What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Update: Team @Otis is locked and loaded and ready to compete with you dorks. While you guys are drafting 40 times and complaining about not having your adoring fans on the sidelines cheering you on, we've begun posting status updates in the real fitness thread, including a couple motivational training videos.  
My training tonight included 3 scoops of ice cream.  Carb loading.  #otisstrong

Let me put it this way... I can stay married, or I can go running this week.
🤔 Tough decisions

Thankfully my wife is getting more into running (not enough to do a race yet but maybe someday) and doesn't seem to mind my running at all.

She's far less in favor of me cycling during the week when there's still some traffic. (Early on weekends is okay)

Q

tri-man 47 said:
If each team has a DNF, then they'll cancel out (even if the time estimates differed).  If one team comes up short due to a DNF, then we could replace it with a doubling of the slowest time. Or since we're using average time, do we just exclude the DNF from the team average?  That could help, or that could hurt.  Team captains, what say ye?

Yes.

K.I.S.S.
So the best way for me to help whatever team I’m on is to not train and dnf 3 times?

bostonfred said:
Update: Team @Otis is locked and loaded and ready to compete with you dorks. While you guys are drafting 40 times and complaining about not having your adoring fans on the sidelines cheering you on, we've begun posting status updates in the real fitness thread, including a couple motivational training videos.  
:coffee:       :yawn:

Indeed.

It will be interesting when we come out of the home quarantine stuff. With more people eating at home, cholesterol levels nationwide are sure to go down, and it will be interesting to see if Americans overall health improves.

The converse of that though, is if these quarantines lead to extreme overeating as a coping and boredom mechanism.
The average American is a fat, lazy, excuse maker. They don't really want to get in better shape. They say they do. And they temporarily decide to for brief periods of time. But actions always speak louder than words.

We will come out of this fatter followed by a brief period of healthy decisions then we will go right back to where we were before. 

The average American is a fat, lazy, excuse maker. They don't really want to get in better shape. They say they do. And they temporarily decide to for brief periods of time. But actions always speak louder than words.

We will come out of this fatter followed by a brief period of healthy decisions then we will go right back to where we were before. 
Negative Nancy. Jeez.

It’s a valid point that MAC raises.  I wonder how much our obesity rates increase during this lockdown phase.
I worry, too, about mental health issues.   We've seen the challenges some of the folks here face (in the open sharing in the suicide thread and concerns expressed in the COVID thread).  At least we're coming out of the (literally) dark days of winter.  But it's still a concern.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwiw, dear 10k friends...

Wife and I were previously fighting about how I'm not listening to, or seemingly (to her) second guessing her concerns about this thing. 

We're in the middle of NYC. No way to avoid people, even with Cuomo's edict. NYC has become the center of this thing, according to numbers and talking heads.

Given all of that- not going running for a week isn't much in the grand scheme of things... Patch things with the wife (who wants us all to stay inside unless absolutely necessary) and try to stay alive. Both seem pretty straight forward decisions

Fwiw, dear 10k friends...

Wife and I were previously fighting about how I'm not listening to, or seemingly (to her) second guessing her concerns about this thing. 

We're in the middle of NYC. No way to avoid people, even with Cuomo's edict. NYC has become the center of this thing, according to numbers and talking heads.

Given all of that- not going running for a week isn't much in the grand scheme of things... Patch things with the wife (who wants us all to stay inside unless absolutely necessary) and try to stay alive. Both seem pretty straight forward decisions
Are you OK with our race series, or will that only add stress for you ..and the two of you?  A goal of the race series is to help relieve some of the covid stress, not create more!

Jesus, you people are fast.  It’s embarrassing enough knowing the speed gap between tri-man and me (inverse correlation to our age differential).  But this is good motivation.

5k:  27:00

10k:  55:30

1 mile:  7:30

I’ve done so little running the past 9 months....the above is a swag.  Really need to get my training going ASAP.
Ok, based on the run I just did (first timed run since July 2019), i was sandbagging with the numbers above.

5K:  26:00

10k:  54:00

1 mile:  7:15

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you OK with our race series, or will that only add stress for you ..and the two of you?  A goal of the race series is to help relieve some of the covid stress, not create more!
Thanks gb. I'll see where I/we are at at the end of the week.

I definitely want to get out there and run.

We're debating bugging out to the MD shore next weekend...far less population dense and safer for running IMO.

Thanks gb. I'll see where I/we are at at the end of the week.

I definitely want to get out there and run.

We're debating bugging out to the MD shore next weekend...far less population dense and safer for running IMO.
If you do feel forced to pull out after the upcoming draft: If you're on @gruecd's team, he could talk mrs. grue into running again.  For @Juxtatarot, he could ask his running mom.   :D   (Or they get Osaurus or Fred_ or Eagan or somebody.)

Isn’t that how it’s getting spread? Everyone leaving NYC for their vacation homes?
Not quite. But I get your point

We've been bunkering down to see if we end up symptomatic. If by next weekend we're not, that will have been a couple weeks of self quarantine to protect the spread on our end. Plus, we'll be staying in a house down there, not hanging out on the boardwalk...going full body condom for any trips to stores, but maintaining ordering everything delivered if at all possible. Just relocating to get out of the hot zone and get more square footage. Given what I've seen here where it's almost impossible to maintain 6', down there it should be incredibly easy (for runs)

Wait, you had to put together a shovel?

You get one made out of Lego’s?
It was ridiculous, the blade wasn’t attached to the handle. I guess it was that way to ship in a smaller box. The screw to hold the blade in place was buried into the handle, so much that I couldn’t get it out with a flathead screwdriver. I had to ratchet it out, wtf. The good news is that it never snowed here so I never got to use it.

Unless I’m missing something, we can calculate the winners through averages rather than total time.  If we end up with a different number on each team, no biggie.
Team Jux - 5 k average 22:00

Team Gru - 5 k average 21:58 with Bass left to run

Coach Gru to Bass - I think your hammy has been acting up, you're a valuable member of the team so it might be best if you give it a rest and dnf.

It was ridiculous, the blade wasn’t attached to the handle. I guess it was that way to ship in a smaller box. The screw to hold the blade in place was buried into the handle, so much that I couldn’t get it out with a flathead screwdriver. I had to ratchet it out, wtf. The good news is that it never snowed here so I never got to use it.
Ohhhh, look at me!  It doesn’t snow where I’m at!

😡

Duck...

The Marin County Sheriff’s office shut down access to the Mount Tamalpais Watershed “due to the astronomical amount of people NOT practicing social distancing and home sheltering.” Authorities there said there was back-to-back traffic to coastal attractions and parking lots to beaches were full.

Yup, all the outdoor public spaces like Tam, Stinson, Bon Tempe/Lagunitas Lakes were overflowing with people yesterday.  I get it, but if I rolled up to a trail head or beach parking lot and it was full I’d be going somewhere else.  

My mom went to meet her older sister at blackie's pasture in Tiburon to do a little walk. She said the parking lot, paths and bike lane were overflowing, so thankfully they bailed.

The East River Park near me was similarly way too crowded with people walking, biking and jogging.

My draft stock may quickly be dropping. Haven't left the apartment in three days and yesterday the majority of my diet consisted of baguette and gummy bears, with a side of old fashioned.

Users who are viewing this thread