What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, DAL (1 Viewer)

Everything we're reading right now are defense attorney arguments uncritically repeated by sports reporters.

Maybe there's something there and maybe it's debunked by noon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mavis said:
Yeah, if you look at GMFB twitter, it looks like they made a few tweets earlier, but are trying to bury them now as deleting would look bad. No, they have not talked about Zeke. They are talking Trubisky though, because...thats important. 
After 8 AM, they finally brought Ian Rapoport on to discuss the Zeke updates.  He spent about 1 minute giving updates and then they moved on to discussing Hopkins new contract.  Very odd, this should be their main story right now.  The only thing I took away from the update is that he said that "the nfl does believe that all evidence was made available to everyone and that the decision made by Roger Goodell to put Ezekiel Elliott on the bench for 6 games was based on all of that information."  Seems to indicate Goodell knew about Kia Roberts recommendations but they didn't specifically say that.

ETA: Actually now they are finally discussing the accusations of the "league orchastrated conspiracy".

Everything we're reading right now are defense attorney arguments uncritically repeated by sports reporters.

Maybe there's something there and maybe it's debunked by noon.
Everything before this was the NFL saying its case. Did we know their lead investigator said 0 games before she testified? No, we didnt.

So if she is debunked, she lied under oath. 

After 8 AM, they finally brought Ian Rapoport on to discuss the Zeke updates.  He spent about 1 minute giving updates and then they moved on to discussing Hopkins new contract.  Very odd, this should be their main story right now.  The only thing I took away from the update is that he said that "the nfl does believe that all evidence was made available to everyone and that the decision made by Roger Goodell to put Ezekiel Elliott on the bench for 6 games was based on all of that information."  Seems to indicate Goodell knew about Kia Roberts recommendations but they didn't specifically say that.

ETA: Actually now they are finally discussing the accusations of the "league orchastrated conspiracy".
Yeah, they are stepping all around it with very little discussion and only providing "the info." They are not discussing it like they do everything else with opinions and what not.

Update: Someone called out GMFB on twitter and Schrager responded, right before they talked about it...

Peter Schrager‏Verified account @PSchrags

Replying to @NothingBurgerz

got u now.

8:02 AM - 1 Sep 2017
Interesting, why wait until called out to talk about it?

Because now it's leaked and it's another black eye on the NFL. I don't know how an organization like this has such terrible PR and processes. It's clear it's just chaos and they do well based on the nature and monopoly of the product and the desperation of dying television companies.
The league has terrible PR and processes for the same reason many large companies struggle - poor leadership.  It starts at the top, and this is more evidence - yet again - that Goodell is a subpar CEO.

Yup, before a ruling was issued. Never saw that in any court ever. They already have lawsuits written up in most times in these cases, but before the ruling? Dang. 

I have one question for all the Goodell defenders and that everyone should think about.

A commishes job is to protect the shield of the NFL, did he do that here? 
Clearly not.  He keeps pissing on the shield over and over and over.

As a Zeke owner, I'll join in the excitement.  As a pessimist, since the NFLPA is taking this to court unless the ban is reduced to zero games (not happening), why would the NFL reduce his suspension from six games now?  So now I feel like this is going to be six or zero, with the horrible deal in place by the union giving Goodell insane power which steers me to believe its more likely to end up being six than zero.  

The lawsuit alleges that the conspiracy was to keep this recommendation from Goodell.  The person at fault appears to be Lisa Friel. She's in charge of domestic assault cases, and was the one who barred Roberts from attending the meeting with Goodell and sharing her views.

It appears like it might not be Goodell's fault this time. The articles seem to point out that Friel didn't include Roberts' recommendation for no suspension and she didn't point out the inconsistencies in the "victim's" testimony.  I have victim in quotes because it appears she tried to blackmail Elliott and when that failed she told her friend she'd claim he assaulted her. It's just really suspicious.

Zeke has done some dumb stuff since then, pulling down a woman's top and getting in a bar fight, but they're suspending him for this incident and withheld information. Not good Lisa Friel. I'm guessing she'll probably be replaced this season.

The lawsuit alleges that the conspiracy was to keep this recommendation from Goodell.  The person at fault appears to be Lisa Friel. She's in charge of domestic assault cases, and was the one who barred Roberts from attending the meeting with Goodell and sharing her views.

It appears like it might not be Goodell's fault this time. The articles seem to point out that Friel didn't include Roberts' recommendation for no suspension and she didn't point out the inconsistencies in the "victim's" testimony.  I have victim in quotes because it appears she tried to blackmail Elliott and when that failed she told her friend she'd claim he assaulted her. It's just really suspicious.

Zeke has done some dumb stuff since then, pulling down a woman's top and getting in a bar fight, but they're suspending him for this incident and withheld information. Not good Lisa Friel. I'm guessing she'll probably be replaced this season.
Then if its not his fault and he is now finding out an employee withheld evidence as she did testify under oath she did according to report, the NFL should rescind his suspension after getting new info and fire Lisa, if he doesnt, he is still ultimately 100% the guy at fault...he imposed the suspension. 

Lisa is still employed and Zeke is still susp 6 games last I checked. 

Harold Henderson has a chance to ruin his career if he agrees with the NFL here as this evidence is meant to make the NFL look bad and was said under oath by an NFL employee. 

The league will roll with "Goodell took all the evidence and all the investigator's opinions and findings into account and decided 6 game suspension." End of story

Do we know that this latest report (Kia Roberts recommended no suspension) is true or if this is just the NFLPA lawyer's theory for asking for the injunction?

Do we know that this latest report (Kia Roberts recommended no suspension) is true or if this is just the NFLPA lawyer's theory for asking for the injunction?

It is what she testified to during the appeal, it is not a "theory" unless she flat out lied about it.

It was said under oath according to reports as she was the one that they waited for to show up on Thursday and why the hearing took 3 days. 

Brilliantly put together in that case, because it gives Goodell a built in opportunity to make her take the fall, letting him overturn the suspension and letting Goodell save face publicly.

Looks like I'm playing against Elliot Week 1 now. Bring it woman beater!
Touche, I said I wouldnt even shake the mans hand because of this...but if the investigator who investigated and interviewed the accuser and then recommended 0 games, I have to assume Zeke did nothing. Guess jumping to conclusions gets the best of us, including the commish of the NFL.

Facts are all that matter to me, and a fact of a case like that carries the most weight right now in my eyes. We will never know the truth, so evidence is all we have. I have not spoke to anyone about this case, not Zeke, not the accuser and not the investigator, so her opinion is very important. Not that of an obviously crooked man named Goodell striking his opinions as fact. After finding out her opinion and that it was intentionally kept from Goodell is all i need to hear if I was on a jury to clear Zeke of wrong doing here. 

Touche, I said I wouldnt even shake the mans hand because of this...but if the investigator who investigated and interviewed the accuser and then recommended 0 games, I have to assume Zeke did nothing. Guess jumping to conclusions gets the best of us, including the commish of the NFL.

Facts are all that matter to me, and a fact of a case like that carries the most weight right now in my eyes. We will never know the truth, so evidence is all we have. I have not spoke to anyone about this case, not Zeke, not the accuser and not the investigator, so her opinion is very important. Not that of an obviously crooked man named Goodell striking his opinions as fact. After finding out her opinion and that it was intentionally kept from Goodell is all i need to hear if I was on a jury to clear Zeke of wrong doing here. 
Huh.  I still think Zeke did *something* but more importantly there simply isn't enough fact-based, verifiable, compelling evidence to prove - even at the lower threshold of a civil rather than criminal case - that Elliott beat up Thompson.

The preponderance of evidence actually points the other direction.  Thompson's text messages were the initial smoking gun, and now we have the lead investigator saying "yeah, not enough here to suspend this guy."

Case closed.  Unless Goodell is an ego-freak moron (which all evidence suggests is the case), in which case the NFL will continue to lie, cheat and steal to "protect the shield".  Just like in deflategate.  (Note:  I hate both the Patriots and Cowboys)

Huh.  I still think Zeke did *something* but more importantly there simply isn't enough fact-based, verifiable, compelling evidence to prove - even at the lower threshold of a civil rather than criminal case - that Elliott beat up Thompson.

The preponderance of evidence actually points the other direction.  Thompson's text messages were the initial smoking gun, and now we have the lead investigator saying "yeah, not enough here to suspend this guy."

Case closed.  Unless Goodell is an ego-freak moron (which all evidence suggests is the case), in which case the NFL will continue to lie, cheat and steal to "protect the shield".  Just like in deflategate.  (Note:  I hate both the Patriots and Cowboys)
I'm with your belief and needless to say women beaters are trash.

HOWEVER,

A prosecutor decided not to press charges and now with the NFLs lead investigator not suggesting any suspension means there is enough doubt. Who am I to doubt him now when I have not seen anything that says he did something when everyone in charge of holding him accountable says he didnt...except Roger?

Also, arguing between boyfriend and girfriends happen, anything short of physical abuse is something hard to decipher as domestic violence. I think Roger didnt like Zeke actions as a whole and came down on him without the fair facts. Thats my perception. 

I to dislike the Cowboys, but whats right is right. 

Everyone seems to be forgetting, that when the suspension was originally announced, Peter Harvey, a former NJ Attorney General(one of 4 who reviewed the case) said that he believed there was more than enough evidence to warrant a suspension. Even admitting at the time, that some of the statements Thompson made were NOT truthful, but that the "meta data" the NFL accessed from the phone, showed pictures of Thompson's injuries taken the SAME day they happened. Also noted, that prosecutors did not have access to the meta data from the phone like the NFL did. Texts messages are one thing, but the actual internal data from the phone showing enough evidence?? That's the smoking gun. Why didn't Zeke's defense team call him to testify?? Hmmm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2017/08/11/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-suspended-substantial-credible-evidence-nfl-panel-peter-harvey/559769001/

The former attorney general of New Jersey who reviewed the NFL's investigation into Ezekiel Elliott said there was extensive photographic and digital evidence that the Dallas Cowboys running back committed domestic violence against a former girlfriend.

“The investigation conducted by the league was thorough, it was comprehensive, it was carefully done, and it certainly provides substantial credible evidence to support the commissioner’s decision,” Peter Harvey said on a conference call Friday afternoon.

Everyone seems to be forgetting, that when the suspension was originally announced, Peter Harvey, a former NJ Attorney General(one of 4 who reviewed the case) said that he believed there was more than enough evidence to warrant a suspension. Even admitting at the time, that some of the statements Thompson made were NOT truthful, but that the "meta data" the NFL accessed from the phone, showed pictures of Thompson's injuries taken the SAME day they happened. Also noted, that prosecutors did not have access to the meta data from the phone like the NFL did. Texts messages are one thing, but the actual internal data from the phone showing enough evidence?? That's the smoking gun. Why didn't Zeke's defense team call him to testify?? Hmmm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2017/08/11/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-suspended-substantial-credible-evidence-nfl-panel-peter-harvey/559769001/

The former attorney general of New Jersey who reviewed the NFL's investigation into Ezekiel Elliott said there was extensive photographic and digital evidence that the Dallas Cowboys running back committed domestic violence against a former girlfriend.

“The investigation conducted by the league was thorough, it was comprehensive, it was carefully done, and it certainly provides substantial credible evidence to support the commissioner’s decision,” Peter Harvey said on a conference call Friday afternoon.
He did, according to reports. Also, the investigator that had access to those phots in charge of leading this entire investigation saw those pictures and still came to 0 games. Why was that, are you suggesting that you have some information the investigator didnt? Because if you do i would love to see it. 

Also, this is about procedure, since its a CBA and the suit does not ask them to supplement judgement. 

amusing seeing some posts about lack of evidence...did we forgot about deflategate so quickly?  Goodell can do what he wants under article 46
Not that simple. Amusing some people think its this simple, especially since the suit is about procedure. The evidence discussion is some of peoples personal beliefs...and yes, there was lack of evidence according to the lead investigator for the NFL. 

When people realize that this is about procedure and not his actual infraction when it hits the court the better or that person has forgotten all about deflategate. 

The big difference is that they're claiming that Goodell had to make his decision without all the information. He could still come to the same conclusion in theory, but their argument is that some people within the NFL (Lisa Friel) conspired to omit evidence when Goodell decided on the suspension. With this new evidence he could make a different decision.

Either way, this paints the NFL in a bad light. Basically ignoring the suggestion of a key investigator because it didn't support the narrative they'd already created.

He did, according to reports. Also, the investigator that had access to those phots in charge of leading this entire investigation saw those pictures and still came to 0 games. Why was that, are you suggesting that you have some information the investigator didnt? Because if you do i would love to see it. 

Also, this is about procedure, since its a CBA and the suit does not ask them to supplement judgement. 
So, Zeke's defense team is trying to get him off because of supposed procedural violations, NOT because he truly is innocent?? Seems to me, the 4 people that reviewed the NFL's case were ALL in agreement, that there was substantial enough evidence to warrant a suspension. Yet, the defense team wants to get him off on basically a technicality. You stay classy defense lawyers.

So, Zeke's defense team is trying to get him off because of supposed procedural violations, NOT because he truly is innocent?? Seems to me, the 4 people that reviewed the NFL's case were ALL in agreement, that there was substantial enough evidence to warrant a suspension. Yet, the defense team wants to get him off on basically a technicality. You stay classy defense lawyers.
Except for the lead investigator, but you would have known that if you read the thread maybe just a smidge more clearly.

Clearly his lawyers think he is innocent, but a simple tweet will say everything about the lawsuit. Hence the process and that he is innocent, but according to the CBA to sue you need a flawed process.

Kate Hairopoulos‏Verified account @khairopoulos

Zeke's suit accuses NFL's Lisa Friel of hiding her colleague Kia Robert's judgment that the findings didn't support a suspension.

The big difference is that they're claiming that Goodell had to make his decision without all the information. He could still come to the same conclusion in theory, but their argument is that some people within the NFL (Lisa Friel) conspired to omit evidence when Goodell decided on the suspension. With this new evidence he could make a different decision.

Either way, this paints the NFL in a bad light. Basically ignoring the suggestion of a key investigator because it didn't support the narrative they'd already created.
Except......the NFL has already doubled down and said that Goodell knew everything.  Unreal.  What a bunch of clowns running that show.

Because they can't have it overturned that way at this point.  The ONLY option they have is procedural. 

So allow me to be selfish and look at this completely from the interest of a 1 year Elliot owner (which I'm guessing many of those reading this are.) We're not talking about guilt or innocence now, we're talking solely about those of us last week who drafted Elliot late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd round, and who may be about to get a HUGE payoff. Here are the scenarios:

BEST SCENARIO: Penalty is completely removed or delayed for one full season.

2nd BEST SCENARIO: League and Elliot agree to reduce penalty to 4 games or less- we can live with that.

BAD SCENARIO: 6 game suspension holds.

WORST SCENARIO: Suspension is delayed but upheld THIS SEASON. Elliot plays games 1-8 then is suspended week 9 or so.

Right now, based on what I'm reading, the best scenario is also the most likely scenario. Keeping my fingers crossed...

What is the NFL actually likes all this "free" publicity.  They love the #### show happening. 

If Zeke does return to play week 1, on Sunday night football, sure the NFL will have egg on it's face.....but it may be the most watched SNF game in history. 

By definition you can not have a conspiracy involving only one person. Wonder if they are trying to claim Goodell did know.

Star Telegram is reporting that the woman was trying to sell a sex tape with Zeke in it. They find some text messages of her talking about it. Also they said that they didn't find her credible as she was constantly trying to mislead investors.

Tex

Star Telegram is reporting that the woman was trying to sell a sex tape with Zeke in it. They find some text messages of her talking about it. Also they said that they didn't find her credible as she was constantly trying to mislead investors.

Tex
How do I become one of these?

"Honey, I've liquidated both our 401(k) and margin account and sunk the funds into Zeke Elliott sex tapes.  GET READY TO RETIRE !"

Except......the NFL has already doubled down and said that Goodell knew everything.  Unreal.  What a bunch of clowns running that show.
While they are a clown show, in this situation, they HAD to say Goodell had all info. They dont want to lose power in court (main reason they re-appealed the Brady case).  If Goodell claims to have known everything, he was still within his rights to suspend him.  If he didn't have all the info, then the NFLPA's claim of procedural errors has merit.  The courts can't over turn the suspension because they think it's not fair, only on procedural grounds.  Unless the NFLPA can prove procedural errors, this doesn't really help Zeke in the courts.

So allow me to be selfish and look at this completely from the interest of a 1 year Elliot owner (which I'm guessing many of those reading this are.) We're not talking about guilt or innocence now, we're talking solely about those of us last week who drafted Elliot late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd round, and who may be about to get a HUGE payoff. Here are the scenarios:

BEST SCENARIO: Penalty is completely removed or delayed for one full season.

2nd BEST SCENARIO: League and Elliot agree to reduce penalty to 4 games or less- we can live with that.

BAD SCENARIO: 6 game suspension holds.

WORST SCENARIO: Suspension is delayed but upheld THIS SEASON. Elliot plays games 1-8 then is suspended week 9 or so.

Right now, based on what I'm reading, the best scenario is also the most likely scenario. Keeping my fingers crossed...
What are you reading here, or elsewhere, that says that's the most likely scenario?  :confused:

I'm reading that Zeke is filing for an injunction but it's far from a sure think that it's granted. If anything, from what I've read elsewhere, the injunction is very unlikely. My guess is that #2 is the most likely scenario (4 game suspension).

P.S. Not a Zeke owner but actually hoping for your best case scenario. I'm in a TD heavy league with the #3 slot and would benefit by likely having Bell fall to me. If Zeke is cleared (or the suspension is kicked to next year) I'm sure that the top two would be DJ and Elliott (#2 is a huge Cowboys homer but not dumb enough to take him with a 6 game suspension). 

Except for the lead investigator, but you would have known that if you read the thread maybe just a smidge more clearly.

Clearly his lawyers think he is innocent, but a simple tweet will say everything about the lawsuit. Hence the process and that he is innocent, but according to the CBA to sue you need a flawed process.
So, let me see if I understand this...because the lead investigator supposedly saw no evidence to warrant a suspension, but the 4 people that reviewed the case(and said the NFL did a very thorough, complete job) saw OVERWHELMING evidence to warrant a 6 game suspension, the lead investigator's findings should over rule the 4 that reviewed the case?? Doesn't it seem odd, that 4 people would find overwhelming evidence, yet one, found virtually none?? Something doesn't pass the smell test here..how can 4 people's opinions differ so greatly from one?? Perhaps, the one had an agenda?? Who knows, but even if she didn't think a suspension was warranted, doesn't mean Goodell has to go with what she says, and obviously he didn't.

While they are a clown show, in this situation, they HAD to say Goodell had all info. They dont want to lose power in court (main reason they re-appealed the Brady case).  If Goodell claims to have known everything, he was still within his rights to suspend him.  If he didn't have all the info, then the NFLPA's claim of procedural errors has merit.  The courts can't over turn the suspension because they think it's not fair, only on procedural grounds.  Unless the NFLPA can prove procedural errors, this doesn't really help Zeke in the courts.
So they'd be willing to perjure under oath?

So, let me see if I understand this...because the lead investigator supposedly saw no evidence to warrant a suspension, but the 4 people that reviewed the case(and said the NFL did a very thorough, complete job) saw OVERWHELMING evidence to warrant a 6 game suspension, the lead investigator's findings should over rule the 4 that reviewed the case?? Doesn't it seem odd, that 4 people would find overwhelming evidence, yet one, found virtually none?? Something doesn't pass the smell test here..how can 4 people's opinions differ so greatly from one?? Perhaps, the one had an agenda?? Who knows, but even if she didn't think a suspension was warranted, doesn't mean Goodell has to go with what she says, and obviously he didn't.
This is not to insult you by any means, but to answer your first line... No, I dont think you are understanding this. 

She was the ONLY one who met with the accuser, from what I've read.

So they'd be willing to perjure under oath?
I'm pretty sure the quote I posted was just referring to a statement or press/release.  IF the NFL is lying, that's not perjury.

That being said, the NFL says one thing, the NFLPA is saying another .  Neither you nor I know which one is lying.

Perjury is a crime punishable by jail regardless if its in a court of law or in arbitration. 
Right and if I'm one of those guys I'm not dying on that hill. If they didn't tell RG everything then they F'ed up and should accept any potential consequences (i.e. giving Zeke's team the ammo it needs). Lying about it after the fact to try and close that loop hole seems incredibly stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread