What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

ok if I freak out around 9k and then walk the rest of the way, whine about it in here, and then have gian boost me back up to target number?

all on mapmymuthaflunkinrun.

tia.
Are you still going to be south for the 10K?  If so, you might be in a good spot for a favorable route.  I think it'll be hard for most folks to game elevation over 10K, but you might be able to find a straight, flat road with a consistent tailwind.

Disgusting.  On a trail, too, so no sidewalk issues.  I'm extremely jealous.  Too many rolling hills around me for anything like that.

Oh, almost forgot...

44:59
:lmao:

Unfortunately, it does have a few street crossings and they are almost impossible to do during any normal time without having to stop.  I also don't know how busy it will be as it's an oft traveled path.  However, the plan is to go out there really early to avoid all of that.  Not my normal, but we'll make it work.

Am I the only one who's going to run a flat course (just like my 5K)?!?  Do I get some kind of time credit for that?
I don't have 10 KMs downhill anywhere nearby.  I'll just try to find something out of the wind without large elevation changes.

I would have thought you were too young for Frogger.
I got in the very back end of the arcade window. Been some nice nostalgia with the recent re-birth of them.

And I one-upped my SSE wind with a W one. Just need to convince the family to go for a drive that day so I don't have to jog back up.

I have no flats anywhere except the track.  Im choosing between the track and this one section of road that is prolly less than 100' of elevation in a single direction.

Cant we just use avg gap pace?

I played around with routes for about an hour one day.  The only one that gives me a fighting chance my wife will have to pick me up 82 minutes after I start. 

Am I the only one who's going to run a flat course (just like my 5K)?!?  Do I get some kind of time credit for that?
Man, I was thinking the same thing after the 5k. Watching the times roll in, kept thinking “how could I possibly find a course with this much downhill within 30 min of my house?”  Instead I just ran a boring, flat course.

Alex P Keaton said:
Man, I was thinking the same thing after the 5k. Watching the times roll in, kept thinking “how could I possibly find a course with this much downhill within 30 min of my house?”  Instead I just ran a boring, flat course.
I actually had some reasonable options for the 5k, but as the new guy I didn't want to dabble in anything too ridiculous, so I just went on the track.  Then I saw what some people found and realized no one would have batted an eye at my ~20ft/mile elevation drop course. 

Finding a good 10K course is just tough around me - I live in a valley, and anything that gets near the mountains has no shoulder and blind curves, and I'm in a dense enough area that road crossings are plentiful too.  I think my 10K will be a relatively fair course.

For one mile, on the other hand, I have a lot of decent options near me.  I think I can find net downhill and safe for just about every wind direction for the mile race.

Zasada said:
 Course I plan to run is basically flat and a bit looping so wind will be both with and against me at times.

Dr_Zaius said:
Are you still going to be south for the 10K?  If so, you might be in a good spot for a favorable route.  I think it'll be hard for most folks to game elevation over 10K, but you might be able to find a straight, flat road with a consistent tailwind.
Meaning: @El Floppo, you were directionally challenged for your 5K, and we worry you'll end up in the Atlantic Ocean or Hudson River, depending where you're residing next week (is it next week?  I forget).  So pick a straight course with no turns.

--

@JAA and @Dr_Zaius - I'd suggest using the track, since you have access.  The track surface has the same pace-reducing effect as a downhill course.  You just need to mentally prep for it.  As I've mentioned, start in the outside lane and work your way in.  This breaks it down into three identifiable segments, and that's manageable. You'll actually pick up the .2 in the process.  It's a good feeling, for example, to have mile 2 buzz in before you've finished the first 8-lap circuit.  #winning  #TeamJuxt   

Meaning: @El Floppo, you were directionally challenged for your 5K, and we worry you'll end up in the Atlantic Ocean or Hudson River, depending where you're residing next week (is it next week?  I forget).  So pick a straight course with no turns.

--

@JAA and @Dr_Zaius - I'd suggest using the track, since you have access.  The track surface has the same pace-reducing effect as a downhill course.  You just need to mentally prep for it.  As I've mentioned, start in the outside lane and work your way in.  This breaks it down into three identifiable segments, and that's manageable. You'll actually pick up the .2 in the process.  It's a good feeling, for example, to have mile 2 buzz in before you've finished the first 8-lap circuit.  #winning  #TeamJuxt   
25 laps on a track sounds grueling, imo. I think I did 4 laps around the high school track on Saturday during my HM excursion and that was about enough. 

Dr_Zaius said:

--

Lol...yeah.

5k was a mess. New stoopit app. New location. No training. Anti-NY phobia.

I'm not sure where I'll be tbh, either still in MD or back in NYC. At this point, I have the app and locations just fine either way. And the neighbors in MD pretend to like us at least, so no visible antiNY issues. Plus I've been running again, so it'll just be a matter of hitting the time, which will be a push.

Will be better to do this in MD where theres less people...but I'll make it work either way. 

If there are any Boston 2021 guys here, I found a super cheap hotel.  However it is a prepay so if you aren't going, you are risky one night and tax ($163 I think).

Moxy hotel -- Tremont Street.  Looks like 0.7 miles from finish.  0.1-0.2 miles from start.  Its a small room so you need to be alone or with your lady friend who you can share a Queen bed with.  But $129/night (plus tax) is the lowest I've ever seen for marathon weekend or anytime in Boston for that matter.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I might.  I also have a room over by the finish but hard to pass on a rate like that. 

You can access it through Marriott.com.

So, yeah, I worry about the education sector a lot.  For higher ed: Will the loss of jobs and income hits cause more students to defer starting college or to start at community colleges?  Will students stay close to home so they can commute (which could play to my school's favor as the first near-west suburb of Chicago)?  And as everywhere, what do we do if even a single case pops up?  When the first student of ours was tested in early March(ultimately negative), I immediately received emails from students in my classes who were fearful of coming to campus.  Without testing, tracing, and treatment, I don't see that scenario changing. @SteelCurtain, are your effects magnified because of a potential New York stigma?  My school is putting on a good face for now, but that's the nature of our very long-time president.  And just to say, I've been just fine teaching in an on-line format.  As I've seen through the years, I get more interaction from on-line discussion topics than I get in the classroom, where everyone sits quietly because I'm the so-call expert up front.

For pre-schools, elementary, middle schools, and high schools ...yeesh.  What will happen?  They have more close-knit interactions than we do at the college level.  You can't spread out students in already-full classrooms and lunch rooms.  How do parents make the impossible choice in the fall if schools are open?  Keeping children home sets them back, but how do parents dare send their students to school without the 3Ts being widespread?
I've been meaning to respond to this.  I think higher ed is going to radically change due to COVID.  In the past, schools were trying to keep up with the Joneses.  Everyone was building the nicest labs, dining hall, residence halls, athletic facilities, etc. because you were at a competitive disadvantage if you didn't.  Some schools are leveraged pretty bad and don't have lots of financial flexibility. 

Some schools have really large endowments but much of that money is restricted for use, so it can't be used for what the institution needs.  In addition, many of those schools rely on the endowment to help fund operations (i.e., they use 3-5% of their endowment to pay for operating expenses).  Problem is, when the endowment goes down 10-20%, then their money gleaned from endowment for operations will also go down 10-20%.

There are fewer students (demographically) going off to college before COVID.  Families were increasingly price conscious before COVID so fewer families were willing to pay what the schools were offering.  Colleges were discounting their tuition more and more as a way to entice students.  Now that COVID has hit, there is even less demand (students now thinking they will take a gap year), potential loss of all or a large number of international students, economy has taken a hit -- therefore families are even less likely to pay tuition prices, colleges are desperate so discounting even more than ever before.  Families questioning whether they should pay a premium for the potential of online learning.  Colleges dealing with the possibility of not opening and not realizing residence hall and dining hall revenue (which both help pay debt service, operations, etc.)  Colleges now needing to make changes due to COVID that costs money (smaller classes, additional technology infrastructure, limited space in residence halls (can't triple up kids), big time college football is very much in doubt for the fall (cash cow at some places), etc. 

Public institutions are already hearing about massive cuts to state aid to those institutions so expect fewer services (career, counseling, advising, etc.), antiquated labs/technology/etc, and larger classes.

We are looking at a perfect storm of financial devastation at colleges. Eventually, colleges will close.  Others will lay off/furlough tons of faculty/staff which in some small towns could be devastating if the college is the biggest employer in town.

We are seeing students across the country indicate they are more likely to stay close to home, however, certainly we have seen some students from California, Hawaii, Washington, Texas, Florida tell us they don't want to go to NY because of COVID.

@tri-man 47 - certainly some classes and faculty have made a seamless move to online.  However, others have really struggled.  Its almost impossible to replicate a science lab online.  And some faculty are just not as innovative with technology as others.  Finally, at many schools, the education happens both in the classroom but also through other experiences (living in the residence hall, study abroad, internships, etc) and the online experience will dilute that for students.

As for elementary schools, I have no idea what they will do.  I know some have looked at flex scheduling so kids are online some days and in school other days, therefore the elementary school only has 50% capacity at a time.  But then what do parents who both work do?   There are no easy answers. I'm glad I don't have to figure that problem out!

There are fewer students (demographically) going off to college before COVID.  Families were increasingly price conscious before COVID so fewer families were willing to pay what the schools were offering. 
Great posting - want to respond specifically to this part though. So many decision makers in the industry have been conducting themselves as if this hasn't been reality for years. Anyone wondering why higher ed has become so expensive - most aren't pocketing your money; they're spending beyond their means because they think they have to (keeping up with the Joneses, as you said). Much to the dismay of many we have really tightened the screws over the last few years - it'd have been sooner but our influence wasn't effective with the old guard. Doing so has made attracting new students more challenging, but I think we are in a better position to tackle this behemoth because we have been so restrictive on operations spending in recent years. We aren't looking at our forecasted spending asking ourselves how the hell we are going to fund it.  I mean, we are, our revenue streams will take a hit - but it's all relative. 

That's why I think we're gonna see a wave of closing's rather soon. Institutions that were already struggling with enrollment and don't have financial flexibility. Their death is inevitable - and like you said, some of the community's those schools support are going to be destroyed. Those that are one or the other? The ones that aren't in the red, but are certainly in the orange (hi). They have some time - not much time, but - some. Competing schools closing will put their students (current and future) on the market. Some will sit this year out, some will chose a more economically viable option this year, and others will be shopping. So that pool of schools currently in the orange? The ones that successfully adapt to this rapidly changing environment will likely survive. And those that don't will go under in the next wave.

Gonna be a wild 15 months - we'll see if I come out the other side still employed. Hoping the same for you and @tri-man 47  :thumbup:

Someone in here posted something about being able to sustain a 5K pace at a pace you can run either 800 or 1600m repeats a couple weeks ago, I think.  Does anyone remember who it was or what it was so I don't have to go back and search through like 50 pages.

I'm back in NYC for the day to get mail and check on the apartment. Hadn't planned to, but went on my usual short run today along the East River under a couple bridges. It was nice to be home. Still too many people out, and still too many people out without masks. Pulled out my balaclava, which I'm face palming not using sooner.

Great posting - want to respond specifically to this part though. So many decision makers in the industry have been conducting themselves as if this hasn't been reality for years. Anyone wondering why higher ed has become so expensive - most aren't pocketing your money; they're spending beyond their means because they think they have to (keeping up with the Joneses, as you said). Much to the dismay of many we have really tightened the screws over the last few years - it'd have been sooner but our influence wasn't effective with the old guard. Doing so has made attracting new students more challenging, but I think we are in a better position to tackle this behemoth because we have been so restrictive on operations spending in recent years. We aren't looking at our forecasted spending asking ourselves how the hell we are going to fund it.  I mean, we are, our revenue streams will take a hit - but it's all relative. 

That's why I think we're gonna see a wave of closing's rather soon. Institutions that were already struggling with enrollment and don't have financial flexibility. Their death is inevitable - and like you said, some of the community's those schools support are going to be destroyed. Those that are one or the other? The ones that aren't in the red, but are certainly in the orange (hi). They have some time - not much time, but - some. Competing schools closing will put their students (current and future) on the market. Some will sit this year out, some will chose a more economically viable option this year, and others will be shopping. So that pool of schools currently in the orange? The ones that successfully adapt to this rapidly changing environment will likely survive. And those that don't will go under in the next wave.

Gonna be a wild 15 months - we'll see if I come out the other side still employed. Hoping the same for you and @tri-man 47  :thumbup:
Much is often in the media about how much colleges cost.  However, the reality, colleges are discounting (through scholarships and grants) more than ever before. So net tuition revenue isn't increasing although the media doesn't often mention that.

There are research studies that show that some families assume the higher the cost....the better the school.  There are also those who think if an expensive school gives them a scholarship, they must want the kid more than a lower cost school that doesn't.....EVEN IF THE NET COST IS THE SAME! 

The next two years will likely cause schools to close.  Hopefully after that happens, the decreased supply will allow the industry to stabilize and match the decreasing number of HS students nationally through 2030.

OK....back to running.  I don't dare post this in the thread about getting into college.  Ha ha.

Someone in here posted something about being able to sustain a 5K pace at a pace you can run either 800 or 1600m repeats a couple weeks ago, I think.  Does anyone remember who it was or what it was so I don't have to go back and search through like 50 pages.
I think @xulf mentioned it in regards to a 5x1K workout.
When I read it I kind of laughed.  5x1k is .... 5k.  Maybe I am missing something.

When I read it I kind of laughed.  5x1k is .... 5k.  Maybe I am missing something.
Rest breaks between each interval? 

If I run 13 x 400 repeats, I can definitely run those faster than I can run a full 5K even though 13x400 =5.2K.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA

If I run 13 x 400 repeats, I can definitely run those faster than I can run a full 5K even though 13x400 =5.2K.
Maybe its how I think about rest intervals.    My rest intervals are always recovery intervals, not sitting down on the ground.  If I ran a 5x1k interval workout I would prolly have a 400 recovery interval.  With warmup and cooldown that would put my workout at 800m + 5k (5*1k) + 2k (5*400m) + 800m = 8.6k ~ 5.3mi.

I can guarantee you that whatever I was running those 1k intervals at I could do a 5k at.  Not to mention, my interval sessions are on day 5 of my 6 day workout week.  Im beat by that point which means I'm not pushing anything due to a fear of injury.

For example, here is my final prep session, 2 weeks before our 5k: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4732906447

If you look at the laps tab in the bottom section, you can see I was running 400on/400off.  I ran like 7 total intervals with 1 interval at a faster pace than my 5k and 1 at about the pace of my 5k (not intentionally).  All other intervals were run well below my resulting 5k pace.  I did track to my HR during this running as its what I use as a guide when increasing intensity.

What Im learning that works for me is that practice intensity, ie not racing intensity, should be relatively low.  Increase volume and keep all sessions in an aerobic zone, out of the anaerobic zone.  I have 1 interval session per week which I would consider tempo to high intensity.  Everything else is low.  My body is tired but not aerobically depleted.  Its clear to me that I was way over training last year.  Way to much intensity.  I feel so much better with these longer, lower intensity, weeks.

:2cents:

What @bushdocda posted is where I originally got that information. 

I didn't do that full workout plan for the 5K, but did a 5 x 800 then a 5 x 1000.  I was dying after each of the intervals but made it through them.  I did not think there was any way in hell I was going to be able to do the full 5K at my pace.

The downhill certainly helped the situation (offset some by it being a solo time trial) and a week of tapering did some wonders too.

ETA - here is my 5x1000 workout https://www.strava.com/activities/3271090361/laps -- I did a 800 recovery in between each.

ETA2 - looks like I misunderstood what @JAA was saying

Last edited by a moderator:
Much is often in the media about how much colleges cost.  However, the reality, colleges are discounting (through scholarships and grants) more than ever before. So net tuition revenue isn't increasing although the media doesn't often mention that.

There are research studies that show that some families assume the higher the cost....the better the school.  There are also those who think if an expensive school gives them a scholarship, they must want the kid more than a lower cost school that doesn't.....EVEN IF THE NET COST IS THE SAME! 

The next two years will likely cause schools to close.  Hopefully after that happens, the decreased supply will allow the industry to stabilize and match the decreasing number of HS students nationally through 2030.

OK....back to running.  I don't dare post this in the thread about getting into college.  Ha ha.
Going to be a tricky time for my daughter, currently a Junior in high school.  She's more likely to want to go to a smaller school than a state school, and now we'll have to try and figure in financial strength of the college to try and avoid having her go somewhere that may close in a year or two.  Not sure how to go about doing that (yet).

Going to be a tricky time for my daughter, currently a Junior in high school.  She's more likely to want to go to a smaller school than a state school, and now we'll have to try and figure in financial strength of the college to try and avoid having her go somewhere that may close in a year or two.  Not sure how to go about doing that (yet).
I would google "Moody rating <<COLLEGE NAME>>" and "Fitch Rating <<COLLEGE NAME>>"

You will also want to google the rating scales for each of these to get a greater understanding.

Its sort of like the credit score of the institution. 

@MAC_32 - I think this is your wheelhouse.  Short of navigating 990 forms, I think the above is the most realistic way for a non-accountant to figure out financial strength.  Your thoughts?

Responding to Gian earlier made me go back and reread the archived beginning of this thread. Back when duck was learning to run and getting ready for his very first race (12k)......
Here we are a dozen years later and I still don't know how to run......
I meant this as a joke, but it's kind of true.  Years of only running trails, where the terrain set my pace (hike the ups, run the downs, very few flats), now that I find myself running flat roads I have no idea how to find and settle into a pace.  With today's run I was trying to keep my HR in the 130s, but I wasn't able to find a pace that would keep me there (probably 10:00-10:30ish based on my currently poor aerobic shape).  I'd look down at my watch and I'd be going 9:15, and the HR would be in the 140s.  I'd try to slow down the pace but the HR wouldn't come down, so I'd walk for a bit.  Rinse, repeat.  For some reason, just can't seem to settle into a 10:30 pace.

I would google "Moody rating <<COLLEGE NAME>>" and "Fitch Rating <<COLLEGE NAME>>"

You will also want to google the rating scales for each of these to get a greater understanding.

Its sort of like the credit score of the institution. 

@MAC_32 - I think this is your wheelhouse.  Short of navigating 990 forms, I think the above is the most realistic way for a non-accountant to figure out financial strength.  Your thoughts?
That's the most efficient method. That exercise will work well in a POE approach. Start off with a list that is probably way too long then cross names off below a certain thresh hold. If one of them is particularly high with your daughter because they have a niche that fits then un-cross it, but approach potential enrollment guardedly. 

Additionally, monitor what the gov't does with regards to funding. Not just the feds (i.e. CARES and HEERF), but if she's looking outside California what are those particular states doing with funding for education. They're all cutting, but how much? The margins at small schools may not be big, but the cost to run them isn't either - relatively speaking anyway. A couple mil to Cal-Berkley is a wet fart, but the funding from these programs will be the difference between open and closed for some on the small end.

What @bushdocda posted is where I originally got that information. 

I didn't do that full workout plan for the 5K, but did a 5 x 800 then a 5 x 1000.  I was dying after each of the intervals but made it through them.  I did not think there was any way in hell I was going to be able to do the full 5K at my pace and thought what you thought @JAA -- I'm breaking up 5K into 5 intervals, WTF????? no way will that work. 

The downhill certainly helped the situation (offset some by it being a solo time trial) and a week of tapering did some wonders too.
I started following that guidance before the virus when I was targeting an April 5k PR. It blew my doors off (and calf) in about think 3 weeks/workouts. I was running the intervals too fast too soon too out of shape - really want to try it again more informed and more responsibly at some point. 

I'm back in NYC for the day to get mail and check on the apartment. Hadn't planned to, but went on my usual short run today along the East River under a couple bridges. It was nice to be home. Still too many people out, and still too many people out without masks. Pulled out my balaclava, which I'm face palming not using sooner.
Big fan of baklava, but never thought about running with some. 

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
FYI, regarding the murder of runner Ahmaud Arbery while running:

His former coach is "asking supporters to honor Arbery by going for a run of 2.23 miles, representing the date of his death on Friday, which would have been his birthday. He asks that runners document their run and post it to social media under the hashtag #IRunWithMaud."

FYI, regarding the murder of runner Ahmaud Arbery while running:

His former coach is "asking supporters to honor Arbery by going for a run of 2.23 miles, representing the date of his death on Friday, which would have been his birthday. He asks that runners document their run and post it to social media under the hashtag #IRunWithMaud."
So sad. Really puts in perspective how fortunate we are to be able to do what we love without being judged because of our skin color. Sad that people of color can’t do the same. Couldn’t imagine my wife or parents receiving a phone call that I got gunned down while exercising. 

Users who are viewing this thread