not sure what to do yet. I may start with a short sleeve shirt on and toss it to my wife at mile 7 or 11 (2 of the spots she will be stopping to cheer).
Cut the sleeves off of an old long sleeve t-shirt. Wear them at the start and pitch them when you get warm. I wouldn't goof with trying to pull off a t-shirt mid run.
Or cut the toes out of an old pair of tube socks and use those. Either way. Go get 'em tomorrow!!!!!!! I'll be anxiously waiting the race report!Heading out in a little while for an easy 12. My last double-digit run before the big day!!!

A month and a half ago I was struggling to get in 2 miles without walking. This morning I got in 7 at a nice slow pace, but I did have negative splits. It was so nice and cool this morning, 60's during the run, but the humidity was pushing 90%.

To all of you guys running out there, keep at it and don't get lazy. It is a real pain in the ### to get it back once you stop. Now that I am back to it my plan is to do a 10 mile run on Thanksgiving, a hal in January, then some 5k's if there are any. Next summer I want to stay between 15 and 20 miles a week then hit the 5k's and the Daytona Half in Sept/Oct.

7 miler

12 miles done in 1:33:23 (7:47 pace). Getting up early tomorrow morning to go cheer for my friends running the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee.

meeka - Kick some ### tomorrow!!! Weather looks perfect with cloudy skies and temps in the 40's!

Oh, yeah..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRI-MAN!!!

Got out for a 4.4 mile run in 43:41 this morning. It was very pleasant this morning....about 67 degrees. Much better than trying to run in mid 80 degree weather.

Hopefully, it will be much the same for tomorrow morning....6.6 miles is planned :rolleyes:

12 miles done in 1:33:23 (7:47 pace). Getting up early tomorrow morning to go cheer for my friends running the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee.

meeka - Kick some ### tomorrow!!! Weather looks perfect with cloudy skies and temps in the 40's!

Oh, yeah..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRI-MAN!!!
Agreed & agreed. Go get'em meeka, be sure to high five the little meekas along the way! And tri-man, happy birthday!!!Also very good to see darrin putting down some miles!!!!

Hey Sand, could you analyze something for me please? I am going to do the indoor tri I mentioned a few posts back. I did some searching and everyone is saying flip turns are the way to go. Being an OWS, tri guy I have never attempted a flip trun and really don't care to if I can avoid it. So, in a 10-minute swim I would think I can do 20+ lengths of a 25 meter pool, even with wall grab turn (which, looking at past results should put me in the top 1/3rd of all finishers). Anyhthing past a 1/2 length gets couted as such. Could flip turning over 10-minutes really get me more than a 1/2 length? I'll have about 10 nights in the pool to practice and there is an old school (dude's like 83) swim coach I could tap for help. Right now, I don't think the risk/reward is worth it if I end up sucking at the turn. Whadda think.

Hey Sand, could you analyze something for me please? I am going to do the indoor tri I mentioned a few posts back. I did some searching and everyone is saying flip turns are the way to go. Being an OWS, tri guy I have never attempted a flip trun and really don't care to if I can avoid it. So, in a 10-minute swim I would think I can do 20+ lengths of a 25 meter pool, even with wall grab turn (which, looking at past results should put me in the top 1/3rd of all finishers). Anyhthing past a 1/2 length gets couted as such. Could flip turning over 10-minutes really get me more than a 1/2 length? I'll have about 10 nights in the pool to practice and there is an old school (dude's like 83) swim coach I could tap for help. Right now, I don't think the risk/reward is worth it if I end up sucking at the turn. Whadda think.
No way, man. It isn't just the flip turn, it is getting used to that particular motion and the large amount of energy it takes. Not to mention you are under water for longer and have to worry about being out of breath by the time you come back up. In practice I don't even do flip turns - too much energy for something I won't ever do in open water. I didn't do any in the pool tri I did either (didn't stop me from kicking the other 40 guys in my AG's ### :goodposting: ) I was on the fence about doing them in the pool tri, but the crowded walls made my decision for me (in a time race like you are doing I'd probably do them). I don't think this is something that you can learn sufficiently in 10 days that will give you an advantage. If you want to get faster on the turns work on regular open turns. Hit the wall hard and do a typical

. A lot of the advantage of the flip turn is streamlining under the turbulence you created coming in - if you are aggressive enough with the push in an open turn you can get pretty good at getting through the turbulence. Really work on popping off that wall - I guarantee there is cheap speed to be had here. This will be faster than a flip turn for you. I fear you will be gasping for air after a few flip turns just because you aren't used to doing them at race pace. As a biker I know you are familiar with the feeling of blowing up 2/3 of the way through a course - the added demands of flip turns can do this.So, will you get good enough at flip turns to gain a 1/2 length in a 10 minute swim over regular open turns? No. Can you put work in on your regular open turns to make them snappy and more explosive and gain time there realistically? Hell yea.

Edited to add: This isn't to say you shouldn't learn flip turns at some point. They're fast, smooth, and chicks dig them.

Have a good race meeka.

This morning I did 4.08 in 45:03. I know it is slow but I am still too fat. I was encouraged as I did the last mile in just over 10 minutes and at the very end my garmin said I was doing 7:45 min/mile.

This morning I started breaking in a new pair of Wave Creation 10. I have tried several different brands of shoes and Mizuno's Wave Creation series seems to fit me best.

I think that when I do finally get down to my old 188-190 pounds I may be faster than I was last time. The reason is that I started running this time at a greater weight than I did last time, plus I was not doing the crunches and dumbbell work this soon last time. Of course I will also be about two years older so my thinking may be all wrong.

Good luck to everyone else today.

Users who are viewing this thread