What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

Our weather keeps getting colder everytime I look. And for a longer period of time. I know you guys are used to it, but f all that noise.

That said, I was out yesterday at 10 degrees (felt like 3), and was pretty comfortable with 2 layers on along with a gaiter and hat (didn't do the balaclava yesterday). Hand warmers in the gloves are great. Luckily not much wind so it felt just fine running easy.
This actually isn't usual for my side of the lake. My winter issues are much more snow driven than bitter cold. Typically when we get a cold blast it's a quick hitter - a day or 2 plunge followed by a day or 2 hibernating then another day or 2 crawling out. The way this thing is shaping up it's 2 straight weeks with highs falling of short of our average lows. The rare times I get windows with sun and/or without wind I gotta jump on them.

If it makes them feel better, the Offos sandals have been in a milk crate in the closet the last few months.
Did you try them and not like them?  I'm curious because I was intrigued by all of the oohing and aahing, but ultimately didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't sure what they actual did.

Did you try them and not like them?  I'm curious because I was intrigued by all of the oohing and aahing, but ultimately didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't sure what they actual did.
I know @JShare87got a pair and loves them as much as me.

In all honesty, it's one of the best things I've ever purchased. For 40+ years, I've never worn shoes or slippers at home. Now, I wear these constantly (not just after runs).

Since I've been using them, I have ZERO Achilles or calf pain/discomfort/aches. It actually doesn't feel good to walk around without them. 

This actually isn't usual for my side of the lake. My winter issues are much more snow driven than bitter cold. Typically when we get a cold blast it's a quick hitter - a day or 2 plunge followed by a day or 2 hibernating then another day or 2 crawling out. The way this thing is shaping up it's 2 straight weeks with highs falling of short of our average lows. The rare times I get windows with sun and/or without wind I gotta jump on them.
I don't follow the weather as closely as you, but whatever pattern is set up right now can [censored].  We got about 4" of snow yesterday, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday.  Couple that with the cold temperatures and sunny skies, and it's going to be a nightmare trying to dodge ice spots all week.  Going out over lunch in a few minutes and am pretty unmotivated right now.

I've had a minor injury to one of my feet over the last several months. It's fine after it's loose but tightens after periods of inactivity. The arch support kind of pushes into the pain.  I also don't really like wearing sandals as I sometimes like to walk fast and make sharp cuts into the kitchen, bound up the stairs, etc.  It's more "me" than the sandals.  I'm just teasing Mr. Marco.

I don't follow the weather as closely as you, but whatever pattern is set up right now can [censored].  We got about 4" of snow yesterday, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday.  Couple that with the cold temperatures and sunny skies, and it's going to be a nightmare trying to dodge ice spots all week.  Going out over lunch in a few minutes and am pretty unmotivated right now.
It's HTFU season!!!

Pretty much the same deal here, I was going to head out at lunch for my 4x1.5 @HMP-10 but I drove my planned route ahead of time and it was a little too icy. Going to try to get out later this afternoon, if this workout is going to happen it needs to be today, Wednesday will have to be tempo day due to the storm Thursday.

I've had a minor injury to one of my feet over the last several months. It's fine after it's loose but tightens after periods of inactivity. The arch support kind of pushes into the pain.  I also don't really like wearing sandals as I sometimes like to walk fast and make sharp cuts into the kitchen, bound up the stairs, etc.  It's more "me" than the sandals.  I'm just teasing Mr. Marco.
Along those lines, it actually took a couple days to get used to because the arch support felt uncomfortable. It does push into your feet and I had kind of a sore area as well. That ended up resolving and actually getting much better.

That said, that comment cut me deep. It hurt... real bad.

Stop it, I can only get so hard

For all you new Peloton owners, if you need cheap cycling shorts, these are the ####. Got a pair for Christmas and ordered 3 more pair after my first ride.

https://www.amazon.com/Sportneer-Cycling-Anti-Slip-Breathable-Absorbent/dp/B01N21AMHO/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&hvadid=78134099567419&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=sportneer+bike+shorts&qid=1609644886&sr=8-3&tag=mh0b-20
Took me a while to go back and find this post but thank you @beer 30. I bought a pair of these and they are perfect for what I was looking for.  I'm sure there are plenty of better bike shorts out there, but at this price point, its ideal.  Highly recommend to any Peloton riders who don't have biking shorts.

Took me a while to go back and find this post but thank you @beer 30. I bought a pair of these and they are perfect for what I was looking for.  I'm sure there are plenty of better bike shorts out there, but at this price point, its ideal.  Highly recommend to any Peloton riders who don't have biking shorts.
Better yes but nothing close at this price point. The upper level shorts are $70+. Going to order a few more pair of these.

If any of you fat asses need some good Bontrager XL bike shorts, I have about 6 pair collecting dust right now because the slimmer, trimmer me doesn't need them any longer.

It's HTFU season!!!
I hear and appreciate what you're saying, and I did of course go out and as typical it was better once I got out the door.  Just needed to get things off my chest, as this type of stretch is like the nut low for me - I hate having to watch my footing constantly.  Running on fresh snow is fine because you know exactly how (not) much traction you'll be getting, but when you start running into frozen things of unknown history there are so many unknowns.  Is there ice or concrete under that thin layer of snow?  If I land on that 3" pile, will my foot sink in or is it frozen solid?  Does that frozen footprint have enough roughness to use as a landing spot or do I need to leap it?  I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I find it mentally exhausting...

Pretty much the same deal here, I was going to head out at lunch for my 4x1.5 @HMP-10 but I drove my planned route ahead of time and it was a little too icy. Going to try to get out later this afternoon, if this workout is going to happen it needs to be today, Wednesday will have to be tempo day due to the storm Thursday.
...let alone trying to do workouts in it.  I'm lucky that I don't really have anything of substance planned this week, so at least I can carefully pick my way around at "easy" pace rather than trying to find an area where I can sustain a harder effort.

Interestingly, I ran across this page : #6, baby.  Suck it, Rochester!  With this week's projected activity we may even climb into the top 3.  Probably won't catch Erie, though.

Well stated, @Dr_Zaius...the mental exhaustion of all the footfall speculation.  I really didn't mind single digit temps yesterday and today (maybe even bundled up too much), but now another 1-3" is coming down.  

I hear and appreciate what you're saying, and I did of course go out and as typical it was better once I got out the door.  Just needed to get things off my chest
####, that message wasn't for you; it was for me!  :lol:  I needed to self pep talk before I did my own. Glad I did too. Best interval workout since spring and I'm doing kettlebwlls right now with no ankle pain. 

I think I run substantially different than most, but assertive foot striking is how I over come most slick terrain. This is location specific though. Cause I still run into at least a couple impassable sections per workout...and it's all still mentally draining. It contributed to what I wrote in mid January - this is the worst 6 weeks of the winter, but we are at least halfway through the worst of it!

I hear and appreciate what you're saying, and I did of course go out and as typical it was better once I got out the door.  Just needed to get things off my chest, as this type of stretch is like the nut low for me - I hate having to watch my footing constantly.  Running on fresh snow is fine because you know exactly how (not) much traction you'll be getting, but when you start running into frozen things of unknown history there are so many unknowns.  Is there ice or concrete under that thin layer of snow?  If I land on that 3" pile, will my foot sink in or is it frozen solid?  Does that frozen footprint have enough roughness to use as a landing spot or do I need to leap it?  I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I find it mentally exhausting...

...let alone trying to do workouts in it.  I'm lucky that I don't really have anything of substance planned this week, so at least I can carefully pick my way around at "easy" pace rather than trying to find an area where I can sustain a harder effort.

Interestingly, I ran across this page : #6, baby.  Suck it, Rochester!  With this week's projected activity we may even climb into the top 3.  Probably won't catch Erie, though.
 Buffalo at #2? Feels like we’ve barely had snow this year.

My burb would be #1. We were walloped by those first 2 storms - 22 and 21 inches respectively, both highest totals in the county. Haven't checked in a month, but we have net far more than 13 since Christmas.

This is my hesitation on trail running. I sometimes want to go run and let my mind wander but with trail running, I always need to keep my mind figuring out where my next step is landing.  
This is why I'll never be a strictly trail runner...cause I completely agree. It's nice to roll out at least a couple-few times per week for a 45-60 minute 135 HR mindless stroll and decompress whatever that day demands.

I think NYC is pretty much spared.  My house though is expected to get 4-8" of snow. 
Yeah. I hadn't looked at the weather since going to bed...cool, but dry out there. The path down from the overpass to the East River Park was one long bobsled ride...fortunately there's a handrail. But the park roads was mostly clear.

Another run this morning confirming that it's all about how you dress in the cold.

I don't have any of my cold-weather gear here in DFW, but it was 34F this morning, with a slight mist/rain in the air, and winds out of the north at 15mph or so.  Quarter-zip, shorts, ball cap, and light gloves.  Froze my ### off.  Felt colder today than I did up north in temps 30+ degrees colder than this.  

Need to get some mittens for DFW, that's the top priority for sure.  And then a better quarter-zip.  The one I have up north is for cross-country skiing, so it has a wind-resistant panel in the front, and but fabric everywhere else.  It's really great for running into the wind.

Thankfully no snow, but according to the forecast, it's coming next week.  Hopefully not an ice storm (which DFW is known to get from time to time).  That would probably keep me from getting out.

Another run this morning confirming that it's all about how you dress in the cold.

I don't have any of my cold-weather gear here in DFW, but it was 34F this morning, with a slight mist/rain in the air, and winds out of the north at 15mph or so.  Quarter-zip, shorts, ball cap, and light gloves.  Froze my ### off.  Felt colder today than I did up north in temps 30+ degrees colder than this.  

Need to get some mittens for DFW, that's the top priority for sure.  And then a better quarter-zip.  The one I have up north is for cross-country skiing, so it has a wind-resistant panel in the front, and but fabric everywhere else.  It's really great for running into the wind.

Thankfully no snow, but according to the forecast, it's coming next week.  Hopefully not an ice storm (which DFW is known to get from time to time).  That would probably keep me from getting out.
Yeah...the damp makes thing feel so much colder.

I've pulled out a pair of biking shell pants for my sub-30 deg runs. Definitely constructed for biking, but have done me well in colder weather and more form fitting than my sweats, so I can show off my butt fabric.

Didn't feel like getting more gear/tights when I've already got these and have the rest pretty much covered. Do think I could use some mittens though. And another pair of warmer socks. My Craft socks are fried.

Yeah...the damp makes thing feel so much colder.

I've pulled out a pair of biking shell pants for my sub-30 deg runs. Definitely constructed for biking, but have done me well in colder weather and more form fitting than my sweats, so I can show off my butt fabric.

Didn't feel like getting more gear/tights when I've already got these and have the rest pretty much covered. Do think I could use some mittens though. And another pair of warmer socks. My Craft socks are fried.
I have an extra pair of soft shell pants up north that I never thought I would need down here in DFW.  Going to grab those this weekend, along with mitts.

Already have an old/spare pair of trail shoes (Speedcross 4) down here that I can use in the snow, too.

Ice storm and all bets are off.

Curious what you guys would do with this situation......

First, as most of you know and can see on Strava, there's a main route that we run most of the time.  We have somewhat limited options in terms of where to run from where we live.  That route has a sidewalk/path off that road that is decent sized.  For most of it, it's about 8' in width. 

Lately, we've been encountering a lady with a large German Shepard not infrequently.  Now, we've owned dogs for 20 years.  I've never been bitten by a dog.  Even dogs that don't necessarily like other people have been good with me and I don't get scared or worried with dogs I don't know at all.  Plenty of times I've been out running with dogs that are loose in their yards that will bark or run towards us and I don't pay them much attention, never felt unsafe.

Well, this dog is worrisome.  We passed her yesterday again and when she sees us coming, she starts wrapping the leash around her arm several times and bracing herself, moving off the sidewalk/path.  However, she can only go so far and it's still only a few feet away from where we are or else she's in the road.  And she's pretty petite and struggles to keep him under control.  The dog is barking fiercely, growling, showing teeth.  It's the only time I've felt "scared" around another dog.  And this has now happened a few times over the last few weeks.  My wife has run by them by herself and he's not as aggressive when it's just her, although still definitely not friendly. 

I'm worried one day something might happen.  Not even just to me but this path has a decent amount of walkers, runners, families.  IMO, she really needs to have a muzzle on that dog while she has him out in public if that's how he is around other people.

Anything you guys would do?  Say anything to her?  Keep running by?  Turn around and avoid if you see them (which sucks because then it makes it harder to finish our planned run)?  Something else? 

Kind of like @MAC_32 preplanning in his mind what he would do if a car was ever going to hit him, I'm starting to do the same with this situation and it's uncomfortable to consider. 

Buffalo at #2? Feels like we’ve barely had snow this year.
100K+ population definitely limits the field a bit.  I think Houghton, MI averages 300"+ a year  :lmao:   Also, to mac's point, I imagine these things are reported via one location (typically the airport) that may or may not be representative of the entire metro area.  A couple of miles in relation to any sort of body of water can make a huge difference.

First, as most of you know and can see on Strava, there's a main route that we run most of the time.  We have somewhat limited options in terms of where to run from where we live.  That route has a sidewalk/path off that road that is decent sized.  For most of it, it's about 8' in width. 

Lately, we've been encountering a lady with a large German Shepard not infrequently.  Now, we've owned dogs for 20 years.  I've never been bitten by a dog.  Even dogs that don't necessarily like other people have been good with me and I don't get scared or worried with dogs I don't know at all.  Plenty of times I've been out running with dogs that are loose in their yards that will bark or run towards us and I don't pay them much attention, never felt unsafe.

Well, this dog is worrisome.  We passed her yesterday again and when she sees us coming, she starts wrapping the leash around her arm several times and bracing herself, moving off the sidewalk/path.  However, she can only go so far and it's still only a few feet away from where we are or else she's in the road.  And she's pretty petite and struggles to keep him under control.  The dog is barking fiercely, growling, showing teeth.  It's the only time I've felt "scared" around another dog.  And this has now happened a few times over the last few weeks.  My wife has run by them by herself and he's not as aggressive when it's just her, although still definitely not friendly. 

I'm worried one day something might happen.  Not even just to me but this path has a decent amount of walkers, runners, families.  IMO, she really needs to have a muzzle on that dog while she has him out in public if that's how he is around other people.

Anything you guys would do?  Say anything to her?  Keep running by?  Turn around and avoid if you see them (which sucks because then it makes it harder to finish our planned run)?  Something else? 

Kind of like @MAC_32 preplanning in his mind what he would do if a car was ever going to hit him, I'm starting to do the same with this situation and it's uncomfortable to consider. 
I would give a long, disapproving stare. Similar to what I give people who snowblow into the street.

gianmarco said:

If you stop and talk to that lady the dog more than likely is up in your grill. He sees you as a threat to her for whatever reason.

I would take a wide path.

My plan if a dog ever comes to attack me is simple. I'm gonna kick it as hard as I can in the face and head. Sorry if that seems harsh, but that's the way its gonna be. 

If you stop and talk to that lady the dog more than likely is up in your grill. He sees you as a threat to her for whatever reason.

My plan if a dog ever comes to attack me is simple. I'm gonna kick it as hard as I can in the face and head. Sorry if that seems harsh, but that's the way its gonna be. 
I agree.  Once the snow is gone, I’d go off path and avoid the dog as much as you can.  Don’t make eye contact with the dog either because that supposedly enrages some dogs.  

Good luck.   If the dog ever comes at you, then your workout turns into an interval and kick boxing workout. 

Fortunately the unleashed dogs that have approached me seem to be of the friendly variety. I think they just get excited and want to run with the fast skinny human. But, yeah, I’ve often thought about the kick to the head if necessary.

I agree.  Once the snow is gone, I’d go off path and avoid the dog as much as you can.  Don’t make eye contact with the dog either because that supposedly enrages some dogs.  

Good luck.   If the dog ever comes at you, then your workout turns into an interval and kick boxing workout. 
Thanks. Yeah, unfortunately, there's not really anywhere to go off path. While the walk itself is wide, that's about the only place to go.

I've been playing out those kick boxing scenarios. We will see if I have a story to relate some day.

Amazing how many people think this is acceptable.
It's enraging.  After our big storm last week the neighbor cleared their mailbox area by blowing it all into the middle of the street.  People were actually getting stuck there was so much snow there, whereas after the plow went through it had been pretty much down to payment.  These are the same people who before they had a snow blower would sit in their house and then when they saw the neighbor getting close would all of the sudden grab their shovels and start working, then graciously accept his help, relieving them from their arduous 2 minutes of trying to clear their own sidewalk.

I personally like piling the snow high near the ends of my driveway when shoveling.  Makes me feel like I live in a fortress.   :bowtie:

gianmarco said:

I'd absolutely take a (very) wide berth, and if the odds are good that you're going to encounter this dog, I'd honestly carry mace or pepper spray or something.  If Mrs. G is going out by herself, then I'd insist that she carry it.  I know people who live in rural areas where unchained farm dogs are common who actually carry small sub-compact pistols when they run for this exact reason.

Thanks. Yeah, unfortunately, there's not really anywhere to go off path. While the walk itself is wide, that's about the only place to go.

I've been playing out those kick boxing scenarios. We will see if I have a story to relate some day.
For example, here is where we ran into them yesterday.  She stepped into the patch of grass next to the sidewalk as we went by.  The road is busy enough where running on it isn't really a good option.

This dog thing reminds me of a story.

A few years ago I was up in Minnesota for my annual fishing and family vacation. I go out for a run, and it's pretty quiet up there - very solitary.

I'm running back and am about a mile away from the cabin when I see a large animal in the middle of the road in front of me. It was probably 500 yards away or so. I stop my watch, and stand there a second to assess the situation. 

I'm thinking - this thing looks like a wolf or large dog. I'm alone, no traffic on this road - nothing. I scan the woods next to me for a large stick just in case, and pick out a suitable weapon. As I start to jog again, a car comes up behind me. I can hear it but not really paying attention.

They pass, and it's my brother and his wife coming back from the store. As they pass, I stand in the middle of the road - waving my arms to try and grab their attention so they can stop and pick me up.

They both give me a stupid grin, wave and keep moving. (obviously they hadn't seen the dog/wolf/sasquatch yet).  I stand there, watching their car slowly getting smaller in the distance, thinking: "I'm gonna die and my stupid brother just waved at me and smiled."

#####. 

I'd absolutely take a (very) wide berth, and if the odds are good that you're going to encounter this dog, I'd honestly carry mace or pepper spray or something.  If Mrs. G is going out by herself, then I'd insist that she carry it.  I know people who live in rural areas where unchained farm dogs are common who actually carry small sub-compact pistols when they run for this exact reason.
Came here to post this same thing.  I have a little cannister of pepper spray, and would take a wide berth.  Thankfully the dog owners in my area are amazing.  Many will even cross the street when they see me coming.  And not because of my hulking physique.

Funny that people would carry pistols for protection against dogs.  Safety issues aside (much harder to accidentally kill someone with pepper spray), it feels like pepper spray is much easier to deploy effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread