What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (1 Viewer)

I’m thankful Anderson went there. I imagine that was the plan all along. He acted as insulation from the Panthers doing something stupid like taking Chubb or Guice and ####### over both backs.

I still think CMC becomes the 3 down guy. I love that it's CJ Anderson they brought in and not a more dynamic guy.  Tells me that the Panthers realize what CMC brings.  I still think CMC has 3 down ability.

I still think CMC becomes the 3 down guy. I love that it's CJ Anderson they brought in and not a more dynamic guy.  Tells me that the Panthers realize what CMC brings.  I still think CMC has 3 down ability.
Such as?  Other than one of the top 8 rookie RBs, I can’t think of more of a threat to touches that the Panthers could have signed.

Boom goes the dynamite! What are we thinking of CMC now, the CJ signing put him back to last year's stats as a reasonable projection??
I love how the Panthers proved me right with the CJ Anderson acquisition.

Last summer, when everyone and his dog were saying that CMC's high draft position must mean that the Panthers intended for CMC to become the feature back, I was a lone voice in the wilderness pointing out that no, the Panthers were quite clear about their plans for CMC to play a complementary, receiving role to Stewart, the grinder.

As the season wore on and it became clear that this was exactly what was happening, the CMC Kool-Aid drinkers then claimed that next season CMC would be the feature back when Stewart was gone. And I said no, just you wait and see, they'll bring in another grinder to feed the ball with so CMC can be the complementary, receiving guy again.

Et voila, here he is. And btw CJ Anderson is a far stronger player than Jonathan Stewart at this point of their respective careers. 

Even allowing for some improvement in his second year, I think that makes CMC's numbers last year with the elderly, worn-out Stewart, as opposed to the powerful, sustaining, Anderson a ceiling, not a floor for this year. In other words, he'll be lucky to put up last year's numbers. If you own him, now is sell high territory.

I fully predict that in the years to come CMC will go the whole Danny Woodhead and become the career 3rd down back his doppelganger Woodhead was. 

Last summer, when everyone and his dog were saying that CMC's high draft position must mean that the Panthers intended for CMC to become the feature back, I was a lone voice in the wilderness pointing out that no, the Panthers were quite clear about their plans for CMC to play a complementary, receiving role to Stewart, the grinder.

As the season wore on and it became clear that this was exactly what was happening, the CMC Kool-Aid drinkers then claimed that next season CMC would be the feature back when Stewart was gone. And I said no, just you wait and see, they'll bring in another grinder to feed the ball with so CMC can be the complementary, receiving guy again.

Et voila, here he is. And btw CJ Anderson is a far stronger player than Jonathan Stewart at this point of their respective careers. 

Even allowing for some improvement in his second year, I think that makes CMC's numbers last year with the elderly, worn-out Stewart, as opposed to the powerful, sustaining, Anderson a ceiling, not a floor for this year. In other words, he'll be lucky to put up last year's numbers. If you own him, now is sell high territory.

I fully predict that in the years to come CMC will go the whole Danny Woodhead and become the career 3rd down back his doppelganger Woodhead was. 

While you are patting yourself on the back with great relish - which you seem to love to do - did you have any idea that McCaffrey had 11 more carries in just his rookie season than Woodhead did in any of his 10 seasons in his career?

In other words, you’re already wrong only one season into McCaffrey’s career, yet here you are lavishing great praise all over yourself.  Nice job.

I don't think CMC as a utility back was a unique position in the least... this post is a bad look for you.

McCaffrey is a very valuable fantasy asset in PPR leagues.  He is what he is and will never be much of a rushing RB fantasy wise.  However, his role in the passing game (as you already know) is what makes him special for fantasy purposes.  Anyone trying to read anything else into his game is reaching.

No, you weren't.

So at what point during the season do we bump this thread? 90 catches? 100?

Top 10 RB. Are the people pushing this narrative in standard or touchdown only leagues?

Cmc was on pace for 100 catches most of the season, finished with 86 and was RB8 in all my dyno leagues, what exactly is the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Run It Up said:
So at what point during the season do we bump this thread? 90 catches? 100?

Top 10 RB. Are the people pushing this narrative in standard or touchdown only leagues?

Cmc was on pace for 100 catches most of the season, finished with 86 and was RB8 in all my dyno leagues, what exactly is the problem?
It depends if you think last year's catch numbers are the ceiling or the floor for our diminutive friend.

Last year was an unusual year in several respects for the Panthers. 

1) Cam's top WR was traded halfway through the season, leaving him with a terrible WR corps

2) Cam's top TE was hurt most of the season, leaving him with scrubs at TE

3) The Panthers couldn't establish the run with either the beaten-up, ground-down Stewart or the under-sized, glass-jawed, featherweight CMC

The consequence was that Carolina's offense became dump-offs to CMC, thus generating freakish numbers for Woodhead's doppelganger.

That's not going to happen this year.

1) The Panthers have a lead back in CJ Anderson in his prime, a guy who can really carry the load

2) They have a new offensive coordinator in Norv who loves to pound the ball and throw it deep

3) They get their top TE back

4) They spent their top pick on the top WR in the draft, arguably

The inescapable conclusion is that it is unlikely CMC puts up the same numbers as last year in terms of catches.

I don't discount that he may be a better player, it is reasonable to expect improvement in year 2, but it is a reach to expect better numbers because the circumstances have changed so dramatically.

It depends if you think last year's catch numbers are the ceiling or the floor for our diminutive friend.

1) Cam's top WR was traded halfway through the season, leaving him with a terrible WR corps

3) The Panthers couldn't establish the run with either the beaten-up, ground-down Stewart or the under-sized, glass-jawed, featherweight CMC

The consequence was that Carolina's offense became dump-offs to CMC, thus generating freakish numbers for Woodhead's doppelganger.

1) The Panthers have a lead back in CJ Anderson in his prime, a guy who can really carry the load

2) They have a new offensive coordinator in Norv who loves to pound the ball and throw it deep

The inescapable conclusion is that it is unlikely CMC puts up the same numbers as last year in terms of catches.

I don't discount that he may be a better player, it is reasonable to expect improvement in year 2, but it is a reach to expect better numbers because the circumstances have changed so dramatically.

You just can’t help but admire someone who is so adamant and tenacious about being wrong.  You go, guy!  McCaffrey must have kicked your wife or slept with your dog or something.

He's 5'11" and looks like this now: https://twitter.com/billym_91/status/992190086124064769?s=21

We have very different definitions of diminutive.

I do agree with some of the factors now working against him this year though - even if they are a bit overstated.
I was watching the Panthers/Saints playoff game again the other day and the commentators kept on going on about him being "little", "small" etc. Regardless of his listed characteristics, optically, he sure looks small and plays small. I think part of the problem is he goes down so easily on contact.

I appreciate the thoughtful way you laid out your rationale but unfortunately your conclusion is flawed.

80 catches / year is neither a floor nor ceiling, but a very reasonable expectation for CMC's career average given his skillset and usage. Not freakish at all.

Clearly a reflection of how the NFL has integrated both RB's and TE's into the passing game in a trend that is now mainstream. Dump-offs will continue to lose market share to designed RB passing routes well into the future.

Travis Benjamin was not that good of a receiver and Funchess was better than him but used in a similar role. Funchess was getting more targets than Benjamin before they traded him aside from a big game by Benjamin against the Eagles two weeks before they traded him. They traded him because he wasn't going to play as much anyways. Plus they had McCaffrey to pick up the slack as a receiver. I assume that is what they drafted him as high as they did for.

Olsen did lead the team in targets in 2015 and 2016 so him being out did lead to changes in their offense. Olsen is 33 years old now and they need to plan for football without him. They drafted Ian Thomas with that in mind. No doubt that Olsen and Thomas should be more involved with the offense this year than what they could get out of Dickson. Olsen did play in 7 games though and he and Dickson combined for 86 targets, so its not like their use of the TE in the passing game went away. Do you think Olsen leads the team in targets again in 2018?

The Panthers still ran the ball 490 times in 2017 315 of those by Stewart and McCaffrey. They both were sub 4 ypc but McCaffrey was slightly more efficient than Stewart was.

CJ Anderson is 27 years old and this will be his 6th season in the league. His prime is going to be over after this season. The Broncos released him. He will have an important role in the offense but I doubt this leads to more carries than what Stewart had last season. They are hoping for more effective carries though. This leads to more first downs and more opportunities for everyone on the offense.

Norv Turner is a bit worrisome as he is somewhat intractable with his play calling and forcing players to fit his system instead of tailoring his system to fit his players. He hasn't worked with a QB like Cam Newton before so I wonder how that will play out? The Panthers have some unconventional players in their offense that I am not sure Norv is the right coach to maximize their abilities. This includes Cam Newton, Christian McCaffrey and Curtis Samuels.

That said Norvs plan when he was with Cleveland was to use Dion Lewis as his feature RB and they traded away Trent Richardson. Lewis was injured before the season began, but that definitely seemed to be the plan if he had stayed healthy. Later with the Vikings they took another look at Lewis with Peterson suspended, but ultimately signed a TE instead as Lewis was still not healthy enough to play at that time.

I can definitely see more targets going to Olsen in 2018 than what Olsen and DIckson combined for last season. Olsen averaged 125 targets per year from 2014 to 2016 so 35 targets more than he and DIckson combined for last season.

They did and Moore will likely be their X WR (I think) which is where Norv puts his best receiver.

Aside from the TE situation I don't see things as being very different. Perhaps those 35 targets mostly come at the expense of McCaffrey, or maybe those 35 targets come from all other players split up, or perhaps Olsen doesn't get that many targets again because the Panthers have better skill players around him than they did when he led the team in targets.

I appreciate the thoughtful way you laid out your rationale but unfortunately your conclusion is flawed.

80 catches / year is neither a floor nor ceiling, but a very reasonable expectation for CMC's career average given his skillset and usage. Not freakish at all.

Clearly a reflection of how the NFL has integrated both RB's and TE's into the passing game in a trend that is now mainstream. Dump-offs will continue to lose market share to designed RB passing routes well into the future.
No non 3-down RB in the last 25 years has ever had more than one 80 catch season, not Bush, no Sproles, not countless others, but doing it year after year is a "reasonable expectation" for McCaffrey?

McCaffrey's rookie year, both in raw numbers and efficiency, was pretty much right on par with Theo Riddick and Reggie Bush's 80+ catch seasons.  Teams just don't keep committing to those players in those roles for that kind of production/efficiency long term.  Maybe McCaffrey's will, but expecting that massive outlier to occur is far from a "reasonable expectation".

No non 3-down RB in the last 25 years has ever had more than one 80 catch season, not Bush, no Sproles, not countless others, but doing it year after year is a "reasonable expectation" for McCaffrey?

McCaffrey's rookie year, both in raw numbers and efficiency, was pretty much right on par with Theo Riddick and Reggie Bush's 80+ catch seasons.  Teams just don't keep committing to those players in those roles for that kind of production/efficiency long term.  Maybe McCaffrey's will, but expecting that massive outlier to occur is far from a "reasonable expectation".
No non 3-down RB in the last 25 years has ever had an 80 catch season in their rookie year. Not until McCaffery and Kamara did it last year. With ease. The world has changed.

No non 3-down RB in the last 25 years has ever had an 80 catch season in their rookie year. Not until McCaffery and Kamara did it last year. With ease. The world has changed.
Sure they have.  Reggie Bush did it in his rookie year, and on a team that was a lot more committed to keeping that kind of role on the team long-term than the Panthers. 

Riddick did it in his 3rd year and his first year playing really meaningful snaps.

Receiving RBs aren't a new thing, and passing numbers weren't some outlier last year compared to the few years before it.  There's a reason that these kind of guys have only been a long-term fantasy RB1 once in all of modern NFL history (Larry Centers).  Like I said, it's certainly possible it happens, but banking on it as a "reasonable expectation" is crazy talk.  If anything I think in a few years we will all be looking back on it as how obvious it should have been that a guy with Theo Riddick efficiency was not force fed 80 catches every year on a team that doesn't really have a history of forcing that kind of role and that just spent a first round pick on a WR, added a complimentary back that was better than the one they had last year, and got another decently high target player back from injury.

The only thing McCaffrey has going for him over the barrage of guys that have faded from this plateau in the past is draft pedigree (and even some of those guys had that too, like Bush), and we all know that doesn't last long for NFL teams.

He wasn't even nearly as efficient in the role last year as Duke Johnson, who most people are just casting aside.

There's a reason that these kind of guys have only been a long-term fantasy RB1 once in all of modern NFL history (Larry Centers). 
Good debate so not nit-picking but what is this reason in your mind?

Also, Reggie Bush was on pace for 80 catches his first three years...injuries held him back years 2 and 3. So, IMO year-to-year consistency at that pace is certainly achievable. Perhaps similar in sustainability to TE's at an 80 catch rate year-over-year.

Good debate so not nit-picking but what is this reason in your mind?

Also, Reggie Bush was on pace for 80 catches his first three years...injuries held him back years 2 and 3. So, IMO year-to-year consistency at that pace is certainly achievable. Perhaps similar in sustainability to TE's at an 80 catch rate year-over-year.
I think that, pretty much outside of Sean Payton, NFL coaches just don't see it as a good way to run an offense long-term once they try it.

Fair point about Bush's injuries, but he brings up another interesting point.  With even better efficiency than McCaffrey's, he was eventually replaced in the role by the one team that really is adamant to keep the role around.  McCaffrey's job is twice as difficult as Bush's as he needs to not only convince the team that he is the guy for the job, but he needs to also convince them that the job is even worth having (similar to Riddick in Detroit).  Thus far, his efficiency has been more in line with the teams that mostly gave up on even having the job (or at least reduced it to more of the ~50 catch territory than 80).

Serious question here for those that like McCaffrey, but other than draft pedigree (which will get less important every year we move away from when he was drafted) what is the draw in someone like McCaffrey over someone like Duke Johnson, who was basically a much better Christian McCaffrey last year and costs 1/5th as much?

I think if I'm going to bet on someone bucking the trends I'd rather pay a little bit for a guy who was better at it, than to pay a whole lot for a guy who was worse at it.

FreeBaGeL makes a good point that 80 receptions in a season for a RB is a pretty rare occurrence that should not be taken for granted.

Here are the RB who have had 80 or more receptions in a season since 2000

LaDainian Tomlinson*    2003    24    1-5    SDG    NFL    16    16    1    1    100.00    21    1    0    100    0.00    158.3    0    0    21.00    41.00    41.00    1.3    0    0    0    137    100    725    7.25    4    45.3    73.0%    5.29
Richie Anderson    2000    29    6-144    NYJ    NFL    16    10    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0    0    0    0    125    88    853    9.69    2    53.3    70.4%    6.82
Le'Veon Bell    2014    22    2-48    PIT    NFL    16    16    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                105    83    854    10.29    3    53.4    79.0%    8.13
Le'Veon Bell    2017    25    2-48    PIT    NFL    15    15    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                106    85    655    7.71    2    43.7    80.2%    6.18
Reggie Bush    2006    21    1-2    NOR    NFL    16    8    0    1    0.00    0    0    1    0    100.00    0.0    0    0    0.00    -45.00    -45.00    0.0    0    0    0    121    88    742    8.43    2    46.4    72.7%    6.13
Larry Centers    2001    33    5-115    BUF    NFL    16    13    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0    0    0    0    105    80    620    7.75    2    38.8    76.2%    5.90
Larry Centers    2000    32    5-115    WAS    NFL    15    6    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0    0    0    0    93    81    600    7.41    3    40.0    87.1%    6.45
Marshall Faulk*    2001    28    1-2    STL    NFL    14    14    0    1    0.00    0    0    0    0    0.00    39.6    0    0    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.0    0    0    0    104    83    765    9.22    9    54.6    79.8%    7.36
Marshall Faulk*    2002    29    1-2    STL    NFL    14    10    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0    0    0    0    102    80    537    6.71    2    38.4    78.4%    5.26
Marshall Faulk*    2000    27    1-2    STL    NFL    14    14    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0    0    0    0    113    81    830    10.25    8    59.3    71.7%    7.35
Matt Forte    2014    29    2-44    CHI    NFL    16    16    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                130    102    808    7.92    4    50.5    78.5%    6.22
Charlie Garner    2002    30    2-42    OAK    NFL    16    15    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0    0    0    0    111    91    941    10.34    4    58.8    82.0%    8.48
Steven Jackson    2006    23    1-24    STL    NFL    16    16    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0    0    0    0    110    90    806    8.96    3    50.4    81.8%    7.33
David Johnson    2016    25    3-86    ARI    NFL    16    16    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                120    80    879    10.99    4    54.9    66.7%    7.33
Alvin Kamara    2017    22    3-67    NOR    NFL    16    3    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                100    81    826    10.20    5    51.6    81.0%    8.26
Christian McCaffrey    2017    21    1-8    CAR    NFL    16    10    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                113    80    651    8.14    5    40.7    70.8%    5.76
Theo Riddick    2015    24    6-199    DET    NFL    16    1    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                99    80    697    8.71    3    43.6    80.8%    7.04
Darren Sproles    2011    28    4-130    NOR    NFL    16    4    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                111    86    710    8.26    7    44.4    77.5%    6.40
Brian Westbrook    2007    28    3-91    PHI    NFL    15    15    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0    0    0    0    118    90    771    8.57    5    51.4    76.3%    6.53
Danny Woodhead    2015    30        SDG    NFL    16    2    0    0        0    0    0                0    0                0.0                106    80    755    9.44    6    47.2    75.5%    7.1

It should be noted that 80 receptions is a somewhat arbitrary and high threshold however as LT did have 79 receptions in his second season (very close) and he did have over 50 receptions 9 out of his 11 seasons. LeVeon Bell had 75 receptions in 12 games 2016 so pretty fair to say he would have had over 80 if he had played a couple more of those games. He only played in 6 games 2015 so couldn't do it that year. He was a pretty different player as a rookie. Bush had 6 receptions per game in 2007 for the 12 games he played which was on pace for 97 receptions that year, in 2008 he had 5.2 receptions per game over 10 games he played, was on pace for 83 receptions that year. Bush ended up being used more as a runner later on in his career with Miami and the Lions.

Marshall Faulk had 5 seasons in a row of 80 or more receptions from 1998 to 2002. My query only went back to 2000.

Brian Wesbrook had 73 receptions in 13 games in 2004 on pace for 90 that year, 61 in 12 games 2005 on pace for 80 that year, 77 in 15 games 2006 on pace for 82 that year.

Danny Woodhead had 76 receptions in 2013 so just short of the 80 reception threshold. His use was sporadic with NE and he has been injured several times in his career.

Darren Sproles 75 receptions in 13 games 2012 on pace for 92 receptions that year, 71 receptions in 15 gams 2013 on pace for 76 receptions that year, just short of the 80 reception threshold. Sproles was competing with LT for opportunities early on in his career, so hard for him to do it then with LT also being such a good receiver.

It is a tall order and not something that should be expected as normal, its exceptional. Of the 20 times that a RB has had 80 receptions since 2000 eight of those have been in the last 4 years, so happening more frequently than it has in the past. I think mostly due to teams in general passing the ball more than they used to.

A more reasonable projection for McCaffrey might be 70 or more receptions rather than 80. Regardless I would expect McCaffrey to be one of the reception leaders at RB for the next few years.

I think that, pretty much outside of Sean Payton, NFL coaches just don't see it as a good way to run an offense long-term once they try it.

Fair point about Bush's injuries, but he brings up another interesting point.  With even better efficiency than McCaffrey's, he was eventually replaced in the role by the one team that really is adamant to keep the role around. 
He replaced Bush with Darrin Sproles and business as usual. The replacement was more about injuries and other things than Payton deciding that throwing to the RB a lot wasn't worth it.

So to figure out his expected career average, you simply need to take the number of times the panthers have selected a RB in the first round with his exact genetic make up under Coach Rivera.  Combine that with how many games he will miss each year along with the game flow of each future game he plays.  Add in some random stats from Danny Woodhead or any other white RB, divide by his mother’s age and multiply by pi.    

I’ve said it before, but the kid looked like he was thinking too much last year.  Trying not to make a mistake and only taking what was in front of him.   I expect the game to slow down for him this year and we see some more explosiveness.  He may never be a three down back or catch 80 balls again, but he will touch the ball quite often and most likely be in the top 10 in RB scoring for a few years.  I’m happy with that production.  

When i projected him for of 70 rec last year people called me crazy. I thought he could hit 100 rec as early as his rookie season and he was on pace to for most of the season.

People need to stow their opinion of what a great fantasy rb is, because it has changed.

McCaffrey won't get 100 receptions for the simple reason that Carolina just doesn't throw it that much. They haven't ranked in the top half of the league in passing attempts under Rivera; in their Super Bowl run they were 27th in the league in attempts. This is not the Greatest Show on Turf, nor Tomlinson's San Diego, nor New Orleans under Payton, nor Pittsburgh now. All of those teams ranked in the top 10 in passing attempts. Unless you think Caroline is going to throw it 100 more times than they have averaged in the past 8 years, you can't project McCaffrey for 100 receptions, and even repeating 80 seems unrealistic.

But "a lot for a RB" is a pretty good bet.

Christian McCaffrey says he added "about five pounds of good muscle."

McCaffrey downplayed the changes, but he looked noticeably bigger in photos from the offseason program and confirmed he wanted to add some strength following his rookie season. "My core strength, my upper body strength and my lower body," McCaffrey said. "I’m just trying to increase all those. Make sure I can break tackles in the second level and be able to turn those three-, four-yard runs into some bigger runs." McCaffrey struggled to produce on the ground early in his rookie season, but he averaged 4.7 yards per carry over the final eight games. Even with C. J. Anderson in the fold, McCaffrey is a solid RB2 option in standard leagues and a borderline RB1 in PPR.

Source: panthers.com

May 29 - 10:26 AM

Raymond Summerlin‏@RMSummerlin

Over his last 10 full seasons as an HC or OC, Norv Turner's offenses have targeted RBs on 25.7% of their attempts. NFL average last year was 21%.

7:42 PM - 23 May 2018

I wouldn't expect Norval to scheme up 130 or so targets to RBs, I think 100 targets to RBs is probably about the high end of my expectations for this offense.  McCaffrey will probably get the lion's share of those targets but 80 catches does seem unlikely in a Norv coached offense.

And no one should be comparing Sean Payton coached RBs with RBs on any other team. That guy loves throwing to RBs more than any coach in NFL history by a wide margin.

Raymond Summerlin‏@RMSummerlin

Over his last 10 full seasons as an HC or OC, Norv Turner's offenses have targeted RBs on 25.7% of their attempts. NFL average last year was 21%.

7:42 PM - 23 May 2018
Back of the envelope math here, but Carolina did it 27.4% of the time last year under their old OC.

Also a lot of the points I was trying to make in the Dynasty thread have already been laid out here. 80 catches is definitely not a reasonable expectation, 60~70 though? Certainly doable.

Also a lot of the points I was trying to make in the Dynasty thread have already been laid out here. 80 catches is definitely not a reasonable expectation, 60~70 though? Certainly doable.
Yeah, I would put his O/U for receptions at around 65 in this offense.  I would be inclined to take the under but Norv has, in the past, featured a good receiving back more than he typically does.

4.7 ypc over the last 8 games?  Wow, that really sucks.  Clearly too small to run effectively in the NFL.
I mentioned this is the dynasty value thread but he really looked better late in the season so maybe he started seeing things better, was thinking less, was trying not to break every run ... who knows. He looked dynamic in preseason too. I feel like he looked like he was pressing through the first half of the season but that could me seeing what I wanted to see as a Panthers fan and CMC owner. FWIW I’m on the fence as to his prospects moving forward. I expect his rushing numbers to get better and his receiving production to go down. The question for me is how far up and down on each. 

I mentioned this is the dynasty value thread but he really looked better late in the season so maybe he started seeing things better, was thinking less, was trying not to break every run ... who knows. He looked dynamic in preseason too. I feel like he looked like he was pressing through the first half of the season but that could me seeing what I wanted to see as a Panthers fan and CMC owner. FWIW I’m on the fence as to his prospects moving forward. I expect his rushing numbers to get better and his receiving production to go down. The question for me is how far up and down on each. 

His significant increase in rushing productivity also coincided with his rushing workload increasing almost 40%.  I can’t help but think the 2 are related.  RBs seem to need to develop a rhythm and that’s difficult to do if they are only getting intermittent carries.

Excellent comment on McCaffrey from the most recent ProFootballTalk story on him:

Called it draft day that Kamara would be the better pro and it’s really not even close.

I watched 3 or 4 Panthers’ games last year and Christian did NOTHING to stand out. He looks small, slow top speed, and barely quicker than linebackers, and showed no ability to rush the ball, especially between the tackles.

He was only a rookie so we’ll see if he develops. But honestly, he looks like a 3-4 round scat back to me.

Wait, you think McCaffrey is as good as Kamara?
Too early to say. I do think CMC is a better overall RB but jury still out. Making definitive statements after one season is foolish. Kamara also has the benefit of an elite offensive coordinator in Payton. Would love to see CMC on the Saints. 

Too early to say. I do think CMC is a better overall RB but jury still out. Making definitive statements after one season is foolish. Kamara also has the benefit of an elite offensive coordinator in Payton. Would love to see CMC on the Saints. 
It's not too early to say. I don't think there's any doubt that Kamara is a superior talent to CMC.

Kevin Dyson was selected ahead of Randy Moss. Would it have been too early to say after their first year in the league that Moss was the superior talent?

Sometimes, you just have to go by what your eyes tell you.

He took a good angle on that play but if you watch it closely, Saints defender Marcus Williams (#43) is going just as fast as he is.
Sure but he’s not exactly closing on him like you’d expect to happen if CMC lacked top end speed. I just found that criticism humorous when on one of the last plays of the season for McCaffrey he showed he didn’t lack long speed and certainly didn’t lack the quickness to burn the LB. He burned LBs all year in the passing game, I’d consider that to be a strength of his. Plenty of valid criticisms exist, seems silly for the writer to throw those two in there.

Users who are viewing this thread