What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (1 Viewer)

Bizarre. Had
Small and slow and now officially back to pumpkin status - fitting it happened between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Meanwhile Paychecko averaged 5.1 YPC yesterday...
I’m actually contemplating putting Pacheco on the block, as I think he may be a sell high at this point
I don’t disagree with this but what would you be looking to get? He is a tough player to value. Team loves him, high powered offense, and he seems to have ascended to their RB1. On the other hand this is a pass first squad, he is not involved in the passing game, and game script could still dictate his usage.
I’m just not sure if he’s special. He’s fast, and he has some power. But he doesn’t seem like a dynamic RB, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him not have a long shelf life past 2022.

Thinking a 2023 2nd would be a price I’d be willing to part with him for. There might be enough buzz to get it, especially from a contender (late pick) and if they need a RB this year.

I might float it & see if anyone nibbles.
He is dynamic- his size speed combo is very impressive. His main issue is that he lacks patience and is always trying to run at full speed right from the handoff and doesn’t read his blockers well. I made a joke earlier that he’s probably not used to holes since Rutgers o-line was always grossly overmatched in the B1G. If he can be molded a little I think he has a shot provided he gets the carries- but with all that said he was a 7th round pick. It’s not hard to imagine him getting replaced by a RB in the next class.

What's the significance of Pacheco's very low PFF grade, 56.3, versus CEH's grade of 66.4? Do they both leave yards on the table? Is Pacheco terrible at pass protection or route running?

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Clyde Edwards-Helaire suffered a high-ankle sprain in Sunday's win over the Chargers.​

CEH exited early in the first quarter of Sunday's contest and didn't return to the field. Now that we know the details of his injury, we will wait to see how long the Chiefs expect their former first-round pick to be sidelined. Speaking frankly, CEH had already been sidelined prior to this injury. He saw a six-percent snap share in the team's Week 10 win over the Jaguars, which was a drop from the 17 percent snap share he saw the previous week. Rookie Isiah Pacheco should be in line for additional work in the running game, while Jerick McKinnon should serve as the pass-catching back. Any extended absence by Edwards-Helaire could also breathe life into the Ronald Jones hive, which has lied dormant for most of the 2022 season.
Nov 21, 2022, 5:56 PM ET

Chiefs placed RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) on injured reserve.​

Edwards-Helaire had been all but phased out of the KC offense before suffering a high ankle sprain in Week 11 against the Chargers. His absence of at least four weeks will being some clarity to the Chiefs backfield. Isiah Pacheco, coming off a career game against the Chargers on Sunday Night Football, will continue as the team's primary early-down back while Jerick McKinnon functions are the main pass catchers out of the backfield. McKinnon's role makes him a better play than Pacheco in PPR formats. CEH's injury could force the Chiefs to make Ronald Jones active for the first time all season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Nov 23, 2022, 12:52 PM ET

Chiefs coach Andy Reid told reporters Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle/IR) is "close" to a return from injured reserve, but is "not ready."​

Edwards-Helaire suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 11 and is not expected to be a major part of the Chiefs RB rotation whenever he does return. Edwards-Helaire will probably not be ready to go before fantasy playoffs wrap, if he does come back this season. He'll enter the final year of his rookie contract in 2023 as a potential change of scenery candidate barring major positive developments.
SOURCE: Herbie Teope on Twitter
Dec 20, 2022, 1:04 PM ET

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) practiced Tuesday.​

CEH, who hasn't played since Week 11, is likely to return to Kansas City's lineup for their Divisional Round matchup with the Jaguars. In his absence, Jerick McKinnon has seized most of the high value touches in the KC backfield, including much of the passing down work in the pass-heavy Chiefs attack. Edwards-Helaire's return could complicate McKinnon's role or take snaps away from early down banger Isiah Pacheco.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Herbie Teope on Twitter
Jan 17, 2023, 12:56 PM ET

I wonder how the dude in my league who offered me my own pick back for him (now the 1.01) feels about this.

Wow. In the one league where I decided to try some things and roster him, I got offered a second rounder tops. Last year. He didn't even draw a nibble this year. Good work.

I wonder how the dude in my league who offered me my own pick back for him (now the 1.01) feels about this.

Wow. In the one league where I decided to try some things and roster him, I got offered a second rounder tops. Last year. He didn't even draw a nibble this year. Good work.
It was last year immediately after his brief 3-game stretch of competence.

To be fair, that deal inspired the mass sell-off and quest for the 1.01. Before that I was a perennial playoff team, so yeah…

But I imagine paying any 1st for CEH can’t be a good feeling in hindsight.

Last edited:

The Chiefs' did not active Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) from injured reserve ahead of their Divisional Round game against the Jaguars.​

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid expected this early in the week, saying Edwards-Helaire would "probably not" be activated before the game. Kansas City's backfield will once again be split by Isiah Pacheco and Jerick McKinnon. Facing a Jacksonville defense that is far more susceptible through the air than on the ground, McKinnon has a better fantasy outlook this week.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

The Chiefs' did not active Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) from injured reserve ahead of their Divisional Round game against the Jaguars.​

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid expected this early in the week, saying Edwards-Helaire would "probably not" be activated before the game. Kansas City's backfield will once again be split by Isiah Pacheco and Jerick McKinnon. Facing a Jacksonville defense that is far more susceptible through the air than on the ground, McKinnon has a better fantasy outlook this week.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter
That’s all you need to know about CEH. Next stop league waiver wire.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid there is a chance Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) is activated from injured reserve for the AFC Championship game.​

Reid noted that Jody Fortson, who is on injured reserve with an elbow injury, is more likely to be activated than Edwards-Helaire. Given Reid's lack of optimism about CEH returning, it's fairly safe to rule him out for the AFC Championship. Jerick McKinnon and Isiah Pacheco will split the Chiefs' backfield again this week. CEH will look to return for the Super Bowl if Kansas City beats the Bengals.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Nate Taylor on Twitter
Jan 25, 2023, 1:26 PM ET

Chiefs activated RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire from injured reserve.​

While CEH was activated from injured reserve, wide receiver Mecole Hardman was placed on injured reserve, ruling out any possibility of him playing in next week's Super Bowl against the Eagles. CEH last suited up for the Chiefs in Week 11 but has become an afterthought in the minds of most since then. With the emergence of rookie running back Isiah Pacheco in the running game and Jerick McKinnon in the passing game, the Chiefs have little reason to utilize CEH, who handled double-digit carries just once this season. While it appears he'll play in next week's game, Edwards-Helaire is nothing more than a galaxy brain play in Super Bowl DFS contests, as his usage is likely to be minimal.
Feb 6, 2023, 12:58 PM ET

I would sell him for a bag of skittles. I'm thankful I only have one share.
That train has sailed.

At this point you’re hoping for like, a skittle.
I have Pacheco in 2 dynasty leagues and they are deep enough I may try to get ceh assuming ceh is on the roster post NFL draft.

I think a future 5th rounder will be what I offer as I assume other teams just want ceh off their roster to pick up a flyer.

We never even got to taste the rainbow.

I'mma do a victory lap on this one. I was getting ripped up and down in this thread about CEH and how I projected him to be an ineffective pro. People were questioning my "newfangled" metrics. Well, speed score just does not lie if that you're that far away from the target.

Just...you can't get around being slow for your size. Helaireable had the double whammy of being not elusive, either. Just a death knell.

We never even got to taste the rainbow.

I'mma do a victory lap on this one. I was getting ripped up and down in this thread about CEH and how I projected him to be an ineffective pro. People were questioning my "newfangled" metrics. Well, speed score just does not lie if that you're that far away from the target.

Just...you can't get around being slow for your size. Helaireable had the double whammy of being not elusive, either. Just a death knell.
I still can’t believe my good fortune of someone offering me my own 1st round pick back for him after his 2-game competence streak.

Welcome to the team, Bijan. :wub:

I think a future 5th rounder will be what I offer as I assume other teams just want ceh off their roster to pick up a flyer.
Ironically, I drafted Pacheco with a 5th.

Still considering, selling him predraft, fearing with the Chiefs might do. If they draft Gibbs, for example, Pacheco is gonna take a massive hit.

Still considering, selling him predraft, fearing with the Chiefs might do. If they draft Gibbs, for example, Pacheco is gonna take a massive hit.

I get a weird feeling they'll draft a guy, but it won't be a huge priority. Their priorities should be protecting Mahomes and getting a defensive pass rush. Or a receiver given their skill position situation.

They've seen what they have in Pacheco and just got burned taking Helaireable in the first. Another high pick at RB just seems unlikely to me. Maybe they'll chase the dust, but I kinda doubt it.

That doesn't mean the guy they draft in the fourth or fifth isn't a better back and Pacheco doesn't lose his job. I'm just trying to put myself in their position. Having learned from their last mistake...

eta* I mean, we saw what happened with Etienne, but the coach there was openly transparent before draft day that he wanted a more explosive back and had already had team meetings with guys that let you know he was serious about his vision (even if his vision reeked of incompetence).

get a weird feeling they'll draft a guy, but it won't be a huge priority. Their priorities should be protecting Mahomes and getting a defensive pass rush. Or a receiver given their skill position situation.
I would counter that RB may actually be among KC’s biggest needs. I could see them spending a late 1st.

Look at it this way - they needed a RB bad enough to draft CEH, and yeah, they whiffed. He’s been beaten out by a 7th round rookie & the ghost of Jarick McKinnon. Which means they still need a RB bad enough to draft one early.

They’ve basically got Pacheco & McKinnon - and McKinnon is a UFA who’s blown out his knee twice, and turns 31 in May.

Unlikely the Chiefs pick up CEH’s 5th year, or offer an extension next season.

Pacheco has shown flashes, but I’m not convinced he’s good so much as he’s a guy who gets it done better than CEH between the tackles.

Imagine the potency of the Chiefs offense if they actually had a plus RB. Let’s say it’s Gibbs, with the receiving chops of Jet. That would seem to be a substantial upgrade.

I don’t see Reid shying away based on sunk cost fallacy with CEH. I could see them investing in another position just because they determine it’s a bigger need.

But that offense really could use a dynamic RB and would benefit hugely from it. More than a few NFL mock drafts have them going Robinson or Gibbs. I’d love to see it.

Imagine the potency of the Chiefs offense if they actually had a plus RB

I don't think their line is constructed that way. They strike me as a pass blocking line. That offense comes and goes with Mahomes.

But that offense really could use a dynamic RB and would benefit hugely from it.

Sure thing. It's possible that could happen. It wouldn't be sunk cost, though. Sunk cost is when you refuse to address a current situation because it cost you too much in the spending phase. I don't think they're refusing because they already spent and don't want to spend again because of the spending cost, I'm saying they won't spend because they learned. A difference, IMO.

The writing is less on the wall than it was with Robinson/Etienne and Carter/Breece Hall. I think people get scared and gun shy because one sees a shiny and new asset all of the sudden get the rug pulled out from under them, but I'm not sure it happens so much here. Anyway, we'll find out in April.

That's why draft capital and investment in these guys is such a big thing. If you asked me if you could get an early second or late first for Pacheco, I'd jump on it, so there's definitely draft capital concerns I have.

But back to CEH. We'll see where he lands or how they use him. He's still on that first contract next year. He might get cut.

There are also a plethora of free agent running backs that will be reasonably priced to bring in. In an offense that is built to pass, I would place a large wager they do not take a back in the early rounds. With Ju-Ju and Hardman free agents (and Toney struggling to stay on the field), I would put receiver as a much bigger priority. The Pacheco and McKinnon combo has collectively produced very well and I imagine they can get McKinnon to come back for another SB run. Draft another later round guy or add someone else from the FA pile and you have plenty for a pass friendly offense.

There are also a plethora of free agent running backs that will be reasonably priced to bring in. In an offense that is built to pass, I would place a large wager they do not take a back in the early rounds. With Ju-Ju and Hardman free agents (and Toney struggling to stay on the field), I would put receiver as a much bigger priority. The Pacheco and McKinnon combo has collectively produced very well and I imagine they can get McKinnon to come back for another SB run. Draft another later round guy or add someone else from the FA pile and you have plenty for a pass friendly offense.
They get a healthy Justyn Ross next year, they will be fine :)

Sure thing. It's possible that could happen. It wouldn't be sunk cost, though. Sunk cost is when you refuse to address a current situation because it cost you too much in the spending phase. I don't think they're refusing because they already spent and don't want to spend again because of the spending cost, I'm saying they won't spend because they learned. A difference, IMO.
I’m not sure we aren’t saying the same things.

You’re saying they won’t spend on a RB because they failed at spending on a RB.

I’m saying as a result they still need a RB because they failed.

If they have the opportunity go get an elite RB but don’t because they already spent on CEH and failed, isn’t that sunk cost? e.g. I spent money badly on a thing, so now I won’t spend more money on the same thing even though I still need the thing.

The more I watch Gibbs, the more I see Jamaal Charles. I think it’s a better comp than Kamara. And without Hill, and no WR stepping up into the Hill role, they need a receiving back who can fly more than they need a pounder - I agree with you that their line is better set up to pass protect. Makes Gibbs a near perfect fit.

Last edited:
The writing is less on the wall than it was with Robinson/Etienne and Carter/Breece Hall.
Respectfully, I don’t see JAX as a comparable situation.

ETN was coming off of a significant foot injury, and easing him back seemed to be a planned thing.

Once ETN proved healthy, they jettisoned Robinson, which at the time felt a little abrupt/odd.

None of the FAs or McKinnon have Gibbs upside.

And McKinnon is gonna be 31

Rookie RBs are pretty affordable at the end of the 1st or into the 2nd compared to FA, even in a seemingly depressed RB market due to the glut.

I agree they’re going to need WR - I also wouldn’t be shocked if they spent a 1st on a WR. That said, if their guy isn’t there by the time they pick, Gibbs could fill that role as well. Kid can fly, and he runs routes like a WR.

It’s all speculation at this point, but I don’t think Pacheco/McKinnon were all that effective this year. And I don’t see anyone on the FA list that would be a big upgrade without spending on a Jacobs or Barkley, which I don’t see them doing.

Also I know the FF community has given up on Skyy Moore for dead after just 1 season, but he seems to be coming along a bit. I wouldn’t be at all shocked for him to have a prominent role in 2023.

Last edited:
None of the FAs or McKinnon have Gibbs upside.

And McKinnon is gonna be 31

Rookie RBs are pretty affordable at the end of the 1st or into the 2nd compared to FA, even in a seemingly depressed RB market due to the glut.

I agree they’re going to need WR - I also wouldn’t be shocked if they spent a 1st on a WR. That said, if their guy isn’t there by the time they pick, Gibbs could fill that role as well. Kid can fly, and he runs routes like a WR.

It’s all speculation at this point, but I don’t think Pacheco/McKinnon were all that effective this year. And I don’t see anyone on the FA list that would be a big upgrade without spending on a Jacobs or Barkley, which I don’t see them doing.

Also I know the FF community has given up on Skyy Moore for dead after just 1 season, but he seems to be coming along a bit. I wouldn’t be at all shocked for him to have a prominent role in 2023.
I get the excitement of pairing Gibbs with KC, I just don’t think they will find it as big of a priority as you are stating. As far as effectiveness I would argue 242 rushes for 1121 yards (4.6) and 69 rec for 642 (9.3) is something Reid is content with. Could it improve? Of course, but you could argue that with most positions. The offense runs through Mahomes, and relying on what is carrying over from last year would be surprising IMO. Not saying Moore is dead, but he also did not prove a lot this last year either.

Not saying Moore is dead, but he also did not prove a lot this last year either.
Based on what, exactly?

He’s been a KR/PR, and only used sporadically as a WR.

The last playoff game he proved he can get YAC & was a reliable target when targeted after their WRs went down. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get a little more usage in the SB if their WR corps isn’t at full strength.

Not saying Moore is dead, but he also did not prove a lot this last year either.
Based on what, exactly?

The last playoff game he proved he can get YAC & was a reliable target when targeted after their WRs went down. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get a little more usage in the SB if their WR corps isn’t at full strength.
Maybe I should rephrase differently. I don’t think a 22-250 regular season stat line lets the staff know if he is ready to be a starter yet. He had an okay rookie season, but I doubt KC goes into next year with him in the top 1-2 receiver spots. We know what MVS is and Toney is probably the most talented but cannot be counted on to stay on the field. Justyn Ross? It would be insane for them to enter camp with 1. MVS 2. Toney 3. Moore 4. Ross. And Kelce is turning 34 this year. Time will tell but I would put receiver as a much bigger priority than running back and I think they will as well.

Based on what, exactly?

Maybe I should rephrase differently. I don’t think a 22-250 regular season stat line lets the staff know if he is ready to be a starter yet. He had an okay rookie season, but I doubt KC goes into next year with him in the top 1-2 receiver spots. We know what MVS is and Toney is probably the most talented but cannot be counted on to stay on the field. Justyn Ross? It would be insane for them to enter camp with 1. MVS 2. Toney 3. Moore 4. Ross. And Kelce is turning 34 this year. Time will tell but I would put receiver as a much bigger priority than running back and I think they will as well.

Based on what, exactly?

I’m not saying they will go into next season with MVS, Toney, Moorec, & Ross.

I’m saying Moore could be their WR3.

He has 2nd round draft capital, and he’s been reliable when he’s had opportunity. The opportunities have been limited, at best, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was their WR3 next year. They invested enough that I expect them to give him that chance.

I didn’t say anything about him being the 1 or 2. Weird.

Based on what, exactly?

He has 2nd round draft capital, and he’s been reliable when he’s had opportunity. The opportunities have been limited, at best, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was their WR3 next year. They invested enough that I expect them to give him that chance.

reliable only if you ignore his punt returns. and just want a body on the field

Based on what, exactly?

Wrong thread for this discussion and I know this will just keep going on endlessly. You said you wouldn’t be surprised if they took an RB in the first, I made points on why I think they are content with their setup and added that I believe receiver is a much bigger priority. We can see how the Chiefs feel this off-season.

Who am I to question Andy Reid but I saw a lot of good in CEH’s game when he was on the field. All the sudden, he is a pariah but I can see him turning into something with another chance. He could always catch the football and that is a valuable asset. I actually like Pacheco but he has chicken legs that need an NFL weight room if he is going to turn the corner. CEH has the package; he just needs to unlock the mental block that is holding him back. Never has there been so much shade for a player that average 4.4 YPC and can catch the ball.

Based on what, exactly?

Wrong thread for this discussion and I know this will just keep going on endlessly. You said you wouldn’t be surprised if they took an RB in the first, I made points on why I think they are content with their setup and added that I believe receiver is a much bigger priority. We can see how the Chiefs feel this off-season.
I agree that WR is their priority.

I also believe if the targets they want at WR aren’t there it would be smart for them to consider Gibbs, as he’d fill that role in the receiving game. The kid can fly.

Time will tell what they do. I highly doubt they’re going to peruse FBG to see what you and I think. lol

Curious if he will be active today. For the sake of my daily contests if I need to pivot. I only grabbed him in a handful of spots but with social activities today, it may be hard to pivot if he is a late scratch.

I had a dream last night that he played and fumbled, costing KC the win.

Fortunately for chiefs fans, I’m not psychic - probably just a undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato.

Inactive

One of the biggest 1.01 bust of all time in fantasy rookie drafts
The crazy part to me is how well (no, not Barry Sanders, but seemingly very solid results) he's actually performed when he plays. Why is he all of a sudden inactive the whole second half of the season? I don't get it. "CLEARANCE! BUY NOW!" maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread