What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Cook, BUF (1 Viewer)

After a promising-ish week 11, Cook came back down to earth in week 12. Week 13 won't be any easier from a rushing standpoint, but I'd like to get the Shark Pool's thoughts on his rest-of-season value.

is he worth a stash?

After a promising-ish week 11, Cook came back down to earth in week 12. Week 13 won't be any easier from a rushing standpoint, but I'd like to get the Shark Pool's thoughts on his rest-of-season value.

is he worth a stash?
If you have Singletary, for sure. If you're not invested already, hard to say... he looks like Jamaal Charles to me when he's got the ball in his hands.

is he worth a stash?

Until Josh Allen turns over primary rushing duties to RBs, there's not much here IMO.

is he worth a stash?
He was targeted 5 times and caught two. One I saw he ran a terrible route and almost caused an interception, the second target I saw he dropped right in front of McDermott and I don’t think he saw the field again. For a guy who was suppose to be a receiving weapon he has failed in that department so far and does not look comfortable in the passing game. Not sure what to think but McDermott does not tolerate a lot of mistakes and has been known to not play rookies more than he has to.

is he worth a stash?
He was targeted 5 times and caught two. One I saw he ran a terrible route and almost caused an interception, the second target I saw he dropped right in front of McDermott and I don’t think he saw the field again. For a guy who was suppose to be a receiving weapon he has failed in that department so far and does not look comfortable in the passing game. Not sure what to think but McDermott does not tolerate a lot of mistakes and has been known to not play rookies more than he has to.
In Cooks defense, josh is dealing with an elbow injury that has caused some of his throws to be off... not to mention most of the passing plays they've thrown to cook were plays thrown to him at/or behind the line of scrimmage that got blown up immediately. Not really his fault, just poorly designed plays. BUT the few plays they've thrown to him in open space have been pretty good given his limited playing time.

PFF is somewhat impressed, 79. Maybe it's the big plays in limited action. Jamal Charles, not quite, but he averaged about a ypc more than Zamir White at Georgia, albeit in a different role. He has wheels.

Week 13 RB Usage

- Devin Singletary: 44% snaps, 13 carries, 2 targets (51 yds, TD)
- James Cook: 44% snaps, 14 carries, 6 targets (105 yds)
- Nyheim Hines: 29% snaps, 2 carries, 2 targets (18 yds)

James Cook rushed 14 times for 64 yards in the Bills' Week 13 win over the Patriots, adding six receptions for 41 additional yards.​

Cook finally put a move on Devin Singletary this evening, out-touching his veteran backfield mate 20-13 and out-gaining him 105-51. Cook posted new season highs in carries, rushing yards, receptions and receiving yards. Pro Football Focus did chart Singletary with a 33-32 snap advantage, but the Bills might finally be hunting for something more in their backfield after months of ordinary Singletary performances. Cook is worth a waiver wire gander ahead of a tough Week 14 date with a Jets defense that stymied both Cook and Singletary in Week 9. It's too early to consider this committee matter case closed in Cook's favor.
Dec 1, 2022, 11:54 PM ET

Great bounce back game from Cook. I am shocked McDermott didn’t hold him back a bit more after last week. A real good sign for those who have been patiently waiting for production.

I am kicking myself for sitting him.

How can you? I own him in both my Dynasty leagues and am a believer in him long-term, but he had not put up enough #'s yet to be kicking yourself for benching him...I actually begrudgingly started him, but it was due to injuries, and I definitely was not expecting that...now, going forward after last night you can start kicking yourself...and if you own him in Dynasty you have to be extremely happy with what you saw.

How can you? I own him in both my Dynasty leagues and am a believer in him long-term, but he had not put up enough #'s yet to be kicking yourself for benching him...I actually begrudgingly started him, but it was due to injuries, and I definitely was not expecting that...now, going forward after last night you can start kicking yourself...and if you own him in Dynasty you have to be extremely happy with what you saw.
I have nothing in my rb 2 spot. Hoping that Hasty gets another big week.

Ok...that makes sense...I get that...I am so banged up I was picking between him and McKinnon...not what I was envisioning back in August when my RB unit looked loaded,

Ok...that makes sense...I get that...I am so banged up I was picking between him and McKinnon...not what I was envisioning back in August when my RB unit looked loaded,
Yeah, this spot was meant to be B Hall

Since we can't rely on the Rest of Season rankings at FBG, how is everyone slotting Cook for the rest of '22 in redrafts?

I have both him and Singletary and didn't start either. And, I probably won't start either against the Jets. If Cook shows a trend, he'll be in my line-up after that until the end.

Since we can't rely on the Rest of Season rankings at FBG, how is everyone slotting Cook for the rest of '22 in redrafts?

I hate to kick the can, but a lot depends on the next game...while he had 20 touches this week, he only had 4 the week before...how he is used in the next game will be a great indicator of what to expect...I think if he can be guaranteed to be in that 10-14 range going forward you will have a good idea of where to slot him the rest of the way.

I drafted Cook, held him u til I had no choice to drop him for byes. Picked him back up but haven’t started him. I pray last night was him taking the #1 rb job

:popcorn:

I was encouraged by what we saw last night. Cook looked explosive and decisive. However, Singletary runs with more tackle-breaking power. I think the split will be determined by game script, but goal line carries will largely belong to Allen and Singletary.

Not bad against the leagues #1 run defense. This is a good sign for the stretch run.

I still can't get over how much he leans forward on his runs. Almost falls over or trips when he has the ball in his hands.

He's getting a lot of **** for falling down last night, and when I looked at the tape, he stumbled twice. Once was intentional to avoid getting crunched by two defenders after a catch and run.

I hate to kick the can, but a lot depends on the next game...while he had 20 touches this week, he only had 4 the week before...how he is used in the next game will be a great indicator of what to expect...I think if he can be guaranteed to be in that 10-14 range going forward you will have a good idea of where to slot him the rest of the way.
I think Cook is very game script dependent. Last night the Bills had the game pretty handily for the 2nd half so Cook got touches. He seems to be the guy they go to when they have the game pretty well in hand. Singletary is still the guy when the game is in doubt. They seem to have been pretty consistent on this over the last few weeks.

I was encouraged by what we saw last night. Cook looked explosive and decisive. However, Singletary runs with more tackle-breaking power. I think the split will be determined by game script, but goal line carries will largely belong to Allen and Singletary.
I was coming in here to say the same thing. Cook seems to get his touches when the game is in hand (not necessarily a complete blow out but comfortably in front) and Singletary seems to be the guy in close games when utmost trust is needed. Singletary is also the second option on the goal line behind Allen.

I think Cook is very game script dependent. Last night the Bills had the game pretty handily for the 2nd half so Cook got touches. He seems to be the guy they go to when they have the game pretty well in hand. Singletary is still the guy when the game is in doubt. They seem to have been pretty consistent on this over the last few weeks.

That was true until last night but definitely not what happened last night as they went to him early…now was that because they wanted to see what Cook would do in a game they knew they would win or because he will now be a bigger piece of the offense or game script as you pointed out..not sure yet and won’t be until we see what happens in the next few games and I think it is risky to count on him after this one game…it is only a one game but from the naked eye Cook looks like he can play and maybe it won’t be until next year but he is going to end up being a quality piece of this offense…but I do agree that for 2022 Singletary is still a big presence.

The game was in doubt in the first quarter when Cook was doing all of his damage.

The game was in doubt in the first quarter when Cook was doing all of his damage.
Looks like from the box score that Singletary had the first drive, Cook the second, Split the third and then it was 17-7 and pretty much in hand. So you are correct that Cook was getting early play but it seemed to be an even split (drive wise not necessarily touch wise)

Who’s rolling out JCook this week? Looks like I’ll be starting him at PPR Flex, with CWatson on bye

Hows next season looking ?
Singletary and Taiwan Jones are both FA.
So the Bills will only have Cook and Hines on the roster. So the Bills will either draft another RB or pick one up in FA, or maybe both.
But to answer your question, I would say its looking good for Cook. (y)

Who’s rolling out JCook this week? Looks like I’ll be starting him at PPR Flex, with CWatson on bye
Likely starting him in a standard league if Walker sits. If I knew Walker was sitting and DJ Dallas was playing, I might rank DJD ahead of him. But as of now I think he's my best option. Don't love the match-up, don't love the dartboard nature of the Buffalo backfield (is this a Cook week or a Singletary week?) But I'm betting on his talent

James Cook rushed five times for 34 yards in the Bills' Week 15 win over the Dolphins, adding two catches for five yards and a touchdown.​

Cook served as the primary change of pace and obvious passing down back behind Devin Singletary, catching a four-yard touchdown as time expired in the first half. He would be used sparingly down the stretch as Singletary played the entirety of the final drive. Cook's fantasy value remains strictly tied to touchdown variance.
Dec 18, 2022, 12:36 AM ET

Not sure what to make of this. I think the only thing I can determine is that he's not startable in any spot unless you absolutely have no other choice. Still not reliable, IMO.

Not sure what to make of this. I think the only thing I can determine is that he's not startable in any spot unless you absolutely have no other choice. Still not reliable, IMO.
A dynasty wait-and-see, that’s all.
I don‘t think he will ever be a bell cow back (although most backs are not). He has a chance to be a valuable roster piece as a guy who gets 8-12 carries as long as he gets passing game work. He is explosive so doesn’t need a ton of touches. My hope is they resign Singeltary to friendly deal and Cook starts taking the higher percentage of touches. This beats the scenario of them drafting an RB high (which I think they would target a WR first anyhow). As long as he continues to progress and be involved in the passing game I am content holding and think he can establish more FF consistency going forward. Another off-season will be of great benefit as long as he is a worker. Having Dalvin as a brother should help in that regard.

A dynasty wait-and-see, that’s all.
I don‘t think he will ever be a bell cow back (although most backs are not). He has a chance to be a valuable roster piece as a guy who gets 8-12 carries as long as he gets passing game work. He is explosive so doesn’t need a ton of touches. My hope is they resign Singeltary to friendly deal and Cook starts taking the higher percentage of touches. This beats the scenario of them drafting an RB high (which I think they would target a WR first anyhow). As long as he continues to progress and be involved in the passing game I am content holding and think he can establish more FF consistency going forward. Another off-season will be of great benefit as long as he is a worker. Having Dalvin as a brother should help in that regard.

Agree 100%...I have stated this a few times but my hope when I drafted him was, he could duplicate James White at this best but for a longer period of time...as you said, that makes for a very valuable roster piece and hopefully for a long time...as someone who builds his roster with stud WRs an RB like that is even more valuable...I am hoping no one drafted him hoping for legit #1/bell cow status because at least on paper he does not project to that...also, agree with you about Singletary...would much rather have the devil you than know than seeing the Bills suddenly using their #1 on a Robinson or Gibbs because they fall to them in the 1st which would be a huge dent in his value.

James Cook rushed 12 times for 39 yards and a touchdown in the Bills' Wild Card Round win over the Dolphins.​

Cook paced the team in attempts, out-carrying Devin Singletary 12-10. Singletary, however, was more efficient, racking up 48 yards on the ground. Nyheim Hines was the only Buffalo running back to see a target. Heading into the Divisional Round, Buffalo's backfield remains a committee, though Cook looks like the better fantasy bet right now.
Jan 15, 2023, 6:01 PM ET

Bills GM Brandon Beane said he's "excited" about James Cook and "looking forward to what he can do ... with an expanded workload and more touches."​

Devin Singletary is a free agent this offseason and Nyheim Hines has been mentioned as a cut candidate multiple times by Bills beat reporters. Cook will likely have some competition for the job somewhere, be it from a Singletary return, a new draft pick, or a different free-agent signing. But it is clear that the Bills intend to give him a real look as the main back and he should be drafted as their primary back for the time being.
SOURCE: Matt Lombardo on Twitter
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:48 PM ET

You almost want Singletary or Hines back because we know they aren’t very good and leaves competition that a second year Cook should be able to pull away from. If both of those guys are leave then it’s possible the Bills sign/draft major competition for Cook.

Quiet around here but as the dust is settling, sure looks like Cook is clear for take off.
I acquired him in my 16-teamer as my RB3, not even thinking of the risk.

Really happy with the draft so far, but still some land mines to dodge in later rounds and FA.

But yeah - so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread