What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

he's sitting till end of the bye week. Juicy matchups for Kelley for the next few weeks. Fantasy Drs were all over this. it wasn't a 1 week deal, it is a multi week thingy, and the bye week so early in the season doesn't help it just means they keep him out until that's over. here's the rub tho..ekeler is being very coy about the injury news same with the SD, err, LA front office. something's fishy here. Like the Chief chumming the waters off the back of the Orca in Jaws..this feels like a HAS 4-6 recovery and high probability of re-injury and definite performance hindrance. I've rolled ankles in basketball many times , once grabbing a rebound I hit a players foot and rolled externally right off it. heard a snap. drove home as fast as I could, stopped at a 7-11 to get ice and put it on my right ankle the whole way home ( 1.5 hours from Belmar to wanaque nj). I could not walk on it for 4 weeks. couldn't even look at it lol. could barely walk after 6 weeks. still felt pain over a year later when I would step off a curb, or walking down a flight of stairs. this was 1999 still to this day i have an enormously swollen right ankle from this incident. is he in a boot? it's not the idea that he has a sprained ankle, it's the Go-Go's 'our lips are sealed' thing that Ekeler and the Chargers are using here that is the real problem.
Thanks for your injury history with a sprained ankle. That was the last straw for me. I'm cutting Ekeler loose.

Its a marathon, not a sprint. Frankly, Ekeler is has better ROI than many of the guys who were drafted around him have. Would you rather have Chase? Chubb? Barkley? Kupp? Wilson? Jacobs?

I passed on Ekeler to draft Hill at 1.5 in my only redraft league. Pretty happy about it. In that Superflex league, here is where the players you identified were drafted:

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

Obviously, Ekeler is a better bet than Chubb for the overall season. But you didn't really throw out an apples to apples comparison on draft capital, at least not universally.
I think a Super Flex league is an entirely different thing altogether. None of those guys made it past pick #20 in any draft I did. Jacobs and Wilson were the only ones who weren't universal 1st round picks.

My overall point though, is that well it sucks Ekeler got hurt, he'll be back, his situation is still excellent, and at least he had a great week 1. If he had to get hurt, its much better that its now, and not during byes, or in the playoffs.

Its a marathon, not a sprint. Frankly, Ekeler is has better ROI than many of the guys who were drafted around him have. Would you rather have Chase? Chubb? Barkley? Kupp? Wilson? Jacobs?

I passed on Ekeler to draft Hill at 1.5 in my only redraft league. Pretty happy about it. In that Superflex league, here is where the players you identified were drafted:

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

Obviously, Ekeler is a better bet than Chubb for the overall season. But you didn't really throw out an apples to apples comparison on draft capital, at least not universally.
I think a Super Flex league is an entirely different thing altogether. None of those guys made it past pick #20 in any draft I did. Jacobs and Wilson were the only ones who weren't universal 1st round picks.

My overall point though, is that well it sucks Ekeler got hurt, he'll be back, his situation is still excellent, and at least he had a great week 1. If he had to get hurt, its much better that its now, and not during byes, or in the playoffs.
That's assuming he's done being injured. Who's to say?

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

Sure, but that's true of everybody. I mean its all random variance mixed with statistical probability. Jefferson and Hill could go down on Sunday, and the conversation would be, "why didn't people take Pollard at #2" or whatever.

Its not a concern of mine. Nor is it with Barkley. I'd be trying to buy low on both right now, more so Ekeler because I think he's a better player, in a much better offense.

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

Sure, but that's true of everybody. I mean its all random variance mixed with statistical probability. Jefferson and Hill could go down on Sunday, and the conversation would be, "why didn't people take Pollard at #2" or whatever.

Its not a concern of mine. Nor is it with Barkley. I'd be trying to buy low on both right now, more so Ekeler because I think he's a better player, in a much better offense.
Ah but Eckler has an ax to grind. Mission: stay healthy while fighting "Minor Injuries" so that you look functional yet not available with bumps and bruises that has you in and out of the lineup. Get that bag...then give it all or nothing on another Spanosless team. Not saying for sure this is the plan, but I didn't hold a RB meeting either. Maybe the NFLPA thinks along these lines. Who knows? Ekler is not a happy camper and Spanos has gone into his wallet and pulled out a $1. Should have pulled out a $10. This is his M.O. See: head coach. Next few weeks will show what's what.

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

God. It’s in his hands now. Or her’s

Whatever

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

Ah but Eckler has an ax to grind. Mission: stay healthy while fighting "Minor Injuries" so that you look functional yet not available with bumps and bruises that has you in and out of the lineup. Get that bag...then give it all or nothing on another Spanosless team. Not saying for sure this is the plan, but I didn't hold a RB meeting either. Maybe the NFLPA thinks along these lines. Who knows? Ekler is not a happy camper and Spanos has gone into his wallet and pulled out a $1. Should have pulled out a $10. This is his M.O. See: head coach. Next few weeks will show what's what.
I find this line of reasoning to be preposterous.

Ekeler has shown a work ethic throughout his career. He ended his holdout early after the team gave him permission to seek a trade, and from all reports was a hard worker during camp.

Attacking players character on speculation is really awful. Dude has a sprained ankle. He’s “DTD or week to week”

It sounds like he’s close. He played hard in week 1, and seems to want to win.

Faking injury isn’t going to get him a bag.

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

Ekeler has shown a work ethic throughout his career. He ended his holdout early after the team gave him permission to seek a trade, and from all reports was a hard worker during camp.

Attacking players character on speculation is really awful. Dude has a sprained ankle. He’s “DTD or week to week”

Yeah. Probably right. Not arguing just saying : He was saying not to worry then he's saying should be next week. Now I'm hearing could be a few weeks. Seems fishy for a stand up guy. Like I said Not sure he's doing this. Just not sure he isn't.

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

Ekeler is a RB going on 29 next offseason. He's not getting the bag from anyone, and missing games this season, makes that even less likely. If Ekeler were "exaggerating injury" now, in the hopes of getting paid later, he'd be a complete moron. I don't think he's doing that at all.

Truthfully, Ekeler's best case scenario is probably getting franchise tagged next offseason.

Can we please stop with the “getting the bag” commentary?

I’m sure it’s all direct deposit.
Nope, day 1, its just a sack with a dollar sign on it.
He has less miles than other backs his age. Nobody should be afraid to pay him for 2-3 years
Its less about him and more about the market.

Barkley, Jacobs, Pollard, Henry, Taylor, Swift are all potentially going to be FAs alongside Ekeler. Its also looking like a pretty solid rookie class at the moment, with as many as 6 RBs looking like top-64 picks. Obviously that can fluctuate a ton, but its a deep-ish class is my point, even if there is nobody close to Bijan levels.

I don't think any of these guys are getting better than franchise tag money, unless its Pollard, if he has a monster season, or Taylor if he gets back to 2021 levels.

🤔

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Austin Ekeler (ankle) is “hopeful” to play in Week 4 against the Raiders.
Pelissero said Ekeler is dealing with a “higher type of ankle sprain.” So it’s a high-ankle sprain for Ekeler. As Pelissero mentioned, the Chargers get their bye in Week 5, meaning Ekeler could get an extended recovery time if his team holds him out in Week 4. That outcome makes the most sense, though it is still possible Ekeler pushes to play sooner. Joshua Kelley will serve as the team’s starter until Ekeler returns

Chargers should pay him. He's worth it and fits them so well. Be weird to see him on another team
If I were an NFL GM I wouldn't pay someone just because of what they did in the past if he is a 28 year old RB. I'd be more inclined to trade for a RB under the age of 26 if I wanted to give more money to the position, but not put my team in the position of not being able to compete because I blew up the cap. If a RB wants to overvalue his worth I would simply go another direction.

I’m thinking he sits and gets the extra 2 weeks. Teams never rush back with the bye week looming
That's what I'm guessing too. I also think when he comes back, his role as going to be a lot bigger than it was when he got hurt, as Kelley has been awful, and Williams injury is gonna require more creative playcalling. I think we could get the return to 90 catch (pace obviously as he'll have missed 3 games) Ekeler.

Ekeler (since Gordon has been gone) has averaged 17, 17, and 18 touches per game. He had 20 in week 1, and I think 20+ isn't unreasonable, especially as he's highly unlikely to be a Charger in 2024.

CMC is the only RB I'd rather have going forward, and honestly, they could be close if SF gets back to resting him in any big win they have , like they did against NY.

Matt Harmon
NEW Ekeler’s Edge with @AustinEkeler is up on the Yahoo Fantasy Football Show
We get another update from Austin in his ankle progress, react to Mike Williams injury and do a deep dive on some of the hidden reasons why the Dolphins run game dominated the Broncos on Sunday.
https://t.co/ZeqMHJtPqw
SPOTIFY: https://tinyurl.com/3fvh9pjj
https://t.co/kjDUwnKy8i
YOUTUBE: https://youtu.be/v1aewWmwzEY

Austin Ekeler (ankle) was limited in Wednesday’s practice.

It’s Ekeler’s first appearance at practice since suffering what is likely a high-ankle sprain in Week 1. The Chargers have a bye week in Week 5, so resting Ekeler for one more game to give him an extended recovery time is still on the table. However, with Joshua Kelley flopping as the starter and Mike WIlliams out, an extra spark on offense couldn’t hurt. If Ekeler is able to play in Week 4, he will reclaim his spot among the rest of the RB1s in a matchup with the Raiders.

Chargers listed Austin Ekeler (ankle) as doubtful for Week 4 against the Raiders.

Ekeler practiced throughout the week but appears unlikely to go in Week 4. With a Week 5 bye week on tap, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Chargers rest Ekeler to give him two more weeks off before ramping him up in Week 6 against the Cowboys. If Ekeler is out, Joshua Kelley will once again serve as the Chargers’ RB1, although he’s underwhelmed to the tune of 24 rushes for 51 yards over the last two weeks. Kelley would be a volume-based RB2.

Chargers RB Austin Ekeler (ankle) stated that he expects to be back for Week 6 against the Cowboys.

On an online stream by Ekeler, he stated that there is a “long time between now and Monday Night Football vs the Cowboys, so expecting to be back by then for sure.” Ekeler has been out the last three weeks with an ankle injury, practicing in a limited capacity last week before being declared out. A Week 5 bye will give Ekeler time to rest and return for a Week 6 MNF matchup against the Cowboys.

are we buying he will be good to go on Monday? It's kind of a lousy deal if you don't have Kelly. Like, if i take the gamble he plays and put him in my lineup, I will end up with a goose-egg if he sits.

are we buying he will be good to go on Monday? It's kind of a lousy deal if you don't have Kelly. Like, if i take the gamble he plays and put him in my lineup, I will end up with a goose-egg if he sits.
I am saying 99% yea, he has had a great amount of time to get right

- Ekeler openly talked about the rehab process.

- Chargers didn't put him on IR, they kept the option open that he could have went if they went 0-3. They didn't go 0-3, so they had the luxury of getting him a lot of time with the bye week to get him ready for an expanded role.

If you're really worried you could always flex him and grab a player for MNF to swap. I prolly won't since I believe he starts and may have some rust.

NFL Network’s Bridget Condon reports Austin Ekeler has returned to practice.

It’s been said that Ekeler had been eyeing a Week 6 return after suffering an ankle injury in Week 1. This week he looks on par to do so and is ramping up his activity. The Chargers desperately need Ekeler back in the fold as the running game has not effective in his absence.

Chargers RB Austin Ekeler is off the team’s final injury report Saturday and will play Monday.
Ekeler has missed the team’s previous three contests with an ankle injury but is set to return to action following the bye week. The Chargers become more explosive and unpredictable with the veteran back on the field, who has been one of the most efficient players over the previous two seasons. Linebacker Joey Bosa and tight end Donald Parham are listed as questionable.

Chargers RB Austin Ekeler is off the team’s final injury report Saturday and will play Monday.
Ekeler has missed the team’s previous three contests with an ankle injury but is set to return to action following the bye week. The Chargers become more explosive and unpredictable with the veteran back on the field, who has been one of the most efficient players over the previous two seasons. Linebacker Joey Bosa and tight end Donald Parham are listed as questionable.
No limitations on health and the expectations he will be given a full workload.

LFG!!!

1st game back looked ok, would have liked more points, but he was tackled at the 1-yard line like 3 times. Also Herbert seemed averse to checkdowns, which probably cost him 3-4 catches, which also got Herbert hit a bunch of times. Something I think will be corrected by Kellen Moore.

Did like slightly slower (just like Barkley did) but that could have also been just needing to get back to game speed. Not worried about it. Had over 80% of the carries.

With the way the RB position is dropping like flies, he's as good an option as any going forward.

1st game back looked ok, would have liked more points, but he was tackled at the 1-yard line like 3 times. Also Herbert seemed averse to checkdowns, which probably cost him 3-4 catches, which also got Herbert hit a bunch of times. Something I think will be corrected by Kellen Moore.

Did like slightly slower (just like Barkley did) but that could have also been just needing to get back to game speed. Not worried about it. Had over 80% of the carries.

With the way the RB position is dropping like flies, he's as good an option as any going forward.
- Yea I noted him getting stopped at the 1 yard, didn't realize it happened that much(3). So 3 more yards and he could have had a 3 TD day and everyone would be- all over the moon.

- Saw some rust from his extended recovery time and this is a tough Dallas D line, they got a lot of penetration many times to hit him in the backfield immediately.

I'm not worried as well. We are aligned!

Austin Ekeler (ankle) was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice.
Ekeler came up gimpy after being tackled in the second quarter of his Week 7 bout with the Chiefs but returned after resting for a few plays. A full practice is a good sign that his ankle issue didn’t flare up again. He should be good to go for his Week 8 matchup versus the Bears. Per usual, Ekeler will rank as a top-five fantasy option.

Just traded Barkley away to get Ekeler in my PPR redraft league because of the last three posts in this thread. Thanks for putting my mind at ease for a successful buy-low.

I was shocked I pulled that trade off, but I guess people who have had Ekeler all season are feeling skittish. The rest of the schedule is just so great. Here's hoping he returns to form.

Just traded Barkley away to get Ekeler in my PPR redraft league because of the last three posts in this thread. Thanks for putting my mind at ease for a successful buy-low.

I was shocked I pulled that trade off, but I guess people who have had Ekeler all season are feeling skittish. The rest of the schedule is just so great. Here's hoping he returns to form.
Curious what you packaged with Barkley to get Ekeler.

The LAC playoff schedule is delish.

@LC, BUF (Run D iffy), @Dennis Castro

Trying to package R. Mostert + X for Ekeler. Sell high (Mostert), buy low (ekeler).

Users who are viewing this thread