What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jeff Wilson, MIA (1 Viewer)

Hey Mitchell owners…are you stashing Wilson. I saw that he is back at practice & has a 21 day window to become activated. 
If I had an open roster spot...maybe.

Or if Peterson shows quickly he has nothing left for the Titans.

But between byes and injuries to Carson and Barkley...my bench spots are pretty limited.

If I had an open roster spot...maybe.

Or if Peterson shows quickly he has nothing left for the Titans.

But between byes and injuries to Carson and Barkley...my bench spots are pretty limited.

Historically speaking Wilson has been carries as a last resort.  I think if Mitchell goes down you see sermon appear again and get a heavier dose of hasty.

Historically speaking Wilson has been carries as a last resort.  I think if Mitchell goes down you see sermon appear again and get a heavier dose of hasty.

For transparency, I own Wilson in all three of my leagues.  That said:

I keep seeing people's opinions that Hasty is going to get volume...yet he never does.  The Chicago game is the first time I can recall he had a real role, consistently playing on 3rd downs.

Sermon seems to be in the dog house.

For me, a wild card is if/when Lance plays.  Presuming the 49ers are out of the race eventually, I would think Shanahan tries to surround Lance with non-question marks, of which Wilson is one.

Of course, Mitchell is the presumed starter until further notice.

Would be shocked to see Sermon get carries over Wilson (if 100%). Sermon seems to have been kicked into Shanahan's doghouse and once you're in there it's difficult to get out.

Have a feeling Shanahan will use Mitchell and Wilson as a 1-2 punch. Don't see why the Mitchell fans think it's his job end of story. Could see Mitchell-Wilson-Hasty being the new T. Coleman-Mostert-Wilson trio.

Don't see why the Mitchell fans think it's his job end of story.

Agreed, Wilson never got a shot to compete versus Mitchell.  I could for sure see Wilson taking the job when he gets his legs under him but surprised but if I had to guess it's a RBBC not involving Sermon.

25 years old

Had 733 total yds and 10 TDs last year. 

Wk 7 after coming off an Inactive week, 17/112/3TDs @New England granted they had a lot of their defense not playing last year. 

He then goes on injured reserve for 3 weeks. 

Wilson had a hot streak to end the season in Weeks 16 and 17 at AZ and SEA, neither of them made the playoffs, not sure what you can draw from that. 

And I might add the Niners drafted 2 RBs, one of them is fresh off a strong performances 107 yds and 137 plus they took Sermon 3 rounds ahead of him...I just don't understand the logic to get Wilson out on the field and taking away touches when Mitchell is getting the job done AND AND AND San Fran is winning with him at RB, just don't see Mitchell falling behind Wilson.  

Ministry of Pain said:
25 years old

Wk 7 after coming off an Inactive week, 17/112/3TDs @New England granted they had a lot of their defense not playing last year. 

Wilson had a hot streak to end the season in Weeks 16 and 17 at AZ and SEA, neither of them made the playoffs, not sure what you can draw from that. 

And I might add the Niners drafted 2 RBs, one of them is fresh off a strong performances 107 yds and 137 plus they took Sermon 3 rounds ahead of him...I just don't understand the logic to get Wilson out on the field and taking away touches when Mitchell is getting the job done AND AND AND San Fran is winning with him at RB, just don't see Mitchell falling behind Wilson.  

For me this is the correct answer.  Wilson is really the 49ers 4th string rb.  I get they get injuries and an opportunity might open up but they know what they have with this guy and it's as a backup.  

if mitchell goes down sermon will 100% be part of the rb package.  Hasty isn't going to get a ton of carries but he will get carries.  

Ministry of Pain said:
25 years old

Completely follow and understand your logic MoP. Yet I've also seen brilliant flashes from Jeff Wilson, Jr. as you described, which is hard for any team or coach to deny when he does see the field, which will mean he gets his crack at it. It just feels like he could break one at any time. Other then that too crowded in that backfield and I'm not taking the carrot on this one lol. I did with Adrian Peterson though. Had to, lost Henry - bummer. 

This situation sure has escalated quickly...

Matt Barrows

@mattbarrows

Shanahan said Jeff Wilson "has kind of taken off" in his rehab in recent weeks, says there's a chance the RB faces Cardinals. Elijah Mitchell's rib injury will play a role in whether Wilson is in uniform.

Is this a wait-and-see approach or are we desperate enough to pencil him in if it comes down to it? If Mitchell doesn't start, gotta think it's a good flex play, no? 

Is this a wait-and-see approach or are we desperate enough to pencil him in if it comes down to it? If Mitchell doesn't start, gotta think it's a good flex play, no? 
I have Mitchell so if he doesn’t play and CMC also sits I’ll have to start Jeff Wilson. 

I'm thinking of starting Rex Burhead so as you can see I'm open for anything.  This buy week is killing me in one league.  6 out of 15 players on bye.

You guys are ignoring SHANAHANANIGANS. If Wilson is really healthy (and depending on how banged up Mitchell is), he's going to ascend the depth chart due to "vet presence". That's just how it works.

He manages to look good and not get hurt, he might get the backup RB role and maybe the goal line/2 minute drill role due to him being able to run routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. A knee injury. The question is when and if to make a claim. 

>>Then in May, a freak injury of his meniscus occurred when the running back simply stood up from a chair in the locker room. <<

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/how-jeff-wilson-jrs-return-will-affect-49ers-offense-vs-cardinals%3famp
Now if you want him. He’s activated. Which means they will play him. Whether it’s this week or the coming weeks, he’s a proven commodity running back that has produced for a coach that tends to trust those that can prove themselves, and Mitchell continues to get beat up.

But if Sermon and Hasty are also available, what upside would Wilson have coming off a foot injury?

In terms of upside a lot.

Depending on if you want to use week 17 his last 6-7 games he dropped two 25+ point PPR games and was RB 13/14 in PPG-around 16-17ppg. I absolutely recall last year having one of my dynasty teams suffer some injuries and I threw him in my lineup in week 16 and he almost got me a championship.

So that's the upside.

Obviously the major downside would be if they are rushing him back, practice time certainly seems low.

ETA-in terms of Sermon at this point I think I even got Shanahan down with knowing how he feels about him and I've seen nothing at all that makes me think Hasty is anything other then a third down back.  I view Wilson's health and conditioning as far more critical to his success then these two.

Mitchell looking like he will play today.

Wilson could very well be the goalline guy (as he has been quite good down there scoring TDs in the past).

Mitchell looking like he will play today.

Wilson could very well be the goalline guy (as he has been quite good down there scoring TDs in the past).
Still doubt anyone could be comfortable starting Wilson as anything other than a desperation dart throw. But the quote below makes me feel uncomfortable starting any niners back.

“The San Francisco 49ers are expecting running back Elijah Mitchell and wide receiver Deebo Samuel to play Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals, but are uncertain how long both players will be able to go, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday”

Still doubt anyone could be comfortable starting Wilson as anything other than a desperation dart throw. But the quote below makes me feel uncomfortable starting any niners back.

“The San Francisco 49ers are expecting running back Elijah Mitchell and wide receiver Deebo Samuel to play Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals, but are uncertain how long both players will be able to go, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday”
Yeah...I am starting Mitchell, but not very comfortable about it.  But he seems he will get as many carries as Javonte at a minimum (barring reinjury).  This injury and CMC coming back this week really threw my lineup around.  Hoping I get Barkley back after the bye and can go back to not having to rely on this type of stuff.

I was happy to grab Wilson in the league that I have Mitchell. 
We know that Shanahan loves Wilson, but has to be happy with what Mitchell has done the last couple of weeks. 

With that being said, Mitchell has already been banged up, and you have to think that if he misses time, Wilson will get the carries over Sermon or Hasty.  

Anything is possible, and the last two years have taught me to everything coming out of 49ers land with a grain of salt.

We know that Shanahan loves Wilson, but has to be happy with what Mitchell has done the last couple of weeks. 

With that being said, Mitchell has already been banged up, and you have to think that if he misses time, Wilson will get the carries over Sermon or Hasty.  
I think Mitchell being banged after every game means he’s best rbbc

What do you mean shanahan loves wilson?  Wilson has been the 3rd to 4th string rb under shanahan.  That's hardly love.  When he played it's because everyone else was injured and if you look at week 7 last year he gave hasty 10 carries to wilson 17.  Hasty doesn't usually get that kind of carries...

What do you mean shanahan loves wilson?  Wilson has been the 3rd to 4th string rb under shanahan.  That's hardly love.  When he played it's because everyone else was injured and if you look at week 7 last year he gave hasty 10 carries to wilson 17.  Hasty doesn't usually get that kind of carries...
I think it's futile to try and figure out the peeking order.  Somebody may have a gut feel or an observation they can support with fact - but there's not enough evidence for a definitive statement.  Some will be right and some will be wrong - but will only be proven in retrospect.

I think it's futile to try and figure out the peeking order.  Somebody may have a gut feel or an observation they can support with fact - but there's not enough evidence for a definitive statement.  Some will be right and some will be wrong - but will only be proven in retrospect.

Well through 2 years Wilson has been the 3rd to 4th string rb.  That's the only facts we have right now

Not that anyone particularly cares, but I'm putting him in today because I need to swing for the fences this afternoon. He offers a higher ceiling than A.J. Dillon, IMO. Dillon depends on a new injury to Aaron Jones and will see stacked boxes with Love in the game instead of Rodgers. Wilson might get either third down work, garbage time work if the score gets away from SF and they play from behind, or even every down work if Mitchell gets hurt. 

Watch Shanahan put him in exactly twice. 

eta* Going with Dillon. I don't know why, but I feel like he's the 1A today. Weird, but true. We shall see. 

Jeff Wilson did not play a snap in the 49ers' Week 9 loss against the Cardinals. 

Activated to the 53-player roster on Saturday, Wilson spent the entire game on the sideline. Elijah Mitchell played 66 percent of the Niners' snaps and operated as the workhorse on his away to another solid fantasy outing. JaMycal Hasty played 34 percent of the team's snaps against Arizona. Wilson should only be rostered in the deepest formats.

- NBC SportsEDGE

He's going to be a hard hold this week.

Thought if he was active he'd at least get some snaps.

This could be E. Mitchell's backfield minus an injury instead of a situation where Shanahan has his pet back and immediately is going to give him a chance to win the backfield. Was hoping for the latter. 

He's going to be a hard hold this week.

Thought if he was active he'd at least get some snaps.

This could be E. Mitchell's backfield minus an injury instead of a situation where Shanahan has his pet back and immediately is going to give him a chance to win the backfield. Was hoping for the latter. 
Shanahan's "genius" is wearing off real quick.

I'm holding myself and not really even a thought of not holding because I saw what Wilson can do last year and feel odds are he'll get another shot at some point this year. Mitchell has played 6 games and left one of them early and got heavily dinged up in the other. Adding in he's also a rookie who was not a workhorse in college and his odds of remaining healthy with the workload he's been getting does not seem high.

I was surprised that they would activate Wilson and not use him a snap but honestly that had me thinking more about Sermon than Wilson.  Wilson got hurt in May. Had zero training camp and one week of practice, that seems difficult for any RB to actually be ready and still Shanahan preferred to have him as next man up if Mitchell went down. 

This.  That means he does have value if Mitchell/Hasty get hurt.  He is a lottery pick similar to other deep backups.

That's all I'm trying to say

THe guy has never been 'the guy'.  Shanny has  rolled out every warm body possible over wilson the last 2 years. 

The biggest thing to be is the message you send by making him active. Now it's understandable a guy would be eased in not see snaps first game back from a serious injury. But... why would you make Sermon inactive if you weren't going to play Wilson snaps to begin with? Now you're just messing with Sermon in a similar manner he messed with Pettis/Ayuk/(insert 49ers player), it makes little sense.

He's the clear backup to Mitchell. Picked him up as insurance and happy to have that already solidified. Was worried Sermon could be the direct handcuff to Mitchell but it's clearly Wilson already. 

He may start taking snaps from Hasty but Mitchell is the guy and Wilson is the handcuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread