What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, DAL (2 Viewers)

when did henderson uphold the suspension? did this just come out?
Yeah, what the heck, saw nothing of this, and trust me...I'm looking under every rock for news.

They didnt make this publicly loud on purpose, if it is true at all. Holy jeezus, lots of smoke to settle here to figure out wth is going on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fake news? This is nowhere to be found even on their home page
Yeah it is very shady, although the link still works, so they have not yet retracted it.  I think it is fake news, but I really hoped ESPN was above doing that sort of thing.  They do not indicate who wrote the article (3:30 PM CT, ESPN.com news services), but they indicate that "Information from ESPN's Adam Schefter, Dan Graziano and the Associated Press was used in this report".

Ok, whats going on...

Am I being punk'd?

This is huge if true and we are all radio silent? 

No one on twitter talking about this, I shared the link with many many people... but nothing.

Where is Ashton Kutcher, is he popping out of my trees sometime soon? Cmon, what gives? 

Don't know who this Daniel Wallach guy is but Chris Mortensen retweeted him saying that the hearing for the temporary restraining order was set for Tuesday at 5 PM so how is ESPN reporting the TRO has already been granted?

Chris Mortensen Retweeted

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL

BREAKING: Judge Mazzant sets hearing on Ezekiel Elliott’s TRO motion for Tuesday, September 5, 2017, at 5:00 PM

https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL/status/903727554401640449

Ok, whats going on...

Am I being punk'd?

This is huge if true and we are all radio silent? 

No one on twitter talking about this, I shared the link with many many people... but nothing.

Where is Ashton Kutcher, is he popping out of my trees sometime soon? Cmon, what gives? 
Can't be true, nobody is reporting it

:thumbup:

I feel guilty in a way, because if Elliot really did beat up his girlfriend, then it's not right that he should get away with no penalty.

But on the other hand, my two running backs this year are going to be Leveon Bell and Ezekiel Elliot!! With McCaffrey as my flex RB :excited: In all the years I've been playing FF, I've never started with this much of an advantage against my opponents. Never. I took a gamble taking Elliot at 2.9 and it may be about to pay off.
My motto is, citizenship before championships.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Why wouldn't roger just use the old exempt list again???
Courts would prevent him from doing so. If I recall Hardy and Peterson did not get an injunction and thats why they ended up on exempt list, plus teams agreed to the exemptions. 

good article, doesn't look promising for Zeke

Unfortunately for Elliott, courts usually reject TRO petitions. In law, TROs are regarded as “extraordinary” forms of relief. A petitioner for a TRO (here Elliott) must demonstrate four prerequisites: (i) a substantial likelihood of success on the merits; (ii) a substantial threat of immediate and irreparable harm for which it has no adequate remedy at law; (iii) that greater injury will result from denying the temporary restraining order than from its being granted; and (iv) that a temporary restraining order will not disserve the public interest.

still FAR more valuable than guys like Crowell, Hyde, Fournette, Melvin ' 2016 was my best year ever, and yet I couldn't average more than 4 yards per carry' Gordon, and a handful of others.what you get with Zeke is the assurance that he is 122 yards per game ,every game, plus recs and TDs. period. he's a god.he's a throwback to the Emmitt Smith Larry Johnson, LT2 bell cow RB days of yore ( sorry, I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence!) ..Zeke's suspension makes him even more valuable because what you get is a fresh legged RB at week 8..so imagine, half the season is over, players are breaking down,they're tired, etc..and along comes Zeke with fresh legs..so his performance this year should outperform what he did last year on a per game basis, and by  a very wide margin..

I'm all in..I have the 5th pick in a standard scoring non ppr for RB league..and I'm taking him without hesitation. guys in that area include AJ Green, Mike Evans, McCoy, Julio..

I'll take Zeke over all of them..the more RBs we see come in to this league, ala Cook, Hunt, McCaffrey,the more I want a piece of the poster child 25-30 carries/gm RB..

good article, doesn't look promising for Zeke

Unfortunately for Elliott, courts usually reject TRO petitions. In law, TROs are regarded as “extraordinary” forms of relief. A petitioner for a TRO (here Elliott) must demonstrate four prerequisites: (i) a substantial likelihood of success on the merits; (ii) a substantial threat of immediate and irreparable harm for which it has no adequate remedy at law; (iii) that greater injury will result from denying the temporary restraining order than from its being granted; and (iv) that a temporary restraining order will not disserve the public interest.
Like getting back football games that have already been played?

Like getting back football games that have already been played?
 I'm not sure that is a valid argument.  Missing football games (especially if he can be paid the money owed at a later date) doesn't seem to be irreparable harm.  If he misses 6 games, but recoups the salary he was owed, where is the irreparable harm?

I'm not sure that is a valid argument.  Missing football games (especially if he can be paid the money owed at a later date) doesn't seem to be irreparable harm.  If he misses 6 games, but recoups the salary he was owed, where is the irreparable harm?
Accumulating stats towards a HOF career. 

Missing games played for a professional athlete is irreparable harm.  That is the easy part - its the other criteria where he may have trouble.

Missing games played for a professional athlete is irreparable harm.  That is the easy part - its the other criteria where he may have trouble.
How is it irreparable?  He can play more games later.  That's the way a judge could view it.  That's just as likely as your interpretation, IMO.

How is it irreparable?  He can play more games later.  That's the way a judge could view it.  That's just as likely as your interpretation, IMO.
How about the damage to the Cowboys having to play 6 games without their best player?  It seems obvious that a lot more damage is done by not letting him play than would be done by letting him play until the case is settled.  He can always serve the suspension later if he loses, you can't go back and replay games after they are done.  That seems like the easy part to convince a judge, I'm not even sure why that's being debated, it would seem like the tough part will be convincing a judge he actually has a "substantial likelihood" of winning his case against the NFL.  Just my opinion, but it seems like if the TRO is not granted it would be much more likely to be because a judge didn't think they had a real case against the NFL.  I can't imagine a judge thinking he had a legit case but denying the TRO because he didn't think there was any damage done by forcing him to sit out the next 6 games.   :unsure:

How about the damage to the Cowboys having to play 6 games without their best player?  It seems obvious that a lot more damage is done by not letting him play than would be done by letting him play until the case is settled.  He can always serve the suspension later if he loses, you can't go back and replay games after they are done.  That seems like the easy part to convince a judge, I'm not even sure why that's being debated, it would seem like the tough part will be convincing a judge he actually has a "substantial likelihood" of winning his case against the NFL.  Just my opinion, but it seems like if the TRO is not granted it would be much more likely to be because a judge didn't think they had a real case against the NFL.  I can't imagine a judge thinking he had a legit case but denying the TRO because he didn't think there was any damage done by forcing him to sit out the next 6 games.   :unsure:
"The Cowboys" are part of the NFL and thus on the other side of the litigation. The "irreparable harm" would have to be to Elliot and the NFLPA. I do think that part could go either way since Elliot could be made whole in the eyes of the law by being repaid for the games he missed. Obviously though the TRO was granted in the Brady case - so I do agree the "likelihood of winning" is the difficult prong here.

No it's not and it was already ruled that it's not in court with Brady's case.  I don't see them winning the case.

No matter what, have a hard time believing the judge doesn't grant Zeke his injunction. If there was ever a hell on earth, it's Dallas County. 

"The Cowboys" are part of the NFL and thus on the other side of the litigation. The "irreparable harm" would have to be to Elliot and the NFLPA.   I do think that part could go either way since Elliot could be made whole in the eyes of the law by being repaid for the games he missed. 
I'm sure there's plenty they could argue outside of just his salary though that the NFL couldn't make whole such as player development since he's not allowed to practice with the team, potential loss of endorsements, the damage to his reputation by being suspended for alleged domestic abuse, etc.  Not saying it couldn't happen, I just think the huge hurdle is going to be convincing a judge he could actually win a case against the NFL so either way we're in agreement there.

No it's not and it was already ruled that it's not in court with Brady's case. 
When was it ever ruled in the Brady case that missing games wasn't enough irreparable harm to grant a TRO?  I didn't think Brady ever even sought a TRO, he was suspended in May, then the appeal happened and the suspension was upheld the end of July, Brady didn't seek an injunction because both sides agreed to an expedited process and wanted a ruling one way or the other prior to Sept. 4th, 2015.  After they couldn't agree on a settlement the judge then ruled in favor of Brady and he played the entire 2015 season and then the following offseason the judges decision was reversed and he served the suspension to start the following season.

"The NFLPA and Mr. Brady had intended to file a motion for a temporary restraining order or a preliminary injunction," the parties wrote. "However, the parties met and conferred and have agreed that a final resolution of this matter prior to the commencement of the 2015 NFL regular season would be in everyone's best interest."

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/07/tom_brady_lawsuit_nflpa_new_en.html

Also TROs were granted in the Starcaps case and they were allowed to play while the case dragged out in the courts, IIRC I think one of the guys retired before the case was settled and another one eventually lost and served the suspension but it was at least a year or two later?

The suit is filed by Zeke; the harm done to the Cowboys is not relevant.  I doubt a judge could use that as a basis for an injunction.  Even if he/she could, the harm wouldn't be considered irreparable, IMO; there is a new season each year; IF Zekes absence were to cost the Cowboys this year, they'd get another go next year.

:lol:

Ok.  I see this is not a serious conversation.  I'll see my way out.
What?  How is my view of how a judge would view it any less serious than yours?  

Take our (fantasy) football perspective out of the picture.  If we're talking about a steel union worker who has been suspended by his boss because they claim he violated their CBA & he's appealing.  He doesn't want miss work because he is shooting for a perfect attendance award or something.  Do you seriously think he'd be granted an injunction because a judge would think irreparable harm would be done?  We tend to think (fantasy) football is more important than it is.  IMO, I doubt a judge is likely to say "Zeke might need those 6 games of stats to make the HOF, I CAN'T allow that to happen."

I'm sure there's plenty they could argue outside of just his salary though that the NFL couldn't make whole such as player development since he's not allowed to practice with the team, potential loss of endorsements, the damage to his reputation by being suspended for alleged domestic abuse, etc.  Not saying it couldn't happen, I just think the huge hurdle is going to be convincing a judge he could actually win a case against the NFL so either way we're in agreement there.
The loss of endorsements would be an interesting argument.  I'd think he would need to show this as a legitimate possibility, though.  Loss of incentives would be another good tact; do we know if Zeke has milestone incentives in this years contract: games/snaps played, yardage totals, MVP awards, etc that he'd be unlikely to hit with 6 missed games?

When was it ever ruled in the Brady case that missing games wasn't enough irreparable harm to grant a TRO?  I didn't think Brady ever even sought a TRO, he was suspended in May, then the appeal happened and the suspension was upheld the end of July, Brady didn't seek an injunction because both sides agreed to an expedited process and wanted a ruling one way or the other prior to Sept. 4th, 2015.  After they couldn't agree on a settlement the judge then ruled in favor of Brady and he played the entire 2015 season and then the following offseason the judges decision was reversed and he served the suspension to start the following season.

"The NFLPA and Mr. Brady had intended to file a motion for a temporary restraining order or a preliminary injunction," the parties wrote. "However, the parties met and conferred and have agreed that a final resolution of this matter prior to the commencement of the 2015 NFL regular season would be in everyone's best interest."

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/07/tom_brady_lawsuit_nflpa_new_en.html

Also TROs were granted in the Starcaps case and they were allowed to play while the case dragged out in the courts, IIRC I think one of the guys retired before the case was settled and another one eventually lost and served the suspension but it was at least a year or two later?
The injunctions in the Starcaps DID NOT find that irreparable harm was being done to the players & was surprising to many legal experts that it was granted.  I don't have the link, but google an article by Dan Fitzgerald, in Connecticut Sports Law for more detail.

Again, I don't think a court has ever deemed a suspension to be irreparable harm in this type of instance.  This could be the first time, but I'd be surprised.

Wait, wait, wait.... Time out.... Full Stop....

Are people debating if missing "time" is irreparable? 

Irreparable harm is a legal concept which argues that the type of harm threatened cannot be corrected through monetary compensation or conditions cannot be put back the way they were. Examples of such irreparable harm may arise in cutting down shade trees, polluting a stream, not giving a child needed medication, not supporting an excavation which may cause collapse of a building, tearing down a structure, among other actions or omissions.
Or for simplification...TIME cant be replaced.

To the above examples, can people just pay someone to put up a new tree the same size? Who cares it was cut down, they can make up the time for the lost tree later? Can but more medicine and give it to them later, right? Who cares they needed it now, You can just spend more money and give them their crucial medicine later, no? Time is important in cases. 

Can you replace time? Ask a prisoner who served 10 years for a crime he didnt commit, can he get that time back? Nope, time is irreparable. 

So lets say a player, who normally can play his position to 30, has 6 weeks taken from his short career? You cant get those back and is irreparable and its not even a debate. Arguing against if this is irreparable harm here is not even a legit argument. Missing time is the #1 executor of a injunction and saying it isnt even an opinion, its lacking the correct info to even make an informed opinion.

However, it doesnt even matter if he has a legit case of winning, the standard is you must posses one of the few different variations and it is clear if he misses any games that can not be made up, its irreparable. Just as if you cut down a tree or miss giving medicine...or suspend a player from games he cant play in again.

Thats why the many players who filed an injunction, got it.

Wait, wait, wait.... Time out.... Full Stop....

Are people debating if missing "time" is irreparable? 

Or for simplification...TIME cant be replaced.

To the above examples, wait you can just pay someone to put up a new tree, right? Who cares it was cut down, they can make up the time for the lost tree later? Wait, you can but more medicine and give it to them later, right? You can just spend more money and give them their crucial medicine later. 

Can you replace time? Ask a prisoner who served 10 years for a crime he didnt commit, can he get that time back? Nope, time is irreparable. 

So lets say a player, who normally can play his position to 30, has 6 weeks taken from his short career? That is irreparable and its not even a debate.

Arguing against if this is irreparable harm here is not even a legit argument. Missing time is the #1 executor of a injunction and saying it isnt even an opinion, its lacking the correct info to even make an informed opinion.

However, it doesnt even matter if he has a legit case of winning, the standard is you must posses one of the few different variations and it is clear if he misses any games that can not be made up, its irreparable. Just as if you cut down a tree or miss giving medicine.

Thats why the many players who filed an injunction, got it.
With all due espect I think you need to re-read the block you quoted. Zeke could be compensated with money. The other things are irreversible - there's no "real" harm to Zeke missing games. "Or" is a huge word in the law.

With all do respect I think you need to re-read the block you quoted.
With all due respect, if you miss giving someone medicine what is in between that and a ruling? Time. If you cut down a tree, whats in between the tree growing back to its full size? Time.

If you suspend Zeke and he misses 6 games but he wins his case what does he miss? Time. 

Pretty clear injunctions are granted because of time sensitive info, maybe you can understand the nuance of what the quote block is saying, with all due respect. Its a pretty basic concept.

With all due respect, if you miss giving someone medicine what is i nbetween that and a ruling? Time. If you cut down a tree, whats in between the tree growing back to its full size? Time.

If you suspend Zeke and he wins his case what does he miss? Time. 

Pretty clear injunctions are granted because of time sensitive info, maybe you can understand the nuance of what the quote block is saying, with all due respect. Its a pretty basic concept.
I edited my text. You can go back to that. It explains it better.

With all due respect, if you miss giving someone medicine what is i nbetween that and a ruling? Time. If you cut down a tree, whats in between the tree growing back to its full size? Time.

If you suspend Zeke and he wins his case what does he miss? Time. 

Maybe I can't understand the nuance? 

Maybe I can't understand the nuance? 
Clearly, basically because you think money fixes everything, it doesnt fixed timed missed. 

Can money fix a missed funeral? how does money fix missed games he could have played in if this isnt about the money? 

No debate? Good thing you're not either sides lawyer.
I guess you can debate it, you can also debate if the sky is blue if you like, doesnt change the facts that the sky is blue and missing time is irreparable. 

Also, good thing you are not Zekes lawyer...you would try to tell your client that money means more to him then time.

Clearly, basically because you think money fixes everything, it doesnt fixed timed missed. 

Can money mixed a missed funeral? how does money fix missed games he could have played in if this isnt about the money? 
Because it's a job. If you were suspended from work and missed one week and was later found innocent by the court - how do you think the court would compensate you for your "time".

I guess you can debate it, you can also debate if the sky is blue if you like, doesnt change the facts that the sky is blue and missing time is irreparable. 

Also, good thing you are not...you would try to tell your client that money means more to him then time.
Well I did learn something - there is no use debating some things with some people at all.

Well I did learn something - there is no use debating some things with some people at all.
Yes, there really is no use debating if missing time is irreparable. None, time cannot be replaced. 

Comparing real jobs to the NFL is the sign you have no argument or case.

Users who are viewing this thread