What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Well, I'm officially aggravated about my race.
Feeling you GB. Perhaps you’d like to subscribe to my newsletter “2024 Seattle marathons in September?!”.

Glad runs have come back more to normal. Travel, big race and illness stresses surely made your raceday less than your fitness.
Oh God, is it a downhill race?
You tell me, you ran the same course under a different branding it looks like.
@gianmarco it's the "Tunnel" race. Same course as Jack & Jill. I forget which race allegedly ripped off the other.

So I just paid $8.99 for a race photo. It actually looked pretty good from the small sample I could see. I usually think I look terrible in race photos.

After purchase I was able to zoom in. Because of my cold and, perhaps, the fact that this was taken late in the race, I had a giant trail of snot running down my face. :rant:

So I just paid $8.99 for a race photo. It actually looked pretty good from the small sample I could see. I usually think I look terrible in race photos.

After purchase I was able to zoom in. Because of my cold and, perhaps, the fact that this was taken late in the race, I had a giant trail of snot running down my face. :rant:
:pics: Needed

Tales of the off season for a triathlete with ADHD.
I’m actually really enjoying zwift right now but I had intended to focus on the swim and weights.
Then I decided to sign up for my favorite half marathon - oak barrel, April 6. So if I’m thinking right, I need to start training for it December 16 (16 weeks out). Is 8 weeks of really focusing on the run sufficient?
Which gives me a little less than 2 months to hit Zwift and swim, or just enjoy an “off season”.
After oak barrel comes tri season. I could focus on the swim then.
So now I’m trying to figure out how to best train for a good HM while cycling or swimming.
I kinda regret signing up for oak barrel already, it might have destroyed my off season plans. Or I do what I did last year which was just run enough to finish the race. :wall:

Last edited:

That's pretty much every photo of me running. <snot over sweat>

Haven't checked in here much lately and ran even less, was anyone in indy for the Monumental today? One day I'll get back to running again... one day!

This week I was following Big's Backyard Ultra. It started at the same time (Saturday, 0700 CDT) as my backyard ultra.

I did 10 yards in mine.

The winner of Big's (Harvey Lewis) finished earlier today. After having done 108 yards. 450 miles. New WR.

Strava log from the last DNF. 75,000 calories. :ROFLMAO:
Are these guys going without sleep for 4 days? And what effect does the calorie burn have on their body? Google told me that 3,500 calories equals roughly 1 pound of fat.

Ok so I ran my 10k yesterday. My friend had heard I was running it and decided to join last minute, which was a nice surprise to have a friend there and to also have someone to travel to the race with. Route was two loops around Governors Island, which if folks don’t know about is a small Island in NYC harbor. It has some amazing views of lower Manhattan and the Statute of Liberty. There are a few pics from race and views on my strava page if anyone is interested.

As for the race, it was unseasonably warm in NYC yesterday (actually hit 80). Since race was early this was actual a big plus as I could just wear tshirt and shorts vs worrying about an extra shirt or other clothing. Also since it was a Halloween run a good portion of folks were running in costumes.

I was very happy with results as was hoping to do it under an hour and managed 58.14 which is PR for me. It was a crowded race so got off to very slow start dealing with crowds but once got into open I was able to do a nice pace for me of around 9:30. Then around the beginning of mile two a guy passed me in a most interesting man in the world custom wearing jeans, a jacket, dress shirt and drinking from a Dos Equis bottle. He also had about 10 years on me and was probably in his mid 50s with white hair to match the actor. I had joked with my friend about that costume before the race and how he was probably going to beat us. Of course at this point I couldn’t lose to a guy in a sport coat and drinking from a beer bottle and picked up thepace and basically ran 9:10 to 9:20 rest of race with a short burst at end. Finished with a 9:20 pace and just ahead of the most interesting man in the world. I was really surprised and happy with my result.

Afterwards, it was block party day for my street in Brooklyn so spent the rest of the day and into the evening drinking beer and BBQing. Even had a Dos Equis in honor of my competition.

Ok so I ran my 10k yesterday. My friend had heard I was running it and decided to join last minute, which was a nice surprise to have a friend there and to also have someone to travel to the race with. Route was two loops around Governors Island, which if folks don’t know about is a small Island in NYC harbor. It has some amazing views of lower Manhattan and the Statute of Liberty. There are a few pics from race and views on my strava page if anyone is interested.

As for the race, it was unseasonably warm in NYC yesterday (actually hit 80). Since race was early this was actual a big plus as I could just wear tshirt and shorts vs worrying about an extra shirt or other clothing. Also since it was a Halloween run a good portion of folks were running in costumes.

I was very happy with results as was hoping to do it under an hour and managed 58.14 which is PR for me. It was a crowded race so got off to very slow start dealing with crowds but once got into open I was able to do a nice pace for me of around 9:30. Then around the beginning of mile two a guy passed me in a most interesting man in the world custom wearing jeans, a jacket, dress shirt and drinking from a Dos Equis bottle. He also had about 10 years on me and was probably in his mid 50s with white hair to match the actor. I had joked with my friend about that costume before the race and how he was probably going to beat us. Of course at this point I couldn’t lose to a guy in a sport coat and drinking from a beer bottle and picked up thepace and basically ran 9:10 to 9:20 rest of race with a short burst at end. Finished with a 9:20 pace and just ahead of the most interesting man in the world. I was really surprised and happy with my result.

Afterwards, it was block party day for my street in Brooklyn so spent the rest of the day and into the evening drinking beer and BBQing. Even had a Dos Equis in honor of my competition.
Awesome, congratulations!!

I ran to Governor's Island a couple months ago and agree, it's really nice with some great views. Neat place for a race.

My BIL, SIL, and nieces just moved into a new house in Deerfield...out from more of the city part of Chicago. We are heading there for Thanksgiving, and like an idiot, I have convinced people to do the North Shore Turkey Trot with me - https://northshoreturkeytrot.com/

BIL and SIL are likely just going to walk it and my wife is still nursing her foot injury from the HM...so really it's just me going balls out from our group.

I did some at hopeful 5k yesterday and it really sucked. Hopefully I can get in some better runs before the race. At least if I puke after it, that just means more room for the good stuff later.

I know we got some Chicagoans in here...but I think @Juxtatarot and @tri-man 47 aren't close to this race.

Well la-di-da the new guy just shows up here nonchalant and drops a sub 10k and oh by the way got to see our gift from the french at the same time all the while running a faster pace then he had planned because he's right you just can't lose to a man wearing a suit and drinking a beer which means our guy here got a PR and was able to rub the most interesting man's face into the trail of dust our hero left behind..........

Awesome job and great race report. Nothing better than having a great time AND beating your expectations. Congrats!

My BIL, SIL, and nieces just moved into a new house in Deerfield...out from more of the city part of Chicago. We are heading there for Thanksgiving, and like an idiot, I have convinced people to do the North Shore Turkey Trot with me - https://northshoreturkeytrot.com/

BIL and SIL are likely just going to walk it and my wife is still nursing her foot injury from the HM...so really it's just me going balls out from our group.

I did some at hopeful 5k yesterday and it really sucked. Hopefully I can get in some better runs before the race. At least if I puke after it, that just means more room for the good stuff later.

I know we got some Chicagoans in here...but I think @Juxtatarot and @tri-man 47 aren't close to this race.
Cool! I’d considering joining you but I’m running the Turkey Trot in Naperville (30 miles west). My mom (76) and I have AG titles to defend.

If you tie a future visit to Chicago with a race, though, let me know!

Cool! I’d considering joining you but I’m running the Turkey Trot in Naperville (30 miles west). My mom (76) and I have AG titles to defend.

If you tie a future visit to Chicago with a race, though, let me know!
You have her tracking info? Asking for @tri-man 47.

Let me think about this. The Naperville race would be much closer, and I haven't raced with @Juxtatarot for quite a while (nor met his mom) ...but it be great to connect with you while you're in town.

I do have a 5K coming up on the 4th (Juxt, I've neglected to mention that I'm returning to Catigny for some race redemption after last year's horrible effort), and it'd be good to catch a Turkey Trot a few weeks later.

Excellent!!! :pickle:

I seem to recall a story or two of @El Floppo running around the Brooklyn docks to the east while searching for a porta potty.

This week I was following Big's Backyard Ultra. It started at the same time (Saturday, 0700 CDT) as my backyard ultra.

I did 10 yards in mine.

The winner of Big's (Harvey Lewis) finished earlier today. After having done 108 yards. 450 miles. New WR.

Strava log from the last DNF. 75,000 calories. :ROFLMAO:
Are these guys going without sleep for 4 days? And what effect does the calorie burn have on their body? Google told me that 3,500 calories equals roughly 1 pound of fat.

They try to take some naps during the 10-15 minute breaks they get between yards. So yeah essentially no sleep.

I seem to recall a story or two of @El Floppo running around the Brooklyn docks to the east while searching for a porta potty.

Congrats redwes! Great day for it- and a PR on top! I always wanted to do one of the Gov Island races- it really is an amazing spot in the city.

I miss all you guys and the thread... Thanks for @ing me, Tri.

I've gotten pants are too tight out of shape in the last couple years while I've flaked on rehabbing my Achilles. I actually ripped an old button down shirt at work just reaching for something 😆. Looking and feelimg bleh. Been really jonesing to get out there. Maybe Red and I can get a run in soon...

Let me think about this. The Naperville race would be much closer, and I haven't raced with @Juxtatarot for quite a while (nor met his mom) ...but it be great to connect with you while you're in town.

I do have a 5K coming up on the 4th (Juxt, I've neglected to mention that I'm returning to Catigny for some race redemption after last year's horrible effort), and it'd be good to catch a Turkey Trot a few weeks later.
I think I've written off that Cantigny race for future consideration. Those golf course path turns slowed me down too much. Good luck though! Hopefully a lot less windy than last year.

It would be nice to see you on Thanksgiving if you choose the closer option. 5,000+ runners, so there is a lot of competition.

Congrats redwes! Great day for it- and a PR on top! I always wanted to do one of the Gov Island races- it really is an amazing spot in the city.

I miss all you guys and the thread... Thanks for @ing me, Tri.

I've gotten pants are too tight out of shape in the last couple years while I've flaked on rehabbing my Achilles. I actually ripped an old button down shirt at work just reaching for something 😆. Looking and feelimg bleh. Been really jonesing to get out there. Maybe Red and I can get a run in soon...

Would definitely due that

I set a mileage PR this month 351 besting my 342 from October of 2015. The training cycle went well for me and I’m confident that I’m in PR shape. I’ll wait for the weather forecast to set my marathon goal, but it will likely be 6:35 pace. I have a 10k tune-up race this weekend and I’m looking to set a 10k PR (36:43 from 2015). The weather forecast for Sunday looks good, and I think I could go sub 36.

I set a mileage PR this month 351 besting my 342 from October of 2015. The training cycle went well for me and I’m confident that I’m in PR shape. I’ll wait for the weather forecast to set my marathon goal, but it will likely be 6:35 pace. I have a 10k tune-up race this weekend and I’m looking to set a 10k PR (36:43 from 2015). The weather forecast for Sunday looks good, and I think I could go sub 36.
Rooting really hard for you.

For sure but I hope you back off the mileage a lot this week. Good luck!

For sure but I hope you back off the mileage a lot this week. Good luck!
Yeah I should end up with around 62 for the week. The last couple of times I did this race as a tune-up I ran my 17 on Friday ahead of the race on Sunday. I hope to cheat a bit and get the 17 in on Thursday.

I took a bit of a risk Sunday by running with a group for a first time and ended up running the 22 much faster than planned. I regret doing it, after running 10 @ MP Wednesday and at the end of a 85 mile week that effort was too much.

I'm in Deerfield right now. I work here. I haven't run that event, but my neighbor is involved in Highland Park gov't and usually is at that event. I've heard it's pretty good. Good luck with the event - I'll probably be tied up with family stuff that day but I'll be there if they add a bike category.

It is awesome watching you kill your goals/PRs right now. Even though I'm a godless heathen, I'm definitely praying to the weather gods for your race day.

Last two months of the OZ challenge routine.

December will be a rotation through the body parts.

November, I (we) will be doing the butt.
When you get that notion, put your backfield in motion, hey!

I’ll also be doing a “no-booze-Vember”

Haven’t set the page up yet but will later today (I think)

I set up the Nov tab in the spreadsheet, boss. We're ready to go!
Why thank you good sir.

NYC this Sunday, race and pace fans. We’ve got a packed field of elites and our own elite pacer taking it to the streets.
Preview below here. 8am est on espn2 for what is usually pretty ****ty coverage but my girl Becs from Peleton will be there as part of the coverage so give it a try.

Ive stumbled into top Canadian Cam Levins interviews this week and he seems likable and fast and running obscene volume in training following 2:05:xx at Olympics.

Knocked out a little run this morning. Perfect weather - 42 and no wind. Starting to feel better - got another shot in the neck this past week, an extra run, and 5.5 miles today. Played a different playlist this morning and was motivated by "I will do anything for you, but I won't do that" when it came on and thought of @JShare87 . :headbang:

Plus not as much drinking beer this week. On the upswing. Also:

1. Farmers Market this morning. Coming to the end of the good stuff. Was able to get tomatoes, green peppers, onions, taters, apples, long beans, cilantro, lettuce and cukes.

2. On the QT for a big phat coke.

3. Back to Farmers Market because I overhead my lettuce guy say his water pump broke so I brought him some tools to use that he will give back next week when I see him again.

4. Over to Advance Auto Parts to grab him a water pump, gasket, and anti-cease lube so he can fix this truck.

5. Back to the Farmers Market to drop off his parts.

Back home to do some chores and then off to cook a tailgate at 2:00 for my 15 year old son's varsity hockey game tonight. Only sophomore on the varsity and he's kicking ***.

Also, my senior boy committed to Concordia University in Wisconsin this week to play football as a kicker. One of these days I'll tell you guys the story of how his high school football coach let the sophomore kid kick this year while my son got three offers to kick in college.

Alls well that ends well, and he will be at an excellent school with a good football team with some coaches that wanted him and made him FEEL wanted. Couldn't be more proud of him and the man he has become.

Plus, that brings us closer to a Wisconsin move. 80-90% sure we are making the move in late May/June. So if anyone needs to hire a great guy that can work remotely and doesn't care what he does.....well......I know a guy who works hard and shows up every day and puts in an honest day's work.

Have a great weekend all. Onward and upward I always say! :thumbup:

I am going to bail on my 10k tuneup tomorrow due to what I think is a minor calf strain. I felt it grab when carrying down laundry Sunday afternoon. I hoped it was just a cramp. I walk around without any pain, but noticed it tightening up during my 17 attempt on Thursday. Took yesterday off, felt okay today but noticed it when I ran on uneven surfaces like grass.

I hope this is minor and I won’t need it for the marathon, but I am considering trying out a calf sleeve. I know some of you guys wear them, any recommendations?

Cantigny 5K this am ...first race of 2023, actually! Ran a decent 22:35 (7:13/mi) for a comfortable AG win. @Juxtatarot , I'm leaning toward the Naperville 5K Turkey Trot. I got a start on some true race training in recent weeks and would like to see how I can do with additional focus for a few weeks (and on a course that doesn't weave so much).

NYC this Sunday, race and pace fans. We’ve got a packed field of elites and our own elite pacer taking it to the streets.
Preview below here. 8am est on espn2 for what is usually pretty ****ty coverage but my girl Becs from Peleton will be there as part of the coverage so give it a try.

Ive stumbled into top Canadian Cam Levins interviews this week and he seems likable and fast and running obscene volume in training following 2:05:xx at Olympics.

Marathon day always one of my favorites. I will be watching folks run up 4th avenue in BK. Gotta a few folks need to cheer along.

I am going to bail on my 10k tuneup tomorrow due to what I think is a minor calf strain. I felt it grab when carrying down laundry Sunday afternoon. I hoped it was just a cramp. I walk around without any pain, but noticed it tightening up during my 17 attempt on Thursday. Took yesterday off, felt okay today but noticed it when I ran on uneven surfaces like grass.

I hope this is minor and I won’t need it for the marathon, but I am considering trying out a calf sleeve. I know some of you guys wear them, any recommendations?

I like CEP the best, but they are pricey

I just got a pair of these to try out and they aren't too bad. Not as thick, but good tightness...and way cheaper.

Last edited:
FBGs Best 2023:

Mile - ???
2 Mile - ???
5K - pbm107 17:21
10K - gruecd 45:53
Half-marathon - Juxtatrot 1:19:14
Marathon - Zasada 3:13

Is this up-to-date? Anyone with better times?

pbm107, you probably run the mile in around 5 minutes? Let me know if you (or anyone else) have 1 or 2 mile times. I finally biked over to a public track yesterday but there was a high school football game. I'm running 3-4 times a week now. I don't feel like I'm improving much but I still plan to get on that leader board before the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread