What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (9 Viewers)

Hunt is a must start for sure, but I do think its possible/likely that Cleveland is a lot more pass heavy this week than normal without Chubb, and with the possible return of Landry. Hunt isn't going to suddenly be seeing a Derrick Henry workload. 

Hunt is a must start for sure, but I do think its possible/likely that Cleveland is a lot more pass heavy this week than normal without Chubb, and with the possible return of Landry. Hunt isn't going to suddenly be seeing a Derrick Henry workload. 
I'd be cool with last week's workload

Kareem Hunt (wrist, knee) is questionable for Week 6 against the Cardinals. 

Hunt finally got in a "limited" practice on Friday after Wednesday/Thursday DNPs, but he seems ready to carry the load in Nick Chubb's absence, who was officially declared out Friday. Hunt was already flirting with RB1 value, and will now be a locked-in RB1 vs. a Cardinals defense that hemorrhages production on the ground. Potential bad weather could also make for a run-friendly environment. The concern, of course, is Hunt's health. He was not on the Week 5 injury report, so this isn't something he had previously been playing through. Hybrid rookie slasher Demetric Felton and veteran third-down back D'Ernest Johnson will be the next men up behind Hunt. Neither are a particularly compelling FLEX play even with Hunt's injury issues. 

RELATED: 

D'Ernest Johnson

, Demetric Felton

Oct 15, 2021, 5:31 PM ET

IMO…I think

Johnson

is a more traditional running back and would assume early down work.

Felton

is raw and may be worked in on passing downs.
I share the same feeling, Yahoo has seen a spike in Felton adds, but I think they might be looking at overall depth chart/fantasy pulse for this year. Felton is listed at 3rd string and D'Ernest is 4th string FYI. Felton is more of a special teams player and may be valued more than the 'possibly true backup'. I speculate the 'true backup' D'Ernest fits the protypical 3 down back mold, he just has gotten little to no opportunity when Hunt and Chubb have been healthy so far. 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO…I think Johnson is a more traditional running back and would assume early down work. Felton is raw and may be worked in on passing downs.
Just to be clear I am talking about in a game that Hunt starts. I think Felton could see a Hunt like role (when Chubb is active). 

I tend to agree that if Hunt were out it would be Johnson doing the heavy lifting.

Not sure, but when I saw he was dealing with a wrist injury what are the chances he did it on his one handed push-up attempt celebration….

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Browns coach Kevin Stefanski "has a number of touches in mind" for Kareem Hunt (wrist, knee) in Week 6.

Stefanski added, "I don't want to kill Kareem." Hunt is dealing with multiple injuries but the Browns are already down Nick Chubb, so they won't have much choice but to let him handle the bulk of the running back touches. To this point, Pelissero added that he will still get more work than usual. Hunt is backed up by Demetric Felton and D'Ernest Johnson but neither project to have much fantasy value unless the touch count is far lower than expected. Hunt remains an RB1 candidate this week.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Oct 17, 2021, 8:23 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Kareem Hunt (calf) is expected to miss "several weeks" and could land on injured reserve. 

Rapoport added that Hunt -- who hurt his calf near the end of the Browns' Week 6 loss to Arizona -- could be sidelined for up to six weeks, putting his return sometime around Thanksgiving. The loss of Hunt in a season circling the drain is a outsized loss for the Browns, who were without Nick Chubb (calf) in their Week 6 blowout loss. Chubb, when fully healthy, could see an uptick in snaps and touches with Hunt sidelined. In Week 7 against Denver, D'Ernest Johnson and Demetric Felton could lead the Cleveland backfield. Felton is only viable in PPR formats. 

RELATED: 

Demetric Felton

, Nick Chubb

, D'Ernest Johnson

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 18, 2021, 12:01 PM ET

Who’s the pickup here? Johnson?  I seen too recall his being kind of meh last year when called upon, but IIRC it was a very small sample size. 

I've got 3 IR spots that are currently filled with CMC (picked 1.01), CEH (picked 3.01) and Jerry Jeudy (7.01).  So no place to stash Kareem Hunt (5.01).  Plus Alex Collins (from WW) is Q and Kadarius Toney (from WW) is Q.  And I have 3 guys on Bye this week with a short bench.  

Woe is me

Browns placed Kareem Hunt (calf) on injured reserve. 

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said Hunt, who was carted off the field during the Browns' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals, could miss up to six weeks. If Nick Chubb can come back from his own calf injury in the next week or two, he could see a big workload in the Cleveland backfield, including (potentially) the all-important pass-catching work. D'Ernest Johnson and Demetric Felton should split backfield duties if Chubb and Hunt miss the team's Week 7 game against the Broncos. 

RELATED: 

Nick Chubb

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter 

Oct 19, 2021, 12:22 PM ET

Read his timetable was 4-6 weeks.  It’s been 4.  Any chance he gets tapped to come back with Chubb in COVID protocol?

Read his timetable was 4-6 weeks.  It’s been 4.  Any chance he gets tapped to come back with Chubb in COVID protocol?

Sorry but I don't think so. Rapoport was the guy who gave the 4-6 recovery timeframe but I've noticed this year he's been way overly optimistic with a lot of injury timelines. For example when Chiefs put CEH on IR he tweeted out that they did it so that  CEH would not put to much pressure on himself to return early and they expected him to be ready when he was eligible to come off the IR.

Also when Stefanski was originally asked about the NFL report of 4-6 weeks he did say it was in the ballpark which is good but he was also quoted as saying Hunt would be out more then 3 games which obviously  I take to mean 4 games+. That 4th game is this week. So again for me week 11 was always the best case scenario and while we did just see Montgomery miss multiple weeks and return before his bye week it's still rare to see a RB miss 5-6 weeks with a soft tissue injury and return before the bye. So to me this makes week 12 shaky.

I hope I'm wrong because I own gobs of Hunt but were I own him I'm trying to look at my roster and make plans on idea he won't be available until week 14.

Browns will not activate RB Kareem Hunt (calf) from injured reserve for Week 10 against the Patriots.

Hunt's injury timeline likely puts him out of the lineup for several more weeks. But with Nick Chubb potentially missing Week 10 with Covid, the official word on Hunt leaves D'Ernest Johnson in line for another start. Johnson was spectacular in Week 7 against Denver and will be facing a Patriots team that opponents are running heavily against. Johnson looks like a high-end RB2 if Chubb is unable to play.

RELATED: 

D'Ernest Johnson

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Nov 10, 2021, 12:06 PM ET

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said Kareem Hunt (calf, IR) will not play in Week 11 but is "getting close."

Hunt will miss his fifth game with the calf injury that he suffered in Week 6. Stefanski's comment leaves plenty of room for interpretation but it wouldn't be surprising to see Hunt back on the field in early December. He has yet to be designed to return from injured reserve so the Browns can slow-play his recovery for now. D'Ernest Johnson will play a smaller version of his role with Nick Chubb resuming his normal duties once activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list. If Chubb and Demetric Felton aren't activated from the COVID list, Johnson would be in line for another RB1 outing.

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter

Nov 17, 2021, 1:11 PM ET

I'll get burned at the stake for saying it but... Hunt >> Chubb.

I think the team will keep Hunt over Chubb.  2023 = Hunts backfield.

As a runner, Chubb is in Henry category. As a receiver, Hunt is very good and better than Chubb. A lot can happen before 2023 when Chubb will still be signed and Hunt will be a FA.

As a runner, Chubb is in Henry category. As a receiver, Hunt is very good and better than Chubb. A lot can happen before 2023 when Chubb will still be signed and Hunt will be a FA.

And that is all that needs to be said.. they are in the same strata of runner, but Hunt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> in the passing game.

He is simply the greater threat.

I may be confused on the contracts but i thought they were both signed through 2022 (Chubb technically 2023 but his gaurantee/bonus runs out 2022).

And that is all that needs to be said.. they are in the same strata of runner, but Hunt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> in the passing game.

I may be confused on the contracts but i thought they were both signed through 2022 (Chubb technically 2023 but his gaurantee/bonus runs out 2022).
Crazy talk, burn at the stake! Chubb’s raw rushing stats dwarf Hunt’s in Cleveland and my perception is he’s near the top of the league in those advanced types of stats- yards after contact, elusiveness, tackles evaded etc. Hunt is a good runner. Chubb is on an entirely different level. Probably a couple levels above Hunt.

They are nowhere near in the same anything as rushers. One could easily argue Chubb is the best runner in the NFL. Hunt is a good, but not great runner. Hunt is a very good receiver, Chubb is an ok receiver. Hunt is absolutely not the greater threat, not by a longshot. 

Crazy talk, burn at the stake! Chubb’s raw rushing stats dwarf Hunt’s in Cleveland and my perception is he’s near the top of the league in those advanced types of stats- yards after contact, elusiveness, tackles evaded etc. Hunt is a good runner. Chubb is on an entirely different level. Probably a couple levels above Hunt.
Or what he said. 

You guys are forgetting about D'Ernest Johnson.  In the last 5 weeks, he has made Chubb and Hunt look like they are standing still.

Considering at the moment Chubb has a sizable dead money hit in 2023 after his new extension and Hunt isn’t under contract after 2022, stranger things have happened but this seems unlikely.

Considering at the moment Chubb has a sizable dead money hit in 2023 after his new extension and Hunt isn’t under contract after 2022, stranger things have happened but this seems unlikely.

Better yet for Hunt, get off the Browns and go be the lead back for another team.

Even easier way to overtake Chubb in fantasy.  :thumbup:  

Agreed - eye test says the same too. Watching Chubb do his work is like poetry in motion. Hunt's a run with your hair on fire type whose skills in the pass game should allow him to cash in one more relatively meaningful contract. I think Hunt's extension was intentionally structured to give the Browns an option going into his age 27 season and a thank you for your services when going into age 28. I think Chubb's extension was also intentionally structured to give the Browns an option going into his age 29 season and a thank you at age 30 - unlike most RB's in the game his style should age well.

I would not say better then Chubb, but more versatile and IMO in conversation for most versatile RB in the league. Both are great and I'm not throwing that word around lightly. Chubb is in conversation for best pure runner in the game and Hunt's got a rushing championship on his resume AND I'd put him in conversation for best third down RB in the league as he's both exceptional in pass pro and receiving.

Off the field while I think the fact that Hunt's a local kid who wants to play for Cleveland and is a good teammate it's still not close, from what I've gathered by comments people have made Chubb brings an A+ personality and demeanor with his game.

Chubb is the best pure runner in football.  Hunt has a ton of intangibles.  Great out of the backfield and almost unstoppable in the redzone.  Enough for both to eat.  

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said he is hopeful Kareem Hunt (calf, IR) will play in Week 12 against the Ravens.

He added that Hunt is expected to return to practice this week. Hunt has been sidelined for five games because of the calf issue and remains on injured reserve. Once he returns to practice, a 21-day window for him to be activated from injured reserve will open. Hunt should reclaim his role on passing downs with some rushing work sprinkled in once healthy. If he plays, he'll be a low-end RB2 versus the Ravens.

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Nov 22, 2021, 2:22 PM ET

Browns designated Kareem Hunt (calf/IR) to return.

This opens up Hunt's three-week window to resume practicing, though the Browns don't actually have to update his status on a daily basis. Kevin Stefanski on Monday said that he was "hopeful" that Hunt would play this week against Baltimore. Other than general writer reports on how Hunt is doing, the key date for that will be Saturday, which is when most players are reinstated to the active roster. Assuming Hunt is activated and isn't on any sort of snap count on return, he should gain back a hefty share of the Cleveland backfield and be on the RB2/3 borderline against the Ravens. 

Nov 24, 2021, 9:49 AM ET

Makes no sense for him to play before the bye unless he's 100% right now.  Bet he doesn't play.
I'm sure he will play if he's ready. The Browns are at the bottom of their division going against a division rival. They need this win in order to stay in contention for the division title. So the question is not whether he will ply, but rather how much. My concern is that the game is the late Sunday game. If he has a setback for any reason, you need to make sure you have someone you can plug in at the last minute, which I do not. I'm not sure I can take that risk this late in the FF season and may have to play Rhamondre Stevenson at my flex position instead. 

Kareem Hunt (calf, IR) said he expects to play Week 12 against the Ravens. 

"See how I feel during the week," Hunt said, "but I’m definitely thinking I’m going to play." Hunt was designated to return from injured reserve on Wednesday, and coach Kevin Stefanski has already expressed hope the running back would be ready to face the Ravens. It is possible Cleveland plays it safe with their bye coming up, but they also need Hunt with Baker Mayfield and the passing attack in disarray. Hunt will be back in FLEX consideration if he is able to suit up. 

Nov 24, 2021, 12:05 PM ET

Makes no sense for him to play before the bye unless he's 100% right now.  Bet he doesn't play.
My understanding is this game is the one he's had as his target date for at least 2-3 weeks. It really just depends on how the calf responds to practice.

The Browns with Hunt will make the call on how much he plays in week 12. Yes, there is a bye week 13. If I were management I would play him if cleared and he passes all the tests. I would want to win this game using the best possible game script to produce that result. I would also limit Hunt's usage if need be and go with game flow.

Personally I own Hunt in two leagues and he will most likely not crack the lineup in either as much as I would be giddy playing him if fully up to speed. I have luxury of waiting until week 14. I would say he nets 3-5 catches and 40-60 total yards and a .5 chance at a TD this week. He's good for 10-12 points with upside. Wouldn't surprise me to see him score a TD and get you 15-17 points either. 

Users who are viewing this thread