What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

Not sure if it's the same thing, but last year when it started getting cool, I started having pain in my left knee as well almost immediately after runs.  This is the knee that I had an ACL repair on about two years ago so at first I was a little concerned.  I have zero pain during running and this pain will come on almost suddenly, last for a few minutes, and then completely go away.  I've found that stretching helps or getting the knee warm (i.e. jumping in the shower almost immediately).  I reached out to my PT at the time (as well as asked about it here) and it's almost certainly IT band tightness that refers to the knee.  For me, it's nothing serious other than just being really uncomfortable for a few minutes.  It happened to me for the first time again when I just ran in KC this weekend with the cooler temps so I'm pretty sure this is something I'll always have to deal with.

Can't say for sure if that's what it is, but a quick search I did at the time showed that lots of other runners deal with the exact same issue I was having.  Maybe some of this sounds familiar just to give you a little peace of mind.  And, if it is, you can try wearing something on your knee to keep it warm during running and/or immediate stretching when you're done. 

My $.02.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Weather doesn't seem to have an impact on what I'm experiencing, though I only have two data points. Last week's painful run was pretty hot/humid while this Tuesday's was one of my coolest runs to date. Pain seems to last for several hours afterwards. I've been doing some research on IT band syndrome vs. patellofemoral syndrome, and I'm thinking it's the latter - I've read that IT band syndrome primarily causes pain on the side of the knee, while PFS affects the front of the knee. Most of my pain is in the center of my knee around/underneath the patellar tendon. PFS is supposedly aggravated by speed/inclines, and both of my painful runs came at a quicker pace and on a steeper course than normal. I'm going to be avoiding that course for a while.

Overall, I hope it's another one of those things that will go away as I get acclimated to being a runner (and as I give it a lot of rest next week). I've read that PFS primarily plagues new runners, though it can be fairly treatment-resistant with some people. So stay tuned, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so obviously runners get to know the people in their neighborhood better than most. 

So i have become aware of a house that i know for a fact when they walk their dog, they dont pick up the poop. I was aware of the poop i just never knew where they lived. Saw the guy with the dog getting the mail on his way back from his walk so i watched him closely to see what house he went into. 

I am also aware of a house where i know the guy smokes and flicks his cigarette butts out the window. He does it like one block from his house which just really chaps me. 

Thoughts? Ideas? 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Ok so obviously runners get to know the people in their neighborhood better than most. 

So i have become aware of a house that i know for a fact when they walk their dog, they dont pick up the poop. I was aware of the poop i just never knew where they lived. Saw the guy with the dog getting the mail on his way back from his walk so i watched him closely to see what house he went into. 

I am also aware of a house where i know the guy smokes and flicks his cigarette butts out the window. He does it like one block from his house which just really chaps me. 

Thoughts? Ideas? 
Turn them on each other.

Flaming dog poop on dog guy's porch with a cigarette butt next to it.  Then let it build from there.

Took a couple of Royals to get you over the hump.

Your welcome. Enjoy the ride. Rooting for you guys.  :thumbup:
One of those Royals has been one my nerves lately for the crappy defense that he's been playing, but I love the other one.  I'll let you figure out which one is which. ;)

As I haven't adhered fully to the plan of late, I'm calling another late audible and have shifted stuff around a little. 

I'm planning one more workout today, easy 3 miles tomorrow, 3 pace miles Saturday, and a long 2 hour run on Sunday before dialing it back for the last week.

I was scheduled for both a tempo run (50 minutes) and a track workout (6x800's at 10k pace) this week but will only get to do one and I get to do it this morning. 

Probably doesn't matter but which would you do?

As I haven't adhered fully to the plan of late, I'm calling another late audible and have shifted stuff around a little. 

I'm planning one more workout today, easy 3 miles tomorrow, 3 pace miles Saturday, and a long 2 hour run on Sunday before dialing it back for the last week.

I was scheduled for both a tempo run (50 minutes) and a track workout (6x800's at 10k pace) this week but will only get to do one and I get to do it this morning. 

I would do the tempo. 

Beautiful fall weather with highs in the 50s and overnight lows in the 30s/40s.  Life is good here in Brewers-land...  :thumbup:
Speaking of which, 10 miles this morning under clear skies with temps in the low 40s.  Short-sleeved shirt, shorts, and GLOVES.   :wub:

10 miles at 7:41/mile.  I've got a couple little aches and pains (sore left hip/quad, tight right hamstring), so hopefully I can just make it through these next couple of days without making anything worse, and then I'll have a much-needed 48 hours of rest/recovery.

Been beautiful here too. 65 degrees and a 40 dew point when I ran last night. Such an easy and smooth run. 

My projected SI for my long run on Saturday is 91. Glorious.  :headbang:

Anyone here dealt with weak little sissy ankles like me?  I swear about every 6 weeks I roll my ankle.  Nothing terrible, but its been a little swollen since Monday and slightly uncomfortable to walk. 

Do some people run in an ankle brace like this one?   Or is there a better fix?  

Been beautiful here too. 65 degrees and a 40 dew point when I ran last night. Such an easy and smooth run. 

My projected SI for my long run on Saturday is 91. Glorious.  :headbang:
Awesome.  Same for my 15 tomorrow morning.  For my 9-miler on Saturday morning?  65 suck index (34/31).  :pickle:

Anyone here dealt with weak little sissy ankles like me?  I swear about every 6 weeks I roll my ankle.  Nothing terrible, but its been a little swollen since Monday and slightly uncomfortable to walk. 

Strengthen them.  Get one of these or just fold up a towel a few times to give yourself a soft surface then stand on it on one leg.  Once that's easy do things like move your arms, bend your knees, wobble your hips.  Graduate-level move is to try it with eyes closed.  This is really more about proprioception than strengthening, but it will help with both.

You can also get a strength band, put it around your toes and hold on to the other end and work through the different movement planes with your foot.

tri-man 47 said:
My Tigers will take care of that.   :boxing:
Hahaha.  My only fear is that they're playing loose and care-free, but the Brewers seem to be handling the pressure OK so far...

gianmarco said:

The 2 hour run Sunday may not hurt you, but at this point it won't help you either.  I'd bag that and scale it back - put all your energy into today.  After you're done today it is what it is from a fitness perspective - it's just about diet, rest, stress management, mental prep, and staying crisp.

jb1020 said:

Do you have access to any real trails?  I know I'm a broken record about strength training.  But I think running those are why I've handled ankle rolls better than I used to.  I still lose focus and do it occasionally, but whereas in the past it would hurt like hell that night and necessitate a couplefew days off it's (knock on wood) consistently been a non-issue.  Don't even notice it by the end of the run nor at any point in the 24 hours that follow.

You have nothing to worry about with the Tigers.  This team checked out.
Just looked at their box score from last night.  I don't recognize anybody.  Only two guys batting over .250.  Only one who looks decent is this Castellanos dude.  

Just looked at their box score from last night.  I don't recognize anybody.  Only two guys batting over .250.  Only one who looks decent is this Castellanos dude.  
Stewart is a good prospect, but he just got called up earlier this month.  There are some other useful pieces, but they're just bridges and stop gaps.  I'll be mildly surprised if we win one since we're not getting the hangover day.  But I assure you - there won't be more than one.

The 2 hour run Sunday may not hurt you, but at this point it won't help you either.  I'd bag that and scale it back - put all your energy into today.  After you're done today it is what it is from a fitness perspective - it's just about diet, rest, stress management, mental prep, and staying crisp.
Hmm, you think so?  I don't know if it's a fitness thing or more just getting used to being out there for a while.  The plan had these last 2 weeks with 2 hour runs and I couldn't do it this past weekend while in KC.  But, I'm definitely fine cutting that back.  I don't plan on being out there that long for the race anyway.

I got slightly delayed and realized I had a little less time than I thought so I drove out to the park to get my tempo run in.  Initially, I was going to do a 50 min tempo with slow progression.  Got started with some nice cool weather, overcast, and just lovely temp-wise (67/51).  I'm on the path and running slow to warm up at ~9:45 pace and this guy in a bright orange shirt goes running by me at a steady pace (my guess is probably 8:30ish pace).  Shortly after where I started I made the turn along the straight north part of the park and it's nothing but a long flat straightaway and I'm watching this guy slowly pull away from me.  And without thinking about it, my body is saying "it's on, mfer".

Normally I try to warm up for a good mile but I was only a few minutes in and I was ready to go.  Legs have felt fresh since I haven't done too much over the last few days and I'm looking down at my watch and I'm already at 9:00 pace and quickening without purposefully trying to do so.  At this point, it's time to start reeling him in.  Jams are playing, legs feeling like they just want to go and the next thing I know I'm running by this dude effortlessly.  I look down and I'm at a 7:15 pace.  I pass him (about 1.3ish miles into my run), hold it for a little, then start to back it down just a bit to my 10k pace (which is where I'm supposed to max for these runs).  But, I started thinking and decided to just change the run up and turn this into a shorter but higher intensity tempo.  So I bumped it back up to my 5k PR pace and held it until mile 3.  While i was still feeling good at mile 3, I figured it might not be smart to run that kind of effort for too long so I slowed it down to race pace for a short bit and then just finished the run.

But that felt really, really good.  Legs got what they wanted, I feel refreshed, and I feel comfortable with this being my last workout before the race in 10 days. 

ETA -- What a difference this weather makes.  I know I could have PR'd my 5K this morning if I wanted to without a max effort.

Hmm, you think so?  I don't know if it's a fitness thing or more just getting used to being out there for a while.  The plan had these last 2 weeks with 2 hour runs and I couldn't do it this past weekend while in KC.  But, I'm definitely fine cutting that back.  I don't plan on being out there that long for the race anyway.
Like everything in this sport it varies person-to-person, but generally speaking it takes somewhere between 10 and 20 days after a workout (depending on the type of workout) for those fitness gains to be realized.  Nothing you do after today running-wise will help physically race day.  Mentally?  Maybe, but physically?  Nope.

BAMF run today though  :thumbup:

@Juxtatarot good luck with the 5 miler this weekend, hopefully there will be enough competition to push you.  It's crazy that there is already a 2019 tab on the FBG race calendar.
Thanks!  Although it will be a small race, it is a Chicago Area Runners' Association (CARA) certified race and that always brings out some really fast runners.  Weather will be great and I'll be reasonably rested so I'll have no excuses.  The 5-mile to 10K distance is my least favorite to race and I've struggled at such races in the past.  That said, considering my recent 5K result and my training, I know I am supposed to be able to break 30:00.  But we'll see...

Like everything in this sport it varies person-to-person, but generally speaking it takes somewhere between 10 and 20 days after a workout (depending on the type of workout) for those fitness gains to be realized.  Nothing you do after today running-wise will help physically race day.  Mentally?  Maybe, but physically?  Nope.

BAMF run today though  :thumbup:
Thanks, today was very encouraging even though it was short.

I can probably get out tomorrow and run long. 9 days out. Maybe a better idea, possibly get a little benefit and then take it easy this weekend?

Thanks, today was very encouraging even though it was short.

I can probably get out tomorrow and run long. 9 days out. Maybe a better idea, possibly get a little benefit and then take it easy this weekend?
Yep, big fan of the late in the training cycle back-to-back too.  Do the speed to tire you out then do the long run on tired legs.  I have my wife doing it Saturday-Sunday, 10 at MP then the final 20 Sunday.  I could tell from the look in her eye from across the room when we were setting this week's schedule that when I had her document those two workouts that if she had something sharp in her hand and was within arm's reach she'd be stabbing me in the eye right now.  This is why I sat on the other side of the room though.

Yeah, they're not very good.  A friend's daughter, recently out of college, does baseball analytics (she's interviewing with MLB teams).  She has stated that 2021 is when they're competitive again.  I'll settle for at least one win against the Brewers to help out the Cubbies. 

Yeah, they're not very good.  A friend's daughter, recently out of college, does baseball analytics (she's interviewing with MLB teams).  She has stated that 2021 is when they're competitive again.  I'll settle for at least one win against the Brewers to help out the Cubbies. 
If Gilbert's a buyer it'll be sooner than that.  Talent in the upper minors is close and he's like Mr. I when it comes to spending - unlike his kids.  Just hope he stays out of personnel as he's been prone to do with the Cavs.  Maybe he knows that he doesn't know baseball.  He doesn't know basketball but unfortunately he also doesn't realize that.

You'll need at least 2 to help the Cubs.  They'll lose tonight, and they'll lose at least one against the Cards.  If the Brewers win 2/3, they win the division, IMHO.

BAA "Cut off for 2019 is 4:52. Qualifying standards will be five minutes faster for all age groups, starting with the 2020 Boston Marathon."

BAA "Cut off for 2019 is 4:52. Qualifying standards will be five minutes faster for all age groups, starting with the 2020 Boston Marathon."
So much for that age group benefit I was gonna get next year when I turned 50.  :wall:

(like i would ever qualify for boston or have any prayer doing so. ok, back to my slow corner)

66/64 this morning...Holy #### that was nice.  I was expecting a crappy run after a week of traveling and taking a few days off but ended up at a 9:45 pace and HR of 136.  I haven't seen that sub 10 min mile with a HR under 140 combo in probably 5 years.  

I was just trying to get out and take it easy on the ankle.  Week 3 of this Higdon plan is a fall back week so I really haven't missed much by taking 3 days off.  The only thing I skipped was a 6x400 5k Pace.  I might make it up tomorrow.  The only other thing this week is to "race" a 5k, instead of a long run.  Any suggestions on which to do?  or squeeze them both in over the weekend?  Doing both puts me running 6 days in a row, which is not common for me, coming right off a rolled ankle.

Ever had a conversation similar to this?

"Have any plans this weekend?"

"I have a race tomorrow."

"How long?"

"Five miles."

"Just five miles?  Oh, that should be easy for you."

66/64 this morning...Holy #### that was nice.  I was expecting a crappy run after a week of traveling and taking a few days off but ended up at a 9:45 pace and HR of 136.  I haven't seen that sub 10 min mile with a HR under 140 combo in probably 5 years.  

I was just trying to get out and take it easy on the ankle.  Week 3 of this Higdon plan is a fall back week so I really haven't missed much by taking 3 days off.  The only thing I skipped was a 6x400 5k Pace.  I might make it up tomorrow.  The only other thing this week is to "race" a 5k, instead of a long run.  Any suggestions on which to do?  or squeeze them both in over the weekend?  Doing both puts me running 6 days in a row, which is not common for me, coming right off a rolled ankle.
Since the intervals were supposed to be at 5K pace, the race is the much harder workout.  I agree you shouldn't do both.  Do the race if your ankle feels up to it.  It might be a good time to really test yourself since your heart rate data is good.  

Would you actually find a last minute race or would you just "race" around the neighborhood?

Users who are viewing this thread