What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

Haddonfield Adrenaline 5K Race Report

After having some success/fun last summer racing a few 5ks without any real 5k specific training I decided that this race would be the goal race of the season. Training went okay, I found I had tough time time running fast early in the morning when it was cold, so some workouts where run on the treadmill or during lunch when it was a bit warmer. I have been dealing with some left knee soreness after playing a little basketball with my son about a month ago. It kind of feels like runners knee that I have experienced in the past that usually clears up after a day or two of rest. It didn’t impact me on race day as I took 2 ibuprofen the night before, but I want to get this cleared up before I start increasing mileage again.

PR going into this race is 17:22, but sub 17 is on my bucket list which is 5:28 pace.

This is probably the most competitive 5k in the Philadelphia area, which I ran before in 2018 when my 17:30 got 71st place. With that in mind I didn’t lineup too close to the front at the start, but I was probably too far back as I had to run around too many people the first quarter mile and my difference between gun and chip time was 8 seconds vs 2-4 seconds for those I finished near.

My race plan was to run the first 2 miles as close to 5:28 pace as possible, but when I got to a half mile at that pace it was clear that it was going to be a challenge to maintain it. I got to the first mile marker at 5:29 thinking I still had a chance. Mile 2 I did my best and really didn’t look at my watch much, Strava had this as my slowest mile 5:40. It seems like this was everyone’s slowest mile with a couple of small hills, so I guess it is understandable. Mile 3 I knew sub 17 is out of the question but I just wanted to secure a PR and finished it at 5:33.

I ended up at 17:11 (video), an 11 second PR, 80th place overall and 3rd in my age group. According to the McMillan Calculator this is my best race result. I plan on taking today and probably tomorrow off from running hoping that clears up the knee issue ahead of Broad Street training.

There were some really impressive performances at this race. A 14 year old ran a 15:35, the overall winner was 14:35, but the most impressive per age percentage was the female winner at 15:48.

I ended up at 17:11 (video), an 11 second PR, 80th place overall and 3rd in my age group.
Wow. Incredible performance, and tough field. Do you find that it helps you to pace at all? Or is it immaterial?

Congrats. #BMF. You're just killing it over the last 18 months.
The competition definitely helps with pacing, especially after the first mile. Like any race people go out to fast in the first, but after that you’re kind of pulled along with the rest of the crowd.

There was another impressive performance that day by my buddy Steve. Going into this race his PR was 20:04 and he pulled off a 19:01. It is very likely that he and my sister will qualify for Boston during Philly this year, so I should running Boston 2026.

Five finishers of the Barkley this year, including the first ever woman! She finished with a whole 99 seconds to spare against the 60 hour cutoff. Incredible.
Video of this.

Those who go out on the last loop have to go in alternate/opposite directions. So whoever heads out first chooses the easiest direction, and any others then have to alternate. Clockwise was easiest this year. Jared Campbell, who is the only three time finisher ever (now 4), was in camp at the same time as Jasmine. He was ready to go, but asked her if she was ready and wanted to go first so she could go clockwise. Highly doubtful she would have made it without that.

Incredible moment

Last edited:
I'm running my first marathon since 2019 in three weeks. I'm kind of in a weird place. I had some calf issues early in the year and my training has been lighter than it ever used to be for a marathon. I only had 201 miles for January and 171 for February. March will be more but these are nothing like the 300-mile months a used to run. I also never felt right to run tempos which have often been a staple of my training.

That said, I seem to be in sneaky good shape. I averaged marathon-ish pace for 18 miles yesterday and felt OK. Despite the training volume and concerns about my endurance, I have some confidence that I can run sub 3:00 assuming I handle the carb-loading and race intake OK. I suppose it's possible I could run about 5 minutes faster than that but it seems risky. It is interesting how I'm faster on less volume these last few years. It's hard to have a good handle on exactly what I can do.

I'm running my first marathon since 2019 in three weeks. I'm kind of in a weird place. I had some calf issues early in the year and my training has been lighter than it ever used to be for a marathon. I only had 201 miles for January and 171 for February. March will be more but these are nothing like the 300-mile months a used to run. I also never felt right to run tempos which have often been a staple of my training.

That said, I seem to be in sneaky good shape. I averaged marathon-ish pace for 18 miles yesterday and felt OK. Despite the training volume and concerns about my endurance, I have some confidence that I can run sub 3:00 assuming I handle the carb-loading and race intake OK. I suppose it's possible I could run about 5 minutes faster than that but it seems risky. It is interesting how I'm faster on less volume these last few years. It's hard to have a good handle on exactly what I can do.
I think you can go sub 3 too, your endurance monster profile works in your favor with the marathon. I also think it helps that when healthy you have sub 2:50 ability, so you have plenty of margin.

It’s hard to believe that you haven’t run a marathon since 2019. Yesterday’s run was impressive, I hope you recover well from it.

Kinda tied to the encouraging approach of @Juxtatarot 's less-is-more training:

I follow several top AGers on Strava, and one of them just picked up shin splints ...four weeks before running London. Oof. He reached out to me for thoughts on how to approach this coming month (and my response was basically: Shut it down as much as needed/possible for the next three weeks, and make a quick assessment before crossing the pond). But I'm not feeling optimistic for him, particularly if tendons were strained. In terms of the above context: He had run a solid 20 miler a week ago with some strong pacing mixed in. Looking at his training, however, I see a dozen weeks of increasing mileage ...but no step-back/recovery weeks. It's probably a matter of overtraining, and his final long run led to a late injury. A tale of caution ...

Anyway, I'm glad that you've positioned yourself well, Juxt!!! Are you running the BQ.2 race in Batavia on the 13th? If so, I should be able to get out there for the first and last half hours of the race to cheer you on.

Kinda tied to the encouraging approach of @Juxtatarot 's less-is-more training:

I follow several top AGers on Strava, and one of them just picked up shin splints ...four weeks before running London. Oof. He reached out to me for thoughts on how to approach this coming month
:bowtie:
MY AGers …you young bucks can worry about your own competition.

And sad news about the bridge collapse out your way.

Anyone else's Strava feed all jacked up? I'm not sure if it's a weird algorithm thing or what, but it will show a bunch of old runs and I'll have to actively click on either the individual members or the FBG group to see the newer stuff. Even my own runs can be hard to find. Very annoying.

Writing out a 1st quarter update since I haven't shared anything in a while. I'd call what I've done since Dec 12 more than treading water, but I haven't made nearly the amount of progress as I hoped. I had a good stretch from late Jan-early March, but as has become standard operating procedure - had a setback. That damn calf again. BUT this setback was much more minor in comparison to previous ones, so I'm taking it as a sign the complimentary work (yoga and massages) I've been focusing on is working.

I've not regained my footing, pun unintended, since but I've only had one stretch > 2 days off and that was more schedule/mother nature driven than physical. I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or discouraged by the number of issues that have popped up this month. Left calf tightening up was first. Then right ham. Then hips/lower back. Then right calf. And now left knee. But again, an extra rest day seems to keep calming down the ailment d'jour. Next up is a pedicure and I'm leveling up the oofos to these as we approach peak track season. Hopefully I don't need even more maintenance than this, but we'll see...

I'm just barely over 300 miles so far this year and not much quality. I don't plan to up the volume until late May, but hopefully as we transition into actual spring I can integrate some SoS. Got a mini vaca to Vegas next week, which will hopefully represent the reset my body probably needs to get passed the aches and pains.

Hope all is well with the rest of you. Anyone got anything coming up besides juxt?

Writing out a 1st quarter update since I haven't shared anything in a while. I'd call what I've done since Dec 12 more than treading water, but I haven't made nearly the amount of progress as I hoped. I had a good stretch from late Jan-early March, but as has become standard operating procedure - had a setback. That damn calf again. BUT this setback was much more minor in comparison to previous ones, so I'm taking it as a sign the complimentary work (yoga and massages) I've been focusing on is working.

I've not regained my footing, pun unintended, since but I've only had one stretch > 2 days off and that was more schedule/mother nature driven than physical. I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or discouraged by the number of issues that have popped up this month. Left calf tightening up was first. Then right ham. Then hips/lower back. Then right calf. And now left knee. But again, an extra rest day seems to keep calming down the ailment d'jour. Next up is a pedicure and I'm leveling up the oofos to these as we approach peak track season. Hopefully I don't need even more maintenance than this, but we'll see...

I'm just barely over 300 miles so far this year and not much quality. I don't plan to up the volume until late May, but hopefully as we transition into actual spring I can integrate some SoS. Got a mini vaca to Vegas next week, which will hopefully represent the reset my body probably needs to get passed the aches and pains.

Hope all is well with the rest of you. Anyone got anything coming up besides juxt?
Running Boston for fun on April 15. Excited to see @Zasada experience his first Boston. 6 days after that, I'll lead a pace group at London Marathon.

Then finally in May after nearly 10 months of nothing but PT and easy runs, I will begin my training cycle for a early September BQ attempt with @bushdocda in Washington state.

Just FYI, your post made me look at those Oofos shoes and they actually have a few that are on sale for $59 (instead of $129). With a teacher discount through id.ME, just picked up a pair for $50.

So, take a look. And thanks for throwing up the Bat signal.

Anyone got anything coming up besides juxt?
I've got the local half coming up last Sunday in April. Assuming I don't get hit by the weather whammy, C goal is to beat PR of 1:32:45 from 2019, B goal is <1:32. I've been doing pbm-style calculations on HR data trying to figure out if there's realistically an A goal. My last two HMs were sufferfests, so I'm really trying to avoid that outcome. On the other hand, the layout of the course (downhill first half, uphill second half), makes planning for big negative splits foolish. We'll see if I successful solve for the balance.

I think @xulf has a half the day before me. I know he was having illnesses and such earlier in his training block - hopefully he's turned the corner there.

I've got the local half coming up last Sunday in April. Assuming I don't get hit by the weather whammy, C goal is to beat PR of 1:32:45 from 2019, B goal is <1:32. I've been doing pbm-style calculations on HR data trying to figure out if there's realistically an A goal. My last two HMs were sufferfests, so I'm really trying to avoid that outcome. On the other hand, the layout of the course (downhill first half, uphill second half), makes planning for big negative splits foolish. We'll see if I successful solve for the balance.

I think @xulf has a half the day before me. I know he was having illnesses and such earlier in his training block - hopefully he's turned the corner there.
Enjoy your 1:29:59

Enjoy your 1:29:59
I like that so many people here have specific roles :lmao:

Anyway, sub 90 has been a long term goal of mine, but I'm not sure it's in the cards. I'm 100% convinced I'm in better shaped than 2021 or 2022, when I went out at 7:00 and faded to 1:34-1:35 range. 2019 is trickier, especially because that was my old Garmin so the HR data is mostly trash, although I think I'm 80% convinced I'm in better shape than then as well. The safe strategy would probably be go out at 7:00 again, but I don't plan on really trying to kick it until ~10 miles in, so that would mean basically not even trying for sub 90 because I'm not running sub 20 for the last 5k. On the other end I think 6:52 over the first few miles would be foolishly optimistic and risk another HM where I fade and suffer the last 5 miles. I'm leaning towards a compromise of going out around 6:57, as if I run that over 10 miles a 20:29 5K would fulfill your prophesy, which seems more reasonable. I did do 6.5 miles at ~6:52 on 3/19, but those were pretty ideal conditions and I was feeling it pretty good by the end. I'm also one of those weird people who can hit close to race effort in training, so I rarely get any large unexpected "race day magic".

Sorry for the wall of text - it's been a frequent thought topic lately, and I try not to overbore the wife or coworkers with it. Boring you guys will have to do. Good to get it off my chest.

Yeah, my HM is on 4/27.

I started out with a shorter training cycle than usual then got sick...as you mentioned. I've been barreling through, but HM training is always exhausting with the amount of hard workouts. I've adapted to make it less strenuous than what I did last time, but it's still physically painful. I was so beat down after a terrible long run on Sunday that I took some time off and skipped my interval run this week. With that, I was well rested for 7 @ ghmp, which felt pretty darn good and was my best run of the cycle.

We will see how things finish up, but I'm not expecting a PR. Still going to go for <1:30, but I'm mostly training now to make sure I'm in shape for a BQ run this fall.

For you, I agree with @MAC_32, you got 1:29:59! At least your training runs show that is within reach. But, I get not wanting to blow up by going out too fast. If you have a pacer to latch on with, that may give you what you need. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you, your training has been very solid :hifive:

With that, I was well rested for 7 @ ghmp, which felt pretty darn good
Glad to hear. You've had a couple of runs that looked strong to my eye, but I have trouble judging because your HR is always so much lower than mine.

And thanks for the vote of confidence! My final plan is definitely still up in the air. My legs have been feeling a bit beat up (although the plan gave me a much needed cutback week), so maybe there's more there than I think. Between the race and the eclipse, I've got a lot of weather watching going on.

Hard 60 began yesterday.

My diet is just 5 veggies, no added sugar (so no ice cream or candy, etc), no alcohol, all that. With the family having a more specialized diet would be overly complicated.

Currently reading two non fiction books - differ we must and peanuts a golden celebration (might be cheating but I’ll do more than 10 pages)

Evening workouts are walks.

I won’t be taking a daily picture but weekly seems ok.

I have a couple local run club races to pick from or run all in April. I think a 10m, 10k and 15k depending on what kid soccer schedule looks like.
Will target 10k effort style workouts, strides and reintroduce long runs and phase into fall race training.

Running Boston for fun on April 15. Excited to see @Zasada experience his first Boston. 6 days after that, I'll lead a pace group at London Marathon.

Then finally in May after nearly 10 months of nothing but PT and easy runs, I will begin my training cycle for a early September BQ attempt with @bushdocda in Washington state.
Who’s coming with us??!!!

Which actual race and when?

Which actual race and when?
Tunnel Marathon on September 8 - LFG!!!!!

Spring is usually wet around here, but I can't remember a spring where there have been so many days where it just rained all day. I'm hoping to run this evening without getting soaked, but it's not looking good. To make things more annoying, most wet days have been like today where it's hovering around 40 and windy, rather than the other type of wet spring day we'll sometimes get where it's wet but 55-60. Blech. Almost makes me wish I'd kept my treadmill.

One
Hard 60 began yesterday.

My diet is just 5 veggies, no added sugar (so no ice cream or candy, etc), no alcohol, all that. With the family having a more specialized diet would be overly complicated.

Currently reading two non fiction books - differ we must and peanuts a golden celebration (might be cheating but I’ll do more than 10 pages)

one week in. Took the picture but not posting it this time.
Today’s workouts are easy due to the oak barrel HM tomorrow. It’s my fifth time running this thing and honestly probably the last.
I don’t feel any better despite not drinking but it’s only been a week. I do find I don’t miss it. So that’s helpful.

Today’s workouts are easy due to the oak barrel HM tomorrow.
Good luck man! Any specific goals?
1. To finish
2. Negative split
3. Better than last year, 1:48:30
Don’t see the splits, but 1 and 3 achieved. Nice job!
Thanks. I kept a solid pace, started slow and negative split. Which sounds better than it really is. Power was slightly less until the last mile.
I love this race, not sure if I’ll do it again. But it’s always fun to see friends there including our senior attorney. So I get to brown nose a bit. But I do like the man.

Hard 60 began yesterday.

Which 5, and why?

Hard 60 began yesterday.

Which 5, and why?
Any 5. It’s just a baseline, not specific or limited.

Got into the BK half this past week. Race is May 18th and going to start formal training schedule after I return from Telluride ski trip on March 23rd. Before then will try to keep up decent workout pace with a couple of 5k runs a week depending on weather as I don’t like to run when it is in 30s.
Ok well I am full on prep for Brooklyn Half-Marathon at this point. Race is just under 6 weeks away at this point and I am running three times a week with one "long-run" and two shorter runs (usually 3 to 4 miles but always over a 5k). Also, trying to cross train a bit using my Peloton by doing an endurance bike rides (a bit like heart rate zone 2 running) at least once a week and some Peloton strength classes on days I don't run.

I did just under 7 miles yesterday (6.9 miles as I miss judged my route a bit) and plan to ramp that up by a mile each week until I hit 10 miles (so 8 miles next week). I may do two weeks at 10 miles once I hit that distance and then dial down for last week or so before the race.

So far things seem to be going well though I do feel like **** after the long runs but my pace is slower then I had hoped. Of course this is my first half-marathon so more just going for running the whole thing but was hoping to tie my pace to my better 10k times per those charts you see out there but that doesn't seem likely.

Lastly, anyone have any advice on a knee support sleeve. My left knee always tends to hurt at the end of longer runs and honestly I have an old "drinking" injury where I hurt/sprained it drunk like 20 years ago. Feels fine next day but wondering if one of those compression sleeves might help a bit.

Last edited:
Weirdest thing. I somehow stopped doing my PT moves a couple weeks back and slowly started feeling like a tight bound and wound POS again.
Happy to report day 1 back on the wagon.
Ran a race Sunday as a progression and chased a 15 yr old kid the last mile or so. Didn’t catch him and my adductor is sore. Slap it high?

Weirdest thing. I somehow stopped doing my PT moves a couple weeks back and slowly started feeling like a tight bound and wound POS again.
Happy to report day 1 back on the wagon.
Ran a race Sunday as a progression and chased a 15 yr old kid the last mile or so. Didn’t catch him and my adductor is sore. Slap it high?
Generally, chasing 15 year olds is frowned upon. Good job scaring him to a PR

Got into the BK half this past week. Race is May 18th and going to start formal training schedule after I return from Telluride ski trip on March 23rd. Before then will try to keep up decent workout pace with a couple of 5k runs a week depending on weather as I don’t like to run when it is in 30s.
Ok well I am full on prep for Brooklyn Half-Marathon at this point. Race is just under 6 weeks away at this point and I am running three times a week with one "long-run" and two shorter runs (usually 3 to 4 miles but always over a 5k). Also, trying to cross train a bit using my Peloton by doing an endurance bike rides (a bit like heart rate zone 2 running) at least once a week and some Peloton strength classes on days I don't run.

I did just under 7 miles yesterday (6.9 miles as I miss judged my route a bit) and plan to ramp that up by a mile each week until I hit 10 miles (so 8 miles next week). I may do two weeks at 10 miles once I hit that distance and then dial down for last week or so before the race.

So far things seem to be going well though I do feel like **** after the long runs but my pace is slower then I had hoped. Of course this is my first half-marathon so more just going for running the whole thing but was hoping to tie my pace to my better 10k times per those charts you see out there but that doesn't seem likely.

Lastly, anyone have any advice on a knee support sleeve. My left knee always tends to hurt at the end of longer runs and honestly I have an old "drinking" injury where I hurt/sprained it drunk like 20 years ago. Feels fine next day but wondering if one of those compression sleeves might help a bit.
Probably worth a try. Do you do any work to strengthen the surrounding muscles?

Users who are viewing this thread