What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Signed up for a 5k on 6/3.

Weirdly, I've never really raced this distance...just the solo virtual one we did during COVID.

This appears to be a new event, so I don't know anything about it. It's run by "Hometown" that puts these on all over the country, so hopefully they know what they are doing. It's also a 10k and HM, so it should have a decent number of people.

I wanted to do something fast since I've been doing so much distance training. We will see how it goes :oldunsure:

Last edited:
Signed up for a 5k on 6/3.

Weirdly, I've never really raced this distance...just the solo virtual one we did during COVID.

This appears to be a new event, so I don't know anything about. It's run by "Hometown" that puts these on all over the country, so hopefully they know what they are doing. It's also a 10k and HM, so it should have a decent number of people.

I wanted to do something fast since I've been doing so much distance training. We will see how it goes :oldunsure:

Make sure to start up front.

I have not -- the most I've ever run in a single go is probably 10-11 miles. Could always opt for a shorter race distance if my legs just can't take the high mileage associated with full marathon training, but I'm going to see how far I can get by being disciplined about pace/stretching/foam rolling etc.

I use it to train my mind for those long runs!
Not sure if you guys are in the Strava group or even use it, but you may want to join. It's a good way for motivation - most of the runners in here are on there. I know when I was training seriously someone would post here if they saw a workout go awry or offer a suggestion or a word of encouragement.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/TeamFFA
And somewhere....in there or in the first post is a link as to who is who.

My initials are KR on Strava
:hifive: that’s extremely helpful

I have not -- the most I've ever run in a single go is probably 10-11 miles. Could always opt for a shorter race distance if my legs just can't take the high mileage associated with full marathon training, but I'm going to see how far I can get by being disciplined about pace/stretching/foam rolling etc.

I use it to train my mind for those long runs!
Not sure if you guys are in the Strava group or even use it, but you may want to join. It's a good way for motivation - most of the runners in here are on there. I know when I was training seriously someone would post here if they saw a workout go awry or offer a suggestion or a word of encouragement.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/TeamFFA

Hmm, someone made me an Admin.

I'll bring the ban hammer to anyone for $10 - PM for payment details.

Oh just a quick note about Garmin watches (Epix, in my case): I ran all of Miwok (14hrs), went to bed, and then got up the next morning and still had 55% charge left. Definite recommend.

Yesterday I decided to shut things down, in order to let my calf/periostitis heal. There's never really a "good" time to do it, but I want to be sure I'm healthy and trained for R2R2R in October.

This means foregoing my 100-miler attempt in July. Which sucks, but I'll look at the glass as half full -- that I managed to drag my calf through training long enough to have a successful Miwok and get my WSER entry done for the year.

I'm flying north tonight and it will be sad to spend the weekend at home instead of on the trails. Hopefully after a couple weeks off, I can at least do some low-impact hiking.

Yesterday I decided to shut things down, in order to let my calf/periostitis heal. There's never really a "good" time to do it, but I want to be sure I'm healthy and trained for R2R2R in October.

This means foregoing my 100-miler attempt in July. Which sucks, but I'll look at the glass as half full -- that I managed to drag my calf through training long enough to have a successful Miwok and get my WSER entry done for the year.

I'm flying north tonight and it will be sad to spend the weekend at home instead of on the trails. Hopefully after a couple weeks off, I can at least do some low-impact hiking.
Looks like I'll be joining you on the bench for the next month or so. I tried a run today, but instead of loosening up, the tightness in my calf led to a jolt of pain and a limp back to my car. All I'm really trying to do this year is build strength and improve stride, so I'm not feeling too anxious about things. But I'll also be laying low for a while.

I don't have much of a bucket list -- there's really only one item on it, and that's running a marathon. Yesterday I began a 22-week training program targeting an October 21 race date. Let's do this. :boxing:
At least one thing on your bucket list is complete - FBG Strava Club entry achieved! Remember the high standards we uphold. :p

On my end didn't get to ride this weekend with family commitments - not a big deal and the legs needed a down period. The next three weeks should be pretty intense. Big training rides culminating with (hopefully) a ride/race on the 3rd. Just wanting to finish, hopefully not in death march mode.

One interesting note on training. My Thursday ride ended up with 15% of my ride in Zone 7 - 350W+. That's a big number; no wonder I was beat that night. Bunch of sadists and masochists I ride with.

I don't have much of a bucket list -- there's really only one item on it, and that's running a marathon. Yesterday I began a 22-week training program targeting an October 21 race date. Let's do this. :boxing:
At least one thing on your bucket list is complete - FBG Strava Club entry achieved! Remember the high standards we uphold. :p

On my end didn't get to ride this weekend with family commitments - not a big deal and the legs needed a down period. The next three weeks should be pretty intense. Big training rides culminating with (hopefully) a ride/race on the 3rd. Just wanting to finish, hopefully not in death march mode.

One interesting note on training. My Thursday ride ended up with 15% of my ride in Zone 7 - 350W+. That's a big number; no wonder I was beat that night. Bunch of sadists and masochists I ride with.
:jawdrop:

Week 1 of training is in the books. As indicated by my notes on Strava, the biggest struggle has been running slow enough to stay in HR zone 2. Don't feel like much of a BMF while shuffling along at 11:20 pace and walking hills, but that's what I need to do right now -- will see improvement eventually.

This weekend I also got fitted for some running shoes, ending up with Hoka Bondi 8s. After wearing these, I feel crazy for ever trying to run in my old crappy shoes. So much better.

:jawdrop:
No doubt. It was either Z1 or Z6, Z7. 25% was Z6-7, and about 50% was Z1, Z2. There was no middle.

Week 1 of training is in the books. As indicated by my notes on Strava, the biggest struggle has been running slow enough to stay in HR zone 2. Don't feel like much of a BMF while shuffling along at 11:20 pace and walking hills, but that's what I need to do right now -- will see improvement eventually.

This weekend I also got fitted for some running shoes, ending up with Hoka Bondi 8s. After wearing these, I feel crazy for ever trying to run in my old crappy shoes. So much better.
1. This shows you've been reading. Impressive!
2. You ARE a BMF by getting out there and doing it right. I need to follow your lead at this point.

Keep it up!

I can speak with 100% certainty that this process works. My heart rate when I am in slow run zone is usually in the neighborhood of 145 - 152ish. Right now as I'm trying to run when I can I'm in the 11:45-12:00 pace.

I just took a quick peak back to my second marathon in 2016 and I was running 9:30's at that same heart rate a week before my race.

You WILL get there. Just trust the process and the grind.

I will also add: when it came to hills I started just running slower instead of walking. I think it was @Juxtatarot who told me just to keep running. Your heart rate may go up a bit but you'll make up for it on the downhills.

I can speak with 100% certainty that this process works. My heart rate when I am in slow run zone is usually in the neighborhood of 145 - 152ish. Right now as I'm trying to run when I can I'm in the 11:45-12:00 pace.

I just took a quick peak back to my second marathon in 2016 and I was running 9:30's at that same heart rate a week before my race.

You WILL get there. Just trust the process and the grind.

I will also add: when it came to hills I started just running slower instead of walking. I think it was @Juxtatarot who told me just to keep running. Your heart rate may go up a bit but you'll make up for it on the downhills.

I think about you walking the hills more often than I should. It still frustrates me.

The last two weeks at work have been difficult so I never got around to writing a Broad Street Race report. Juxt pretty much got it right anyway, and it wasn’t much different than the previous 2 efforts in that race.

Friday night my sister (youngest sister – not the one some of you met in Indy) and brother-in-law were the race directors for a 5k at their kids’ school/church. They convinced my son to volunteer and me to run in it, I didn’t want him racing as he had a lacrosse tournament with 4 games the next day. I knew going in that I had a chance to win it as last year’s winner ran around 18:30. I had never done this race before, but had run a race that was about 90% common with this course back in 2011 (20:20). I knew the first 2 miles would be fast and the 3rd mostly uphill would be a challenge.

It was 84 degrees at the start and I settled in in the 2nd row behind a bunch of elementary school kids, including my ever confident 8 year old nephew. The wiser 10 year old nephew knew to line up behind me. The race starts going uphill a bit and I thought I got off to a good start as passed the little ones ahead of me, but I saw 3 runners ahead of me. One of those runners (last year’s winner) was way out in front, he had some serious sprinting speed.

About ¼ of a mile in while still in 4th I took a look at my watch and it showed 5:10 which was ridiculous. Shortly thereafter I see the 2nd and 3rd place runners starting to fall back to me. I’m in second by the time I get to the 1 miler marker at 5:22 and gaining on the leader. Around 1.25 I caught the leader and encouraged him to stay with me, but as expected he dropped off after a few seconds. I pleased with how I ran the 2nd mile even if it was helped by running mostly downhill (5:33). I started the last mile strong as I felt like I had a chance to do something. I don’t know if it was the incline or the heat but that last mile destroyed me, and I’m annoyed I didn’t have more fight in me. It was cool see my son cheering for me as I made the last turn. I finished in 17:25 which is a PR time for but the course might be short as Garmin had it at 3.09. 2nd place came in at 19:56.

My mom also volunteered at the race and she got to see me finish, I think the last time she saw me race was in 2005 when I ran a half marathon with my sisters. The kid that finished 2nd is 19 and I used to play basketball with his father in high school.

I feel fortunate with the results of these past two races, and it’s funny that they almost feel like lifetime achievement awards as they are better outcomes than I should expect based on my recent training. I’m sort of being rewarded for the work I put in last fall and previous training cycles. I also have to give some credit to magic shoes. I need to race some more 5Ks as I think sub 17 seem more achievable now, on the right day and course. I'm going to take it mostly easy this week, and then start base building in June ahead of the start of marathon training 7/17.

The last two weeks at work have been difficult so I never got around to writing a Broad Street Race report. Juxt pretty much got it right anyway, and it wasn’t much different than the previous 2 efforts in that race.

Friday night my sister (youngest sister – not the one some of you met in Indy) and brother-in-law were the race directors for a 5k at their kids’ school/church. They convinced my son to volunteer and me to run in it, I didn’t want him racing as he had a lacrosse tournament with 4 games the next day. I knew going in that I had a chance to win it as last year’s winner ran around 18:30. I had never done this race before, but had run a race that was about 90% common with this course back in 2011 (20:20). I knew the first 2 miles would be fast and the 3rd mostly uphill would be a challenge.

It was 84 degrees at the start and I settled in in the 2nd row behind a bunch of elementary school kids, including my ever confident 8 year old nephew. The wiser 10 year old nephew knew to line up behind me. The race starts going uphill a bit and I thought I got off to a good start as passed the little ones ahead of me, but I saw 3 runners ahead of me. One of those runners (last year’s winner) was way out in front, he had some serious sprinting speed.

About ¼ of a mile in while still in 4th I took a look at my watch and it showed 5:10 which was ridiculous. Shortly thereafter I see the 2nd and 3rd place runners starting to fall back to me. I’m in second by the time I get to the 1 miler marker at 5:22 and gaining on the leader. Around 1.25 I caught the leader and encouraged him to stay with me, but as expected he dropped off after a few seconds. I pleased with how I ran the 2nd mile even if it was helped by running mostly downhill (5:33). I started the last mile strong as I felt like I had a chance to do something. I don’t know if it was the incline or the heat but that last mile destroyed me, and I’m annoyed I didn’t have more fight in me. It was cool see my son cheering for me as I made the last turn. I finished in 17:25 which is a PR time for but the course might be short as Garmin had it at 3.09. 2nd place came in at 19:56.

My mom also volunteered at the race and she got to see me finish, I think the last time she saw me race was in 2005 when I ran a half marathon with my sisters. The kid that finished 2nd is 19 and I used to play basketball with his father in high school.

I feel fortunate with the results of these past two races, and it’s funny that they almost feel like lifetime achievement awards as they are better outcomes than I should expect based on my recent training. I’m sort of being rewarded for the work I put in last fall and previous training cycles. I also have to give some credit to magic shoes. I need to race some more 5Ks as I think sub 17 seem more achievable now, on the right day and course. I'm going to take it mostly easy this week, and then start base building in June ahead of the start of marathon training 7/17.

You are so ridiculously fast.

Its awesome that your son and mom were there to see you take home the prize...especially with young guns in the race. And, it's great to see you pulling together these times with not the training you were hoping for.

Great race :thumbup:

Watch band broke the other day so now it’s unwearable. I feel naked and not in a good way. Ordered a new band, hopefully it comes today before I leave tomorrow for Asheville and then pigeon forge.
The benefit was running with no HRM, no watch to even keep track of miles or time (just strava running on the phone). Ran comfortably smooth, not pushing, and the pace was better than I expected. Which probably means my HR was higher than it felt 🤷

Watch band broke the other day so now it’s unwearable. I feel naked and not in a good way. Ordered a new band, hopefully it comes today before I leave tomorrow for Asheville and then pigeon forge.
The benefit was running with no HRM, no watch to even keep track of miles or time (just strava running on the phone). Ran comfortably smooth, not pushing, and the pace was better than I expected. Which probably means my HR was higher than it felt 🤷

I don't know what I would do without a HRM. I look at that thing way more than I probably should.

I don't know what I would do without a HRM. I look at that thing way more than I probably should.
You must really care about cadence.

@pbm107 - just cruising behind the 19 yr old who won last year like he’s Maverick or something then saying “come on sonny” to him while passing and smashing him by 2.5 minutes and wanting it to be more.
Damn you a BMF.
Missing some "la di da" in this post.
I actually started a la-di-da when pbm posted that but it couldn't quite come together.

@bushdocda summed it up much better than I ever would have. :lol:

If you're that frustrated with your watch's HRM have you considered going back to an external monitor? I am still using the Scosche model that you used before.

If you're that frustrated with your watch's HRM have you considered going back to an external monitor? I am still using the Scosche model that you used before.

I was mostly just making a joke but the Scosche was the best monitor I’ve had. It’s something to consider. I don’t have the cadence problem like Xulf does. Mine just likes to be 20 beats too high for an unknown reason. It seems to be worst in these middle temps. The winter and summer have been more accurate. Anyway, I’ve gotten used to it and try not to let it bother me.

Coming up on two weeks of no running now. Still nowhere near the "5 days without pain doing everyday activities" threshold for low-impact exercise. Getting grumpy.

Good news is that I laid-off the Naproxen last night and this morning, and the calf is no worse. So maybe that's a sign that I can stop popping pills now. Progress?

Should us Midwesterners be concerned about this? The other morning I noticed a full moon that was orange and thought it was very strange. I had no idea.

So that explains the air quality notification I got this morning. :oldunsure: Only "unhealthy for sensitive groups" here, so I guess I'll continue to run outdoors unless it gets worse.

Should us Midwesterners be concerned about this? The other morning I noticed a full moon that was orange and thought it was very strange. I had no idea.

So that explains the air quality notification I got this morning. :oldunsure: Only "unhealthy for sensitive groups" here, so I guess I'll continue to run outdoors unless it gets worse.
If you are close to KC it could be the fire blazing at a recycle center in KCK. It's been blazing all morning and it stinks to high-hell all over the city. We can smell it at my house about 10 miles away.

Yeah in Calgary the AQI was 10+. Could barely see a half km. No way I'm running in that **** (if I was even able to run).

Moving from ‘training to train’ phase into marathon cycle this week. I think I got some better habits in place to help support the fall marathon. More food, less booze, more strength, consistent volume, more group runs.

I am going to a McMillan plan for the training after 4 or 5 prior with Hansons - no real reason other than I like the workout variety and think I didn’t inject enough pace/progression in the long runs as I should be - that is on me and if I feel like I am lacking volume at goal pace I might switch.

Using Final Surge for the plan and to deliver to my Garmin. Really love that convenience.

Moving from ‘training to train’ phase into marathon cycle this week. I think I got some better habits in place to help support the fall marathon. More food, less booze, more strength, consistent volume, more group runs.

I am going to a McMillan plan for the training after 4 or 5 prior with Hansons - no real reason other than I like the workout variety and think I didn’t inject enough pace/progression in the long runs as I should be - that is on me and if I feel like I am lacking volume at goal pace I might switch.

Using Final Surge for the plan and to deliver to my Garmin. Really love that convenience.

It looks like McMillan is a purchased plan. Curious on the weekly mileage or is it more time based (a couple snippets I saw looks like "60 min run" vs "7 miles")?

Long runs are 20+?

It looks like McMillan is a purchased plan. Curious on the weekly mileage or is it more time based (a couple snippets I saw looks like "60 min run" vs "7 miles")?

Long runs are 20+?
Yes purchased during some holiday sale thing.
I went with Marathon Level 4 (Int./Adv.) Combo - that goes 40-60 miles and mixes time based and mileage based along with the pace calculator calc’d pace ranges for all sessions.
Long runs range up to 20+, not sure what I’ll do when those show up.

I've been on forced hiatus since Wednesday due to finally being hit with the covid whammy after 3+ years of shucking and jiving. It's odd because I've had multiple known extended exposures over that time and somehow would always dodge it. Regardless, it was kicking my *** pretty good, so after several miserable days I went to the doctor yesterday and am now taking paxlovid. I feel better today than yesterday, not sure if it's because of the paxlovid or because my body was finally figuring things out. Either way, I think I'm still several days away from returning to running. :kicksrock:

I've been on forced hiatus since Wednesday due to finally being hit with the covid whammy after 3+ years of shucking and jiving. It's odd because I've had multiple known extended exposures over that time and somehow would always dodge it. Regardless, it was kicking my *** pretty good, so after several miserable days I went to the doctor yesterday and am now taking paxlovid. I feel better today than yesterday, not sure if it's because of the paxlovid or because my body was finally figuring things out. Either way, I think I'm still several days away from returning to running. :kicksrock:

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

The first time I got it, it was the suck. I was laid up for a couple days, bad sweats, lost taste for a day, and couldn't really do anything. I tried running and my HR was super high and it felt ridiculously taxing.

Next time I had it, it was nothing. Ran on the treadmill every day while "quarantining" with no impact on my HR.

Stupid COVID! Take some time and get yourself right. No reason to push if you don't need to. Hopefully the worst is over.

We're building up quite the IR list here as you now join @Zasada and me.

The first time I got it, it was the suck. I was laid up for a couple days, bad sweats, lost taste for a day, and couldn't really do anything. I tried running and my HR was super high and it felt ridiculously taxing.

Next time I had it, it was nothing. Ran on the treadmill every day while "quarantining" with no impact on my HR.
I've often run through routine head colds (at a slower pace and cutting back on distance), but there was no fooling myself this past weekend that I was up for a run. Actually, yesterday Garmin had my resting HR at 71(!), and it told me my body battery was drained and I should get a good night's sleep, even though I had pretty much done absolutely nothing all day.

I'll definitely heed your advice about not rushing back to soon, though. I suppose it's one of the benefits of having nothing on the race calendar.

How's the calf muscle doing? I see you're getting some walks in at least.
It seems to be doing quite well, thanks. I’ve jogged a few easy steps, but I’ll be cautious this week and through the weekend. I figure I’ll stay away from any 4th of July races so that I don’t rush myself back.

I'm trying to avoid the IR, but my hip yelled at me when I tried to run earlier today. I think I was smarter navigating peak track season this year, so hopefully just a day or 2 thing. Just too old to coach and train at the same time.

I really took it easy over the weekend (lots of Starship Troopers: Extermination, and a couple Jays games), and my calf is much better now. Pain is almost non-detectable.
A few more days of rest, and I hope to get out for a hike this coming weekend. 🤞

Much like this time last year I find this issue fascinatingly hilarious because I can do dynamic movements like russian speed lunges, pistol squats, single leg rdl's, etc at about 90% effort without issue. Try running though? Instant discomfort. But as I wrote above since I was smarter this year I think this will be short term instead of 6-8 weeks.

Still, how does just increasing time on feet for 4 weeks lead to this...

Much like this time last year I find this issue fascinatingly hilarious because I can do dynamic movements like russian speed lunges, pistol squats, single leg rdl's, etc at about 90% effort without issue. Try running though? Instant discomfort. But as I wrote above since I was smarter this year I think this will be short term instead of 6-8 weeks.

Still, how does just increasing time on feet for 4 weeks lead to this...
Ok, gents.....****'s getting real.

Exactly 4 months out from race day in Berlin. Yay!!

But, in all seriousness, I've been getting out the last few days and I loaded up Hanson's beginner's plan on my calendar (btw, found a cool tool on reddit to import any plan onto your online calendar if anyone is interested). The first few weeks are pretty "easy" and should serve to get a little base that I should have already had in place but didn't. Whatever. I'm not saying I'm going to follow the entire plan without missing a workout but I am going to try pretty hard to do most of it, including adding a little bit more these first few weeks so it's not a big shock when it jumps up big in week 6.

My goals for this race are legit to:

1) Not die
2) Enjoy the race.

I have no time goals whatsoever. And I don't plan on running this thing "hard" either. I want to make this an "enjoyable" marathon, running at a mostly comfortable pace for most of it. I'll stop and take pictures and basically just take it in. At my best, running that downhill race, I managed just under 9:00/mile pace or just under 4 hrs. I'm nowhere near that kind of shape. If I can do this thing at even a 10:30 pace (just over 4 1/2 hrs) comfortably I'll be content (and if it's slower than that, I don't really care).

The question becomes, how do I train for this with the workouts? While not quite there yet, my easy run paces will basically be that 10-10:30 min pace. When I start doing GMP runs, should I use the same time and basically just keep all my runs these next 4 months "easy"? Or, should I push a bit more during training so that running that pace during the race will make it feel easier? Keeping in mind that, while I'm going to really try to do it, I'm not ecstatic about training anyway and I think I'll have a higher likelihood of success in getting these runs in if I'm not hating most of them while I'm doing them in the heat and humidity out here that's about to start.

TIA and happy to answer yours......

TIA and happy to answer yours......

This is my plan for Boston in 11 months, BTW. Run easy, and just enjoy it. I'm pretty much done racing street marathons.

I would just run as much volume as you can at easy pace. You're not looking to PR, just cover the distance and enjoy it. Might as well make the training the same thing.

I'll hang up and listen now (to everyone else with more-informed opinions than me).

Users who are viewing this thread