What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (1 Viewer)

Look at Cordarrelle Patterson! 9 years for someone to figure out hey this guy is a monster with the ball in his hands maybe we should let him run it a ton because he has some receiving chops too. Almost faded away into oblivion.
I thought of Patterson too before reading your post.

Mike Davis is another example who got his shot to show what he could do because of CMC injury last year. Davis has had a lot of injuries as part of the reason why he only was able to shine for a short period of time. That is another factor in this.

Thanks. Nice to hear. Yeah, there's usually a defensive run on the top linebackers and DEs in the mid-second round and the defensive players start to get selected with more frequency around the third. A third should yield you a defensive starter in a year or two if you do it right and the player performs as expected, so that's a tricky one to give up. Talking bona fide starter in that range. 

So a third or fourth for Robinson now, most likely a fourth. I know there would be people that play Zealots, and do better than I do, that would say he's worth a third. I wouldn't begrudge them that. 
Yeah IDP basically bumps the non 1st round prospects down a round or so. So in non IDP leagues I would guess Robinson would be worth a 3rd round rookie pick.

Sucks, really like him and enjoy his story.

For a right now move, I guess we’re dropping whatever BB monies left on Dare Ogbonaroo for the championship game?  Starting RB is a starting RB at this point 

Probably miss most of next season too.  If not, I wouldn’t expect much next year, if ever.
With today’s medical advances/technology, I don’t think we can say he won’t be back next year, nor that he can’t be as effective. Akers will be a good litmus test to see the near-term recovery prospects of an Achilles tear.

With today’s medical advances/technology, I don’t think we can say he won’t be back next year, nor that he can’t be as effective. Akers will be a good litmus test to see the near-term recovery prospects of an Achilles tear.
Not sure Akers is ever again what he was, but he’s a lot more talented than Robinson IMO.

Not sure Akers is ever again what he was, but he’s a lot more talented than Robinson IMO.
I don’t know about that 100% but Akers certainly has a ton more athleticism he can afford to lose and still be a good NFL athlete, and that might be the biggest thing at play in recoveries like this. Akers is a freak and could lose 10-15% of his athleticism and still be a starting NFL running back possibly, even if his ceiling was affected. Is that true for JRob? 

I'd value him like a second but based on comments here when my leagues allow for rosters to expand I plan to try and obtain him for a third.
Yeah I’d gamble a mid to late 3rd in a heartbeat if I could afford to burn the roster spot waiting.

I’d wrestle with a late 2nd, prob wouldn’t consider a high 2nd, so late 2/early 3 for the right team feels about right.

I

Any thoughts on him post-draft?
Jaguars took Snoop Conner.  I think Robinson will be part of RBBC with Etienne.  I reviewed newly minted HC Doug Pederson's coaching record specifically with his offense.  He never had a bellcow RB.  Even after taking Miles Sanders high in 2019 second round, he never got 200+ rushing attempts. 

I

Jaguars took Snoop Conner.  I think Robinson will be part of RBBC with Etienne.  I reviewed newly minted HC Doug Pederson's coaching record specifically with his offense.  He never had a bellcow RB.  Even after taking Miles Sanders high in 2019 second round, he never got 200+ rushing attempts. 

Did that pick reflect either way on what the Jags think of Robinsons health/status? Do we think Snoop takes his spot?

Did that pick reflect either way on what the Jags think of Robinsons health/status? Do we think Snoop takes his spot?
I don't think Snoop takes his spot, but you should've already sold him. Robinson probably has 1 more year of fantasy revelance ala Alfred Morris/Spencer Ware. Jacksonville didn't get any UDFA RBs either this draft, but will probably wait until next year to see what ETN/Jrob can do. 

I thought of Patterson too before reading your post.

Mike Davis is another example who got his shot to show what he could do because of CMC injury last year. Davis has had a lot of injuries as part of the reason why he only was able to shine for a short period of time. That is another factor in this.
To be fair, Mike Davis had quite a few opportunities to show what he could do, and fell flat on his face every time.

I

Robinson is reportedly a-ways away. Snoop may get the opportunity to back up ETN early on, and in doing so could to make Robinson obsolete.

will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Robinson has to make a full recovery first. 

I don't think Snoop takes his spot, but you should've already sold him. Robinson probably has 1 more year of fantasy revelance ala Alfred Morris/Spencer Ware. Jacksonville didn't get any UDFA RBs either this draft, but will probably wait until next year to see what ETN/Jrob can do. 
It’s possible that Pederson is waiting to see if Howard or Scott shake loose in Philadelphia or who becomes available the RB market in general. Both RBs had fairly major injuries so they have to be somewhat looking into the position at least.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
That was the 1 time. 

i meant before CAR. 
Ok you did say every time.

Hey I scouted Mike Davis and liked him quite a bit as a prospect so I can relate to how disappointing the majority of career has been.

Him doing well in an ideal situation somewhat validated what I saw he could be, even if for a short period of time. Sadly I had given up on him long before that happened. Others around here carried the torch for him much longer than I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you did say every time.

Hey I scouted Mike Davis and liked him quite a bit as a prospect so I can relate to how disappointing the majority of career has been.

Him doing well in an ideal situation somewhat validated what I saw he could be, even if for a short period of time. Sadly I had given up on him long before that happened. Others around here carried the torch for him much longer than I did.
As a Niner fan I’ve been out on him for a long, long time. 

He's depth which they needed and no.
He certainly might in September/October, maybe longer. Robinson’s injury occurred pretty late.  December 26th.

Akers return was way ahead of the typical schedule for Achilles, which is typically thought to be a year. 

Even if ahead off that schedule, probably October at the earliest? 

Jaguars RB James Robinson (Achilles) has resumed running on the field.

Robinson is five months removed from landing on season-ending IR in December. While not cleared to run at full speed, this supports Jacksonville's August timetable for the third-year back, with Robinson on track to return for the early part of training camp. Coach Doug Pederson has talked up Robinson as a three-down back this offseason, a role he's held his first two seasons, but he faces workloads concerns with Travis Etienne (Lisfranc) back in the mix.

SOURCE: Steinberg Sports

Jun 3, 2022, 6:36 PM ET

The Florida Times-Union's John Reid writes that Jaguars RB James Robinson (Achilles) is "not likely to be ready for next month's training camp."

It was written in part of a roundtable of Jaguars writers, and it didn't exactly go challenged by the other couple of writers in the piece. Robinson had resumed running in early June, but that doesn't exactly mean that he's a lock to be ready for the start of the season. Travis Etienne's stock will continue to climb until Robinson plays. At this point, Robinson may be a candidate to start camp on the PUP list. 

RELATED: 

Travis Etienne

SOURCE: Florida Times-Union

Jun 19, 2022, 1:37 PM ET

Sports Illustrated's John Shipley reports Jaguars head coach Doug Pederson sees James Robinson (Achilles) as a three-down back when fully healthy. 

Not expected to be ready for Jacksonville's training camp next month after suffering an Achilles tear in December, Robinson will likely miss the first part of the regular season. That would leave Travis Etienne as the favorite to take the every-down role in the team's backfield. Shipley said "the Jaguars know how important Robinson is, even with Etienne in the fold," and that the team will remain patient as Robinson comes back from a devastating injury. Shipley pointed out that the Jaguars' dysfunctional 2021 offense was less dysfunctional with Robinson on the field. The Jags' play-action decreased by 14 percent without Robinson, while Trevor Lawrence's completion percentage, positive play-rate, EPA per attempt, and completion percentage were much higher with Robinson on the field. If Robinson falls down draft boards far enough, he could make for a savvy late-round selection in redraft formats. 

RELATED: 

Travis Etienne

SOURCE: SI.com 

Jun 21, 2022, 8:56 AM ET

ESPN's Michael DiRocco writes that RB James Robinson is "expected to be cleared to return at some point in training camp."

So not at the start of it, then, which meshes with what the Florida Times-Union noted Sunday. Robinson may not have much runway to get ready for the season with this timeline, but it sounds like he may be active for Week 1 anyway. DiRocco also notes that "the Jaguars still view [Robinson] as their top back."

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 21, 2022, 2:06 PM ET

Rooting for the guy but RBs have a brutal history with this injury. If Cam Akers comes back to be productive he'll be the first ever RB I believe? Odds not in JRs favor but I hope he can get back to full speed. 

Rooting for the guy but RBs have a brutal history with this injury. If Cam Akers comes back to be productive he'll be the first ever RB I believe? Odds not in JRs favor but I hope he can get back to full speed. 
D'Onta Foreman and Marlon Mack are still in the running, too. Foreman had an excellent stint in Tennessee last year and looked spry. Mack looked okay but caught a competition bus in Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines's 1-2 punch. Medical advances are a real fact of life, so who knows who can return from what injury? I just thought Robinson didn't have burst to lose, but we'll see. It's possible. 

Oh I wouldn’t say to not throw out offers, but Achilles is a tough one. He could pay off in 2 years. Don’t believe he’ll be the man this year. 
Yet people forgive ETN for a Lisfranc injury that required surgery and that can also leave him not the same player he was.

Yet people forgive ETN for a Lisfranc injury that required surgery and that can also leave him not the same player he was.
ETN has already recovered. Reports are he’s explosive and making tight cuts.

Robinson just barely started running. 

That’s a pretty sizable difference, obviously. 

I picked him up in the 15th round in one of the underdog tournaments. He's a great late round target IMO. Or you're lighting it on fire. Either way.
Did the same in that contest but I do like Robinson more as a cheap dynasty investment.

The latest posted article is spot on, he's the starting RB, obviously when healthy.  My guess is ETN understands this which is why he lost weight and talks about himself more as a weapon, like a Deebo.

I've been encouraged by Robinson's progress and vibe the team seems to have around his recovery but still think it's possible he misses a few weeks, still might start on PUP and miss first 6 games. Then might not be closer to that 100% mark till 2023.  This is all why I like him more in dynasty but still like the stab in late redrafts, so long as it's late.

James Robinson to me is one of the most underrated RB's in the league, at least based on how people on these boards talk about him. I truly think people can't get over the draft stock and Urban drafting ETN. You can say he's not special which seems to be the go to but how many are? He's a a legit 3 down back who has done nothing but produce and reminds me a lot of a young Frank Gore. Great buy low right now because I truly believe the Jags feel about him the way I do.

The latest posted article is spot on, he's the starting RB, obviously when healthy.
I don't think we can say "obviously" or even anything close to it, as Pederson didn't draft either Robinson or Etienne. 

All that said, as an Etienne owner, I'm concerned if Pederson is really saying these things about Robinson being a 3-down back. There's no incentive for him to say it unless he really felt that Robinson would be his preferred option when they're both healthy.

There's obviously a long way to go and Robinson is only 6 months from his Achilles tear, but unless Etienne seizes the backfield out of the gate, he's likely going to be mired in a maddening RBBC when Robinson returns.

It's a little old now but there is a study on the impact of lisfranc injuries on NFL players.

It's a small sample size but they came to this conclusion:

Evaluation of the durability of injured players after the season of injury revealed no statistically significant difference in career length compared with controls.

Offensive and defensive players experienced a decrease in performance after return from injury that did not reach statistical significance compared with their respective control groups over a similar time period.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27166291/#:~:text=Evaluation of the durability of,months from time of injury.

Combine that with the fact ETN is back at camp and reports are he looks explosive, I think we need to buy the injury discount on ETN. 

Combine that with the fact ETN is back at camp and reports are he looks explosive, I think we need to buy the injury discount on ETN. 
yeah, we’re well past an evaluation of a statistical likelihood of ETN since he’s out there doing it. At some point it’s about the specific player’s recovery, not “how players generally recover”.

And until we see Robinson actually come back fully from his Achilles, he should still be considered in the light of “typical” Achilles repair - which, up until Akers, was considered career impacting. Time will tell if Robinson recovers completely. He’s just started running. 

We can talk at the end of the season. I'm not saying Robinson will be a stud any time soon. But he has shown he CAN be while ETN has done nothing. Take ETN early. I won't. 
I agree… IF he comes back from his Achilles with the same efficacy as Akers, it’s certainly possible he’ll pay off.

But that’s hardly a guarantee, and he’s only just been cleared to run. 

I see him more as of 2023 player to have than a 2022

I don't think we can say "obviously" or even anything close to it, as Pederson didn't draft either Robinson or Etienne. 

All that said, as an Etienne owner, I'm concerned if Pederson is really saying these things about Robinson being a 3-down back. There's no incentive for him to say it unless he really felt that Robinson would be his preferred option when they're both healthy.

There's obviously a long way to go and Robinson is only 6 months from his Achilles tear, but unless Etienne seizes the backfield out of the gate, he's likely going to be mired in a maddening RBBC when Robinson returns.
There are  3 likely scenarios (ignoring future injuries, trades, etc):

A) ETN gets the bulk of the meaningful touches if.... ETN is the elite back he was in college and/or Robinson does not make a full recovery

B) Robinson gets the bulk of the meaningful touches if... ETN is outright bad AND Robinson makes a complete recovery. 

C) It's a very even split if...ETN is mediocre AND Robinson makes a complete recovery. 

In the end, I want to bet on the most likely outcomes and that would be explosive 1st round RB with pass catching chops is good and RB who tore his achilles  last Christmas won't be fully recovered for the next season.

There are  3 likely scenarios (ignoring future injuries, trades, etc):

A) ETN gets the bulk of the meaningful touches if.... ETN is the elite back he was in college and/or Robinson does not make a full recovery

B) Robinson gets the bulk of the meaningful touches if... ETN is outright bad AND Robinson makes a complete recovery. 

C) It's a very even split if...ETN is mediocre AND Robinson makes a complete recovery. 

In the end, I want to bet on the most likely outcomes and that would be explosive 1st round RB with pass catching chops is good and RB who tore his achilles  last Christmas won't be fully recovered for the next season.
I see a 4th scenario: 

ETN gets the bulk of touches while Robinson is coming back from injury, then post-recovery ETN becomes a slash/wideback type, moving to receiver when (if) Robinson is fully recovered & in the backfield. 

I see a 4th scenario: 

ETN gets the bulk of touches while Robinson is coming back from injury, then post-recovery ETN becomes a slash/wideback type, moving to receiver when (if) Robinson is fully recovered & in the backfield. 
That seems unlikely. These teams almost never move a RBs to WRs. Plus the Jags have a lot of slot type WRs as is. I am sure he will get some of those kinds of reps but not enough to carve out a meaningful fantasy role IMO. He needs RB reps IMO. 

That seems unlikely. These teams almost never move a RBs to WRs. Plus the Jags have a lot of slot type WRs as is. I am sure he will get some of those kinds of reps but not enough to carve out a meaningful fantasy role IMO. He needs RB reps IMO. 
Yeah, I feel like some of the Pederson commentary is like “rah rah go get em, kid. Big part of our plans, now get out there and work hard, get better” kinda thing. 

Because he also had extremely positive things to say about ETN & his expected workload recently. 

Yeah, I feel like some of the Pederson commentary is like “rah rah go get em, kid. Big part of our plans, now get out there and work hard, get better” kinda thing. 

Because he also had extremely positive things to say about ETN & his expected workload recently. 
Right, he has nothing to gain from saying anything negative about either player right now. He obviously wants them both to be healthy, playing well and helping the team every week. He may have some worries about that happening but he's obviously going to put a positive spin on everything. 

Users who are viewing this thread