What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Cook, BUF (1 Viewer)

NFL Rookie Running Backs In The Best Fantasy Football Situations - James Cook, Kenneth Walker, Breece Hall, and more

...Cook was drafted 63rd overall by the Bills, one of the prime landing spots for a running back given the discontent they have with their current options as one of the league's most potent offenses.

As the younger brother of Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook, he was certainly well-known by the NFL scouts, although he warrants this pick given his exceptional receiving talent. Cook finished with 27 receptions for 284 yards and four touchdowns through the air in his final season at Georgia. This skill set is what will earn him a role in Week 1 while he battles to climb the depth chart.

Bills Running Back Depth Chart 2022

• Devin Singletary
  • James Cook
  • Zack Moss
  • Duke Johnson
Having already conquered Moss, a former second-round pick who the Bills have essentially quit on, he now slots in behind only Singletary. Coincidentally, Singletary also went out with a bang last season, ending the season on a run as the RB2 behind only Penny over the last five weeks. This should solidify him as the Week 1 starter but there will still be plenty of opportunities for Cook to carve out a role in both the rushing and receiving game. This provides him with a solid floor for fantasy and lots of upside in this high-octane offense.

There is a lot to like with this fit. Buffalo wants to keep Josh Allen healthy and start reducing the hits. I think their strong move to get McKissic this off-season is a sign that they want to involve the RBs in the passing game more. Cook fits this perfectly as he can catch out of the backfield, shift to the slot, and even run routes on the outside. On the spectrum of outcomes is this guy becoming a Kamara-lite type of producer. I emphasis “lite”, but there is still a lot of upside potential production in this high powered offense.

There is a lot to like with this fit. Buffalo wants to keep Josh Allen healthy and start reducing the hits. I think their strong move to get McKissic this off-season is a sign that they want to involve the RBs in the passing game more. Cook fits this perfectly as he can catch out of the backfield, shift to the slot, and even run routes on the outside. On the spectrum of outcomes is this guy becoming a Kamara-lite type of producer. I emphasis “lite”, but there is still a lot of upside potential production in this high powered offense.
Agree - and Singletary is an UFA after this year and could walk. Might be a good buy low opportunity for Cook in keeper/dynasty leagues. There's obviously a fair chance the Bills will draft or sign another RB to replace Singletary and keep Cook's value down, but if the rookie flashes, you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
When C-E-H was drafted by KC...in HPPR drafts, the hype on him went nuts.  Via FFC, he wound up being RB5 overall.  Obviously that was too high, but Cook on FFC currently HPPR is RB44.  For a guy drafted with the 42nd overall pick.  With Devin Singletary in front of him.

Josh Allen is considered QB1 this year.  But his YPA last year was 6.8 (same as Tua).  646 pass attempts, combined with 122 rushing attempts?  That workload alone just feels worthy of a regression...how long can they pile up 800 plays (if you include sacks) on Allen?

zamboni said:
Agree - and Singletary is an UFA after this year and could walk. Might be a good buy low opportunity for Cook in keeper/dynasty leagues. There's obviously a fair chance the Bills will draft or sign another RB to replace Singletary and keep Cook's value down, but if the rookie flashes, you never know.
I don't see Cook as a primary runner. Kamara-lite is our best hope. 150 rush atempts, 100 targets (60-75 receptions), 8-12 TD's. One time! 

TheDirtyWord said:
When C-E-H was drafted by KC...in HPPR drafts, the hype on him went nuts.  Via FFC, he wound up being RB5 overall.  Obviously that was too high, but Cook on FFC currently HPPR is RB44.  For a guy drafted with the 42nd overall pick.  With Devin Singletary in front of him.

Josh Allen is considered QB1 this year.  But his YPA last year was 6.8 (same as Tua).  646 pass attempts, combined with 122 rushing attempts?  That workload alone just feels worthy of a regression...how long can they pile up 800 plays (if you include sacks) on Allen?
I would say the skepticism around Singletary is fueling the higher ADP on Cook. 

I would say the skepticism around Singletary is fueling the higher ADP on Cook. 
I would disagree from my viewpoint anyway. Singeltary finished the year very well. I simply think Cook’s skillset is something the Bills really want to incorporate into their offense, which in turn should lead to FF points. I think both backs can co-exist fairly well, Cooks just almost takes on the “slot” position target wise. If I am reading the situation correctly the Bills want to protect Allen a bit more, and getting the running backs more involved in the passing game will be a big part of that. Cooks is a great chess piece for this offense.

I would disagree from my viewpoint anyway. Singeltary finished the year very well. I simply think Cook’s skillset is something the Bills really want to incorporate into their offense, which in turn should lead to FF points. I think both backs can co-exist fairly well, Cooks just almost takes on the “slot” position target wise. If I am reading the situation correctly the Bills want to protect Allen a bit more, and getting the running backs more involved in the passing game will be a big part of that. Cooks is a great chess piece for this offense.
Singletary did finish the season with 6 strong games where he was featured heavily. My question is where has that been the previous 41 games of his career?

Singletary did finish the season with 6 strong games where he was featured heavily. My question is where has that been the previous 41 games of his career?
He has been doing what the coaches tell him to.    He doesn't decide when to be on the field.   He doesn't call the plays.   His advance metrics haven't change much.  2nd in evasion %,  2nd in 1st down%, 3rd in broken tackles %,  6th in yrds before contact, ect.

He was finally given an opportunity and he excelled.

Fade at you own peril.

He has been doing what the coaches tell him to.    He doesn't decide when to be on the field.   He doesn't call the plays.   His advance metrics haven't change much.  2nd in evasion %,  2nd in 1st down%, 3rd in broken tackles %,  6th in yrds before contact, ect.

Fade at you own peril.
Good points. Has a career YPC of 4.7 and averaged 67 total yards per game he has played in. In summary he has produced when given the chance. I would bet Buffalo leans a little more on the running game this year (OC comments, wanting to lessen the wear on Allen) and I think that ultimately benefits Singeltary and Cook in different ways.

Fade at you own peril.
Is there a reason he hasn't been given more opportunity? Of course his efficiency is higher when he isn't being given a workhorse role. Plus he's faces light boxes almost more than any RB in the league. He was benefiting immensely from being part of that offense with Allen, Diggs, etc. Teams were not worried about Singletary. He was an extremely inefficient receiver as well.  Maybe that is just a byproduct of Allen but Singletary was 6th among RBs in routes run but 31st in yard per route and 30th in yards per catch. So he was asked to run a lot of routes but they didn't throw to him much and when they did, he wasn't doing much with it. 

Then there is also the clear signs from the team. After year 1, they drafted Moss and he came out as the starter over Singlegtary. Moss failed so it was back to Singletary. This offseason they made getting another RB a major priority trying for McKissic and then taking Cook in the 2nd. IMO, the signs from the organization don't point to them loving Singletary. 

Is there a reason he hasn't been given more opportunity? Of course his efficiency is higher when he isn't being given a workhorse role. Plus he's faces light boxes almost more than any RB in the league. He was benefiting immensely from being part of that offense with Allen, Diggs, etc. Teams were not worried about Singletary. He was an extremely inefficient receiver as well.  Maybe that is just a byproduct of Allen but Singletary was 6th among RBs in routes run but 31st in yard per route and 30th in yards per catch. So he was asked to run a lot of routes but they didn't throw to him much and when they did, he wasn't doing much with it. 

Then there is also the clear signs from the team. After year 1, they drafted Moss and he came out as the starter over Singlegtary. Moss failed so it was back to Singletary. This offseason they made getting another RB a major priority trying for McKissic and then taking in the 2nd. IMO, the signs from the organization don't point to them loving Singletary. 
To me, this is narrative street on Singletary for people who haven’t been watching the Bills in the past 3 seasons.

My 2 cents 

I'm not saying this isn't true - but I'm not sure that it is, since Josh Allen runs the ball so much I'd expect a lot of teams play them with an extra man in the box.
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/devin-singletary/

He was 4th in the league for % of his carries coming with a light box (6 or fewer defenders). Add to his average number of defenders in the box is 6.1 which was 49th lowest in the league. When he gets the ball, teams are in formations built to stop the pass and not the run. You are right Allen runs a lot but but how much of that is designed vs scrambles? And even with Allen running, the Bills are one of the pass heaviest offenses in the league. And they don't run a short passing game either, they were 3rd in the NFL in passes that traveled over 20 yards in the air. #1 in the league in RZ pass attempts as well so even around the GL they stay spread our and throw, 

To me, this is narrative street on Singletary for people who haven’t been watching the Bills in the past 3 seasons.

My 2 cents 
There was some narrative in there but I also included numbers. The numbers do show he has been an inefficient receiving back. The numbers show that he faces 6 or less men in the box more than just about any RB in the league. Also, the drafting of Moss and Cook are facts. 

There was some narrative in there but I also included numbers. The numbers do show he has been an inefficient receiving back. The numbers show that he faces 6 or less men in the box more than just about any RB in the league. Also, the drafting of Moss and Cook are facts. 
This reminds lots of Melvin Gordon a few years ago. Widely hated among FF pundits yet produced year after year. 

He will likely be a solid RB2, again! 

This reminds lots of Melvin Gordon a few years ago. Widely hated among FF pundits yet produced year after year. 

He will likely be a solid RB2, again! 
I don't see that comp at all.

Gordon 6'1" 215, above average athleticism across the board and drafted at slot 1.15. Singletary 5'7" 200, low level athlete across the board and taken at slot 3.10. 

Gordon had 3 consecutive seasons as an RB1. Including two top 5 finishes. Singletary's best season was his rookie year where he finished as an RB3. He's never posted RB2 numbers (I am looking at 0.5 ppr for all of these). 

Looking at Fantasy ADP,  they aren't close either.

Y1: MG- 4.04  DS- 8.02

Y2: MG- 4.09  DS- 4.09

Y3: MG- 1.07  DS- 8.03

Y4: MG- 1.09   

Y5: MG- 4.04

Y6: MG- 3.08  

Y7: MG- 6.09 

I don't see that comp at all.

Gordon 6'1" 215, above average athleticism across the board and drafted at slot 1.15. Singletary 5'7" 200, low level athlete across the board and taken at slot 3.10. 

Gordon had 3 consecutive seasons as an RB1. Including two top 5 finishes. Singletary's best season was his rookie year where he finished as an RB3. He's never posted RB2 numbers (I am looking at 0.5 ppr for all of these). 

Looking at Fantasy ADP,  they aren't close either.

Y1: MG- 4.04  DS- 8.02

Y2: MG- 4.09  DS- 4.09

Y3: MG- 1.07  DS- 8.03

Y4: MG- 1.09   

Y5: MG- 4.04

Y6: MG- 3.08  

Y7: MG- 6.09 
Not necessarily as a player, but more of a situational off season podcast narrative. Although, MG’s ADP was higher, he was constantly knocked for any reason and he would slip in drafts. It took 3-4 years for everyone to catch up and get on board. 

Also, see your comment about marginal athlete, that is exactly what I am taking about. Narrative. 

Anyways, back to Cook, I like him lots, but he’s a rookie in a contending team. I think expectations should be tempered. 

Not necessarily as a player, but more of a situational off season podcast narrative. Although, MG’s ADP was higher, he was constantly knocked for any reason and he would slip in drafts. It took 3-4 years for everyone to catch up and get on board. 

Also, see your comment about marginal athlete, that is exactly what I am taking about. Narrative. 

Anyways, back to Cook, I like him lots, but he’s a rookie in a contending team. I think expectations should be tempered. 
1. I don't see that pattern with Gordon's early career. 

'15: drafted as RB20, finished as RB47 OVERRATED 

'16: drafted as RB21, finsihed as RB7 UNDERRATED 

'17: drafted as RB5, finished as RB5  SPOT ON

'18: drafted as RB8, finished as RB7 SPOT ON

'19: drafted as RB23, finished as RB22 SPOT ON

Analysts were way off on him entering year 2 but his rookie year was a mess. 6 fumbles, 0 TDs and a season ending knee injury in December. 

2. Singletary is a marginal athlete. That is not a narrative. He attended the combine and among all historic RBs he measured at:

4th % height, 21st % weight, 3rd % wingspan, 5th % hand size, 17th  % 40, 57th % vert, 39th % broad, 9th % 3cone, 21st % short shuttle and 15th % bench press. MOCKDRAFTABLE

His RAS score was 1.73 which is in the VERY POOR category. I was giving him some of benefit of the doubt even calling him marginal. As NFL RBs go, he is objectively small and slow. 

So you can keep saying I am just giving a bunch of narratives but I have backed every one of my points with facts. You are the one with the narratives. 

3. Back to Cook, yeah I think he was overrated as a prospect but for redraft he has a nice cost. Later in drafts, I will gladly take flyers on players in explosive offenses like Buffalo. 

Given the premise that receptions are much more valuable than carries, I'd take Cook over Singletary in a heartbeat in a pass-oriented offense - assuming that Singletary won't be used that much in the passing game relative to Cook. Add the fact that Cook could get more carries as the season progresses if Singletary isn't the same guy he was down the stretch.   

I agree though that McDermott may not put a whole lot on Cook's plate right off the bat, and it make take some patience in year 1.

@candian fantasy guy also I hope that didn't come off as rude, not trying to be a jerk. I've got COVID and might be a little cranky this AM. I just think you might be looking at Singletary through some very rose colored glasses. I hope it works out for him though- could be a huge value this year if he picks up where he left off last season. 

@candian fantasy guy also I hope that didn't come off as rude, not trying to be a jerk. I've got COVID and might be a little cranky this AM. I just think you might be looking at Singletary through some very rose colored glasses. I hope it works out for him though- could be a huge value this year if he picks up where he left off last season. 
I’m not even high on DS, you were dismissive of his career. I pointed out that wasn’t really true with a link to his career. He’s been better than what you were saying. 

I wish you the best with your Covid symptoms, I hope they stay light. 

Is he another one of the smallish pass catching backs that disappoint fantasy owners because he doesn't get a large enough share of the carries?
Very possible!

They might want Allen to run less and check down. But does Allen actually want to run less? That will be the key, time will tell. 

They might want Allen to run less and check down. But does Allen actually want to run less? That will be the key, time will tell. 
Agreed. McDermott has said he’d like to cut down on Allen’s rushing attempts - and for good reason for longevity purposes - but we’ll see when the games actually happen. It’s a big part of his arsenal that makes them so dangerous.

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia reports it is "pretty clear" the Bills want to see what James Cook can "do in open space as a pass catcher."

It is no secret that Cook was drafted to be the passing-down complement to Devin Singletary, but it is encouraging that the Bills are giving him a trial-by-fire in the early days of camp. A team with Super Bowl aspirations simply isn't going to hand passing-down job to a second-round rookie. Cook is going to have to earn the role in camp, and it appears he will be given every opportunity to do so. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 27, 2022, 12:08 AM ET

I thought they had been interested in Edmonds but Miami scooped him up. They made a play for McKissic, no? And supposedly they inquired about CMC. Then they used a 2nd round pick on Cook. And Josh Allen was quoted after the AFC divisional round game against the Chiefs as saying "we didn't make enough plays."

Sure seems to me like they desire an elite pass catching RB. He isn't there yet but I do think they are hoping he will be.

Last edited:
Looks like all of Cook's work came with the backups after Singletary and Moss played, right?
ya moss looked pretty good too. Buffalo might be a backfield to completely avoid. Again.

I think it very well could end up being Singletary as the lead, Moss as the goal line guy, and Cook as a third down guy with Moss and Cook getting a few early down carries mixed in as well.

So possibly frustrating for fantasy guys but super effective for Buffalo’s offense.

Looks like all of Cook's work came with the backups after Singletary and Moss played, right?
ya moss looked pretty good too. Buffalo might be a backfield to completely avoid. Again.

I think it very well could end up being Singletary as the lead, Moss as the goal line guy, and Cook as a third down guy with Moss and Cook getting a few early down carries mixed in as well.

So possibly frustrating for fantasy guys but super effective for Buffalo’s offense.
Ya that sounds awful for fantasy.

It's slightly concerning to see Moss out there producing. However, I'm not going to buy too much into it until we see it in the regular season. This should open up a buy window for Cook for those who missed out. Take advantage of the people over-reacting, IMO.

It's slightly concerning to see Moss out there producing. However, I'm not going to buy too much into it until we see it in the regular season. This should open up a buy window for Cook for those who missed out. Take advantage of the people over-reacting, IMO.

FWIW, the Bills recently mentioned that Moss never did play at 100% last year after having offseason ankle surgery the offseason before. They’re saying he’s back to 100% now. So it’s very possible his preseason production is not an illusion.

With Singletary being a FA next year, there’s a very good chance the Bills could be planning for a Moss/Cook backfield next year.

I think Moss looks like a steal this year
But what's his ceiling really? Singletary and Cook are going to get a lot of work
Agreed. They might use Moss as a short yardage back, but that’s of little consequence on a team that likes to throw in the RZ & has a QB to vulture those carries.

IMO Singletary & Cook will dominate touches, and barring injury, Moss won’t do much.

But what's his ceiling really? Singletary and Cook are going to get a lot of work
Agreed. They might use Moss as a short yardage back, but that’s of little consequence on a team that likes to throw in the RZ & has a QB to vulture those carries.

IMO Singletary & Cook will dominate touches, and barring injury, Moss won’t do much.
I mean today kind of shows differently than that. I know it's preseason, but they did talk a lot about him and how he's looked so great in camp and finally looks like the back they had wanted. I don't see him as the starter, not even close, but I think he's really going to cut into the other 2's upside.

I mean today kind of shows differently than that. I know it's preseason, but they did talk a lot about him and how he's looked so great in camp and finally looks like the back they had wanted. I don't see him as the starter, not even close, but I think he's really going to cut into the other 2's upside.
He didn’t play until late though right?

He didn’t play until late though right?
Not sure. I'm not even talking about his performance today, more so the insight they got from the team about how he is doing in camp and practices and how he is right in the mix. He looked the part. I know you drafted Cook so you're a little biased, but Im staying clear of that backfield.

Users who are viewing this thread