What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

Probably the toughest run of my entire plan tomorrow. 18 with 14 at MP. For the MP runs, I've been locking in a little below 7:00 min pace. However, I'm not sure that pace is realistic to hold for 26.2 miles. I'm thinking somewhere around 7:15 would probably be a better goal. Should I run tomorrow like I've been doing my other MP runs and try to go sub 7 for 14 miles? Or should I try and simulate the marathon and kind of cruise at the 7:15 mark for 14 miles? 
I actually don't see MP runs since back on 1/9 when the 12 miles at MP (6:58) were quite taxing (higher than sustainable HR in the low 170s).  You did some harder tempo on 1/19 (~6:40), and that pushed a still-high but better HR (157).  You've had a number of moderate pace runs (7:40-7:50) those get the HR into the 140s.  I feel like you should retest that slightly sub-7:00 pacing to see where you're at.  Will the HR hold in the 150s, given all the speed work you've done?  Or is the endurance not quite there to sustain that pace yet?  I think you'll benefit more from the slightly faster pacing.

Paid the price today for my earlier weather wisecrack. 

-21C/-6F, and even colder with the wind chill. 

Most walks were cleared from the couple inches we got yesterday, but still a dusting overnight remained. So I ran in my trail shoes for a bit more grip. Worked well. 

Touque, neck gaiter, wool base layer, quarter zip, soft shell pants, and snow mittens. 

Did the pickle run with the boys today. Low 30s, low wind...nice. still some icy and slushy spots, but mostly melted off after a day in the 40s yesterday.

Had set my alarm to do another 7-10 before the pickle 7+, but must have slept through it...can't remember the last time I've done that. Been a strange week for lacking motivation with everything.

We now we have another winter storm advisory for tomorrow with upwards of 7-10"...going to have to do my long run as early as possible and hope I miss it.

After this week where I just didn't get out there after the previous snow until yesterday, I still want to hit at least 30m...which means I need to do at least 16 tomorrow. 

Did the pickle run with the boys today. Low 30s, low wind...nice. still some icy and slushy spots, but mostly melted off after a day in the 40s yesterday.

Had set my alarm to do another 7-10 before the pickle 7+, but must have slept through it...can't remember the last time I've done that. Been a strange week for lacking motivation with everything.

We now we have another winter storm advisory for tomorrow with upwards of 7-10"...going to have to do my long run as early as possible and hope I miss it.

After this week where I just didn't get out there after the previous snow until yesterday, I still want to hit at least 30m...which means I need to do at least 16 tomorrow. 
Ouch.  16 with the snow barreling down on you?

Forecast has been downgraded for me to 2”-6”. (TWSS).

I don’t know your family obligations, but if i were you, I’d try to get out and run 5 this afternoon.   It leaves a much more manageable 11 for tomorrow to get to your 30 mile goal.  

I don’t know your family obligations, but if i were you, I’d try to get out and run 5 this afternoon.   It leaves a much more manageable 11 for tomorrow to get to your 30 mile goal.  
Solid idea. I wish I had time to have tacked on another 8 this morning afterwards since I slept through the alarm. Floppinho has a school of rock concert this afternoon- along with a list of things floppinha wants to do with me....rest of today is shot/excellent.

For me it's AM or bust between activities with the two kids and wife not supporting the idea of me disappearing for two+ hours midday (I don't blame her).

Inspired by true events. To the tune of ‘Turn the Page’.

🎷 🎶  

On a long stretch of highway, near Annapolis

Been out for near an hour and guts go bubble fizzz

He don’t feel much like stoppin but the choice it’s isn’t hiiis

There it is, on the road ahead

There it is, off to the siiide

There he go, on the reno site

Porto fairy, thank you soooo

🎷 🎶  

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've got a case of metarsalgia in my left foot that flares up from time to time.  It comes out of nowhere, to the point where I'm completely pain-free one day, and the next day I care barely walk.  Last time it happened was September when I did the marathon with Mr. and Mrs. @gianmarco, and now it flared up again on Wednesday.  Missed my runs on both Wednesday and Thursday, but I got some treatment, popped some diclofenac, and by yesterday morning it was feeling probably 80-90%, and I was able to do an easy 5-miler on the treadmill.  Fast forward another 24 hours, and the foot was feeling good as new.  Did 14 on the treadmill this afternoon with no issues.

@gianmarco (half-)jokingly blames it on the Peloton, and I think there might be some truth to that.  Both times it's flared up, I'd been doing a good amount of cycling in the days prior, particularly riding fast/heavy out of the saddle.  Gonna need to keep an eye on that.

Unrelated, I'm thinking about investing in a pair of Normatec recovery boots.  Anybody have any experience with these?

Inspired by true events. To the tune of ‘Turn the Page’.

🎷 🎶  

On a long stretch of highway, near Annapolis

Been out for near an hour and guts go bubble fizzz

He don’t feel much like stoppin but the choice it’s isn’t hiiis

There it is, on the road ahead

There it is, off to the siiide

There he go, on the reno site

Porto fairy, thank you soooo

🎷 🎶  
#ChiefD Approved

Full day today:

1. 3.5 miles on the treadmill

2. Furniture store to finally get some matching bedroom furniture. My wife and I have never had a matching set in our 19 years together. We agreed on a set in about 27 minutes. Will be delivered Friday.

3. Bought a car for my oldest son. We've told all the kids that whatever you save for a car we will match that amount. He saved two years working as a soccer referee. A deal fell into our lap for a Ford Escape from one of our close friends. It's an older car, but perfect for a first time driver. So he contributed half of the cost and still has money left over. A hell of a happy day for him and a proud day for mom and dad.

4. Painted trim in the master bedroom and bathroom.

5. Started a fire and popped a cold beer.

I'm tired and need a break. I have worked remodeling this house for about 26 days straight. It's winding down thank God.

Go Chiefs - you are all welcome to hop on the bandwagon tomorrow.  :banned:

4. Painted trim in the master bedroom and bathroom.

5. Started a fire and popped a cold beer.
Good to see more euphemisms.

Great to hear about your son too...I'm proud of him just reading that. Also nice to have your Saturday update back that includes running.

Man, just getting outdoor to do ANYTHING this week is bad-###.  So awesome.

Wimped out on low teen temps and colder feels like temps but did fo to the gym and ran on the treadmill. Followed that up with some core strength work. It really feels good to be back "on the wagon" again. 
Yeah, its been nice to see you back here and active again.  Keep up the good work.

3. Bought a car for my oldest son. We've told all the kids that whatever you save for a car we will match that amount. He saved two years working as a soccer referee. A deal fell into our lap for a Ford Escape from one of our close friends. It's an older car, but perfect for a first time driver. So he contributed half of the cost and still has money left over. A hell of a happy day for him and a proud day for mom and dad.
:yes:   That's what we did for our two kids when they started driving ...bought older, junky looking cars through the gas station/auto repair shop almost across the street from us.  We knew they'd run well, and as older cars, we didn't add collision coverage (or whatever it is that covers the car body).  If they got more dings or rust, who cares.  We worried enough about the kids ...no need to worry about a nice looking car, too.

So I've got a case of metarsalgia in my left foot that flares up from time to time.  It comes out of nowhere, to the point where I'm completely pain-free one day, and the next day I care barely walk.  Last time it happened was September when I did the marathon with Mr. and Mrs. @gianmarco, and now it flared up again on Wednesday.  Missed my runs on both Wednesday and Thursday, but I got some treatment, popped some diclofenac, and by yesterday morning it was feeling probably 80-90%, and I was able to do an easy 5-miler on the treadmill.  Fast forward another 24 hours, and the foot was feeling good as new.  Did 14 on the treadmill this afternoon with no issues.

@gianmarco (half-)jokingly blames it on the Peloton, and I think there might be some truth to that.  Both times it's flared up, I'd been doing a good amount of cycling in the days prior, particularly riding fast/heavy out of the saddle.  Gonna need to keep an eye on that.

Unrelated, I'm thinking about investing in a pair of Normatec recovery boots.  Anybody have any experience with these?
I've been wanting to grab a pair for a while now. Maybe we can split the cost and each use one boot. 

I've been wanting to grab a pair for a while now. Maybe we can split the cost and each use one boot. 
A lot of my friends are recommending the cheaper Air Relax brand. I don't mind spending more for Normatec if they're better, but I don't wanna just pay for a name.

tri-man 47 said:
I appreciate the update.  Wow, what a challenge for her ...and your whole family.  How old are your kids? This must be difficult for them too.  Add in the added frustration of your wife having her schooling interrupted - yeesh.   :loco:   I suppose the workouts/training that you both have done has helped a lot as you're both used to having to be patient, tough, focused, self-disciplined, etc.  That doesn't really make is easier, though.  Stay strong!  Tell her we're rooting for her.
Thanks again TM.  The kids are doing pretty well.  They (two girls) are 5 and 9, and have become incredible friends during the COVID.  The five year old gets a bit scared/sad when mom has a down moment, but they’re handling it all solidly.  Going to be a long year for all of us though I think.

And yeah, I’ve said a few times I have no idea how someone like a single mom deals with something like this.  Ugh.  

21 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

Expand  
Solid idea. I wish I had time to have tacked on another 8 this morning afterwards since I slept through the alarm. Floppinho has a school of rock concert this afternoon- along with a list of things floppinha wants to do with me....rest of today is shot/excellent.

For me it's AM or bust between activities with the two kids and wife not supporting the idea of me disappearing for two+ hours midday (I don't blame her).
It worked out perfectly!

Got out around 6:15 for an O&B to Red Hook. Roads/sidewalks were mostly clear, temp was a mild 37 (ran in shorts) without much wind.

First miles didn't feel great. Only downside...after a burrito loco for dinner last night, take a wild guess from my Strava feed where I had to shovel it. And my luxury spot was closed too...thought I'd have to just wing it to shocking effect somewhere in Dumbo, but found a heated open spot on one of the piers. Felt a lot better after that.

First flakes started falling around mile 13, and a minute after I got home the flurries started in earnest.

Living vicariously through you today, @ChiefD!  

Back south again today, and got out for a 10-miler.  The sub-5:00 kms were ticking-off on the headphones, and I actually thought my watch was wrong.  Effort was too easy.  But it kept happening, so I rolled with it, and decided to push a little more toward the end.

Maybe the reduced mileage is helping?  Definitely the cooler temps are.  So much easier to run at pace when it's not crazy hot (60F+).  I think my next marathon is going to need to be this one.

-OZ- said:
Btw, gaining 10-15 lbs in a year isn't so bad for the pool or bike (at least the trainer). And I feel remarkably good overall.  But it sucks for running. 
I know it's from lack of miles, but it feels weird to be pushing and not being able to go faster while my HR stays in zone 2. Fluctuating a little with hills. But today's HM hit home that I need to get my legs stronger before I actually try to race again.

I'm out for any drafting here, unless maybe we put tri teams together.

Well since the last marathon I put on 40+ points and topped the scale at 272.  Not posting here because honestly  I don't deserve to waste the bandwidth.  Down 18 lbs, but it's a long way to the top if you want to rocknroll.  Hit the lottery for a 100 mile entry in Sept.  Stretch goal is sub 24 hour.  If TB12 can win a Super Bowl at 43, I can lose 50 pounds and go sub 24 at 55.  Goal is to go sub 24 and bench press 300 lbs at 55 yo.  Should be fun as I'm likely the slowest and fattest mf in this thread.  If anyone is doing a relay this summer where her drinking ranks higher than speed, hit me up and I'm in.

Well since the last marathon I put on 40+ points and topped the scale at 272.  Not posting here because honestly  I don't deserve to waste the bandwidth.  Down 18 lbs, but it's a long way to the top if you want to rocknroll.  Hit the lottery for a 100 mile entry in Sept.  Stretch goal is sub 24 hour.  If TB12 can win a Super Bowl at 43, I can lose 50 pounds and go sub 24 at 55.  Goal is to go sub 24 and bench press 300 lbs at 55 yo.  Should be fun as I'm likely the slowest and fattest mf in this thread.  If anyone is doing a relay this summer where her drinking ranks higher than speed, hit me up and I'm in.
Challenge accepted  :banned:

Good to see you back, bnb.

One step at a time.

But yeah, getting back into things is tough. Down 18lbs is a great start though...I'd guess if you keep at however you're reversing the weight and stay with running/biking like you know how, you'll be back at fighting mode pdq.

Tough game @ChiefD. The offensive line woes finally caught up to you.  Some of Mahomes throws while scrambling were pretty amazing even though often incomplete.

On another note, I woke up 5 lbs heavier this morning than yesterday morning.  I guess Super Bowl eating and drinking has consequences.

Tough game @ChiefD. The offensive line woes finally caught up to you.  Some of Mahomes throws while scrambling were pretty amazing even though often incomplete.

On another note, I woke up 5 lbs heavier this morning than yesterday morning.  I guess Super Bowl eating and drinking has consequences.
Waiting to take the first dump of the day before punishing the scale.

I kind of feel cheated.  The weather is going to be warmer this week than the forecast called for last week.  A lot more single digits than sub zeros.

I wore the balaclava today. It was 7 degrees with low wind.  After the first quarter mile, I pulled it below my my nose and mouth.  That's a bit much.  Having a toasty neck makes a big difference.  I was totally comfortable bordering on too warm.  I have a good glove system these days.  Two pairs of light gloves under a pair of light windproof mittens under the freezer mittens.  I think I could handle -10 or so.  I'd like to try.

I kind of feel cheated.  The weather is going to be warmer this week than the forecast called for last week.  A lot more single digits than sub zeros.

I wore the balaclava today. It was 7 degrees with low wind.  After the first quarter mile, I pulled it below my my nose and mouth.  That's a bit much.  Having a toasty neck makes a big difference.  I was totally comfortable bordering on too warm.  I have a good glove system these days.  Two pairs of light gloves under a pair of light windproof mittens under the freezer mittens.  I think I could handle -10 or so.  I'd like to try.
I was happier with the original forecast. This amended one shifted our weather to you, which puts us on the jet stream - warmer temps, but more wind (so the feels like is the same) and more snow. I'm gonna try to get some intervals in today, but I'm not optimistic about anything beyond windy snow covered foot shuffles the rest of the week. Gonna try not to take > 2 days off before the pattern change, but we'll see...

Which balaclava did you get?

I was happier with the original forecast. This amended one shifted our weather to you, which puts us on the jet stream - warmer temps, but more wind (so the feels like is the same) and more snow. I'm gonna try to get some intervals in today, but I'm not optimistic about anything beyond windy snow covered foot shuffles the rest of the week. Gonna try not to take > 2 days off before the pattern change, but we'll see...
Our weather keeps getting colder everytime I look. And for a longer period of time. I know you guys are used to it, but f all that noise.

That said, I was out yesterday at 10 degrees (felt like 3), and was pretty comfortable with 2 layers on along with a gaiter and hat (didn't do the balaclava yesterday). Hand warmers in the gloves are great. Luckily not much wind so it felt just fine running easy.

Just checking in to see if you guys are still ####### nuts

Yup

Carry on

Users who are viewing this thread