What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alvin Kamara, NO (3 Viewers)

I see this as him basically falling down before the defender makes contact with him. I think he's soft. 
watch the Texas A&M game on film

he gained about 300 yards against an SEC defense that had 3 dudes picked in first three rounds of NFL draft this year and a projected 4 or 5 more in future NFL drafts

particularly in the 4th quarter he was relentless in getting to the goal line

your "soft" eye-test for Kamara is a bit off , he broke more tackles per attempt than Fournette

Name: Alvin Kamara

School: Tennessee

Position fit: Running back

Stats to know: Tied with Dalvin Cook for the highest elusive rating in the 2017 RB draft class. Forced 23 missed tackles on just 40 receptions, the highest rate in the draft class.

What he does best:

Shifty runner, one of the better runners laterally in the draft class.

Slips off tackles with ease.

Strings together moves in the open field.

Gets skinny through tight gaps very well.

Was able to produce behind a bad offensive line that featured below-average run-blocking grades by all nine linemen with at least 30 run-blocking snaps.

One of the best running backs after the catch coming out of the backfield in the draft class. Ranked third with 2.4 yards per route run.

Forced 90 missed tackles on 284 touches over last two years, a strong rate of one every 3.2 touches.

if you think that was flukish, he also did the same in 2015, but didn't have enough rushes to qualify

AND while I'm on a roll ...

to say that Kamara has the highest vertical jump in the history of testing by ESPN Sports Science should be enough, but I should inform you that it was also higher than had ever been tested at THE NBA COMBINE too!!!!!  (to be fair I believe one of this year's NBA draftees beat that record)

so burst is off the charts

and he did some "leap over the pile" goalline TD test with ball in hand.  The record holder was Adrian Peterson and all who had tried this test had never beaten ADP's record.  Kamara beat his record by 7 inches.  Don't know what this means for football, but the Sports Science host was saying something about the explosive leg power and wattage it takes to pull that feat off is off the charts.  The world record High Jump performed backwards is only 17 inches higher than Kamara jumped frontwards in full pads/helmet.

so there is leg power

lastly, he decelerated only 10% of full speed after a full 90 degree spin move

Missed tackles and broken tackles are not the same thing.

Texas A&M was an awful tackling defense. Justin Evans, a safety drafted by Tampa and a notoriously awful tackler, missed something silly like 14 tackles in that game alone. 

I see Charles Sims. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't expect Kamara to be an effective early down between the tackles runner. In New Orleans he doesn't have to be. 

Please keep the positive reports coming.

Please be the next Marshall Faulk.

Please, please, please FREE MARK INGRAM!!!

Happy to get him at 2.4 in 12 team 1/2 ppr dynasty.  He comes into play only with Peterson or Ingram going down in 2017 IMO

Anybody want to discuss Kamara?

The results from Saints camp so far have been pretty good, with Brees peppering Kamara with rote passes a la Cadet/Sproles and the first game where Kamara had two breakaway runs from bunch scrums in the first preseason game.

Anybody want to discuss Kamara?

The results from Saints camp so far have been pretty good, with Brees peppering Kamara with rote passes a la Cadet/Sproles and the first game where Kamara had two breakaway runs from bunch scrums in the first preseason game.
Seems interesting and he is certainly a nice dynasty player. I am more curious how he impacts Ingram this year for redraft. 

I wouldn't plan to rely on him too much in any format this year. Ingram is a legitimate triple-threat rusher/receiving/short yardage who catches and runs too well to cede too much PT to Kamara. If Peterson is even 60-70% of his former self I think we will see a situation closer to 2006 when Payton used Deuce & Reggie almost equally. I see Ingram with more touches than ADP may have more carries but Ingram will come close to 50 receptions. I see both getting far more touches than Kamara.

If ADP simply can't produce anymore then maybe Kamara starts to get more work.

RB's that are good receivers that excel in space are only useful to an offense....... what? Maybe 66% of the time?
The whole Saints offense is predicated on getting players in space. It doesn't work so often in the running game, that's true but that is the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you mean? In the face? His talent on the field is light years better than mewelde
Moore had a nice career, some nice games and was a good athlete. He never offered more then a boom/bust flex. I tend to stay away from guys like that. His raw athletic profile is nice but when you look deeper his production is subpar and so is his SPARQ. I expect Kamara will have some nice games this year just being in the Saints offense but it won't be a vindication for his draft position. I'm not sure why anyone would take Moore as an insult. He was a good real football player who you could roster in deep leagues but never truly offer a complete skill set. He had stretch's of great fantasy play. I just tend to not overpay for someone like him when Donta Foreman could be the next David Johnson. He was never going to slip into the 3rd in a rookie draft and that's where I probably value him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take that bet. He'll be in Spriles role for now and the defense is still awful. Probably a rb2 ceiling this year but a flex floor imo.
I find it hard to believe that with Mark Ingram on the team, who catches the ball very well on top of being a very good runner, they would then sign a poor pass catching hammer like Peterson and then give a third RB a Sproles number of touches (which was around 140 touches/year in his three seasons in New Orleans).

I don't think Peterson needs to be more than 60% of his former self to maintain his position on the offense. 

We've spent years wondering why Payton uses his RBs the way he does, even when he has a guy who appears to be head-and-shoulders above the rest.

IMO banking on an injury is the only reason to grab this guy in a redraft.

Dynasty he may be a buy, but expectations should be with Sproles as the high end possibility.

Pretty happy now that I had to settle for this guy in my rookie draft.  He looks legit, and even with Ingram and AP on the team, he could vie for carries early.  Payton doesn't like Ingram for some reason (Hightower took over as RB1 last year...) and AP might run out of gas halfway through the season.  Kamara's situation might be better than it appears at first glance.

Pretty happy now that I had to settle for this guy in my rookie draft.  He looks legit, and even with Ingram and AP on the team, he could vie for carries early.  Payton doesn't like Ingram for some reason (Hightower took over as RB1 last year...) and AP might run out of gas halfway through the season.  Kamara's situation might be better than it appears at first glance.
He did?  Mind you, I agree that Payton is confounding in his RB usage but Ingram was the unquestioned and unchallenged lead back in New Orleans last year.  He started 15 games, for some reason Cardet started in week 5 vs Carolina, and Hightower started zero.

Ingram had 96 more touches than Hightower on the season and those numbers are skewed a little because 40% of Hightower's touches on the season (61) came in back-to-back games against Seattle and San Fran. In the 14 other games Ingram out touched Hightower by a margin of 16.6 to 6.7 touches per game.  I'm not going to dig up the practice and injury reports from those weeks but I would guess that there was something up with Ingram during those two games (although Ingram still had a great game vs San Francisco on 17 touches).

He did?  Mind you, I agree that Payton is confounding in his RB usage but Ingram was the unquestioned and unchallenged lead back in New Orleans last year.  He started 15 games, for some reason Cardet started in week 5 vs Carolina, and Hightower started zero.

Ingram had 96 more touches than Hightower on the season and those numbers are skewed a little because 40% of Hightower's touches on the season (61) came in back-to-back games against Seattle and San Fran. In the 14 other games Ingram out touched Hightower by a margin of 16.6 to 6.7 touches per game.  I'm not going to dig up the practice and injury reports from those weeks but I would guess that there was something up with Ingram during those two games (although Ingram still had a great game vs San Francisco on 17 touches).
good post. owned ingram for years, this is the first year without. last year, at least one game early in the season he was gimpy so lost touches, another game in the middle of the season he had a fumble the game before and payton pretty much threw him in the dog house and that was the game ingram was seen mouthing off on the sideline. can't remember which games, but these two games were definitely ones where he had less touches. two reasons, if you needed any more, why i'm still dumbfounded ingram couldn't go find a deal on another team. all of this going from memory so hopefully i'm not grossly mistaken for the year before. hightower had two games where he went off and looked studly, launching an internet frenzy yet again depending on which side of the fence you were on--hightower is a hidden gem or payton sucks.

HI

My name is BobbyLayne

I'm an addict

Every year i say I won't draft a Saints RB

Every year I draft a Saints RB

I'm on Step One - I recognize and acknowledge I have a problem, and I need help
Hi Bobby, my name is Tex I too am an addict!

This off-season I traded Ingram away feeling much relief BUT this year during my draft Kamara kept calling my name as he fell in the 3rd round. I acknowledge I have a problem.

I'm on Step Two- I need a power greater than me to help restore my sanity.

Tex

Hi Bobby, my name is Tex I too am an addict!

This off-season I traded Ingram away feeling much relief BUT this year during my draft Kamara kept calling my name as he fell in the 3rd round. I acknowledge I have a problem.

I'm on Step Two- I need a power greater than me to help restore my sanity.

Tex
Hi Bobby & Tex, I'm an addict too...

Same here.... Departed Brees earlier this year [2018 1st, Carson Palmer & Kenneth Dixon(susp)], and in the draft Kamara said "hi!" to me in the mid-to-end-3rd round...

Drafted him... His teammates Willie Snead and Sheldon Rankins can welcome him to the new team.

Dear Saints RB addicts.

If you are getting Kamara in the 3rd round of rookie drafts. Its stealing. So you have more than just a problem with addiction.

I am surprised he is falling that far. You should thank your lucky stars to be able to get him for that price.

Dear Saints RB addicts.

If you are getting Kamara in the 3rd round of rookie drafts. Its stealing. So you have more than just a problem with addiction.

I am surprised he is falling that far. You should thank your lucky stars to be able to get him for that price.
That's the point. People continue to pass him in the draft. Maybe is his depth chart position...

Users who are viewing this thread