What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jerick McKinnon, KC (1 Viewer)

If I was in a draft today and someone told me I got to pick a SF RB and Mostert will cost me a 5th, Coleman a 10th and JMC a 15th I would proceed to target JMC with my 15th round pick. He's the one, relative to the cost I'd rather invest. If I see or know he's actually healthy and not diminished in any way, he's the one I'd rather take a shot regardless of price but we are not at that point yet.

If I was in a draft today and someone told me I got to pick a SF RB and Mostert will cost me a 5th, Coleman a 10th and JMC a 15th I would proceed to target JMC with my 15th round pick. He's the one, relative to the cost I'd rather invest. If I see or know he's actually healthy and not diminished in any way, he's the one I'd rather take a shot regardless of price but we are not at that point yet.
I like the value of all 3 in those rounds

The Mercury News reports Jerick McKinnon has “looked sharp running routes” in the first few days of training camp.

McKinnon has been one of the early camp standouts. The 49ers may look to get him involved on passing downs now that he’s healthy, potentially cutting into the workloads of Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman.  The 49ers also have Kyle Juszczyk as a third-down option. Even on a crowded depth chart, McKinnon’s $2 million dead money hit likely secures his roster spot.

RELATED: 

Raheem Mostert

, Tevin Coleman

, Salvon Ahmed

SOURCE: Mercury News

Aug 7, 2020, 8:20 PM ET

Niners beat writer Matt Maiocco said RB Jerick McKinnon "gives the 49ers an element it has not enjoyed in recent years."

Maioccoo reiterated that Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman would remain the team's top two running backs, but McKinnon -- who hasn't played since 2017 -- has shined as a pass catcher out of the backfield in Niners' training camp. Five 49ers running backs split 103 targets in 2019, with Coleman leading the group with 30 targets

RELATED: 

Tevin Coleman

SOURCE: NBC Sports 

Aug 15, 2020, 3:28 PM ET

Budda Baker's contract furthers NFL trend; plus, why the Chargers are better off with Tyrod Taylor and much more

Excerpt:

1) Jerick McKinnon: His time to shine has arrived. Two seasons have passed since the San Francisco 49ers inked Jerick McKinnon to a four-year, $30 million deal to be their RB1, and it looks like the team is finally about to get a return on its investment.

After missing the entire 2018 season with an ACL tear, McKinnon suffered a setback in his recovery last August that cost him all of the 2019 campaign, too. However, after restructuring his deal in March to stay with the Niners, McKinnon has looked "phenomenal" in training camp, according to teammate Kyle Juszczyk. Head coach Kyle Shanahan is counting on the 28-year-old to be a major contributor this season.

"We brought 'Jet' here for a reason a few years ago," Shanahan said during a recent interview on KNBR's Tolbert, Krueger & Brooks show. "And we went into that year thinking about adding a receiver in free agency. All the receivers out there, we didn't really think fit the role of what they were all getting paid.

"And we thought there was a running back who, at the time, we thought could come in here and be our starting running back, but more importantly, be a guy that we got the ball to a lot in the pass game."

In 2017 (his final season with the Minnesota Vikings), McKinnon tallied 991 scrimmage yards (570 rushing, 421 receiving) with five touchdowns. Reviewing the All-22 Coaches Film from that season, the veteran runner displayed quick feet and a shifty running style that perfectly fits the 49ers' zone-based scheme. McKinnon wastes little time getting to and through the hole, and his outstanding stop-start quickness makes him tough to corral when he reaches the second level.

Although he flashes enough wiggle, bounce and scoot to handle duties as a workhorse runner, he's at his best when featured as a playmaker in the aerial attack. As a pass catcher, McKinnon not only shows soft hands and natural ball skills but he is an exceptional route runner with outstanding poise and patience setting up defenders at the top of his breaks. The 5-9, 205-pounder has a refined set of skills that would make him a dangerous weapon from the backfield, slot or out wide in a creative passing game. In addition, his patience, hands and open-field running ability could make him a big-play threat as the feature back in the screen game.

The 49ers did rank second in the league in rushing (and points scored) last season with McKinnon sidelined, and that should have the team's fans excited. He still will be competing against Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman for snaps, but that gives the Niners enviable depth at the position. With McKinnon re-emerging as a highlight playmaker in camp while shaking off the rust, Shanahan has another weapon to add to an already-explosive offensive lineup.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/139608-jerick-mckinnon-evolving-bigger-impact-49ers-raheem-mostert/

One of McKinnon's teammates who can't wait to see the running back finally step back onto the football field is Raheem Mostert.

"He adds a lot. He's very versatile coming out of the backfield, making plays," Mostert told Damon Bruce, Ray Ratto, and Matt Kolsky. "You can line him up at slot. His pass-catching is unbelievable, route-running. He works on those types of things, but then he's also transitioned to being a smooth runner.

"I remember the first year he got here; he knew the routes. He knew the route trees for the receivers and running backs, and he's perfecting that. But he didn't really have a full grasp as a runner."

Position coach Bobby Turner has been helping McKinnon to become an even better and more punishing running back. It must be paying off because there were training camp reports of McKinnon embarrassing defenders during practices.

"I think, this year, he's definitely taken that role of being more of an elusive runner just to mix up the pace of the game," Mostert continued.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/139608-jerick-mckinnon-evolving-bigger-impact-49ers-raheem-mostert/

One of McKinnon's teammates who can't wait to see the running back finally step back onto the football field is Raheem Mostert.

"He adds a lot. He's very versatile coming out of the backfield, making plays," Mostert told Damon Bruce, Ray Ratto, and Matt Kolsky. "You can line him up at slot. His pass-catching is unbelievable, route-running. He works on those types of things, but then he's also transitioned to being a smooth runner.

"I remember the first year he got here; he knew the routes. He knew the route trees for the receivers and running backs, and he's perfecting that. But he didn't really have a full grasp as a runner."

Position coach Bobby Turner has been helping McKinnon to become an even better and more punishing running back. It must be paying off because there were training camp reports of McKinnon embarrassing defenders during practices.

"I think, this year, he's definitely taken that role of being more of an elusive runner just to mix up the pace of the game," Mostert continued.
My #1 sleeper who is going to surprise and I think he will lead the 49 RB's in PPR fantasy points.

Jerick McKinnon rushed three times for 24 yards, catching 3-of-5 targets for 20 yards and a touchdown in San Francisco's Week 1 loss to the Cardinals.

With 8:38 remaining in the final quarter, Jimmy Garoppolo hit McKinnon for the go-ahead touchdown — McKinnon's first score since 2017 — from the five-yard line. Both Raheem Mostert (19/151/1) and McKinnon were featured in the passing game since the Niners were without Deebo Samuel (foot, IR) and Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring), but it's notable that coach Kyle Shanahan called for the latter to out-touch Tevin Coleman 6 to 5. Mostert is the clear workhorse following one regular season game, but McKinnon should continue providing just enough value to be a matchup-based starter in deeper leagues.

Sep 13, 2020, 9:14 PM ET

Jerick McKinnon rushed three times for 77 yards and one score in the 49ers' Week 2 win over the Jets.

Most of McKinnon's yards came on a 55-yard scamper. The 49ers were facing 3rd and 31 on McKinnon's breakaway carry. Despite missing two seasons with an ACL injury and further complications, McKinnon showed off his signature speed on the limited work he saw. Raheem Moster went down with a knee injury that could cost him some time. If that's the case, McKinnon could end up as part of a backfield-by-committee with Tevin Coleman for a few weeks. He's a premium add off the waiver wire in fantasy leagues this week.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 3 Waiver Wire: Fantasy Football Players Rush to Free Agency Pool to Replace Injured Studs

Excerpt:

Jerick McKinnon, San Francisco 49ers: Raheem Mostert was off to a fantastic start against the Jets, rushing eight times for 92 yards and a score before he left the game with a knee injury. Mostert was replaced by Jerick McKinnon, who rushed for 77 yards and a score on just three carries. With injuries to quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, tight end George Kittle and now Mostert, the 49ers offense is in shambles. But if there is one thing head coach Kyle Shanahan will make sure his team continues to do well, it is run the football. Look for McKinnon to pop up as the top pick-up for Week 3. McKinnon could be a sneaky value play in DraftKings' Week 3 contests. 

I drafted him near the final rounds. This is his opportunity to actually run away with the starter job. 1 month after Shanahan became coach he went and got Mckinnon. Obviously he had pretty bad luck with injuries but Shanny clearly sees something in him.

They can't keep him hidden away forever as of they are last in the hardest division in football. Upcoming games could be huge down the line. They need these wins now as I wouldn't be suprised if the winner of the NFC north is 13-3.

Jet should be money for a few weeks and when Mostert and Coleman are back it really should be a 2 man backfield. Coleman sucks and is nowhere nearly as good as the other 2.

Any word on Mostert yet? I lost CMC and can pick up McKinnon, davis, others (10 teamer). Figure whatever I do will be wrong but McKinnon s explosiveness and play calling has me hopeful he could be the right pick. As stated by zamboni still have to worry about Wilson 

I need convinced he really will be the lead option. I'm skeptical. 
:lmao:   😂    :lmao:

I'm laughing because this is true. I want to see him produce but there has to be another RB on this team that will eat up touches while he continues to touch the ball 5x a game. 

Two RBs in front of him go down with knee injuries and he ends up with 3 carries?  

This Jeff Wilson has a 23/90 game on his resume and he had 8 catches for 75 yds in another game but very little else, McKinnon of course doesn't even have that quite yet on his Niners' resume. A big game for him might be 6 carries and 3 catches. What happened to all that volume he was getting with Kittle out? Oh yeah, Jordan Reed. So keep searching down the roster, must be some practice squad guys who can walk across the field and suit right up.  

16.8 yds per carry

:lmao:   😂    :lmao:

I'm laughing because this is true. I want to see him produce but there has to be another RB on this team that will eat up touches while he continues to touch the ball 5x a game. 

Two RBs in front of him go down with knee injuries and he ends up with 3 carries?  

This Jeff Wilson has a 23/90 game on his resume and he had 8 catches for 75 yds in another game but very little else, McKinnon of course doesn't even have that quite yet on his Niners' resume. A big game for him might be 6 carries and 3 catches. What happened to all that volume he was getting with Kittle out? Oh yeah, Jordan Reed. So keep searching downt he roster, must be some practice squad guys who can walk across the field and suit right up.  

16.8 yds per carry
*cough* JaMycal Hasty *cough*

Someone offered me Ertz for McKinnon straight up...thought I should share so others can gauge redraft value. That's what you might be able to pull off in a redraft league where Goedert keeps getting plenty of press. I already have Kittles but we can Flex, might take Ertz then turn around and see what Kittles will fetch me if not this week then when he returns. 

McKinnon has a total of 6 carries in a Niners uniform in 3 years? Seems like someone you want to flip quickly in redraft if you can and I wasn't actively shopping him. The hype train is out of control already. 

Someone offered me Ertz for McKinnon straight up...thought I should share so others can gauge redraft value. That's what you might be able to pull off in a redraft league where Goedert keeps getting plenty of press. I already have Kittles but we can Flex, might take Ertz then turn around and see what Kittles will fetch me if not this week then when he returns. 

McKinnon has a total of 6 carries in a Niners uniform in 3 years? Seems like someone you want to flip quickly in redraft if you can and I wasn't actively shopping him. The hype train is out of control already. 
Nothing wrong with taking a profit on McKinnon if you are not sold on him long term. Doesn't sound like you are. Also doesn't sound like you need a TE that badly. Are you going to take the deal?

The 49ers have been one of the best rushing offenses the last two years and McKinnon was hand picked to be their main RB before he got injured. The 49ers paid him a lot of money at that time. Now he is healthy and some of the other RB they have had success with are gone. It is possible that McKinnon ends up being their main RB for the rest of the year and if so the guy giving up Ertz for him must think he can and that would make his team better than it is with Ertz right now.

I am torn between him and Davis for a 2-4 week rental in PPR (WW Priority 3). I know Jet has the greater long term value at Flex, and I think that's the tiebreaker... \

....however you guys are scaring me with the talk of a split backfield. 

Nothing wrong with taking a profit on McKinnon if you are not sold on him long term. Doesn't sound like you are. Also doesn't sound like you need a TE that badly. Are you going to take the deal?

The 49ers have been one of the best rushing offenses the last two years and McKinnon was hand picked to be their main RB before he got injured. The 49ers paid him a lot of money at that time. Now he is healthy and some of the other RB they have had success with are gone. It is possible that McKinnon ends up being their main RB for the rest of the year and if so the guy giving up Ertz for him must think he can and that would make his team better than it is with Ertz right now.
this.

Niners  are down to 1 WR and a receiving RB - McKinnon. Mostert has 23/148 while McKinnon has 6/101. JMC is doing more with less. Now I get that it's unsustainable and illogical to think he can continue a 16 ypc ag. , but JMC is now the #1 back in a rush-first offense without some big guns at WR and RB and he's the perfect all-around player that can catch and run. 

In two games in PPR scoring, he’s had 9 total touches. And scored 27 fantasy points. 
There's two sides to that coin...one has to wonder in the last game why McKinnon didn't see the ball more.  

Mostert ran 80 yards for a score on like the 1st play of the game so when Mostert returns at best this is a split backfield. 

It's the 9 touches over the last 3 years that scares me the most, you can't just look at those two years he was injured as simple mulligans. I also went back and looked at Minnesota, he was never the feature back. 

There's two sides to that coin...one has to wonder in the last game why McKinnon didn't see the ball more.  

Mostert ran 80 yards for a score on like the 1st play of the game so when Mostert returns at best this is a split backfield. 

It's the 9 touches over the last 3 years that scares me the most, you can't just look at those two years he was injured as simple mulligans. I also went back and looked at Minnesota, he was never the feature back. 
go back and look at Mostert's history if you want to see a guy who bounced around and got minimal touches.  He was with 6 teams and had 7 touches in 3 years.  I agree that a heavy workload will likely be an issue for McKinnon but the talent is undeniable.  SF targeted him two years ago and he was injured for 2 years and they kept him...why?  

Redraft 2020, guy has 9 touches this year and that's 9 more than he had in 2018 and 2019, Ertz has made the Pro Bowl 3 years in a row although i will say he is up and down, the 1st half of 2019 he was a bust. 2nd half of season different story for sure. Not sure how long term you are talking. You're asking a lot for McKinnon to go wire to wire.

I want you to know though I agree with many of your thoughts which is why I am still kind of debating in my head. It's hard to believe he is going to start rolling out box scores like...15/80/TD with 3/30 receiving. That's 20 in PPR and that box score I posted has almost never happened for him, certainly not in a Niners uniform. SF got over the money 2 years ago when he first went down, it's business, the only issue is it ties up cap space. 

I'm skeptical like @MAC_32

this.

Niners  are down to 1 WR and a receiving RB - McKinnon. Mostert has 23/148 while McKinnon has 6/101. JMC is doing more with less. Now I get that it's unsustainable and illogical to think he can continue a 16 ypc ag. , but JMC is now the #1 back in a rush-first offense without some big guns at WR and RB and he's the perfect all-around player that can catch and run. 
I wouldn't call him the RB1 until he has more than 3 carries. Mostert gashed the Jets for an 80 yard score, I'm not that impressed with him running behind 44 into the hole and coming out the other side for 55 yards. And BTW while we are talking about that 55 Yd Scamper let's discuss his option at the end to simply jog out of bounds(the right option) rather than try and take on two defenders and looking like a dolphin trapped in a net, he's gonna get hurt doing that. 

It's dynasty, so McKinnon isn't available. But my claims are in on Hasty. 

I deleted my claims for McKinnon in redraft late last night. Decided it was Kelley, Henderson, or wait and see who gets dropped. In that format I just  don't think I'll ever be comfortable starting McKinnon. If I were in a jam this week (I'm not) I may feel differently, so I decided to take a long game approach. Did the same (deleted claims) with Freeman and Davis. 

I'm reading Jeff Wilson is the one to own this week.

The San Francisco Chronicle believes Jeff Wilson “could see the most action” in Week 3 against the Giants.

With Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman sidelined, Wilson and Jerick McKinnon are next up for carries. The 49ers could also promote RB JaMycal Hasty from the practice squad. Wilson played just five snaps the first two weeks but may be the favorite for early down and red-zone work over McKinnon. In a matchup with a struggling Giants run defense, Wilson is a Week 3 streaming option.

Like with anything else, there will be varying opinions . . . this from the Mercury News:

McKINNON READY FOR MORE

Jerick McKinnon will get a bigger workload and presumably start while Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman recover from knee sprains, Coleman’s being worse and likely requiring a four-week stay on injured reserve, Shanahan said.

“I’m very confident in Jet and he’s done a great job in all his reps,” Shanahan said. “He’s excited for it and we’re excited to see him.”

Left tackle Trent Williams has seen McKinnon’s comeback up close since the offseason, when McKinnon trained at the Houston gym Williams owns with current Detroit Lions running back Adrian Peterson.

“It’s hard to even think he’s human sometimes after watching him,” Williams said. “I’ve never seen anybody work on the level with AP and bring the same intensity to the workout, until he brought Jet down. Jet works like a machine. That’s why I can’t imagine him on the field and not being a breakout player and every-down back.”

McKinnon has scored a touchdown in each of the 49ers’ first two games, and Williams made special mention how McKinnon turned a third-and-31, I-formation run into a 55-yard gain Sunday.
LINK

I'm reading Jeff Wilson is the one to own this week.

The San Francisco Chronicle believes Jeff Wilson “could see the most action” in Week 3 against the Giants.

With Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman sidelined, Wilson and Jerick McKinnon are next up for carries. The 49ers could also promote RB JaMycal Hasty from the practice squad. Wilson played just five snaps the first two weeks but may be the favorite for early down and red-zone work over McKinnon. In a matchup with a struggling Giants run defense, Wilson is a Week 3 streaming option.
All the volleyballs in the US are shouting for joy.

Users who are viewing this thread