What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dameon Pierce, HOU (1 Viewer)

Texans RB Dameon Pierce is listed as the No. 1 running back on Houston's unofficial depth chart heading into Houston's Week 1 matchup against the Colts on Sunday.​

No surprise based on how the preseason went. Rex Burkhead is listed as the No. 2 back and could siphon off a third-down role, but Pierce is likely the lead back of Houston's committee entering the season. Opponents ran for 4.4 yards per attempt against the Colts in 2021 and Pierce is probably best-regarded right on the RB2/RB3 borderline for Week 1 as we wait to see exactly how the touch count splits out.
SOURCE: Adam Wexler on Twitter
Sep 6, 2022, 2:11 PM ET

He got Auto drafted in one of my leagues over the weekend at 4.4 as RB17, seems like even the casual leagues are in on him in their rankings.

Starting him in 3 leagues at flex, sitting him in 1. Will be key to see how he's involved (or not) in the passing game.

We are talking about the Houston Texans, right? This is a professional football team that has hired Lovie Smith and I'm not sure that it wasn't because he was the only guy left standing in the building at the end of last year, there might not have even been a necessary interview.

8-24 his last 32 game as a Head Football Coach in the NFL back in '14-'15 with the Bucs.

Temper expectations for everyone on that football team.

We are talking about the Houston Texans, right? This is a professional football team that has hired Lovie Smith and I'm not sure that it wasn't because he was the only guy left standing in the building at the end of last year, there might not have even been a necessary interview.

8-24 his last 32 game as a Head Football Coach in the NFL back in '14-'15 with the Bucs.

Go check his record at Illinois after the Bucs too.

The “I think the Texans may be ok” takes here and elsewhere are truly baffling. They’re going 3-14.

You missed the best part. The year before they gave the Ravens two 3rd round picks for the privilege of hiring a 65 year old lifer assistant who had never been a head coach. Because literally no one wanted the job after BOB got done destroying the franchise. Then they gave that HC a $17M buyout because they fired him after year 1 of a four year contract.

Last edited:

this is fantasy football, right? Don’t think I get points for the Texans winning.

GET ON THE DAMEON PIERCE TRAIN OR GET OUT OF THE WAY. LOVIE SMITH LIKES THE KID ENOUGH FOR HIM TO BE THE STARTING RUNNING BACK OF THE NFL TEAM THAT HE COACHES. LOVIE SMITH LOVES TO RUN THE BALL. YEAR 1 IS ABOUT DEVELOPING CULTURE. RUN THE BALL, PLAY GOOD DEFENSE, AND BUILD FROM THERE.

PIERCE WILL BE TOP 10 IN RB SCORING THIS SEASON. HE'S GOT THOSE YOUNG LEGS AND NO OBVIOUS COMPETITION BESIDES SEXY REX BURKHEAD.

Texans coach Lovie Smith has officially named Dameon Pierce the team's starting running back.​

"He's earned an opportunity to lead us," Smith said Wednesday. "It was asked, is he our starting running back? He's earned the right to line up there with the ones, the first snap and I'm anxious to see him play." That second line is a bit of a hedge, but probably just an admission that Pierce is not going to be an every-down player. Rex Burkhead is expected to handle passing downs, at least in the early going. You can question how valuable a rookie early-down runner is going to be on what projects to remain one of the league's worst teams, but Pierce has the talent to be a difference-maker. He is worthy of Week 1 FLEX spots.
SOURCE: houstontexans.com
Sep 8, 2022, 1:27 PM ET

GET ON THE DAMEON PIERCE TRAIN OR GET OUT OF THE WAY. LOVIE SMITH LIKES THE KID ENOUGH FOR HIM TO BE THE STARTING RUNNING BACK OF THE NFL TEAM THAT HE COACHES. LOVIE SMITH LOVES TO RUN THE BALL. YEAR 1 IS ABOUT DEVELOPING CULTURE. RUN THE BALL, PLAY GOOD DEFENSE, AND BUILD FROM THERE.

PIERCE WILL BE TOP 10 IN RB SCORING THIS SEASON. HE'S GOT THOSE YOUNG LEGS AND NO OBVIOUS COMPETITION BESIDES SEXY REX BURKHEAD.
I'll take the over on your top 10 RB prediction... don't see that offense supporting a top 10 anything. You typically have to get close to the end zone in order to score at touchdown.

And all caps... really?

I'll take the over on your top 10 RB prediction... don't see that offense supporting a top 10 anything. You typically have to get close to the end zone in order to score at touchdown.

And all caps... really?
Pretty sure that was a joke.

FWIW, Lovie managed to get some good fantasy seasons out of backs like Forte, Thomas Jones, and even one good season out of Doug Martin. All of those guys were drafted considerably higher than Pierce though.

He wasn't so much hired as promoted, after the Texans braintrust seriously considered Josh freaking McCown.

He wasn't so much hired as promoted, after the Texans braintrust seriously considered Josh freaking McCown.
:hifive:

Most sites have him at around 8 to 10 points predicted depending on your scoring format. I think the Colts just reported one of their linebackers out for Week 1, which makes things slightly more bullish for our new savior Dameon Pierce. I don't see why he can't put up a similar statline to what Darrell Henderson did last night.

15 carries for 63 yards / 3 receptions for 21 yards is my prediction. Which would be good for 11.4 points in PPR leagues. If he scores a touchdown, then it'll be a very good week for him. It's somewhat of a blind lead of faith, but he's a starting RB that's like to see 12+ touches week in, week out unless he falls flat and shows he can't compete at this level. Colts are going to be one of his toughest matchups, so it's going to be interesting to see what he puts up as it will likely be close to his floor.

Curious as to what his pass catching potential is. I know that's Burkhead's game, so tempering my expectations beyond 3 catches. Why even bother rostering Burkhead if you're not going to feature him even a little bit? You feel me?

Most sites have him at around 8 to 10 points predicted depending on your scoring format. I think the Colts just reported one of their linebackers out for Week 1, which makes things slightly more bullish for our new savior Dameon Pierce. I don't see why he can't put up a similar statline to what Darrell Henderson did last night.

15 carries for 63 yards / 3 receptions for 21 yards is my prediction. Which would be good for 11.4 points in PPR leagues. If he scores a touchdown, then it'll be a very good week for him. It's somewhat of a blind lead of faith, but he's a starting RB that's like to see 12+ touches week in, week out unless he falls flat and shows he can't compete at this level. Colts are going to be one of his toughest matchups, so it's going to be interesting to see what he puts up as it will likely be close to his floor.

Curious as to what his pass catching potential is. I know that's Burkhead's game, so tempering my expectations beyond 3 catches. Why even bother rostering Burkhead if you're not going to feature him even a little bit? You feel me?

Not nitpicking, but Leonard is not just “one of their linebackers.” He is the stud anchor that is an all pro linebacker and leading tackler on the colts. He is captain of the defense and a big part of their success the last couple seasons. He is a huge loss.

FWIW, Lovie managed to get some good fantasy seasons out of backs like Forte, Thomas Jones, and even one good season out of Doug Martin. All of those guys were drafted considerably higher than Pierce though.
Pep Hamilton will be running the offense, and I'm intrigued on how the offense is going to look this year.

Pep Hamilton will be running the offense, and I'm intrigued on how the offense is going to look this year.
I think they will exceed expectations. Not world beaters but better than how they're being perceived.

He went around pick 110 in my local league this weekend. I’m not a believer. Terrible team, terrible offense, terrible QB, terrible coach, feels like another preseason hype pick that we’ll look back on and laugh about. Taking him in round 4 or 5 ahead of way more proven and productive players is nuts imo but to each their own. People always getting excited about these new shiny toys and pass on proven players for them.
Every year people take the bait.

He went around pick 110 in my local league this weekend. I’m not a believer. Terrible team, terrible offense, terrible QB, terrible coach, feels like another preseason hype pick that we’ll look back on and laugh about. Taking him in round 4 or 5 ahead of way more proven and productive players is nuts imo but to each their own. People always getting excited about these new shiny toys and pass on proven players for them.
Congrats on winning the championship in your 1 week league. All of mine go through week 16.

Congrats on winning the championship in your 1 week league. All of mine go through week 16.
It won’t matter for you if you’re running this guy out there every week.

Are you serious? lol. It was one week. You really think Burkhead going to out touch throughout the season? Come on.

Was a weird game. I think this is about what I was expecting in terms of touches for Pierce this week. I could see this time share shifting more towards Pierce as he gets more comfortable in the offense (especially in hurry up situations). Burkhead is more of a role-player long run IMO. Houston offense looked decent which is a good sign.

Users who are viewing this thread