What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

I would just run as much volume as you can at easy pace. You're not looking to PR, just cover the distance and enjoy it. Might as well make the training the same thing.
@gianmarco, this is better than what I was going to respond with. I'm happy to see that you're training for Berlin.

Finished week 2 (13 miles) on Monday. Not a whole lot to report as I'm still in the earliest of early stages. On my Saturday and Monday runs I started to feel a prickly/stabby sensation in the arch of my left foot -- not sure if that's anything, but I did extra stretching/icing just in case. It didn't come back during this morning's run. :shrug: Eager to get to the longer runs where these slow efforts really start to pay off.

Just run.
I was looking for something easier than this. :(
I think your first chunk of weeks should be whatever gets you to show up the next day. At some point when you feel like it, you would benefit from having the faster/GMP days but maybe work them in as progressions or alternating miles instead of the plan approach.

I think mixing those in and also dropping some hill strides (sound terrible but less injury risk than flat strides) like 4x20 seconds a time or two a week at the end of easy runs will get you to a spot where you can enjoy the raceday and not racedie.
#hug

Ok, gents.....****'s getting real.

Exactly 4 months out from race day in Berlin. Yay!!

But, in all seriousness, I've been getting out the last few days and I loaded up Hanson's beginner's plan on my calendar (btw, found a cool tool on reddit to import any plan onto your online calendar if anyone is interested). The first few weeks are pretty "easy" and should serve to get a little base that I should have already had in place but didn't. Whatever. I'm not saying I'm going to follow the entire plan without missing a workout but I am going to try pretty hard to do most of it, including adding a little bit more these first few weeks so it's not a big shock when it jumps up big in week 6.

My goals for this race are legit to:

1) Not die
2) Enjoy the race.

I have no time goals whatsoever. And I don't plan on running this thing "hard" either. I want to make this an "enjoyable" marathon, running at a mostly comfortable pace for most of it. I'll stop and take pictures and basically just take it in. At my best, running that downhill race, I managed just under 9:00/mile pace or just under 4 hrs. I'm nowhere near that kind of shape. If I can do this thing at even a 10:30 pace (just over 4 1/2 hrs) comfortably I'll be content (and if it's slower than that, I don't really care).

The question becomes, how do I train for this with the workouts? While not quite there yet, my easy run paces will basically be that 10-10:30 min pace. When I start doing GMP runs, should I use the same time and basically just keep all my runs these next 4 months "easy"? Or, should I push a bit more during training so that running that pace during the race will make it feel easier? Keeping in mind that, while I'm going to really try to do it, I'm not ecstatic about training anyway and I think I'll have a higher likelihood of success in getting these runs in if I'm not hating most of them while I'm doing them in the heat and humidity out here that's about to start.

TIA and happy to answer yours......
My first marathon was a 10:06 pace and finished in 4:31:41. And I remember that race to be HARD. There was walking the last 5 miles and I worked that whole race.

So I'd be careful about taking it easy during all the training runs and thinking you can just get in around 4:30 or 4:45. I'd think you'll still want to mix in some speed work when you feel like it and try and train this as if you are racing it. With the caveat that on the days you just aren't feeling it just substitute and easy run or just skip one.

I know you don't want the grind. But I'd still give yourself a little bit of grind to make race day a little bit easier for you to hit your plan.

Thanks, guys. That all helps.

Yeah, I'm under no illusion that even 4:30 will be a cakewalk. @bushdocda , your thought process is basically what I had in mind. Start with doing what will keep me out there (which is why I've slowed down a couple runs lately) and if/when it feels better, push some. If I keep getting out there, I'll get to that point as I actually do enjoy some of that.

Come race day, if I need to run/walk, I will, but I'm truly going to try to get to a fitness level where I don't need to. I won't have a time goal even on race day and will run strictly by HR and feel. Get in decent enough shape and run whatever pace that day that keeps my HR in the low 150's and do that as long as I can. There will be no 2nd half in the mid 170's while you guys watch if the blue dot explodes on the screen.

And maybe it'll be over 64.7 degrees F and I'll get to run with @gruecd ......

Finished week 2 (13 miles) on Monday. Not a whole lot to report as I'm still in the earliest of early stages. On my Saturday and Monday runs I started to feel a prickly/stabby sensation in the arch of my left foot -- not sure if that's anything, but I did extra stretching/icing just in case. It didn't come back during this morning's run. :shrug: Eager to get to the longer runs where these slow efforts really start to pay off.
Take care of those feet and ankles. Part of my first-in-the-morning and last-thing-at-night routine is to roll the feet in circles (both directions) and then simply wiggle the toes and flex the feet for a few seconds.

Take care of those feet and ankles. Part of my first-in-the-morning and last-thing-at-night routine is to roll the feet in circles (both directions) and then simply wiggle the toes and flex the feet for a few seconds.
And what about your own feet?

Start with doing what will keep me out there (which is why I've slowed down a couple runs lately) and if/when it feels better, push some. If I keep getting out there, I'll get to that point as I actually do enjoy some of that.
:yes:

When I first read your text a couple weeks ago...then this earlier tonight...my mind immediately went to - it's gonna be July in St Louis pretty soon. Whatever gets you out there to net as many miles as possible is gonna do you better than any sort of structured plan. Do that long enough through The Suck then when you get that day that breaks just right for a few hours get a good night of sleep and cut it loose.

And what about your own feet?
Well, of course ...I self-massage. NTTAWWT, amirite?

I think that could describe plantar fasciitis. Be careful!

Much like this time last year I find this issue fascinatingly hilarious because I can do dynamic movements like russian speed lunges, pistol squats, single leg rdl's, etc at about 90% effort without issue. Try running though? Instant discomfort. But as I wrote above since I was smarter this year I think this will be short term instead of 6-8 weeks.

Still, how does just increasing time on feet for 4 weeks lead to this...

The kids and other coaches (correctly) sassed me when I started showing up to practice with a porch rocker. I'd work with the kids through stairs and whatever middle distance workout we had planned for that day then when it was time for high jump practice it was time for my chair. I obviously couldn't get away with calling our 13 yo 'old man' anymore, but my back was much less problematic as I rocked along to the high jumping. Could used a cold beverage though.

But anyway, the weeks of harassment were worth it this week. When I set out for that jog Monday afternoon and everything on my left side hurt I was keenly reminded of being on the shelf this time last year. I'll never forget that old man shuffle I did from the van to my oldest when I picked him up from golf cause my back said nuh-uh, you're not walking tonight. When I set out for the run that set off that time bomb I pressed on anyway. This time? Quickly tapped out and quietly made my way to the gym. Backed off the upper body weights to about 80% of norm and mixed in some core. Next day stuck to lower at about 90% and was the same. Then today I went for that jog I intended to 2 days ago and while my left side still isn't 100% everything during and after's been fine.

So while I'm getting slower and fatter maybe I am getting wiser with age. Naaahhh...just lazier :rocks:

But, in all seriousness, I've been getting out the last few days and I loaded up Hanson's beginner's plan on my calendar (btw, found a cool tool on reddit to import any plan onto your online calendar if anyone is interested). The first few weeks are pretty "easy" and should serve to get a little base that I should have already had in place but didn't. Whatever. I'm not saying I'm going to follow the entire plan without missing a workout but I am going to try pretty hard to do most of it, including adding a little bit more these first few weeks so it's not a big shock when it jumps up big in week 6.

1) Not die
2) Enjoy the race.

I have no time goals whatsoever. And I don't plan on running this thing "hard" either. I want to make this an "enjoyable" marathon, running at a mostly comfortable pace for most of it. I'll stop and take pictures and basically just take it in. At my best, running that downhill race, I managed just under 9:00/mile pace or just under 4 hrs. I'm nowhere near that kind of shape. If I can do this thing at even a 10:30 pace (just over 4 1/2 hrs) comfortably I'll be content (and if it's slower than that, I don't really care).

The question becomes, how do I train for this with the workouts? While not quite there yet, my easy run paces will basically be that 10-10:30 min pace. When I start doing GMP runs, should I use the same time and basically just keep all my runs these next 4 months "easy"? Or, should I push a bit more during training so that running that pace during the race will make it feel easier? Keeping in mind that, while I'm going to really try to do it, I'm not ecstatic about training anyway and I think I'll have a higher likelihood of success in getting these runs in if I'm not hating most of them while I'm doing them in the heat and humidity out here that's about to start.

The entire concept of Hanson's is the plan is built on different paces for different reasons and they all come together on raceday for a great race.

Therefore, its really not effective to not do the harder paces of this plan. Either you do Hanson's or you don't. If you don't, that's cool, but I don't think you can expect results if you blow off the tempo and/or interval work.

For me, I enjoy the grind of the plan and how it builds on each other and you get better each week. No doubt it is a grind though. I can't pretend it will be easy (to be fair, I do the higher mileage advanced plan).

Hanson's is frequently mentioned as not being accurate on the title of "beginner's plan". Do not think the beginners will be easy, because it is not.

If you want to run an "easy" 4.5 hour marathon, then you should train for a 4 hour marathon. If you train for a 4.5 hour marathon, you will find running that pace on raceday will be harder than you probably would like.

If you want to make the training easy for 4 months, then you can do that and just see what feels easy. Whatever that is, is probably likely going to be doable on race day. Because if you taper a bit and have race day energy, whatever pace you run for 20 in training....should translate to 26.2 on race day.

Hope this makes sense.

1) Not die
2) Enjoy the race.

My first instinct would be to do your Hanson prescribed "GMP" runs at 9:30 and the rest of your runs at the 10:00-10:30 or slower.

That would be one faster run per week with a long run still thrown in there. Based on your experience, you should be able to handle that 9:30 pace and that will make your "true" GMP pace feel easier.

1) Not die
2) Enjoy the race.

My thought: Since hills are “intervals in disguise,” make active use of the rolling hills in your area …either push hard’ish on a few hills during an occasional run or maybe once a week focus on some hill repeats.

1) Not die
2) Enjoy the race.

The entire concept of Hanson's is the plan is built on different paces for different reasons and they all come together on raceday for a great race.

Therefore, its really not effective to not do the harder paces of this plan. Either you do Hanson's or you don't. If you don't, that's cool, but I don't think you can expect results if you blow off the tempo and/or interval work.

For me, I enjoy the grind of the plan and how it builds on each other and you get better each week. No doubt it is a grind though. I can't pretend it will be easy (to be fair, I do the higher mileage advanced plan).

Hanson's is frequently mentioned as not being accurate on the title of "beginner's plan". Do not think the beginners will be easy, because it is not.

If you want to run an "easy" 4.5 hour marathon, then you should train for a 4 hour marathon. If you train for a 4.5 hour marathon, you will find running that pace on raceday will be harder than you probably would like.

If you want to make the training easy for 4 months, then you can do that and just see what feels easy. Whatever that is, is probably likely going to be doable on race day. Because if you taper a bit and have race day energy, whatever pace you run for 20 in training....should translate to 26.2 on race day.

Hope this makes sense.
Just peeked at the Hanson's beginner plan for fun - HFS! :lmao: I think my calves would turn to stone.

Well, I just wanted to thank you guys again. I've looked over all the responses and this is basically what I've come up with using all the advice:

For the first few weeks, I'm going to just do what keeps me going out there, but I can't take it too easy because even running a 4:30 marathon won't be easy and if I train for a 4:30 marathon, it's going to not be as easy as I like, so I should run some of my runs at 9:30 GMP pace even though it's not really Hanson's if I don't do it all the way which is why I should also do hills since those are basically intervals and I have hills all over the place here and if I get a nice day of weather, I should let it rip.

Basically, I need to "just run".

Well, I just wanted to thank you guys again. I've looked over all the responses and this is basically what I've come up with using all the advice:

For the first few weeks, I'm going to just do what keeps me going out there, but I can't take it too easy because even running a 4:30 marathon won't be easy and if I train for a 4:30 marathon, it's going to not be as easy as I like, so I should run some of my runs at 9:30 GMP pace even though it's not really Hanson's if I don't do it all the way which is why I should also do hills since those are basically intervals and I have hills all over the place here and if I get a nice day of weather, I should let it rip.

and don't be a pooosay.

Doing you proud, @pbm107 . A student of mine from a fall class at North Central College is a top runner for this accomplished school. I'd posted that he achieved All-American status in the fall following a really strong performance at the national XC meet in the snow and extreme cold. He just ran the 10K at the spring D III outdoor nationals up in Rochester, NY and finished 12th overall. He ran a 29:36 ...4:46/mile for the 10K. Basically - 70/71 seconds per 400m. :loco: And during the last 200 meters ...he vomited. :thumbup:

Glad to see you embracing the wisdom of the thread :hifive:

Doing you proud, @pbm107 . A student of mine from a fall class at North Central College is a top runner for this accomplished school. I'd posted that he achieved All-American status in the fall following a really strong performance at the national XC meet in the snow and extreme cold. He just ran the 10K at the spring D III outdoor nationals up in Rochester, NY and finished 12th overall. He ran a 29:36 ...4:46/mile for the 10K. Basically - 70/71 seconds per 400m. :loco: And during the last 200 meters ...he vomited. :thumbup:
I am glad I am not alone, but it’s the most frustrating vomiting before the finish. Your student is crazy fast, I love that I’m the vomit guy around here.

Signed up for a 5k on 6/3.

Weirdly, I've never really raced this distance...just the solo virtual one we did during COVID.

This appears to be a new event, so I don't know anything about it. It's run by "Hometown" that puts these on all over the country, so hopefully they know what they are doing. It's also a 10k and HM, so it should have a decent number of people.

I wanted to do something fast since I've been doing so much distance training. We will see how it goes :oldunsure:

Suck. It's going to be hot - hi/lo of 90/64 on the day. It's a morning race, but still...

Out here watching / volunteering as a court marshal for the para cycling World Cup is inspiring. Various handicaps, amputees, back injuries, etc. had the opportunity to talk a bit with a couple of the coaches from Belgium and the Netherlands. Truly inspirational.
I’m not sure I’m adding any value “blocking traffic” At this spot, with 8-10 coaches, paramedics and a tv crew right here but it’s been fun to watch.

Got back out twice over the long weekend, although was 0/2 on successfully getting to 7 miles. Cut short at 6 and 5 on the two days. It was warm both days, but for whatever reason things went from feeling fine to being cooked between the 3 and 5 mile mark. I guess I'm not fully recovered yet. Deep breaths still feel off, so it's probably related. The other weird thing is that sometime in my hiatus I developed tightness/slight pain in my right hamstring. I could feel it during my runs, but no pulling or sharp pains, so I'm hopeful it will be fine as long as I don't do anything stupid. Still, good to be back out there. Also, laying out on the porch with a glass of ice water post-run on a hot day is about as good as it gets.

I think you've gotten all of the good advice you need out of the smart folk here, but I just wanted to add 1) it's good to see you back on my strava feed, and 2) I think you might surprise yourself at the end of this cycle. You've got a lot of built-up fitness locked away from your past exploits, and it may come back more quickly than you expect.

You've got a lot of built-up fitness locked away from your past exploits, and it may come back more quickly than you expect.
Does that go for me, too?
Prefacing it with the fact that I know nothing, but I think it all depends on your expectations. If you're trying to challenge your past PRs, obviously that's a much longer path back. If you're trying to get in the realm of the last time you ran Boston, you might not be that far off.

Hello June - Mostly an up May with 193 miles over 28.5 ish hours running. Unplanned rest yesterday to try to ease a low Achilles/heel pain that lingers that I might have triggered doing a million lunges over the weekend like a moron. First couple weeks of marathon block are not workout heavy so I should try to be smart.

YTD comps vs 2022 and 2021 are faster by 5 and 12 seconds per mile respectively at same AHR and more elevation - 32k this year vs 29k and 21k. 📈

Finished a fairly active May despite Covid in the first week. We had a different activity challenge at work. Split the company into 4 teams and the team with the most miles earned a nice contribution for their charity of choice. Walking and running miles counted for 1 mile each. Cycling miles were divided by 3. I thought I was contributing a fair amount at ~150 (unadjusted) miles/week, but finished third on our team out of 20. Our team took first. :flex:

Did a century event this past Sunday. I passed a couple of guys on a big hill and then a couple of miles later they passed me as part of drafting party with about 8 other bikes. I jumped in with this and got about 10 miles with real cyclists. We were doing 22-23 mph which is ####ing flying by my standards. No issues for me hanging with the effort in the draft, but it was nerve wracking my first time trying to stay a couple of feet with the person in front. I can see why people try to do that regularly.

We were doing 22-23 mph which is ####ing flying by my standards. No issues for me hanging with the effort in the draft, but it was nerve wracking my first time trying to stay a couple of feet with the person in front. I can see why people try to do that regularly.
It's amazing what a 35% easier effort feels like when wheel sucking, isn't it? It's awesome until you rotate to the front. Congrats on the century - it is an accomplishment to see the odometer roll over into the triple digits.

-----

On my end I am 95 miles into the week so far. 5 hour gravel ride Monday and a fast road ride Tuesday. Been very light on activity the two weeks before that as I managed to pull a glute on the trainer. Seriously, how does one injure themselves on a trainer? :bag: That's like a warmup for a Darwin Award.

My May and YTD mileage took a hit with the calf injury, but I'm back at it now. What's noteworthy is that my YTD elevation from running is about 23,500 ft. Add in the few weeks of walking (and discovery of a very good-sized training hill), my total elevation is now over 26,600. That easily eclipses my second best year ever (23K) and should get me to a new elevation record of over 30K ft by the end of June! Along the way, I've added efficiency by dropping my cadence by 3 or 4 steps per minute. What I need to be doing now, though, is focusing on more specific training - tempo runs and track intervals.

You forgot the, "and take that to the bank brohans" at the end.

Pretty nervous about my 5K on Saturday, which is my first real race attempt at this distance.

Weather - It's looking like it will be just under 70 at the gun.

From the virtual 5k, I had read that if you can do an interval workout of 5x1000, you should be able to run the full 5k at this pace (which is exactly what i did for the virtual race, but on a net downhill). I ran a 3x2000 at a ~6:15 pace, so I theoretically should be able to hit that pace if the temperature was not a factor.

Two problems

1) I was pretty spent at the end of each of these intervals, so not sure how this will translate. In fairness, I had done shorter and faster workouts 2 days before all my at pace workouts, so I'm banking on having fresher legs for the race.

2) I don't think I like the my Endorphin Pro or Pro 2 shoes at this pace. It feels a little unnatural...like my stride timing isn't synced with the natural roll effect of the shoe. I'm considering wearing Kinvara 13s because I have done the 5k/10k workouts in those for my marathon training. But, it seems silly not to wear the Pros.

Have never ran any race at all. Have been running some long/longer distances lately (6 mile mins, no more than 9 miles, just trying to shed a little more weight), coming up with some sort of nagging injuries, thinking here would be a good place to get some advice.

So first off, my left leg is kind of "on the hip" slightly wrong, so when I walk/run, the left foot/leg kind of goes "in" at a little bit more of an angle. Think you look down at your feet, they both should kind of point the same direction and my left one points more toward the inside of my right foot. Not the biggest of deals, I have had this my whole life with no problems, but I'm 43 now and maybe this is the cause of some light "runner's knee" lately. A little bit of yoga I have found helps get my "leg on right" if you will. Currently on a 2 week hiatus. Bought one of those knee brace/strap things that go right below your patella, seems to help a lot.

More concerning at least to me, is some acute achilles tendonitis in the other leg/foot. I don't really feel anything at all, but when I do stretch the calves out, this one sort of feels a very slight burning sensation, right at the base of my right heel, slightly above.

I guess my question is "how concerning is the achilles tendonitis, and besides resting in, what can you do?" I also bought a sort of sock/compressiong sleeve that sorta helps, I just don't want to be dealing with this "forever" when I go on runs moving forward.

Any responses are appreciated! I think I'd like to try a run/race this summer sometime but also want to be healthy healthy first before so.

Pretty nervous about my 5K on Saturday, which is my first real race attempt at this distance.

Weather - It's looking like it will be just under 70 at the gun.

From the virtual 5k, I had read that if you can do an interval workout of 5x1000, you should be able to run the full 5k at this pace (which is exactly what i did for the virtual race, but on a net downhill). I ran a 3x2000 at a ~6:15 pace, so I theoretically should be able to hit that pace if the temperature was not a factor.

Two problems

1) I was pretty spent at the end of each of these intervals, so not sure how this will translate. In fairness, I had done shorter and faster workouts 2 days before all my at pace workouts, so I'm banking on having fresher legs for the race.

2) I don't think I like the my Endorphin Pro or Pro 2 shoes at this pace. It feels a little unnatural...like my stride timing isn't synced with the natural roll effect of the shoe. I'm considering wearing Kinvara 13s because I have done the 5k/10k workouts in those for my marathon training. But, it seems silly not to wear the Pros.
Confidence in shoes should probably win the choice, unless the Pros are telling you to go faster. Were you running those Kinvara speed workouts at these paces in marathon block, prob not quite as quick I’m guessing.

Whatever you’re using for these more recent workouts (that 3x2000 is a great sign) probably is the best bet.

Hydrate/electrolyte big day/night before to feel confident your are ‘good’ in the morning and faster you are done the sooner you get to the cold towelz.
Good luck!

Have never ran any race at all. Have been running some long/longer distances lately (6 mile mins, no more than 9 miles, just trying to shed a little more weight), coming up with some sort of nagging injuries, thinking here would be a good place to get some advice.

So first off, my left leg is kind of "on the hip" slightly wrong, so when I walk/run, the left foot/leg kind of goes "in" at a little bit more of an angle. Think you look down at your feet, they both should kind of point the same direction and my left one points more toward the inside of my right foot. Not the biggest of deals, I have had this my whole life with no problems, but I'm 43 now and maybe this is the cause of some light "runner's knee" lately. A little bit of yoga I have found helps get my "leg on right" if you will. Currently on a 2 week hiatus. Bought one of those knee brace/strap things that go right below your patella, seems to help a lot.

More concerning at least to me, is some acute achilles tendonitis in the other leg/foot. I don't really feel anything at all, but when I do stretch the calves out, this one sort of feels a very slight burning sensation, right at the base of my right heel, slightly above.

I guess my question is "how concerning is the achilles tendonitis, and besides resting in, what can you do?" I also bought a sort of sock/compressiong sleeve that sorta helps, I just don't want to be dealing with this "forever" when I go on runs moving forward.

Any responses are appreciated! I think I'd like to try a run/race this summer sometime but also want to be healthy healthy first before so.
You’ve got a unique physiology (we all do) so a PT is a best bet to check you out.

But here’s 3 cents You create some space and perhaps find some relief for the knee with rolling or stick upstream and downstream and I see a lot of recommendations for a move where you lean back on a wall and do toe raises to engage strengthen the tibialis & quad and it helps relieve runners knee. I also like a lax ball or similar behind the knee and squeeze. Seems to free up more space. Google couch stretch if you want to see stars from stretching your hip flexors and quad, may help with upstream tensions.

Achilles/low heel pain is something I work with doing a lot of calf rolling and foot rolling on a lax ball. And it’s usually much less of an issue if I do a decent warmup before running.
Good luck Terp.

@xulf mile 1 is all about running smart, mile 2 is all about focus, and mile 3 is all about embracing the suck. You're gonna feel warm mile 2 and not good mile 3. The key to a well run 5K is being mentally prepared for those two barriers then over coming them anyway by not slowing down.

@xulf mile 1 is all about running smart, mile 2 is all about focus, and mile 3 is all about embracing the suck. You're gonna feel warm mile 2 and not good mile 3. The key to a well run 5K is being mentally prepared for those two barriers then over coming them anyway by not slowing down.
WRONG!

Mile 1 is all about pacing with Galen Rupp - this running **** is sooooo easy. Mile 2 is to mildly pull back as you have an inkling that you may have started out a shade fast, but hey things still feel ok. Mile 3 is the grim realization that you're an idiot and a HR of 220 isn't sustainable. The last .1 is reserved for vomiting.

Then, of course, is the recovery 12 pack of Yuengling. Success!

Users who are viewing this thread