What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Cook, BUF (1 Viewer)

I know you drafted Cook so you're a little biased, but Im staying clear of that backfield.
I drafted Cook becasue I think he’ll be worth where I drafted him.

Not biased at all. I just don’t think Moss is a great back, and Cook has some draft capital invested. And I like having the receiving back in a pass heavy offense.

Singletary was impressive last year and i think it will be a mess of a backfield. But I like Cook’s value more than Singletary or Moss. I don’t see Moss contributing enough to be FF relevant.

I know you drafted Cook so you're a little biased, but Im staying clear of that backfield.
I drafted Cook becasue I think he’ll be worth where I drafted him.

Not biased at all. I just don’t think Moss is a great back, and Cook has some draft capital invested. And I like having the receiving back in a pass heavy offense.

Singletary was impressive last year and i think it will be a mess of a backfield. But I like Cook’s value more than Singletary or Moss. I don’t see Moss contributing enough to be FF relevant.
You might be right. Just hearing from people who are actually at the practices and camp, saying he has really shocked them and is the back they thought he'd be last year. But yes it's going to be an absolute mess and one I don't think I personally want to touch. Moss might be worth an 18th round flier though and I really do think he has the major potential to cap the upside of the other 2 RBS.

Looks like all of Cook's work came with the backups after Singletary and Moss played, right?
ya moss looked pretty good too. Buffalo might be a backfield to completely avoid. Again.
I think Moss looks like a steal this year
But what's his ceiling really? Singletary and Cook are going to get a lot of work
Agreed. They might use Moss as a short yardage back, but that’s of little consequence on a team that likes to throw in the RZ & has a QB to vulture those carries.

IMO Singletary & Cook will dominate touches, and barring injury, Moss won’t do much.
I mean today kind of shows differently than that. I know it's preseason, but they did talk a lot about him and how he's looked so great in camp and finally looks like the back they had wanted. I don't see him as the starter, not even close, but I think he's really going to cut into the other 2's upside.
They've also been keeping Singletary on ice, and he looked really good in his limited action. He only played one series in their intra-squad scrimmage a couple weeks ago. He didn't play last week. He only played 2 series today. I think that is a pretty good indicator that they see him as the clear #1 right now. I'm pretty certain he's played less live snaps than Diggs this pre-season.

To me Cook and Moss seem like they will be pretty even on backup touches, although as some have mentioned it will depend on situation. More GL situations will mean more touches for Moss. More passing downs could skew the touch count a bit more to Cook.

That said, they've all looked good. Go Bills! :shades:

Cook looked really good. Smooth and plenty of burst. Now it’s the second or third team he’s against but promising start for him.
He was also playing with the second & third team, not just against them.

Kid looked good.

He was also playing with the second & third team, not just against them.

Kid looked good.
Yep, very true. The blocking was fair. I mean I guess Cook is a 2nd stringer himself at this point so it's a totally even playing field. Will he look so quick and strong against starting defenses, I don't know. First viewing though is that Cook is a player.

Smooth with good (potentially great) vision, hands, speed and contact balance.

Cross out the word good and remove the parentheses and you have Alvin Kamara. That's who Cook reminds me of. Though AK41 is considerably heavier, Cook somehow doesn't look small. Might be due to big pads, but give this kid a year or two of NFL off-season growth and maybe we see a Kamara-like game fully come out.

First NFL carry and has a bad fumble. Not sure we see him again today.
Yeah terrible way to start. Although it happened with Hunt on opening Thursday Night also who went on to a huge night. That’s not happening here.
Thought of Hunt immediately as well, unfortunately as you know Cook is in rotation hell. Bummer for those hoping he would have an immediate impact. Hopefully he is resilient and earn the trust off a coach who seems to favor making rookies earn it first.

First NFL carry and has a bad fumble. Not sure we see him again today.
Yeah terrible way to start. Although it happened with Hunt on opening Thursday Night also who went on to a huge night. That’s not happening here.
Thought of Hunt immediately as well, unfortunately as you know Cook is in rotation hell. Bummer for those hoping he would have an immediate impact. Hopefully he is resilient and earn the trust off a coach who seems to favor making rookies earn it first.

you guys are optimistic

I immediately thought of David Wilson

but seriously it's a long season

Moss looks like he runs with cement shoes and had a lost fumble himself

they're not gonna put Cook on the shelf, he'll have better matchups and see snaps/touches

but last night def a gut punch to anyone who thought he had a ton of upside out of the gate - was some talk he'd be in the mix right away

Yeah I was surprised to see Moss get so much run - as you said comparing him to Singletary it looked like Moss was running in mud.

Cook will be worked in more and more I believe but he's likely not a guy that should be in starting lineups anytime soon. He only got one snap (that I noticed) after the fumble and that was to act as a decoy on an Allen designed run. The fumble was just unfortunate and buried him on the bench in a game they didn't need him.

Yeah I was surprised to see Moss get so much run - as you said comparing him to Singletary it looked like Moss was running in mud.

Cook will be worked in more and more I believe but he's likely not a guy that should be in starting lineups anytime soon. He only got one snap (that I noticed) after the fumble and that was to act as a decoy on an Allen designed run. The fumble was just unfortunate and buried him on the bench in a game they didn't need him.

3 snaps, 1 touch, no targets

I'm sure after that fumble they just took him out of the script entirely

0 fumbles in 302 touches at Florida, hopefully just a fluke deal

I thought he played for Georgia

I hate getting old

he did, I was confusing him with Dameon Pierce, my bad

I hate getting old

he did, I was confusing him with Dameon Pierce, my bad
At least you had the right part of the country.

Yep. Moss looked terrible compared to Singletary. Cook needs time to become a professional. He'll get there.

Not an ideal start. Moss usage needs to go.

True, and very few RB targets (Singletary had the only two) - I think a lot of people envisioned Cook would have PPR value as a 3rd down back. No evidence that will be his role so far.

Still, at least he got some work in and flashed his talent. I'll keep holding for now (I actually had a claim in for another backup but canceled tonight.)

Drafted Cook early 2nd in dynasty expecting he wouldn't contribute for a year or so but hoping he would make a spot on one of the most explosive offenses in the league

Drafted Cook early 2nd in dynasty expecting he wouldn't contribute for a year or so but hoping he would make a spot on one of the most explosive offenses in the league

Should read too much into it because he didn't get meaningful snaps while the starters were in the game. Still encouraging to see him maximize his opportunity last night, especially after Week 1. Will help his confidence and hopefully lead the coaches to utilize him more going forward.

Pretty bleak rn but he should be able to move past Moss at some point.

Is there any reason to hold him in redraft?

I am. Then again I usually have 7 or 8 RBs on an 18 man (+2 IR) & half are lottery tickets.

Drafted him as my RB4, he morphed into a lotto. It’s a long year, he might evolve a role. Or somebody gets hurt. But def a good drop candidate if there is something better on your wire.

Our WW is threadbare so not really tempted to part with him yet.

Last edited:

Absolutely...when it comes to RBs you gotta think longer...come around week 9 or 10 when the RB injuries are piling up on your roster you could really regret cutting him...whether it is due to an injury to Moss or Singletary or being more acclimated to the NFL Cook could end up being a real valuable asset...he is on a high-octane offense and there is a lot of potential upside here.

I’m curious as to the reasoning of why everyone thinks his is assuredly moving past Moss.
That's part of it for me. He currently has two guys to get past on the depth chart. Plus a QB that runs and vultures rushing touchdowns.

Absolutely...when it comes to RBs you gotta think longer...come around week 9 or 10 when the RB injuries are piling up on your roster you could really regret cutting him...whether it is due to an injury to Moss or Singletary or being more acclimated to the NFL Cook could end up being a real valuable asset...he is on a high-octane offense and there is a lot of potential upside here.
thats what happened to Singletary last year. I held him all year waiting for him and then I dealt him and the next week he starting killing it. To me it all depends on who you are going to pick up. If you are in a jam and you have to do something that’s one thing but most of the guys on the wire aren‘t that attractive (at least in the leagues I’m in).

thats what happened to Singletary last year. I held him all year waiting for him and then I dealt him and the next week he starting killing it. To me it all depends on who you are going to pick up. If you are in a jam and you have to do something that’s one thing but most of the guys on the wire aren‘t that attractive (at least in the leagues I’m in).

The x-factor is always who is on the wire...another thing is when it comes to RB depth you have to stay disciplined and not make a move (i/e. drop a player) just to make a move which we have all done...if we are talking about dropping a veteran RB who we know what he is that is one thing but a young RB with talent who was just drafted in the 2nd round and is on a big time offense is a player you find a spot on your roster for because he could be a difference-maker later in the season...IMO you just have to assume your RB situation is going to get dicey around that week 10 area so you have to do as much as you can to prepare for it.

Who knows what the plan is, but Moss looked subpar and Singletary looked mediocre.

Cook is raw and protecting Allen is paramount to the team. We will see how much they trust him going forward

Is he worth picking up in half ppr? Seems like his value is PPR only and receptions. Not many TD's to be had for RB's in the offense.

I would lying if I didn’t say that I am slightly disappointed that the team hasn‘t trusted him with more snaps, but it’s a long year and he is probably still an injury away from a smash role….

Still not being utilized in the passing game

4-31-1 no targets in 10 snaps
17-89-1 & 4-37 7 targets in 43 snaps

Moss has outsnapped him 4 of 5 g

Long season I’ll keep holding (18 x 12 + 2 IR)

I would lying if I didn’t say that I am slightly disappointed that the team hasn‘t trusted him with more snaps, but it’s a long year and he is probably still an injury away from a smash role….

Still not being utilized in the passing game

4-31-1 no targets in 10 snaps
17-89-1 & 4-37 7 targets in 43 snaps

Moss has outsnapped him 4 of 5 g

Long season I’ll keep holding (18 x 12 + 2 IR)

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to ditch him in a short bench league now that Penny is likely out for the year. Gotta have someone who gets more snaps now with byes in play. Bummer.

The ascension has started. 5 carries for 35 yards and 1 reception for 41 yards. He looks fast and smooth. I would be surprised if the Bills come out of their bye without a plan to get Cook more involved.

The ascension has started. 5 carries for 35 yards and 1 reception for 41 yards. He looks fast and smooth. I would be surprised if the Bills come out of their bye without a plan to get Cook more involved.

I've had Cook and Jaylen Warren stashed on the bottom of my roster all year, glad I held on to both of them

Don't need either atm but you can never have too many RBs for the stretch run

6-2 and gearing up for WKs 15-17

They just came out of their BYE.

6 touches? I mean I hope he starts to ascend, but this seems like very little to go on.

I've had Cook and Jaylen Warren stashed on the bottom of my roster all year, glad I held on to both of them

Don't need either atm but you can never have too many RBs for the stretch run

6-2 and gearing up for WKs 15-17
Yeah two guys I have a lot of as well. Easy to see the signs that they could be a Tony Pollard to their team's Zeke down the stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread