What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

FYI, regarding the murder of runner Ahmaud Arbery while running:

His former coach is "asking supporters to honor Arbery by going for a run of 2.23 miles, representing the date of his death on Friday, which would have been his birthday. He asks that runners document their run and post it to social media under the hashtag #IRunWithMaud."
#IRunWithMaud

Wanted to do an out and back 2x #IRunWithMaud...which I did. I had planned on mile intervals, but at .7 into my first one (where I was in the high 6s), the same hamstring twinged again, so I shut things back down to no pain comfortable 8:30-40s.

Having doubts about pushing things for the 10k. I'll run easy the rest of the way until then, but might have to fall back on a training run for the official number if it doesn't feel like I can push next weekend.

Extra grateful run this morning.  

Been quiet in here this week with folks searching for 6+ miles ski slopes in their neighborhood they’ve overlooked. 
I reconned a route yesterday that looked promising but has a bit too much roll for the upcoming effort. Will be a sweet new route though, will probably try over the weekend once the wind blows through tomorrow. I think my race route is going to require a water drop at end and a wife pickup to get me back to start/car. 

I think my race route is going to require a water drop at end and a wife pickup to get me back to start/car. 
Yeah, I have to do this too. My neighborhood is so up and down I can only find one decent route. Haven't told the wife yet about the pick up. 

The only other option is to turn around and run back uphill for 7 miles as a cool down. 

Weather forecast looks like #### for the 10K.  Coolest mornings will be 72F and thunderstorms forecast all weekend.

Got lucky with the weather for my 5K, this appears to be payback.

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
Yeah, I have to do this too. My neighborhood is so up and down I can only find one decent route. Haven't told the wife yet about the pick up. 

The only other option is to turn around and run back uphill for 7 miles as a cool down. 
Park in the middle, walk a mile and then jog 2 miles to the start as your warm-up, and then do a 3-mile cool down back to the car?

I went a little overboard the last few days. I was sick of dealing with other nature the last week of April and now we're getting the polar vortex for the next 36 hours, so I ended up doing way too much quality the last 6 days.

Sat - 5 mile tempo (9 total for the day), wanted to see how long I could hold a sub 6 minute pace running solo. The first mile wasn't, but it was uphill into the wind. Held on for the last 4 though. That last 10 minutes of next week's 10K is gonna be painful.

Sun - 80 minute run - a not comfortable 11, I did over an hour of yard work Saturday then had too many bourbon shandy's Saturday night followed by more yard work today. I hurt.

Mon - 6 easy and strength training

Tue - 7 mi with a 30 second pick up/strde at the beginning of each mile

Wed - pressed for time, so I found a couple steep hills in the woods and powered up (and down!) those things 4 times and whatever else lied around them.

Thu - strength training then 2x5K (18:07/18:46), yes it was down wind (25 mph) but it wasn't cool (mid 60's) the sun was hot and while I have some nice west wind down hill options within driving distance I chose not to add that time to the day yesterday - my second one was actually a net uphill (oops).

---

I planned to do one more 80 min run, but - polar vortex. So, now - taper time. But of course the cold pattern we've been stuck in for a month plus is scheduled to break the day before our 10K racing window opens.  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather will shift, but right now Friday, Saturday and Sunday have thunderstorms in the morning, 80s later. 

Might have to do this Thursday morning just to avoid the ####

. But of course the cold pattern we've been stuck in for a month plus is scheduled to break the day before our 10K racing window opens.  :lol:
It's ####ty, the temp for the next ten days looks like a crappy, rolling uphill race course. From 59°/37° to 81°/62°

It's ####ty, the temp for the next ten days looks like a crappy, rolling uphill race course. From 59°/37° to 81°/62°
Positive spin, based on the nation wide map our locals put up yesterday it's gonna be that way for all of us. That cold pattern that's been hitting the upper MW and NE since early April's getting lifted middle next week. Then it'll be warm for all of us. I'm not reading into wind and precipitation forecasts this far out (no one has any idea), but temp's have relatively strong predictability rates in those 10-14 day windows. So I'm preparing to be forced to morning.

Positive spin, based on the nation wide map our locals put up yesterday it's gonna be that way for all of us. That cold pattern that's been hitting the upper MW and NE since early April's getting lifted middle next week. Then it'll be warm for all of us. I'm not reading into wind and precipitation forecasts this far out (no one has any idea), but temp's have relatively strong predictability rates in those 10-14 day windows. So I'm preparing to be forced to morning.
Yeah, it will change anyway. 

"Winds S 10-15 mph"  

Thankfully I have an almost entirely southern bound route i wanted to do. 🤔🥺

Looking for some advice here.  I've been experiencing knee pain at around the point where I hit 3-4 miles.  It happens almost every time and it alternates between knees (which seems odd).  Thoughts on trying more interval long runs?  For example, I would start by running 4 minutes, then walk 1 minute, rinse and repeat for as long as I can go.  I'm also thinking of going back to a more flat, dirt surface as opposed to running on sidewalks/roads.  

I am.   That is, considering my forecast shows showers starting on Wednesday and then thunderstorms on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, AND Tuesday.

Essentially, I'm going to be wet no matter what.

Looking for some advice here.  I've been experiencing knee pain at around the point where I hit 3-4 miles.  It happens almost every time and it alternates between knees (which seems odd).  Thoughts on trying more interval long runs?  For example, I would start by running 4 minutes, then walk 1 minute, rinse and repeat for as long as I can go.  I'm also thinking of going back to a more flat, dirt surface as opposed to running on sidewalks/roads.  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall you running at relatively high HR's before. If true the answer may be as simple as slowing down. If I'm not remembering right then feel free to reach through whatever device you're using and smack me.

How are your shoes? 

Consider increasing quantity of runs and reducing effort/intensity. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall you running at relatively high HR's before. If true the answer may be as simple as slowing down. If I'm not remembering right then feel free to reach through whatever device you're using and smack me.
Slowing down has been my (and doctor prescribed) cure for ailments for years. Walking at intervals can't hurt either.

Speaking of walking... @gianmarco one of the other things I saw in my review of the old thread in 2007...during training for that marathon, I was walking at select spots- at miles to mirror walking through aid stations. This helped, based on my posts.

Anybody else getting reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally sick of the wind lately?
It was great yesterday. Finish 5K rep wanting to gian on the side of the road, so turn back into the wind and cool off before the next rep. I'm feeling a little punchy about the 36 degree 20+ mph wind feels like 25 forecasted for tomorrow's lunch run though.

MAC_32 said:
I was originally but have slowed it down (HR on long runs now under 150).  It doesn’t matter - I still get the pain no matter how slow I run.

JAA said:
Consider increasing quantity of runs and reducing effort/intensity. 
I would love to but it’s getting harder and harder for me to run (especially long runs) on weekdays. I’ve been supplementing with HIIT workouts

Pretty new and I got them from a running company for what it’s worth

Sorry that’s what I meant.  I did go to a local company and they did size me.
Go back and ask them, explaining what's been happening. 

Even after getting a good "fit" your body might react differently than expected. 

I know for me, I love the zero drop shoes. Altra have become among my favorites (along with Saucony). But if I wear them every day, my ankle starts bothering me and if I go long over a few days, I develop other pains. I need to switch them up. So I rotate through 4 pairs (3 Saucony, 1 Altra). 

I know for me, I love the zero drop shoes. 
My everyday shoes tend to have a 4 mm drop.  I ran the other day in an older shoe with an 8 mm drop and it felt somewhat odd.

@fred_1_15301, what shoe, specifically, have you been running in?  And how is your running form?  I'm wondering if you're a heel striker, which would cause quite a jarring of the knee/legs.  (Sorry if we've already been through this.)

hi friends.

on my trip back to NYC, I realized I had a gift card for REI there... so looking to buy some stuff.

my old Polar watch from 2005 is practically useless at this point- no gps, and pacing was used with a foot-pod thing you attached to the laces of your shoes for running (separate disc for the back wheel of the bike for riding). plus the battery is long done. 

I've been running with my phone in my hand all this time.. which is ok, tbh... but probably better with an arm strap for it. so- looking for a new watch for running or an arm strap thing for my phone while running. might get some new shoes too, depending on if I get the watch or not.

FYI, regarding the murder of runner Ahmaud Arbery while running:

His former coach is "asking supporters to honor Arbery by going for a run of 2.23 miles, representing the date of his death on Friday, which would have been his birthday. He asks that runners document their run and post it to social media under the hashtag #IRunWithMaud."
So sad. Really puts in perspective how fortunate we are to be able to do what we love without being judged because of our skin color. Sad that people of color can’t do the same. Couldn’t imagine my wife or parents receiving a phone call that I got gunned down while exercising. 
Yup.  I walked the dog for about 5 miles this morning, switched shoes, then went out to run 2.23 miles.  As I wrote on FB:

I've been doing this thing where I'm trying to run/walk every single street in my town. That means a lot of running down cul de sacs and dead-end courts, turning around and running back out. I'm sure it looks pretty weird, and I've gotten a look or two from people out in their yards or on their porches. But nobody has said anything. Nobody has yelled at me. And nobody has grabbed their shotguns and started following me. I'm grateful for that, but also so incredibly sad that in 2020 there are people in this country that don't have the luxury of feeling safe just going for a run through a neighborhood because of the color of their skin.
2.23 miles today for Ahmaud Arbery. RIP. And let's be better.
#irunwithMaud

hi friends.

on my trip back to NYC, I realized I had a gift card for REI there... so looking to buy some stuff.

my old Polar watch from 2005 is practically useless at this point- no gps, and pacing was used with a foot-pod thing you attached to the laces of your shoes for running (separate disc for the back wheel of the bike for riding). plus the battery is long done. 

I've been running with my phone in my hand all this time.. which is ok, tbh... but probably better with an arm strap for it. so- looking for a new watch for running or an arm strap thing for my phone while running. might get some new shoes too, depending on if I get the watch or not.
If REI has shoes you dig, you can find a gps watch on amazon to meet whatever specs you want. Some incredible deals on slightly older models from the big gps watch companies.  
Of the watches on REI, I’d go Garmin 245. 

My everyday shoes tend to have a 4 mm drop.  I ran the other day in an older shoe with an 8 mm drop and it felt somewhat odd.

@fred_1_15301, what shoe, specifically, have you been running in?  And how is your running form?  I'm wondering if you're a heel striker, which would cause quite a jarring of the knee/legs.  (Sorry if we've already been through this.)
I have no idea about the right form so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.  The brand of the shoe is called Brooks and I got it from a local running store.

Whatcha running in and what form(s) of HIIT workouts are you doing?  
Some brand called Brooks.  I mix up my HIIT routine everyday.  Mostly cardio but they all include some combo of Abs and pushups.  Lots of lunges which is why I’m surprised that my knees are perfectly fine after a 45-60 minute HIIT workout.

I have no idea about the right form so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.  The brand of the shoe is called Brooks and I got it from a local running store.
It could help you to take note of your stride. Less ideal is to reach a little too far with the front foot, land mainly on the heel, and then basically lose time as your body catches up with that lead foot.  This tends to occur when the stride is essentially all in the lower leg versus using the upper leg to lift and rotate through.  The image I like is that of riding a scooter - plant the foot alongside the body and push back.

Some brand called Brooks.  I mix up my HIIT routine everyday.  Mostly cardio but they all include some combo of Abs and pushups.  Lots of lunges which is why I’m surprised that my knees are perfectly fine after a 45-60 minute HIIT workout.
Watch these 2 videos and see if it gives you an understanding of what they are talking about and maybe you can take something away that helps.

Running technique

Running form

Ok, so just found out something about one of my Facebook friends. She is someone my wife and I know that went to med school with us (she was in the year between us) and is apparently a complete stud triathlete.

She competed in the Florida Double Anvil Triathlon in March of this year and won the whole thing. That's a 4.8 mile swim, 224 mile bike and 52.4 mile run. She did it in 25 hours and 16 minutes for a course record, coming in 1st place. In Florida, in 85 degree heat. And she beat all the men in too.

Blog interview with her

W.T.F.  :jawdrop:

Ok, so just found out something about one of my Facebook friends. She is someone my wife and I know that went to med school with us (she was in the year between us) and is apparently a complete stud triathlete.

She competed in the Florida Double Anvil Triathlon in March of this year and won the whole thing. That's a 4.8 mile swim, 224 mile bike and 52.4 mile run. She did it in 25 hours and 16 minutes for a course record, coming in 1st place. In Florida, in 85 degree heat. And she beat all the men in too.

Blog interview with her

W.T.F.  :jawdrop:
Total bad-###. Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread