What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (1 Viewer)

His 1st year in Detroit (2021) with both Swift & Jamaal were injured, he was the highest graded RB back to back weeks. Hasn't really done much since. Didn't make the 53-man this summer but was on the handshake crew, after they moved some guys to the IR they resigned him. Good teammate, very average player.
If Saquon doesn't play, I might pick up Craig. Due to injuries and byes, I'd be starting both Reynolds from DET! Assuming Josh plays. If Gibbs misses time, I think they get sign someone else.

Possibly. Devine Ozigbo (practice squad) is a thumper, hard to imagine Knight or Reynolds getting many touches.

Also put their FB on IR today. Cabinda is a decent blocker and 4-phase special teamer. Also down a TE so Ben Johnson will have to adjust his platforms.
So let me get this straight...ARSB and Gibbs OUT Sunday? Possibly?
9.5 points right now you all are favored?

I'm kind of shocked and trying to figure out what the right play is here. Lot of Monty I'm guessing, they can't over work Williams

I guess just more of La Porta and Monty, nothing really changes

His 1st year in Detroit (2021) with both Swift & Jamaal were injured, he was the highest graded RB back to back weeks. Hasn't really done much since. Didn't make the 53-man this summer but was on the handshake crew, after they moved some guys to the IR they resigned him. Good teammate, very average player.
If Saquon doesn't play, I might pick up Craig. Due to injuries and byes, I'd be starting both Reynolds from DET! Assuming Josh plays. If Gibbs misses time, I think they get sign someone else.

Possibly. Devine Ozigbo (practice squad) is a thumper, hard to imagine Knight or Reynolds getting many touches.

Also put their FB on IR today. Cabinda is a decent blocker and 4-phase special teamer. Also down a TE so Ben Johnson will have to adjust his platforms.

I'm kind of shocked and trying to figure out what the right play is here. Lot of Monty I'm guessing, they can't over work Williams

Josh Reynolds

Josh Reynolds
He’s been very good this year

Why not? He's well rested.

The doom and gloom is funny in this thread. He’s had 8, 12.6, 9 and 9. Certainly not mind blowing but aren’t zeros. not Giving up hope at all…
He's the 28th ranked rb in fantasy points one spot ahead of steelers backup jaylen warren
He has 40 less total yards than Montgomery has right now on 19 fewer touches.

As someone said earlier in the thread the difference here is touchdowns.
The instant gratification crew continues to complain. It isn’t going to stop.

This is fantasy and he was a high pick. This thread is filled with people predicting 1500 total yards and double digit tds..
Show me these examples of anyone predicting 1500 combined yards for Gibbs in the 2023 season.

That is a very unrealistic expectation. Very few RB have achieved that level of production in their rookie seasons. As I have been saying all along for RB who are actually good for fantasy football the rookie season is the least productive of their first 6 seasons in the league on average and to temper expectations of any RB in their rookie season because of this.

RB who have had over 1500 combined yards as a rookie:

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2020 None (Johnathan Taylor was close but not quite)
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2017 Kareem Hunt Alvin Kamara
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2012 Alfred Morris Doug Martin
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2008 Matt Forte Steve Slayton (Chris Johnson was close)
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

So that's 20 years and we only have 10 RB over this time frame who have achieved 1500 total yards in their rookie season. That is very rare and completely unrealistic to expect any rookie RB to do this.

The ones who have done this almost all of them have had 350 or more combined touches in their rookie seasons. Who in their right mind would have expected Gibbs to have 350 touches with David Montgomery ahead of him on the depth chart?

Another interesting thing to note from these 10 RB who did have 1500 yards in their rookie seasons, a lot of them did not go on to have as productive seasons following that. Hunt and Slayton never got close to that again. Doug Martin had a 2nd 1500 yard season in his 4th year in the league after two disappointing years following his rookie season. Alfred Morris still had some good years following his rookie season but never had 1500 combined yards again. Barkley was close in his 2nd season but he missed 3 games, then did it again in the 2022 season. Even Elliot has only done that 3 times in his career.

Its such a high bench mark one should not really be expecting that for a RB and RB who do achieve this tend to do it in season 2 through 6 of their careers, not in their rookie season.

The absolute best case scenarios thrown out there talking about a career outlook for Gibbs not his rookie season were Reggie Bush or Christian McCaffrey

Bush only had 1500 yards once in his career and that was in his 8th season in the league after going to Detroit. Obviously Kamara and McCaffrey have been mega stars when it comes to combined yardage and very very rare players.

The only comparison of Gibbs to McCaffrey was to show that McCaffrey did not perform nearly as well in his rookie season as he has since then. As an example to have lower expectations for Gibbs as a rookie, not that he is going to become McCaffrey.
..so yes people are looking for instant gratification. Rookie rbs come in all the time and understand the offense and pick up blitzes and have huge success.
No actually they don't. This is a misconception on your part.
RBs that are picked way behind the first round have success.
Yes they do. However this standard of success is much lower than your stated expectation for Gibbs.
So this stuff that he's too dumb to understand the nfl game and he doesn't see what's happening on the field is and should be concerning.
No one has said he is dumb. What I the Head Coach of the Lions, Austin Eckler and others have said is that every RB has a learning curve coming into the NFL and that it takes time for them to develop to their full potential. Why would this be a concern when that is applicable to every player? Adrian Peterson talks about having to improve his patience and timing and he is one of the few stars who actually did have over 1500 yards as a rookie. In his case he never developed into a good pass protector his entire career and teams always had to account for that and take him off the field during obvious passing downs.
Can he turn it around? Sure he can and Josh Rosen might be qb1 in a couple of years. All within the realm of possibility but put me in the camp that this thread has turned into 'it's all a ploy to motivate tatum bell'.
This is also hyperbolic and a premature assessment comparing him to Josh Rosen after 4 games.

If you are old enough to remember all the jokes about Tatum Bell then why haven't you learned more about football over this period of time than you are showing with these ignorant statements? The whole thing about Tatum Bell was that he was a relatively high draft pick by Mike Shanahan whos outside zone scheme had been able to get great production out of a variety of RB who were drafted much later than Bell was and thus high expectations of Bell being possibly better than those players because of his draft status being closer to Clinton Portis than any of those other RBs.
So many excuses being made when he was a high pick and should perform. RBs (especially like this) have maybe a 4-5 year window of success in the nfl and the lions are planning on wasting one of those years??? Seems like stupid drafting to me
As I have said many many times now the rookie season for a RB is not usually the best season of their career.

The Saints drafted Reggie Bush with the 2nd overall pick of the 2006 draft when they already had Duece McCallister. I suppose you think that was a stupid pick as well.

The doom and gloom is funny in this thread. He’s had 8, 12.6, 9 and 9. Certainly not mind blowing but aren’t zeros. not Giving up hope at all…
He's the 28th ranked rb in fantasy points one spot ahead of steelers backup jaylen warren

This is fantasy and he was a high pick. This thread is filled with people predicting 1500 total yards and double digit tds..
Show me these examples of anyone predicting 1500 combined yards for Gibbs in the 2023 season.

That is a very unrealistic expectation. Very few RB have achieved that level of production in their rookie seasons. As I have been saying all along for RB who are actually good for fantasy football the rookie season is the least productive of their first 6 seasons in the league on average and to temper expectations of any RB in their rookie season because of this.

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

So that's 20 years and we only have 10 RB over this time frame who have achieved 1500 total yards in their rookie season. That is very rare and completely unrealistic to expect any rookie RB to do this.

The ones who have done this almost all of them have had 350 or more combined touches in their rookie seasons. Who in their right mind would have expected Gibbs to have 350 touches with David Montgomery ahead of him on the depth chart?

Another interesting thing to note from these 10 RB who did have 1500 yards in their rookie seasons, a lot of them did not go on to have as productive seasons following that. Hunt and Slayton never got close to that again. Doug Martin had a 2nd 1500 yard season in his 4th year in the league after two disappointing years following his rookie season. Alfred Morris still had some good years following his rookie season but never had 1500 combined yards again. Barkley was close in his 2nd season but he missed 3 games, then did it again in the 2022 season. Even Elliot has only done that 3 times in his career.

Its such a high bench mark one should not really be expecting that for a RB and RB who do achieve this tend to do it in season 2 through 6 of their careers, not in their rookie season.

The absolute best case scenarios thrown out there talking about a career outlook for Gibbs not his rookie season were Reggie Bush or Christian McCaffrey

Bush only had 1500 yards once in his career and that was in his 8th season in the league after going to Detroit. Obviously Kamara and McCaffrey have been mega stars when it comes to combined yardage and very very rare players.

The only comparison of Gibbs to McCaffrey was to show that McCaffrey did not perform nearly as well in his rookie season as he has since then. As an example to have lower expectations for Gibbs as a rookie, not that he is going to become McCaffrey.
..so yes people are looking for instant gratification. Rookie rbs come in all the time and understand the offense and pick up blitzes and have huge success.
Yes they do. However this standard of success is much lower than your stated expectation for Gibbs.
So this stuff that he's too dumb to understand the nfl game and he doesn't see what's happening on the field is and should be concerning.
No one has said he is dumb. What I the Head Coach of the Lions, Austin Eckler and others have said is that every RB has a learning curve coming into the NFL and that it takes time for them to develop to their full potential. Why would this be a concern when that is applicable to every player? Adrian Peterson talks about having to improve his patience and timing and he is one of the few stars who actually did have over 1500 yards as a rookie. In his case he never developed into a good pass protector his entire career and teams always had to account for that and take him off the field during obvious passing downs.
Can he turn it around? Sure he can and Josh Rosen might be qb1 in a couple of years. All within the realm of possibility but put me in the camp that this thread has turned into 'it's all a ploy to motivate tatum bell'.
This is also hyperbolic and a premature assessment comparing him to Josh Rosen after 4 games.

If you are old enough to remember all the jokes about Tatum Bell then why haven't you learned more about football over this period of time than you are showing with these ignorant statements? The whole thing about Tatum Bell was that he was a relatively high draft pick by Mike Shanahan whos outside zone scheme had been able to get great production out of a variety of RB who were drafted much later than Bell was and thus high expectations of Bell being possibly better than those players because of his draft status being closer to Clinton Portis than any of those other RBs.
So many excuses being made when he was a high pick and should perform. RBs (especially like this) have maybe a 4-5 year window of success in the nfl and the lions are planning on wasting one of those years??? Seems like stupid drafting to me
As I have said many many times now the rookie season for a RB is not usually the best season of their career.

The Saints drafted Reggie Bush with the 2nd overall pick of the 2006 draft when they already had Duece McCallister. I suppose you think that was a stupid pick as well.
Besides an incredibly insulting post yes Reggie bush was a terrible pick for the saints

I'll leave it at that as I'm not interesting in engaging with you

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

Besides an incredibly insulting post yes Reggie bush was a terrible pick for the saints

As a Saints fan I can tell you that you’re incredibly wrong about Bush. He was a key part of that Superbowl team.

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

As a Saints fan I can tell you that you’re incredibly wrong about Bush. He was a key part of that Superbowl team.

He did for sure but he had an 11 year career and was a top pick and had 4 good seasons (one of which was great)

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

He may be the biggest homer on the board but jonmx predicted 1500+.

Another minor consideration is that most of those rookies only had 16 games vs. 17 now.

Then when you see guys drafted much later like Achane having more explosive plays every game than Gibbs has had all season it does make you wonder.

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

Another minor consideration is that most of those rookies only had 16 games vs. 17 now.

Then when you see guys drafted much later like Achane having more explosive plays every game than Gibbs has had all season it does make you wonder.
Ok I missed jonmx's post. That was very unrealistic.

The extra game certainly a factor here. If a RB missed 2 or more games out of 16, which most RB will miss a couple games during season then getting 1500 combined yards is very unlikely. To do that they need 15 games averaging 100 combined yards per game which most will fall short of. Rookies or not. Less likely for a rookie because of the other factors in play besides injury preventing them from doing that. A couple games as second string to a veteran RB for example.

Achane has been amazing. He is doing it again now in his 3rd game. If Achane keeps this up he is going to be considered in elite company and a top 5 RB going forward.

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

My post is basically facts so if you find facts insulting thats on you.

I find your posts on this subject to be very negative, hyperbolic and out of touch with reality. If you had an open mind about this at all perhaps you might learn something.

Even if Gibbs ends up being a total bust in the NFL that wont justify your shortsightedness about it this early in his career.

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

The extra game certainly a factor here. If a RB missed 2 or more games out of 16, which most RB will miss a couple games during season then getting 1500 combined yards is very unlikely. To do that they need 15 games averaging 100 combined yards per game which most will fall short of. Rookies or not. Less likely for a rookie because of the other factors in play besides injury preventing them from doing that. A couple games as second string to a veteran RB for example.

Achane has been amazing. He is doing it again now in his 3rd game. If Achane keeps this up he is going to be considered in elite company and a top 5 RB going forward.
I think you're too focused on the 1500 number. Yes, that's a really high bar, but he was also a really high draft pick to a team who was really high on him with a really good offense who was going to really utilize his explosiveness.

If you lower it to say 1200, it becomes a lot more realistic, but he wasn't on pace for that either. Combined with the zero TDs and the lack of big plays (his season long reception has been only 10 yards) and it's pretty clear that he's underperformed even "realistic" expectations so far.

As always, it's only 4 games, but the fact that guys like Achane have done what they've done right away is evidence that this isn't just "typical" rookie growing pains. They'll never publicly admit it, but I think it's highly likely that Detroit expected more from him.

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

My post is basically facts so if you find facts insulting thats on you.

I find your posts on this subject to be very negative, hyperbolic and out of touch with reality. If you had an open mind about this at all perhaps you might learn something.

Even if Gibbs ends up being a total bust in the NFL that wont justify your shortsightedness about it this early in his career.

You are mixing up a fantasy board with a detroit lions board. The guy is a bust as a fantasy player right now and all the commentary saying he is slow to pick things up does not bode well for him. I don't hear that for other rookie rbs in the league

Maybe if you had any understanding of the basic principles of football and watched it for more than a couple of years you would understand what I'm talking about (I didn't actually mean that but you see how your blood pressure went up because it's insulting)

Before you respond please don't or grow up. Either way I'm good

2022 None
2021 Najee Harris
2019 None
2018 Sanquon Barkley
2016 Ezekiel Elliiot
2015 None
2014 None
2013 None
2011 None
2010 None
2009 None
2007 Adrian Peterson
2006 None
2005 None
2004 None
2003 None

I think you're too focused on the 1500 number. Yes, that's a really high bar, but he was also a really high draft pick to a team who was really high on him with a really good offense who was going to really utilize his explosiveness.

If you lower it to say 1200, it becomes a lot more realistic, but he wasn't on pace for that either. Combined with the zero TDs and the lack of big plays (his season long reception has been only 10 yards) and it's pretty clear that he's underperformed even "realistic" expectations so far.

As always, it's only 4 games, but the fact that guys like Achane have done what they've done right away is evidence that this isn't just "typical" rookie growing pains. They'll never publicly admit it, but I think it's highly likely that Detroit expected more from him.

Typical rookie growing pains only apply when someone is invested heavily in someone :) Otherwise rookies just perform or don't perform

Another good example is Quentin Johnston - I had high hopes and he may turn it around, but similar to gibbs, all of us owners should be major league concerned that he can't do anything on a high powered passing offense with nobody in front of him.

Congrats on being the happiest guy in the thread today
I only played Josh! Should've picked up Craig, as I picked up Hunter Henry as a flex for his safe floor, WRONG.

Typical rookie growing pains only apply when someone is invested heavily in someone :) Otherwise rookies just perform or don't perform

Another good example is Quentin Johnston - I had high hopes and he may turn it around, but similar to gibbs, all of us owners should be major league concerned that he can't do anything on a high powered passing offense with nobody in front of him.
I don't really equate the two. I know there have been more rookie WRs hitting the ground running in recent years, but typically it still takes them more time than RBs to get up to speed. QJ specifically was considered the biggest project of the top 4, which is why I was surprised they took him over Addison and Flowers. That said, WRs have much longer careers so they can afford to wait for them to develop, which isn't the case with RBs.

Kamara was on bye week 5 of his rookie season, so I'll hold off on posting the season comparisons this week since they haven't changed from last week.

We’ve had almost 200 posts since his last touch 8 days ago

It’s personal for some people
That's why I was shocked when someone said Breece Hall had the most divisive takes on these boards and directed them to come to this thread lol.

I fell into the group that doesn't own him anywhere redraft only because my drafts were all very late and by then his ADP had risen too high for me. But I was mocking him a good part of the summer. I don't really think it's doom and gloom even in redraft. I'm guessing most who are disappointed are more because of where they took him compared to what he's done. The only thing I couldn't get over going all the way back to pre-draft were the Kamara comps. I'm no scout, but I just never saw it. He was great in college, but seemed stylistically very different from Kamara. And then with the moves Detroit made and looking at what they did last year with Swift, I couldn't see how anyone would think he would even be USED like Kamara, let alone play like him. Dynasty I'd be buying tbh, but owners values there understandably haven't dropped much in my leagues.

Kamara was on bye week 5 of his rookie season, so I'll hold off on posting the season comparisons this week since they haven't changed from last week.

That's why I was shocked when someone said Breece Hall had the most divisive takes on these boards and directed them to come to this thread lol.

I fell into the group that doesn't own him anywhere redraft only because my drafts were all very late and by then his ADP had risen too high for me. But I was mocking him a good part of the summer. I don't really think it's doom and gloom even in redraft. I'm guessing most who are disappointed are more because of where they took him compared to what he's done. The only thing I couldn't get over going all the way back to pre-draft were the Kamara comps. I'm no scout, but I just never saw it. He was great in college, but seemed stylistically very different from Kamara. And then with the moves Detroit made and looking at what they did last year with Swift, I couldn't see how anyone would think he would even be USED like Kamara, let alone play like him. Dynasty I'd be buying tbh, but owners values there understandably haven't dropped much in my leagues.
Not sure why people keep saying this- a lot of the disappointment absolutely is because of what he's done (or hasn't done). Slips, drops, zero TDs, lack of explosive plays, etc. None of that has anything to do with his ADP, it's not like people would be happy if they took him a round or 2 later.

Sorry, but when his own coach, who was the assistant head coach when Kamara was drafted and remained there for the first 4 years of his career, compares him to Kamara it's perfectly logical to expect a similar role. And Swift was used similarly to Kamara as well, he just couldn't stay healthy.

He simply hasn't performed up to expectations, especially in the passing game. If he did perform as expected he would be getting more touches and obviously way more FF points. Same caveats as always, it's only 4 games so it can change, but this is not simply about unrealistic expectations (for the most part).

Last edited:

Not sure why people keep saying this- a lot of the disappointment absolutely is because of what he's done (or hasn't done). Slips, drops, zero TDs, lack of explosive plays, etc. None of that has anything to do with his ADP, it's not like people would be happy if they took him a round or 2 later.

Sorry, but when his own coach, who was the assistant head coach when Kamara was drafted and remained there for the first 4 years of his career, compares him to Kamara it's perfectly logical to expect a similar role. And Swift was used similarly to Kamara as well, he just couldn't stay healthy.

He simply hasn't performed up to expectations, especially in the passing game. If he did perform as expected he would be getting more touches and obviously way more FF points. Same caveats as always, it's only 4 games so it can change, but this is not simply about unrealistic expectations (for the most part).
People keep saying it because their opinion is different than yours. We are both commenting on a population of people who drafted Gibbs and speculating on their disappointment. We obviously disagree.

And a similar role as Kamara from a talent no where near Kamara doesn't yield Kamara results; sorry if I haven't made that clear as that was my point from the beginning. So IMO, yes, lots of people had very unrealistic expectations for Gibbs as they shouldn't have been putting the two names in the same sentence nearly as many times as I read through the offseason and even through the first couple weeks.

I think you also over estimate his usage in this offense regardless of performance. He's a small RB who rarely ran up the middle in college playing on a team that was projected to improve even further from last season, and be one of the top teams in a weak division and, outside the Eagles and 49ers, an all around weak conference. To me, it was pretty evident they'd be playing in a lot of neutral and positive game scripts this season. Those aren't roles a RB with Gibbs skill set typically get used in. Especially as a rookie. They are EXACTLY the circumstances a RB like Montgomery is used in. Pound the rock and control the clock. Protect the QB. Don't make mistakes. And that's how its played out so far this season. People looking at the whole picture on expecting this rookie, undersized, receiving "specialist" back who is sub par at doing all those things just noted to receive a bunch of work, even if he was performing better than he is now, were setting unrealistic expectations. In my opinion of course.

People keep saying it because their opinion is different than yours. We are both commenting on a population of people who drafted Gibbs and speculating on their disappointment. We obviously disagree.

And a similar role as Kamara from a talent no where near Kamara doesn't yield Kamara results; sorry if I haven't made that clear as that was my point from the beginning. So IMO, yes, lots of people had very unrealistic expectations for Gibbs as they shouldn't have been putting the two names in the same sentence nearly as many times as I read through the offseason and even through the first couple weeks.

I think you also over estimate his usage in this offense regardless of performance. He's a small RB who rarely ran up the middle in college playing on a team that was projected to improve even further from last season, and be one of the top teams in a weak division and, outside the Eagles and 49ers, an all around weak conference. To me, it was pretty evident they'd be playing in a lot of neutral and positive game scripts this season. Those aren't roles a RB with Gibbs skill set typically get used in. Especially as a rookie. They are EXACTLY the circumstances a RB like Montgomery is used in. Pound the rock and control the clock. Protect the QB. Don't make mistakes. And that's how its played out so far this season. People looking at the whole picture on expecting this rookie, undersized, receiving "specialist" back who is sub par at doing all those things just noted to receive a bunch of work, even if he was performing better than he is now, were setting unrealistic expectations. In my opinion of course.
Well, the gigantic difference is that you aren't amongst that population while I am, so you are purely speculating while I am giving my first hand account. I'm telling you, not as opinion but as a matter of fact, that I did not expect him to be the 1A or have a ton of touches. I did expect him to perform better with his touches, especially in the passing game. It has nothing to do with where I took him, it is all about performance. I actually got him lower than ADP, which is the only reason I took him- I avoided him anywhere near ADP, and if he had dropped even further it wouldn't change my level of disappointment.

Your opinion that he is no where near as talented as Kamara is noted, but not everyone shares that opinion. He did more in college, is way faster, and was a much more highly regarded prospect, so IMO, that certainly puts him somewhere near him. But yeah, you originally didn't say anything about the talent comparison, you said style (which I basically agree with) and role, which I very much disagree with. I'll say it again, his HC who had a front row seat to the Kamara show has put the two names in the same sentence, so why on earth wouldn't fantasy owners? And he used the guy Gibbs was drafted to replace in a very similar role. Honestly, a Kamara-type role still seems like the most logical one for him long term.

We disagree on my estimated usage in this offense regardless of performance, but that goes back to you being wrong about why I'm disappointed in the first place. I don't think it's logical to expect a team who drafts a RB at #12 overall to only plan on using him in negative game script situations. It doesn't make any sense, and a quick glance at Achane should clearly debunk that. Obviously game script will change things on the margin, but you utilize your weapons regardless of game script. He hasn't been nearly the weapon that people thought, which really is the problem. The irony is that his between the tackles running has been the biggest bright spot so far IMO- the things he was supposed to be great at (mostly receiving) have been a big disappointment.

You can't seriously think expecting him to not slip and fall every game and have multiple easy drops, or score a single TD or catch a single pass for more than 10 yards on the season is unrealistic do you?

Well, the gigantic difference is that you aren't amongst that population while I am, so you are purely speculating while I am giving my first hand account. I'm telling you, not as opinion but as a matter of fact, that I did not expect him to be the 1A or have a ton of touches. I did expect him to perform better with his touches, especially in the passing game. It has nothing to do with where I took him, it is all about performance. I actually got him lower than ADP, which is the only reason I took him- I avoided him anywhere near ADP, and if he had dropped even further it wouldn't change my level of disappointment.

Your opinion that he is no where near as talented as Kamara is noted, but not everyone shares that opinion. He did more in college, is way faster, and was a much more highly regarded prospect, so IMO, that certainly puts him somewhere near him. But yeah, you originally didn't say anything about the talent comparison, you said style (which I basically agree with) and role, which I very much disagree with. I'll say it again, his HC who had a front row seat to the Kamara show has put the two names in the same sentence, so why on earth wouldn't fantasy owners? And he used the guy Gibbs was drafted to replace in a very similar role. Honestly, a Kamara-type role still seems like the most logical one for him long term.

We disagree on my estimated usage in this offense regardless of performance, but that goes back to you being wrong about why I'm disappointed in the first place. I don't think it's logical to expect a team who drafts a RB at #12 overall to only plan on using him in negative game script situations. It doesn't make any sense, and a quick glance at Achane should clearly debunk that. Obviously game script will change things on the margin, but you utilize your weapons regardless of game script. He hasn't been nearly the weapon that people thought, which really is the problem. The irony is that his between the tackles running has been the biggest bright spot so far IMO- the things he was supposed to be great at (mostly receiving) have been a big disappointment.

You can't seriously think expecting him to not slip and fall every game and have multiple easy drops, or score a single TD or catch a single pass for more than 10 yards on the season is unrealistic do you?
I agree almost 100% with what you are saying.

I will just point out that the running aspects of what a rookie RB can do are what translates the soonest. So while that may seem like a bit of a surprise given the view of his overall skillset coming into the league it does make sense that this is the area he has been able to do well with right away.

The many slips and him losing his balance is a concern that I will be watching more closely because of that. I am questioning his footwork and balance now because of that.

There are drills and things a RB can do to improve this part of their game. He really needs to.

As far as his route running and timing there are a lot of things a player can develop and improve in those areas. WR typically get a lot better in their 2nd season with these things. He needs to improve a lot in this area as well. No reason to compare him to Kamara as a recieving threat based on what he has shown so far.

The many slips and him losing his balance is a concern that I will be watching more closely because of that. I am questioning his footwork and balance now because of that.

Ironic b/c Kamara has elite contact balance. Comps with AK41 were 🤪.
FWIW Reggie Bush was my closest and most optimistic comparison.

I also did not watch him all that much as a prospect and paid little attention to the 2023 NFL draft class. I didnt even read about who was drafted until about a week after the event.

I knew a few things of course, but nothing close to what I usually do.

Ironic b/c Kamara has elite contact balance. Comps with AK41 were 🤪.
FWIW Reggie Bush was my closest and most optimistic comparison.

I also did not watch him all that much as a prospect and paid little attention to the 2023 NFL draft class. I didnt even read about who was drafted until about a week after the event.

I knew a few things of course, but nothing close to what I usually do.

I was shouted down when I said he reminded me most of Deandre Swift. 😆

Gibbs will be fine IMO, once the weight of expectation is lifted off him. He's not talentless.

This train derailed quickly. I will say football changes quickly. I own no shares.

The Lions and Dan Campbell are 4-1 this year running the ship exactly like you see it right now.
We're talking about the Detroit Lions, perennial losers and they are winning 80% of their games
Do you honestly think they give a damn what any of us think about them spending #12 overall on a CoP RB?

I doubt they see Gibbs that way but they like what Monty brings to the table and he's putting the Lions on his back right now and taking a lot of pressure off Jared Goff
We can ***** about this until we are blue in the face and believe you me, I'm right there with every other Gibbs investor that took him 3-4 rounds way too early
But I'm not going to declare Gibbs an NFL bust, it's my fault for reading too many dynasty posts, and this is a good lesson for redraft players like myself, take a summer vacation and don't get into the day in day out hype from all the media snippets coming in, camp reports are one thing but too many people with voices on twitter clouding judgement or trying to be the next Adam S

The Lions and Dan Campbell are 4-1 this year running the ship exactly like you see it right now.
We're talking about the Detroit Lions, perennial losers and they are winning 80% of their games
Do you honestly think they give a damn what any of us think about them spending #12 overall on a CoP RB?

I doubt they see Gibbs that way but they like what Monty brings to the table and he's putting the Lions on his back right now and taking a lot of pressure off Jared Goff
We can ***** about this until we are blue in the face and believe you me, I'm right there with every other Gibbs investor that took him 3-4 rounds way too early
But I'm not going to declare Gibbs an NFL bust, it's my fault for reading too many dynasty posts, and this is a good lesson for redraft players like myself, take a summer vacation and don't get into the day in day out hype from all the media snippets coming in, camp reports are one thing but too many people with voices on twitter clouding judgement or trying to be the next Adam S
TESTIFY!!!

Almost like maybe people shouldn't put so much stock into what coaches say, especially in the offseason and during training camp when fluff pieces are abound and hyperbole at an all time high. Kinda like Carroll had people thinking JSN was going to walk in and take over the passing game in Seattle. He's yet to see more than 60% of snaps. Coaches see what they want to see when they are all shiny and new. Kinda like fantasy owners hear what they want to hear...

Still, why draft him 12th overall?
This is the thing. If he were a 3rd round NFL draft pick this wouldn't be a conversation. I think going at pick 12 comes with at least a little expectation. In the fantasy world, it's the same. Obviously our community overdrafted this guy. If he went in the 7th or 8th then this thread is prolly cut in half. That 3rd or 4th round draft capital brings expectation. Lions are 4-1 though and I'm thrilled for them.

Still, why draft him 12th overall?
this. the alleged tight relationship between campbell and the GM is bs. campbell couldn't care less if gibbs is a gameday scratch forever as long as his lovechild montgomery gets 25 carries per game.

Monty has earned it, he is running like a beast right now. Makes defenders miss and then he is powerful finisher.

Last edited:

:deadhorse: I have been beating the Swift horse since Lions drafted Gibby as there was no need.

Would never draft a change of pace RB at 12 when one was already on the roster, but they did.

Gibby is going to make some big plays this season and contribute to a winning team, but it probably won`t be for your FF team.

That is all Lions fans want at this point.

:deadhorse: I have been beating the Swift horse since Lions drafted Gibby as there was no need.

Would never draft a change of pace RB at 12 when one was already on the roster, but they did.

Gibby is going to make some big plays this season and contribute to a winning team, but it probably won`t be for your FF team.

I don't think that's necessarily fair. Watching Swift this season it's easy to understand why the Lions Coach staff became frustrated with him. They knew the 2023 version of Swift was in there but, for whatever reason Swift didn't want to be that guy for the Lions.

And it's not because the Lions offense is so much worse than the Eagles because that just isn't true. Swift was unreliable for the Lions.

I don't think that's necessarily fair. Watching Swift this season it's easy to understand why the Lions Coach staff became frustrated with him. They knew the 2023 version of Swift was in there but, for whatever reason Swift didn't want to be that guy for the Lions.

And it's not because the Lions offense is so much worse than the Eagles because that just isn't true. Swift was unreliable for the Lions.

Swifts career YPC last year was 5.5 for Lions, 4.8 career, and 7.8 per reception. Always been productive. And he is tougher inside than Gibbs.

Swifts career YPC last year was 5.5 for Lions, 4.8 career, and 7.8 per reception. Always been productive. And he is tougher inside than Gibbs.
I know his metrics but he was absolutely unreliable. Not running the scheme, not finishing runs the way he was coached or nagging injuries coaches felt he should have been able to play through. The back we are seeing in Philly so far is not the guy we saw in Detroit.

I know his metrics but he was absolutely unreliable. Not running the scheme, not finishing runs the way he was coached or nagging injuries coaches felt he should have been able to play through. The back we are seeing in Philly so far is not the guy we saw in Detroit.

Sounds like Gibbs right now :)

Users who are viewing this thread