What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Richard Skinner wrote on Twitter Wednesday that Giovani Bernard has a "hip pointer" and his clavicle is "bothering him," and Bernard "could miss Sunday('s)" game against the Jaguars.

The clavicle is the collarbone. We've known about that injury for a few weeks. The hip pointer is what kept Bernard out for the final 7-8 minutes of last week's win over Baltimore. The Bengals play the Browns on Thursday Night Football in Week 10, so it's conceivable that they will consider holding him out of Sunday's game in an effort to get him back for a key divisional matchup with 4-3 Cleveland. Keep in mind Skinner was simply replying to a question on Twitter, not reporting. There's just been so little information available on Bernard to this point. Bengals reporters again didn't even ask about his status in Wednesday's press conference with coach Marvin Lewis.

Source: Richard Skinner on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Giovani Bernard (hip) is not practicing again Thursday.

Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official site says "you have to figure he's going to be out." That would leave Jeremy Hill as the feature back against the Jags Sunday, with Cedric Peerman and possibly Rex Burkhead mixing in. We have no details on the severity of Bernard's injury right now, other than that it's a hip pointer. All owners can do is sit tight and hope they were handcuffing properly with Hill, who could very well push for 20 touches Sunday.

Related: Jeremy Hill

Source: Geoff Hobson on Twitter
Oct 30 - 1:01 PM

Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Bengals believe Giovani Bernard (hip) is "(going to) be ok."
Rapsheet's tweet is devoid of other context, so it's unclear if that means "ok" for Week 9, or simply the long run. Bernard sat out Wednesday and Thursday's practices, and the Bengals haven't offered any meaningful updates on his status. For now, he should be considered unlikely to suit up against the Jaguars. That would leave backup Jeremy Hill as a clear top-20 option.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 30 - 4:35 PM

Brutal week. I already have Forte, Sammy and Jordy on byes, and now Gio has been officially ruled out.

:sigh:

Yeah, yeah, I know..... :ptts:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN Bengals reporter Coley Harvey says there's "zero" chance Gio Bernard loses his starting job to Jeremy Hill.

With Bernard (hip) sidelined on Sunday, Hill impressed with 24-154-2 in a win over the Jaguars. Harvey says we "might see little more Hill now, but Gio still No. 1." Bernard's status for Thursday's game against the Browns' rancid run defense is unknown, but if active we'd expect him to push for 15-18 touches as usual. However, he'll have to pick up his play to avoid losing work to Hill. Gio was averaging just 2.69 YPC in Weeks 7 and 8.

Source: Coley Harvey on Twitter
Nov 3 - 11:00 AM

Rotoworld:

The Cincinnati Enquirer does not believe Gio Bernard (hip) will play in Thursday's game against the Browns.

Beat writer Paul Dehner Jr. was asked on Twitter if Gio is good to go for Week 10. He responded with "Won't happen." It's certainly not a formal report and we've heard no updates on Bernard's status, but holding him out another week makes sense. Jeremy Hill can more than handle himself as the feature back and Bernard appeared to be wearing down a bit before his injury. If Gio is inactive, Hill will be a no-brainer RB1.

Source: Paul Dehner on Twitter
Nov 3 - 11:23 AM

The problem I see with Gio is that he is too decisive. He actually attacks the LOS much faster than Hill. He immediately takes off and does a really good job of getting positive yardage. Maybe he's trying to prove that he's not a COP back, I don't know.

He needs a bit more patience. We aren't talking about a large amount of time either..Hill just seems to have a brief hesitation before he commits to a run, where Gio commits immediately.

That being said, I think Gio is a bigtime buy-low candidate right now. He remains one of the most exciting open-field runners in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

Giovani Bernard (hip) is doubtful for Thursday night's Week 10 game against the Browns.

Fire up Jeremy Hill as an elite RB1 play against a Browns defense that is second-to-last against the run and yielding a league-high 4.8 YPC on the ground. Look for the Bengals to pound Hill on the ground for 20-plus carries once again with him coming off his monster 24-154-2 Week 9. Bernard will then get 10 days to rest up for Week 11. Depending on Hill's Thursday night performance, the powerful rookie could become a major threat to Gio's second-half carries.

Source: Paul Dehner on Twitter
Nov 5 - 11:55 AM

That being said, I think Gio is a bigtime buy-low candidate right now. He remains one of the most exciting open-field runners in the NFL.
In redraft, I can see that. In dynasty, Gio is still among the most expensive RBs to acquire and is as likely to straight up lose a significant number of carries as any top 3 dynasty running back I can remember.

This injury sure seems like it's going to put a dent in Bernard's future value, even when he returns. He was playing well enough to keep Hill on the bench, but no doubt this will be a frustrating committee going forward.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports Giovani Bernard (hip) could remain sidelined beyond Week 10.

Already ruled out for Thursday Night Football, Bernard apparently isn't a lock to return when the Bengals visit the Saints in Week 11. Breer also echoes reports that Bernard could be returning to a timeshare with Jeremy Hill, saying "(the) coaches won't be going away from (Hill)." It appears the time to sell high on Bernard has come and gone.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Nov 6 - 2:44 PM

The timeshare thing doesn't bother me. But the hip injury, combined with no practice bothers me.

Tonight should quiet the speculation about Hill taking over as the lead dog (even though he had a decent average). You just can't replicate the threat of Gio's explosiveness.

Tonight should quiet the speculation about Hill taking over as the lead dog (even though he had a decent average). You just can't replicate the threat of Gio's explosiveness.
While I agree that it was a good sign for Gio, I'm not confident he would have done much better last night either. They were just a disaster on offense.

You mean like how explosive Gio was against Indy? RBs aren't going to put up huge numbers when the QB is a disaster.

You mean like how explosive Gio was against Indy? RBs aren't going to put up huge numbers when the QB is a disaster.
Plus there seems to be a well-defined role for both. Gio is great out in space, and Hill is a better grinder between the tackles (basically what BJGE once was, but failed to do last year).

A good complementary fit if they can fix Dalton's and the offensive line's woes.

Plus there seems to be a well-defined role for both. Gio is great out in space, and Hill is a better grinder between the tackles (basically what BJGE once was, but failed to do last year).

A good complementary fit if they can fix Dalton's and the offensive line's woes.
It seems pretty obvious to me that the team would be better off giving Hill ~15 carries and 1-2 receptions per game, and Gio ~10 carries with 4-5 receptions. At least up until now, the coaches have disagreed.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the team would be better off giving Hill ~15 carries and 1-2 receptions per game, and Gio ~10 carries with 4-5 receptions. At least up until now, the coaches have disagreed.
They can also call plays designed to run Gio outside a bit more.

Gio has one 20+ yard run this year on 109 carries, and two 20+ yard receptions on 22 catches.

Hill has one 20+ yard run this year on 86 carries, and one 20+ yard reception on 15 catches.

They both have one play over 50 yards.

How many fumbles has Gio had this year as the starter? Marvin made a point when being interviewed at halftime that "We really cannot turn the ball over." A fumble is a 2 point minor distraction in FFB, but not in real football.

Gio has one 20+ yard run this year on 109 carries, and two 20+ yard receptions on 22 catches.

Hill has one 20+ yard run this year on 86 carries, and one 20+ yard reception on 15 catches.

How many plays do they have over 61 yards? LOL Let's not cherry pick here. The bottom line is the rookie whiffed on a major opp against a poor rushing D.

How many plays do they have over 61 yards? LOL Let's not cherry pick here. The bottom line is the rookie whiffed on a major opp against a poor rushing D.
The fumble obviously isn't good, but he had a 4.6 ypc average. It isn't really his fault that his QB was dreadful.

I like Gio, but all of this "explosiveness" talk hasn't really translated in the run game. All of last season he only had 3 rushes over 20 yards to go along with the 1 this year. That's 4 in 279 attempts (291 counting post season).

The fumble obviously isn't good, but he had a 4.6 ypc average. It isn't really his fault that his QB was dreadful.

I like Gio, but all of this "explosiveness" talk hasn't really translated in the run game. All of last season he only had 3 rushes over 20 yards to go along with the 1 this year. That's 4 in 279 attempts (291 counting post season).
Ouch !!

[SIZE=medium]We can debate who is a better runner and use the extremely small sample sizes of both RBs, but that is not how Cin will determine the starter. If you used LT's sample size of his first 319 carries, Hill matches up well to him too from a ypc avg, but that doesn't mean LT wasn't more explosive with his then 3.7 ypc avg. The point is a lot of people in “that other cin RB thread” were making claims that Hill would supplant Gio as the ball carrier with another good showing. In that manner it was a whiff.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Let’s consider the situation. Right or wrong, the reality of the situation is that it’s nearly impossible for a rookie to get reps over a vet as a starter in Cin. Here is a guy in Marvin Lewis that rolled out an inferior RB in BGE all last year without fail as the starter. The gap in talent between Gio and BGE was much greater in favor of Gio than the Hill/Gio situation today. Who is more talented between Gio/Hill is debatable, but if Marvin would not relegate the role for BGE when Gio was so clearly more talented last season, why would you think that Hill would relegate Gio’s role now? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Take the Hill goggles off for a second. What about last night’s game indicates to you that Gio’s role will change when he is healthy? Was it the rookie fumbling the ball on one of only 2 drives where they were actually able to push the ball to the CLE side of the field or was it the chemistry the offense was showing with Hill on the field? Yes he had a decent ypc avg of 4.6 last night, but didn’t he already have that ypc advantage over Gio before? His ypc avg today is 4.7, Gio’s is 4.1. That difference wasn’t enough to relegate Gio’s role before he went down. With the fumble and how the game went last night do you think it will be enough now?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Please don't ask me or claim that I think Gio is as good as LT. I am merely pointing out that YPC avg which Hill supporters keep clinging to is not going to be used as a barometer for who starts as the Cin RB going forward. If that was the barometer, BGE would have ben relegated to the bench last year as Gio had 4.1 and BGE had 3.4, not to mention Gio was light years better at receiving out of the backfield making him a more complete back overall than BGE. Gio is also a better receiver than Hill, more explosive in open space and hasn't fumbled yet this year as the starter. This is probably why beat writer Coley Harvey who is familiar with the situation thinks there is a zero chance Gio will lose his job.[/SIZE]

I don't think anyone is saying Gio will be relegated to the bench. Rather a matter of how much of a piece of the pie Hill has earned. And of course, who gets the goal line looks.

zamboni said:
I don't think anyone is saying Gio will be relegated to the bench. Rather a matter of how much of a piece of the pie Hill has earned. And of course, who gets the goal line looks.
And there has been no evidence supporting a change based on what mnmplayer summed up.

If you feel ineffective situational rushing coupled with a fumble against one of the worst rushing defenses in the league gets it done then by all means Hill should get a larger role.

If you feel ineffective situational rushing coupled with a fumble against one of the worst rushing defenses in the league gets it done then by all means Hill should get a larger role.
And he was also praised highly for his work the previous week in the win versus the Jaguars. There's ups and downs with Hill, as there are with Gio.

I can't speak for the folks saying that Hill would "take over" in the short-term. I think these guys are going to be 1A and 1B to each other for quite some time. My point has always been that, as early as next season, I could see Bernard becoming the 1B part of that tag-team.

Lost in all this focus about how "not quite so great" Hill's play was is the forgotten fact that Bernard's play as a runner has been incredibly bad. As has been brought up before, Bernard has reached 4ypc in only 2 of his last 11 games. The only other player in the NFL to do that was Trent Richardson. And it's interesting that Richardson's name is brought up, because Bernard this year has basically been Trent Richardson as a runner with one big 89 yard run thrown on top.

Granted, Bernard has done far more as a receiver and he's great in that capacity (though he's struggled on that front lately as well), but eventually your running back has to be able to run the football. Bernard is currently a top 3 dynasty back, valued as a comfortable starter, but there is significant risk that he falls into more of a change of pace roll as his career plays out.

In the first half of last year, averaging under 9 carries a game, Bernard ran for 4.5ypc. In the second half of the year, averaging a little over 13 carries per game, he ran for only 3.7ypc. This year, as the starter he has the 89 yard run and a whole bunch of junk as a runner.

If Bernard doesn't improve significantly as a runner he shouldn't feel safe as the lead dog if Matt Asiata was his backup (hyperbole, but you get the point), much less a promising 2nd round rookie that has looked pretty good when he's been out there.

And he was also praised highly for his work the previous week in the win versus the Jaguars. There's ups and downs with Hill, as there are with Gio.
In retrospect, that might have been a mistake. Hill is talented, no doubt, but I don't see this last games performance has earned him a larger role, as was the statement especially considering Marvin already holds a bias against having rookie RBs carry the load. Doesn't this latest performance just feed into his own bias?

I can't speak for the folks saying that Hill would "take over" in the short-term. I think these guys are going to be 1A and 1B to each other for quite some time. My point has always been that, as early as next season, I could see Bernard becoming the 1B part of that tag-team.

Lost in all this focus about how "not quite so great" Hill's play was is the forgotten fact that Bernard's play as a runner has been incredibly bad. As has been brought up before, Bernard has reached 4ypc in only 2 of his last 11 games. The only other player in the NFL to do that was Trent Richardson. And it's interesting that Richardson's name is brought up, because Bernard this year has basically been Trent Richardson as a runner with one big 89 yard run thrown on top.

Granted, Bernard has done far more as a receiver and he's great in that capacity (though he's struggled on that front lately as well), but eventually your running back has to be able to run the football. Bernard is currently a top 3 dynasty back, valued as a comfortable starter, but there is significant risk that he falls into more of a change of pace roll as his career plays out.

In the first half of last year, averaging under 9 carries a game, Bernard ran for 4.5ypc. In the second half of the year, averaging a little over 13 carries per game, he ran for only 3.7ypc. This year, as the starter he has the 89 yard run and a whole bunch of junk as a runner.

If Bernard doesn't improve significantly as a runner he shouldn't feel safe as the lead dog if Matt Asiata was his backup (hyperbole, but you get the point), much less a promising 2nd round rookie that has looked pretty good when he's been out there.
I don't think you can judge either Hill or Gio's body of work with any consistency until a larger sample size is attained and Gio is the starter and if healthy is in line for more carries so he will get first crack to prove himself. It would be silly to judge a RB after less than 300 carries. You can use measurables or simply the eye test, but that is subjective. My eye tells me that Gio is a better more talented player, but that doesn't mean I can't be wrong or that Hill is not talented to0. But Hill's style more closely resembles a Lacy/TRich type of player where I prefer a McCoy/Bell/Westbrook/LT type, probably because I play in a PPR league.

What drives me nuts about Fantasy Football discussion is everybody is so jaded by who they own that you can't have a discussion without complete bias. I do a lot wrong in FF but I am not afraid to look at a guy I own and say, "uh oh." about somebody having a legit shot at stealing the job.

A couple of points, Bobby Rainey 4.6, Darren McFadden 4.9, Denard Robinson 5.6, Leveon Bell 4.6 and 5.2, Taliaferro, 5.1. That is what other running backs did against Cleveland. People will mention Jeremy Hill's 4.6 ypc and then reference Gio's ypc for the year. I have a pretty good feeling Gio could have put up very similar numbers. Only one starting running back had under 4.6 ypc against Cleveland, so stop citing his ypc in this game as a positive!

Second point, having Jeremy Hill in at running back in this type of situation made me feel like I do when I have been faced many times in this same situation with a similar back, Alfred Morris. No, thank you!

If a game does not go perfectly, backs like Jeremy Hill are not going to do much to move an offense. Giovani Bernard is an all around offensive weapon more like an L.T., Edgerrin James, Marshall Faulk type. You can debate his ypc all day but the bottom line is he can do so much more to get the ball down the field.

Oh, he got hurt and isn't meant to get as many carries as he has? So did Arian Foster, Montee Ball, Andre Ellington, Doug Martin, Ryan Mathews, Toby Gerhart, Rashad Jennings, C.J. Spiller, Reggie Bush, Ben Tate, Joique Bell, Pierre Thomas, Fred Jackson, Lamar Miller, Stevan Ridley, Knowshon Moreno, Danny Woodhead, Mark Ingram, Darren Sproles, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, I am stopping now. All pretty much with less touches than Gio had for the season and there are plenty of guys in there with that "perfect" build for RB. Don't get me wrong, there are some running styles I avoid but Gio doesn't do anything that makes me feel he looks for extra contact or runs upright, so I am fine not concerning myself about him getting hurt than I do for any other running back in football.

So bottom line to me is, I don't see Adrian Peterson, healthy Jonathan Stewart running back in Jeremy Hill when he plays so my money is on this staying Gio's job. Barring injury, which of course as we can see, is a real possibility.

:unsure:

Giovani Bernard (hip) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Bernard is off on the wrong foot once again. Jeremy Hill is the early favorite to handle every-down duties in Week 11 against the Saints. Coming off a clunker last Thursday night, Hill is shaping up as a high-end RB2 against New Orleans' middle-of-the-pack run defense. We'll update Bernard no later than Thursday.
Source: Coley Harvey on Twitter
Nov 12 - 12:11 PM

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports the Bengals are "not expecting" Giovani Bernard (hip) to play Week 11 against the Saints.

Breer was the one who hinted last week that Bernard may be out through Week 11, and even longer. It'll be the Jeremy Hill show in the Cincinnati backfield once again. Coming off his Week 10 dud against the Browns, Hill will be a nice bounce-back high-end RB2 with RB1 upside. Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde combined to rush for 117 yards and two touchdowns on 27 carries against New Orleans last week. Barring a blowout by the Saints, Hill should see 20-plus touches.Nov 12 - 4:12 PM
Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

If Gio's just making it to the rehab practice field, he's probably 2 weeks away from returning at best. It's not just his hip injury, but also the collarbone injury too.

Hope you backed him up with Hill or suitable equivalent.

Anyone trading for Gio.

Guy in my league is in much need of a flex play this week and possibly sell Gio for a stronger play this week?

Anyone had any luck buying low? Injury still scares me, but could be worth a gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread