What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Congrats Hang 10! As you mention, you've had an up and down training cycle with lots of changes so it's nice to see it pay off! Coming off a good half is such a great confidence builder for a full. I probably thought about my September half on about a dozen runs when I felt like I needed a boost.

pbm - You've been killing it! I feel more confident about you than I did about myself. You're probably in about 2:55 shape right now.
Beasts, both of you!

thanks everyone! :)
Congrats! Sounds like a great race, and way to finish strong!

ChiefD said:
I want a new glove

"Equal to or substantially better than steroids … and it's not illegal."

the story starts, improbably, with a longstanding question about bears
Interesting.
A local trail runner/tech entrepreneur had a chance to try these last year at Stanford, and said it was amazing. He just did pushup sets with the glove on between sets, but he said he was able to do so many more than normal that he couldn't move his arms for a few days afterward. Interesting technology...

ThreeThousand said:
Ironman Louisville Race Report

This has been a strange build for me – I’ve had a couple injuries and a new addition to the family (born directly after Ironman Chattanooga in 2014). Strained my back pretty badly picking up the newborn a couple months ago and had to take some time off, and had an ingrown toenail that I had to get removed that also sidelined me for a week. Add in some difficulty sleeping, due to both the training and the newborn, and it’s been a rough go the past few months.

That said, I arrived in Louisville Friday early afternoon, after loading my 4 year old, 3 year old, and wife (1 year old stayed at home with the grandparents) into the car at 6:00am on Friday. We got out of Atlanta pretty quickly and on the road north, so were in Louisville at about 1:00ish on Friday. We had originally planned to come up Thursday to make sure we made athlete checkin (for those not familiar with Ironman races, they force all athletes to check in either 2 or 3 days before the race, you have the option of either day), but decided last minute to drive up early Friday for the Sunday race, in order to avoid an extra hotel room night. My buddies racing drove up Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, and parents flew in Thursday afternoon. We stayed at the Hyatt on 4th Street, literally next door to the finish line, which was a fantastic location. I highly recommend staying here if you run this race – tons of food options across the street or around the corner, and you could see the finish line from our hotel room window.

After we got all checked in to the hotel, grabbed lunch, and got the wife and kids settled down for their afternoon nap, I walked over with the buddies to athlete check-in, expecting a long line. Turns out, apparently everyone else checked in on Thursday, because I breezed through the whole waiver process/bib pickup/swag bag acquisition. The longest line I stood in was in the merchandise tent as I wanted to pick up a IM Louisville mug to add to the collection. I also signed the 2 big kids up for the Ironkids race on Saturday morning. Strangely enough, for as bad of an economic deal as an IM is ($700, plus or minus, for a race), the Ironkids race was a pretty sweet deal - $15 per kid for the race, which includes a gear bag, tshirt or hat, finisher medel, Ironkids sticker, and some other random cr@p. Walked back to the hotel and laid around until dinner, which was at the Hard Rock Café at 4th Street Live, which was one of the few spots which would accommodate a party of 12. Early bedtime (9pm).

Saturday

Up when the kids woke up (about 6:00am), proceeded to grab breakfast and head over to the Ironkids race at 10:00am. The race was at transition, which was about a 1.25 mile walk. As you might imagine, herding a 4 year old, 3 year old, wife, and 2 grandparents that far was a bit of a miracle, but the kids loved the race and especially loved getting their medals. Walked back to the hotel afterwards and divvied up the gear into gear bags/Special Needs bags. Bike dropoff was 12-5pm Saturday, so the buddies and I rode down to transition to save the legs (walked back). Football at the hotel for the rest of the day.

Sunday – race day!

Up at 4:30 am to get ready. Showered, made some coffee, and had my usual race breakfast of a bagel with peanut butter. Met buddies in the lobby of the Hyatt, and one was having some serious GI issues from dinner yesterday. I blame the deviled eggs he ate J, but after his 4th or 5th trip to the bathroom he called the race before he even made it out of the hotel. The other, though, and I grabbed our gear, walked the 1.25 miles to transition, and finished loading up our bikes/airing up tires. Just a few minutes in transition and we walked off to join the ever-lengthening swim start line. Louisville is a time trial swim start, so the slow swimmers tend to get there super early to get a good spot in line. We, unfortunately, since we got there about 6:15ish, had a pretty crappy spot – maybe 80% or so of the way back. Another important note – at Chattanooga, they let you keep your morning clothes with you while you waited in line, and they had volunteers literally right by the entrance to the dock area to grab them from you as you began your swim, maybe 20-30 seconds before you jumped in the water. In Louisville, though, you had to drop your morning clothes bag before you got in line. So, I spent the entire 1.5 hours waiting in line shivering, as it was pretty cold race morning (40 degrees) and I was anticipating keeping my morning clothes, so I didn’t have anything other than a wetsuit to stay warm. Once the sun came up, though, it warmed up nicely, to the mid-70s. The gun went off at 7:30, and the line began moving pretty fast.

Swim

The swim is in a protected channel in the lee of Towhead Island for about 1200 meters upriver to a turn buoy, then back downriver on the other side of the island for about 2600 meters. Oddly enough, I had less congestion on the front 1/3 vs the back 2/3. No noticeable current, and got kicked in the face once, but other than that, no big deal on the swim. Swim finish goes up some carpeted stairs at Joe’s Crab Shack. Finished in 1:10:04 (Chattanooga 2014 was 55:59, Florida 2012 was 1:23:45). Chattanooga last year was with a massive downstream current.

T1

Hit the wetsuit strippers right in front of the family so they could get some pictures. Long run from the swim exit to T1, and the changing tent was packed. Put the helmet on first, and tried to put on a wind vest before I gave up because I was too wet. Skipped the arm warmers (was still about 45 outside), hit the sunscreen gals outside, grabbed the bike and was off. T1 was 7:15.

Bike

Man, this was a hilly and tough bike course. I’d describe it as a lollipop with an out and back on the stem. The first portion, along River Road heading out of Louisville, was relatively flat and it was pretty easy, a great stretch to warm up for the first 12ish miles. Then, you make a right on the out and back, and there are a couple of monsters. This out and back has been described as the worst part of the course, as it’s on a very narrow 2-lane road, with tons of bike traffic both ways, and screaming downhills/monster uphills the other direction. The only good news is that it’s about 5 miles out/5 back, so at least it’s short. I was in the granny gear each way, going up the hills at 6mph (and still passing people). Once you get to the loops, it’s a virtual non-stop of up/down for the rest of the ride. Nutrition went great. In general, my plan is to start with one bottle of water in the aerobottle, a couple of “emergency” gels and one bonk breaker in my bento box, and to just live off the course. Grab one water/one Gatorade at the first aid station, and some gels, and basically just replenish at each aid station for the rest of the ride. Averaged 266 cals/hr. Stopped once at Special Needs to pee and to grab the Redbull in my SN bag.

The last 12 miles-ish was on the same flat road coming back in, so it was a nice chance to spin quickly and get my legs stretched out for the run. Final bike time was 5:54:03 (Chattanooga for 116 miles was 5:39:39, Florida 6:12:09).

T2

Nothing eventful – grabbed the gear bag, changed socks/shoes, rebodyglided everything, got the visor, hit the porta-potty, and was off. T2 time 8:08, and I have no idea how it took this long.

Run

Honestly, I think this was the most well-executed part of my race. One of my goals coming in was to run a sub-4:00 marathon. This is an out-and-back 13ish mile course that you do twice, and is super-flat. I think you go under a bridge right in front of the University of Louisville, but that’s the extent of the elevation gain, and it’s like 10 feet. Aid stations were well stocked and supported, although the crowds got a bit sparse outside of the first couple of miles. Finished in 3:58:29, for a total race time of 11:17 (Chattanooga was 10:55, Florida 12:23).

Post-race

As I mentioned earlier, my hotel was literally steps from the finish line, so I hooked up with the family that saw me finish, walked back to the hotel, and got in the shower. Enjoyed the traditional post-race chocolate milk while cleaning off, and then the family and I went in search of the rest of the crew and some food. The first was easy to find – we saw the buddies and their families in the lobby of the hotel. The latter, though, not so much – you’d think that the restaurant managers in the city of Louisville, having hosted this race for many years running, and knowing that there’s going to be 10,000 hungry people around the finish line, would have the foresight to keep their places open. But nope – the Chipotle closed at 8:00. Same for the Potbelly. Qdoba was a no-go. The Smashburger had a line out the door because they only had 3 employees working (one taking orders, one cooking food, one cleaning up tables/restocking/etc). Just a general nightmare. Eventually, though, we were able to get a seat at the Gordon Biersch in 4th Street Live for dinner. Enjoyed the burger (and the remnants of the food from both kid plates, as well as the wife’s, along with my parents’, etc). Packed up and drove home the next day, and am busy recovering/maintaining fitness for IM Florida on 11/7.

Overall results

Looking back, I’m pretty pleased with the overall results. The first number is gender place, the second division (M35-39), and the last is overall. I was 784/100/968 in Florida in 2012, 284/58/336 in Chattanooga in 2014, and was 240/61/279 in Louisville. Not bad, IMO. Maybe one day I’ll get lucky, have a good day, and snag a Kona rolldown :thumbup:
What were your run splits?

Also your sig has your 2012 race calendar.

I am alive and competed my half marathon. Time was 2:13:40 and my goal was under 2:15. A lot of people, on this forum and in my race ran a lot faster than me, but I did it and hit my target. I'll post a longer race report if I can figure out the difference between my Strava and chip time splits, and if you guys stop posting sub 90 minute times for the same distance :lol:

Let's talk marathon pacing strategy. One thing I've noticed for us mortal runners is that everyone fades at the end of a marathon. I know "banking time" is supposed to be a big no no for a marathon but I was reading that to get the most out of race you should run the first half a couple seconds faster than goal pace.

30 seconds slower than my half puts me at 7:06 avg and a 3:05 marathon is a 7:04 avg. There's also a 3:05 pacer...and I know the guy. I guess I'll cut to the chase and just ask the question. Should I run with the 3:05 pacer??

Let's talk marathon pacing strategy. One thing I've noticed for us mortal runners is that everyone fades at the end of a marathon. I know "banking time" is supposed to be a big no no for a marathon but I was reading that to get the most out of race you should run the first half a couple seconds faster than goal pace.

30 seconds slower than my half puts me at 7:06 avg and a 3:05 marathon is a 7:04 avg. There's also a 3:05 pacer...and I know the guy. I guess I'll cut to the chase and just ask the question. Should I run with the 3:05 pacer??
You can capture all that time in the first mile (assuming traffic allows) by running that mile at half marathon pace. When you're fresh and the heart rate is low, IMO it has no impact on your race.

congrats ThreeThousand :thumbup: Sounds like a great race. Sounds like you've done a lot of Ironman's. I signed up for IM Wisconsin in 2016. It will be my first one. I am planning to follow Don Fink's Intermediate plan (I'll start in February). Did you follow a self-made plan? Or what was your training schedule like? Thanks

You can capture all that time in the first mile (assuming traffic allows) by running that mile at half marathon pace. When you're fresh and the heart rate is low, IMO it has no impact on your race.
Sand the start of a marathon?

Actually after my last race, I'm a lot less concerned about my heart rate than I am about leg fatigue. Cardio wise I felt pretty comfortable most the way in my half...turning over my legs became the real chore.

I signed up for a Turkey Trot 5K today. My 68 year-old mom signed up for this race (her first ever) and is taking a class at her local running store to help with training. She's been doing fine (I think she's up to running for 6 minute intervals with walk breaks in between). She used to jog many years ago and has kept up with long walks so I'll think she'll be OK. I made sure to explain to her that the 65-69 female age group is ripe for medal mongering.
Keep her away from tri-man.... :eek:

congrats ThreeThousand :thumbup: Sounds like a great race. Sounds like you've done a lot of Ironman's. I signed up for IM Wisconsin in 2016. It will be my first one. I am planning to follow Don Fink's Intermediate plan (I'll start in February). Did you follow a self-made plan? Or what was your training schedule like? Thanks
Congrats on your marathon! :thumbup: You'll have to remind me next year, and I'll come down and watch you in Madison!

Obviously I don't have the experience, but from what I've witnessed with others the 20 mile warm-up and 10K race approach seems to be the best one for marathon novice's. If your goal is 3:10 I'd think going off the 3:05 pacer would be too aggressive. If you've reassessed your goal based on your half and think 3:05 is feasible then go with him.

Obviously I don't have the experience, but from what I've witnessed with others the 20 mile warm-up and 10K race approach seems to be the best one for marathon novice's. If your goal is 3:10 I'd think going off the 3:05 pacer would be too aggressive. If you've reassessed your goal based on your half and think 3:05 is feasible then go with him.
My goal from the start has been 3:08. More recently I've mentioned 3:10 because my training hit a down spot but after my half I'm thinking 3:07ish...idk. 3:05 sounds really fast but it's actually few minutes slower than all the calculators say I should run.

My goal from the start has been 3:08. More recently I've mentioned 3:10 because my training hit a down spot but after my half I'm thinking 3:07ish...idk. 3:05 sounds really fast but it's actually few minutes slower than all the calculators say I should run.
Hang10 you are in tough spot in determining an appropriate marathon pace because you are improving so much and you haven't run a marathon in a while. You just ran a great half, but because you haven't been running high mileage very long you are unlikely capable of running the McMillan equivalent of 3:02:51. If your goal is to BQ, I would aim for a 3:07 and try to get to 13.1 in 1:33:30.

ThreeThousand said:
Ironman Louisville Race Report

This has been a strange build for me Ive had a couple injuries and a new addition to the family (born directly after Ironman Chattanooga in 2014). Strained my back pretty badly picking up the newborn a couple months ago and had to take some time off, and had an ingrown toenail that I had to get removed that also sidelined me for a week. Add in some difficulty sleeping, due to both the training and the newborn, and its been a rough go the past few months.

That said, I arrived in Louisville Friday early afternoon, after loading my 4 year old, 3 year old, and wife (1 year old stayed at home with the grandparents) into the car at 6:00am on Friday. We got out of Atlanta pretty quickly and on the road north, so were in Louisville at about 1:00ish on Friday. We had originally planned to come up Thursday to make sure we made athlete checkin (for those not familiar with Ironman races, they force all athletes to check in either 2 or 3 days before the race, you have the option of either day), but decided last minute to drive up early Friday for the Sunday race, in order to avoid an extra hotel room night. My buddies racing drove up Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, and parents flew in Thursday afternoon. We stayed at the Hyatt on 4th Street, literally next door to the finish line, which was a fantastic location. I highly recommend staying here if you run this race tons of food options across the street or around the corner, and you could see the finish line from our hotel room window.

After we got all checked in to the hotel, grabbed lunch, and got the wife and kids settled down for their afternoon nap, I walked over with the buddies to athlete check-in, expecting a long line. Turns out, apparently everyone else checked in on Thursday, because I breezed through the whole waiver process/bib pickup/swag bag acquisition. The longest line I stood in was in the merchandise tent as I wanted to pick up a IM Louisville mug to add to the collection. I also signed the 2 big kids up for the Ironkids race on Saturday morning. Strangely enough, for as bad of an economic deal as an IM is ($700, plus or minus, for a race), the Ironkids race was a pretty sweet deal - $15 per kid for the race, which includes a gear bag, tshirt or hat, finisher medel, Ironkids sticker, and some other random cr@p. Walked back to the hotel and laid around until dinner, which was at the Hard Rock Café at 4th Street Live, which was one of the few spots which would accommodate a party of 12. Early bedtime (9pm).

Saturday

Up when the kids woke up (about 6:00am), proceeded to grab breakfast and head over to the Ironkids race at 10:00am. The race was at transition, which was about a 1.25 mile walk. As you might imagine, herding a 4 year old, 3 year old, wife, and 2 grandparents that far was a bit of a miracle, but the kids loved the race and especially loved getting their medals. Walked back to the hotel afterwards and divvied up the gear into gear bags/Special Needs bags. Bike dropoff was 12-5pm Saturday, so the buddies and I rode down to transition to save the legs (walked back). Football at the hotel for the rest of the day.

Sunday race day!

Up at 4:30 am to get ready. Showered, made some coffee, and had my usual race breakfast of a bagel with peanut butter. Met buddies in the lobby of the Hyatt, and one was having some serious GI issues from dinner yesterday. I blame the deviled eggs he ate J, but after his 4th or 5th trip to the bathroom he called the race before he even made it out of the hotel. The other, though, and I grabbed our gear, walked the 1.25 miles to transition, and finished loading up our bikes/airing up tires. Just a few minutes in transition and we walked off to join the ever-lengthening swim start line. Louisville is a time trial swim start, so the slow swimmers tend to get there super early to get a good spot in line. We, unfortunately, since we got there about 6:15ish, had a pretty crappy spot maybe 80% or so of the way back. Another important note at Chattanooga, they let you keep your morning clothes with you while you waited in line, and they had volunteers literally right by the entrance to the dock area to grab them from you as you began your swim, maybe 20-30 seconds before you jumped in the water. In Louisville, though, you had to drop your morning clothes bag before you got in line. So, I spent the entire 1.5 hours waiting in line shivering, as it was pretty cold race morning (40 degrees) and I was anticipating keeping my morning clothes, so I didnt have anything other than a wetsuit to stay warm. Once the sun came up, though, it warmed up nicely, to the mid-70s. The gun went off at 7:30, and the line began moving pretty fast.

Swim

The swim is in a protected channel in the lee of Towhead Island for about 1200 meters upriver to a turn buoy, then back downriver on the other side of the island for about 2600 meters. Oddly enough, I had less congestion on the front 1/3 vs the back 2/3. No noticeable current, and got kicked in the face once, but other than that, no big deal on the swim. Swim finish goes up some carpeted stairs at Joes Crab Shack. Finished in 1:10:04 (Chattanooga 2014 was 55:59, Florida 2012 was 1:23:45). Chattanooga last year was with a massive downstream current.

T1

Hit the wetsuit strippers right in front of the family so they could get some pictures. Long run from the swim exit to T1, and the changing tent was packed. Put the helmet on first, and tried to put on a wind vest before I gave up because I was too wet. Skipped the arm warmers (was still about 45 outside), hit the sunscreen gals outside, grabbed the bike and was off. T1 was 7:15.

Bike

Man, this was a hilly and tough bike course. Id describe it as a lollipop with an out and back on the stem. The first portion, along River Road heading out of Louisville, was relatively flat and it was pretty easy, a great stretch to warm up for the first 12ish miles. Then, you make a right on the out and back, and there are a couple of monsters. This out and back has been described as the worst part of the course, as its on a very narrow 2-lane road, with tons of bike traffic both ways, and screaming downhills/monster uphills the other direction. The only good news is that its about 5 miles out/5 back, so at least its short. I was in the granny gear each way, going up the hills at 6mph (and still passing people). Once you get to the loops, its a virtual non-stop of up/down for the rest of the ride. Nutrition went great. In general, my plan is to start with one bottle of water in the aerobottle, a couple of emergency gels and one bonk breaker in my bento box, and to just live off the course. Grab one water/one Gatorade at the first aid station, and some gels, and basically just replenish at each aid station for the rest of the ride. Averaged 266 cals/hr. Stopped once at Special Needs to pee and to grab the Redbull in my SN bag.

The last 12 miles-ish was on the same flat road coming back in, so it was a nice chance to spin quickly and get my legs stretched out for the run. Final bike time was 5:54:03 (Chattanooga for 116 miles was 5:39:39, Florida 6:12:09).

T2

Nothing eventful grabbed the gear bag, changed socks/shoes, rebodyglided everything, got the visor, hit the porta-potty, and was off. T2 time 8:08, and I have no idea how it took this long.

Run

Honestly, I think this was the most well-executed part of my race. One of my goals coming in was to run a sub-4:00 marathon. This is an out-and-back 13ish mile course that you do twice, and is super-flat. I think you go under a bridge right in front of the University of Louisville, but thats the extent of the elevation gain, and its like 10 feet. Aid stations were well stocked and supported, although the crowds got a bit sparse outside of the first couple of miles. Finished in 3:58:29, for a total race time of 11:17 (Chattanooga was 10:55, Florida 12:23).

Post-race

As I mentioned earlier, my hotel was literally steps from the finish line, so I hooked up with the family that saw me finish, walked back to the hotel, and got in the shower. Enjoyed the traditional post-race chocolate milk while cleaning off, and then the family and I went in search of the rest of the crew and some food. The first was easy to find we saw the buddies and their families in the lobby of the hotel. The latter, though, not so much youd think that the restaurant managers in the city of Louisville, having hosted this race for many years running, and knowing that theres going to be 10,000 hungry people around the finish line, would have the foresight to keep their places open. But nope the Chipotle closed at 8:00. Same for the Potbelly. Qdoba was a no-go. The Smashburger had a line out the door because they only had 3 employees working (one taking orders, one cooking food, one cleaning up tables/restocking/etc). Just a general nightmare. Eventually, though, we were able to get a seat at the Gordon Biersch in 4th Street Live for dinner. Enjoyed the burger (and the remnants of the food from both kid plates, as well as the wifes, along with my parents, etc). Packed up and drove home the next day, and am busy recovering/maintaining fitness for IM Florida on 11/7.

Overall results

Looking back, Im pretty pleased with the overall results. The first number is gender place, the second division (M35-39), and the last is overall. I was 784/100/968 in Florida in 2012, 284/58/336 in Chattanooga in 2014, and was 240/61/279 in Louisville. Not bad, IMO. Maybe one day Ill get lucky, have a good day, and snag a Kona rolldown :thumbup:
What were your run splits?

Also your sig has your 2012 race calendar.
Strangely enough, splits were available through the live tracker, but not on the actual reaults page. From memory, they started around 8:30/mile and ended at the upper 9s somewhere, for an overall pace of 9:02, I believe.

As far as the race calendar, yeah, I know I've been slack in updating it. Only thing left for me in 2015 though is IM Florida on 11/7.

Hang10 you are in tough spot in determining an appropriate marathon pace because you are improving so much and you haven't run a marathon in a while. You just ran a great half, but because you haven't been running high mileage very long you are unlikely capable of running the McMillan equivalent of 3:02:51. If your goal is to BQ, I would aim for a 3:07 and try to get to 13.1 in 1:33:30.
Yeah, I haven't run a marathon in like 4 years and my 50k trail races aren't very good equivalents of a fast marathon.

3:07 does sound about right but I liked the idea of running with someone I know. 3+ hours can get quite lonely!

I signed up for a Turkey Trot 5K today. My 68 year-old mom signed up for this race (her first ever) and is taking a class at her local running store to help with training. She's been doing fine (I think she's up to running for 6 minute intervals with walk breaks in between). She used to jog many years ago and has kept up with long walks so I'll think she'll be OK. I made sure to explain to her that the 65-69 female age group is ripe for medal mongering.
LOL -- 100% true story. She texted me this morning and told me how well her run went. She said maybe it had to do with the compression socks she just bought!

LOL -- 100% true story. She texted me this morning and told me how well her run went. She said maybe it had to do with the compression socks she just bought!
That's as good as sexy lingerie for tri-man. Be careful.

:pickle:

I officially hate you guys that are able to run consistently without complications...

So, 2 years later, no closer to an explanation for my running condition. The upper calf area of my right leg continues to not enjoy running and is sore/tender/painful after any run. The left leg goes through the same range of motions and doesn't have any problems. While we don't know the cause for the asymmetrical pain, next steps are to strengthen my glutes that are noticably weak (no pain in IT band though), slight tweak to orthotic insert and a change in running shoe.

I'm open to trying new things and hope that small changes allow me to run just a little further before problems happen, but I'm starting to get resigned that this is the hand (calf) I'm dealt and that there is no good fix for this. Can't say I haven't tried to fix it and for that, I don't have regrets. Still sucks though.

:wub:

Sand the start of a marathon?

Actually after my last race, I'm a lot less concerned about my heart rate than I am about leg fatigue. Cardio wise I felt pretty comfortable most the way in my half...turning over my legs became the real chore.
I don't view as Sanding as much as not "wasting" a low HR over the first half-mile or mile.

Regarding pacers, I don't like trying to stay in front of a pace group ...I get caught worrying when they might catch up with me (a negative feeling). Maybe better to start somewhere behind the 3:05 group and see if they stay in sight as you proceed. The mental distraction could be to see how long they stay in sight while you're stilling running very comfortably ...kind of the idea of shadow running - letting someone in front to all the work and you just trail along. Of course, if you want the company and know the guy, you could just run with them, but not being stubborn about staying with them if the pace isn't right.

Yeah I had considered that the 3:05 group should be in view at my goal pace, so that probably is the smart move unless it's a really good day.

ThreeThousand said:
Run

Honestly, I think this was the most well-executed part of my race. One of my goals coming in was to run a sub-4:00 marathon. This is an out-and-back 13ish mile course that you do twice, and is super-flat. I think you go under a bridge right in front of the University of Louisville, but that’s the extent of the elevation gain, and it’s like 10 feet. Aid stations were well stocked and supported, although the crowds got a bit sparse outside of the first couple of miles. Finished in 3:58:29, for a total race time of 11:17 (Chattanooga was 10:55, Florida 12:23).
I don't think it can be overstated how good of a run this is. That's an incredible effort there.

Yeah I had considered that the 3:05 group should be in view at my goal pace, so that probably is the smart move unless it's a really good day.
Don't count on knowing that until around mile 20! However, I banked a minute in the first half (even while running with a pace group) and then another few minutes between 13.1 and 20. So, any advice I give you about keeping yourself in check is a bit hypocritical. And, I must admit, I'm glad I banked some time even if the experts tell us not to.

Brony, sorry to hear you are still having issues. Is it still compartment syndrome or do they just not know? Did your surgery do any good or was it unsuccessful?

On this hand-cooling gizmo. Is the idea that you can cool yourself down so that you can run much longer in training without fatigue? Isn't the adaptation to the fatigue (or stress) what makes you faster? Interesting to see what the college runners will do training with it.

Don't count on knowing that until around mile 20! However, I banked a minute in the first half (even while running with a pace group) and then another few minutes between 13.1 and 20. So, any advice I give you about keeping yourself in check is a bit hypocritical. And, I must admit, I'm glad I banked some time even if the experts tell us not to.
I worry about trying to run a whole marathon at the same pace because it seems to be a impossible task for normal runners. Everyone fades, so it seems best to bank some time...you just need to figure the right amount.

I officially hate you guys that are able to run consistently without complications...

So, 2 years later, no closer to an explanation for my running condition. The upper calf area of my right leg continues to not enjoy running and is sore/tender/painful after any run. The left leg goes through the same range of motions and doesn't have any problems. While we don't know the cause for the asymmetrical pain, next steps are to strengthen my glutes that are noticably weak (no pain in IT band though), slight tweak to orthotic insert and a change in running shoe.

I'm open to trying new things and hope that small changes allow me to run just a little further before problems happen, but I'm starting to get resigned that this is the hand (calf) I'm dealt and that there is no good fix for this. Can't say I haven't tried to fix it and for that, I don't have regrets. Still sucks though.
What's your current strength training regimen? what have you done previously? what specifically were your previous injuries? if you've got any extra details tot hrow in there (i.e. rehab, other complications that arose post op) do that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brony, sorry to hear you are still having issues. Is it still compartment syndrome or do they just not know? Did your surgery do any good or was it unsuccessful?
They just don't know. It's not compartment syndrome, which is frustrating. I don't regret doing the surgery - I had tried everything up til the point and the continuation of my woes confirms that there is something off in my upper calf, so why not try surgery. I've had no other complications or residual effects from the surgery. If the surgeon guru in my area wasn't retiring end of last year, I would not have done the surgery when I had it done, but would have still considered it this year. Trying something different is better than doing the exact same things and expecting different results IMO.

What's your current strength training regimen? what have you done previously?
I've done PT for a year + on this when it initially developed in the mid-90's with zero improvement. If strengthening or stretching was the cure, I'd have this licked decades ago. Now I'm doing calf and soleus strengthening via therapeutic band and eccentric calf raises on stair step.

What's your current strength training regimen? what have you done previously?
I've done PT for a year + on this when it initially developed in the mid-90's with zero improvement. If strengthening or stretching was the cure, I'd have this licked decades ago. Now I'm doing calf and soleus strengthening via therapeutic band and eccentric calf raises on stair step.
I'm always skeptical of PT plans. During my full time personal training days a lot of the clients that ended up with me were people that PT was not successful with and it was the same thing over and over again. They often focus too much on the problem area, neglecting areas around that problem area, which then causes other problems or over stressing the same problem area. If you've been doing PT for that long and are still not successful I'd try a full body routine instead - low weight/high rep w/limited rest and body weight exercises. What and how often? That's more difficult to judge through the inturwebz.

Just thought I'd throw out an experience I had this summer. Came down with Lyme disease around the Fourth of July (got it in New York) but didn't know it, my endurance nosedived from me being able to run practically forever to being barely able to run a mile without crapping out from fatigue. And I lost quite a bit of weight not to mention the muscle and joint pain. I thought I was getting old (48) and was relieved it was Lyme disease, at least that's fixable. Started the antibiotics around beginning of September and it seemed to kill the bug immediately, perhaps that has something to do with my circulation which is good from all the previous running. Lyme disease is a spirochete bacteria that drills into places and is tough to kill thats why I think good circulation is a positive, maybe I am off base but I think being in somewhat decent shape helped my recovery. Can really feel my endurance coming back strong, every run is a big improvement in speed and time, today I ran 3.5 miles today at a 7:30 mile pace. Probably could have run anothr mile but I am slowly ramping up to avoid injury. In another month I expect to be back to pre-July form.

Juxtatarot said:
gruecd said:
BTW, I'm all signed up for the 10-mile trail race on the 8th. Juxt and tri-man....get 'er done.
OK, I'm now signed up and paid.
Me too! I actually know this course quite well ...I've done a couple of Earth Day races there. They have a rather challenging 5 mile loop, so it'll probably be a two-loop course for the 10-miler. A lot of up and down, some of it short and steep ...a mix of constantly changing trail types from some single track to wider paths to open fields to a bit of paved surfaces.

Brony said:
worrierking said:
They just don't know. It's not compartment syndrome, which is frustrating. I don't regret doing the surgery - I had tried everything up til the point and the continuation of my woes confirms that there is something off in my upper calf, so why not try surgery. I've had no other complications or residual effects from the surgery. If the surgeon guru in my area wasn't retiring end of last year, I would not have done the surgery when I had it done, but would have still considered it this year. Trying something different is better than doing the exact same things and expecting different results IMO.
You know, this is just complete "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express' spitballing, but Joe Dombrowski suffered from something similar and it was a blood supply issue. Have you had studies done to see if this has something to do with it?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/news/dombrowski-surgery-leg-artery-looks-future_340064

That course sounds like fun, tri-man. I'm looking forward to running it with you guys. You'll get to meet my better half and the new puppy, too!

This weekend? Fall 50. And we want to win it. We've got a couple 15-minute 5K guys, so we'll see. I might be the slowest guy on the team:

Did I mention that marathon training is kinda difficult? So, I run my half Sunday and then straight back to work this week. A 2 day Monday for a total of 10 miles, 11 miles yesterday with 6 x 1200 and then 14 miles this morning. And yeah, I've got a 20 miler scheduled for Sunday too. :weary:

Brony said:
worrierking said:
You know, this is just complete "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express' spitballing, but Joe Dombrowski suffered from something similar and it was a blood supply issue. Have you had studies done to see if this has something to do with it?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/news/dombrowski-surgery-leg-artery-looks-future_340064
Thanks for the thoughts. Yep, I got checked out for Popliteal Artery Entrapment Syndrome last year as part of the compartment syndrome eval. I don't have that. hooray?!?

Did I mention that marathon training is kinda difficult? So, I run my half Sunday and then straight back to work this week. A 2 day Monday for a total of 10 miles, 11 miles yesterday with 6 x 1200 and then 14 miles this morning. And yeah, I've got a 20 miler scheduled for Sunday too. :weary:
I don't think a half marathon is on your Pfitz schedule, right? I don't think there would be anything wrong with easing the week a bit. Honestly, I couldn't and wouldn't do a 6 x 1200 workout 3 days after a half. I've learned that my body needs more rest for/after the hard stuff. Props to you for gutting this out! :thumbup:

I don't think a half marathon is on your Pfitz schedule, right? I don't think there would be anything wrong with easing the week a bit. Honestly, I couldn't and wouldn't do a 6 x 1200 workout 3 days after a half. I've learned that my body needs more rest for/after the hard stuff. Props to you for gutting this out! :thumbup:
There was nice spot for that half on my schedule 2 weeks ago when the race was originally planned. So I had to shift last week around and then my half proceeded my last big week. I just figure I need to follow the plan the best I can at this point.

The timing for my half wasn't ideal for my schedule but it was ideal for performance. Had it been when it was supposed to be, I doubt I'd have had any chance at a PR. Mentally, I'd be in a whole different place today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run

Honestly, I think this was the most well-executed part of my race. One of my goals coming in was to run a sub-4:00 marathon. This is an out-and-back 13ish mile course that you do twice, and is super-flat. I think you go under a bridge right in front of the University of Louisville, but thats the extent of the elevation gain, and its like 10 feet. Aid stations were well stocked and supported, although the crowds got a bit sparse outside of the first couple of miles. Finished in 3:58:29, for a total race time of 11:17 (Chattanooga was 10:55, Florida 12:23).
I don't think it can be overstated how good of a run this is. That's an incredible effort there.
Thanks, appreciate the kind words. It's certainly not Steve-level racing, but 130 miles and 8-9 hours in, a monster effort for me.

Wow, had to dig to page 4 to find the thread, race season must be wrapping up. I know Grue was out doing the Fall 50, looking forward to hearing more about that! Anything else going on this weekend?

I'm not back to "training" but feeling pretty much recovered from my last 50 miler 2 weeks ago. When I was in town this week (was in So Cal for 3 days mid-week) I got in some good time on the trails. I got caught up with family time and errands yesterday, so I just squeezed in a quick afternoon hike up a steep local hill called Little Mountain - 1 mile up 700' with some really steep sections that I hiked hard, then coming back down it's like a leg workout with all the eccentric contractions in the quads. I followed that up with a 10+ miler this morning up Mt. Burdell, more gradual but up over 1,500' and then back down. I could feel yesterday's hike in my quads and hips both going up and coming back down today, so I feel like it was a pretty effective training effect getting in that climbing today on essentially tired legs, even on little volume. Interesting, and I think I'll work that combo in more often going forward.

Pretty sweet view of the Bay Area from up there this morning. Mt. Tam poking up on the right, the Bay on the left with The City and Bay Bridge visible in person but sort of hidden in the pic by the fog.

Finished the Marine Corps Marathon today. First marathon ever. It was awesome, inspirational, emotional, painful, all of the above. I'll write more later, but mostly wanted to say thanks to all of you in this thread. You are such a great source of advice, motivation, guidance.....and you name the rest. I'm not sure whether or not I'll ever do a full again....but it was so worth doing it today.

For those who care, my time was around 5:04. I had major knee and hamstring issues starting around mile 16, and was at the pinnacle of suffering a major cold. Really annoying, as my 20-mile run three weeks ago went so much better than today. But it is what it is. Just glad to have finished, and to feel relatively healthy.

I can see why people have so many great things to say about MCM. Lots of cool aspects to it. More later. Thanks again guys - I'm not very active in this thread but I read it A LOT.

Users who are viewing this thread