What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Khalil Herbert, CHI (2 Viewers)

He was out running the starter all season, and he has him returning kicks.

Like I said before, some of these coaches have no business being in the NFL.
“I gotta get our most explosive playmaker that’s not a qb onto the field…but I can’t bench a locker room favorite can I? I know! Kickoff returns!!” Idiot eberflus. This loser has the bears losing games when they’re scoring 30+- firable offense. Can’t wait to see what this doofus does when massive regression and or injury hits fields soon

If in dynasty, I'd invest in Ebner now if he's still available. He'll be a good handcuff now, and he'll be a good handcuff next year when Monty is on a new team.

“I gotta get our most explosive playmaker that’s not a qb onto the field…but I can’t bench a locker room favorite can I? I know! Kickoff returns!!” Idiot eberflus. This loser has the bears losing games when they’re scoring 30+- firable offense. Can’t wait to see what this doofus does when massive regression and or injury hits fields soon
Guy can’t block, thats why he wasn’t playing more.

Guy can’t block, thats why he wasn’t playing more.
This is a difficult concept for the fantasy hopefuls.

i guess there's not much reason to hold him in redraft at this point.
IR is a min of 4 weeks so he could be back right in time for playoffs and if Monty were to get hurt between now and then.............

Hip injury with no details. Best case, you might get him back just in time to face PHI and BUF in the first two rounds of the FF playoffs.

Seems droppable to me.

Correction: IR minimum is 4 games, not 4 weeks. Earliest return would be Week 16 (BUF.)

He does have @ DET Week 17 if you'd like him in your Championship lineup.

IR is a min of 4 weeks so he could be back right in time for playoffs and if Monty were to get hurt between now and then.............

Hip injury with no details. Best case, you might get him back just in time to face PHI and BUF in the first two rounds of the FF playoffs.

Seems droppable to me.

Correction: IR minimum is 4 games, not 4 weeks. Earliest return would be Week 16 (BUF.)

I was wondering about this. Thank you.

Seems droppable to me.

I was wondering about this. Thank you.

I wasn't sure so I looked up the actual rule.

670 The Score's Chris Emma reports Khalil Herbert (hip) could return to the Bears lineup in Week 16.​

Herbert has been on injured reserve since mid-November. David Montgomery has handled the bulk of the backfield touches in Herbert's absence, and could see his role reduced with Herbert's return. Available on 63 percent of waiver wires, Herbert should be claims this week in case he can suit up in Week 16 against the Bills. He's been incredibly efficient on the ground in 2022; no running back has a higher rush yards over expected per attempt than Herbert.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Audacy.com
Dec 13, 2022, 10:52 AM ET

670 The Score's Chris Emma reports Khalil Herbert (hip) could return to the Bears lineup in Week 16.​

Herbert has been on injured reserve since mid-November. David Montgomery has handled the bulk of the backfield touches in Herbert's absence, and could see his role reduced with Herbert's return. Available on 63 percent of waiver wires, Herbert should be claims this week in case he can suit up in Week 16 against the Bills. He's been incredibly efficient on the ground in 2022; no running back has a higher rush yards over expected per attempt than Herbert.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Audacy.com
Dec 13, 2022, 10:52 AM ET

picked him up last week to stick in an available IR slot

low expectations but you never know

Bears designated Khalil Herbert (hip) to return from injured reserve.​

Herbert was on pace for a 1,000-yard season prior to exiting in Week 10's matchup against the Lions. The second-year back has rushed 108 times for 643 yards and for touchdowns this season, and has outperformed David Montgomery in several efficiency metrics. The Bears will have 21 days to active Herbert to their active roster, but there's some belief that he could be activated as early as Week 16 against the Bills. Those in need of an added boost for the fantasy playoffs would be wise to stash Herbert prior to his return.
Dec 19, 2022, 2:25 PM ET

V Buffalo & @ Detroit aren't exactly great opportunities to shine in your fantasy playoffs.
Those aren't bad though, as Chicago will stay committed to the run regardless of the score.
I agree in principle but, Detroit in particular has been amazing against opposing RBs since week 9, and against very stiff competition.

You can argue that Chi ran for 258 & Buf ran for 164 but Fields accounted for 147 and Allen for 78 in those games.

Monty & Herbert went 19-94-0 and Singletary 14-72-0. Beyond Chi & BUF, over Detroit's 6-1 run A.Jones+Dillon 20-59-0, Saquon 15-22-0, Etienne 13-54-0, Dalvin 15-23-1, Zonovan 13-23-0. Those are San Francisco D numbers. I didn't include receiving numbers because Chi doesn't use Herbert in that role (6 targets in 10 games).

Because it's Detroit and not San Francisco we always anticipate the wheels will fall off, and I can't help but feel the same way but those are not pushover RBs they have stifled for 7 games and those numbers should not be ignored.

If Herbert was not in the lineup I could see starting Montgomery because, as he proved this week he is incredibly versatile.
But throw in Herbert and Fields stealing yards and opportunities...how can you start either of them with confidence?

Is anyone going to start Foreman or Hubbard against them with confidence this week? Not unless they are agonizing over end of the bench flex plays.

I'm not saying don't grab Herbert, I am considering dropping Gus for him but probably won't because...why bother? Barring injury neither of them will see my lineup.

Herbert coming off IR hurts my main FFPC dynasty team where I was enjoying stashing him til next year. now I’ll need to drop someone I’m hoping to keep through this off-season. :(

V Buffalo & @ Detroit aren't exactly great opportunities to shine in your fantasy playoffs.
Those aren't bad though, as Chicago will stay committed to the run regardless of the score.
I agree in principle but, Detroit in particular has been amazing against opposing RBs since week 9, and against very stiff competition.

You can argue that Chi ran for 258 & Buf ran for 164 but Fields accounted for 147 and Allen for 78 in those games.

Monty & Herbert went 19-94-0 and Singletary 14-72-0. Beyond Chi & BUF, over Detroit's 6-1 run A.Jones+Dillon 20-59-0, Saquon 15-22-0, Etienne 13-54-0, Dalvin 15-23-1, Zonovan 13-23-0. Those are San Francisco D numbers. I didn't include receiving numbers because Chi doesn't use Herbert in that role (6 targets in 10 games).

Because it's Detroit and not San Francisco we always anticipate the wheels will fall off, and I can't help but feel the same way but those are not pushover RBs they have stifled for 7 games and those numbers should not be ignored.

If Herbert was not in the lineup I could see starting Montgomery because, as he proved this week he is incredibly versatile.
But throw in Herbert and Fields stealing yards and opportunities...how can you start either of them with confidence?

Is anyone going to start Foreman or Hubbard against them with confidence this week? Not unless they are agonizing over end of the bench flex plays.

I'm not saying don't grab Herbert, I am considering dropping Gus for him but probably won't because...why bother? Barring injury neither of them will see my lineup.
I think the Bears are much more committed, and successful, running the ball than any of GB, NYG, Jax, Min, or NYJ. Its their entire identity, and that's only gotten stronger as they lose WRs by the week.

I certainly wouldn't lump Foreman/Hubbard and Monty/Herbert in the same boat. Bears running game is a ton better, sure Fields is a part of that, but he also increases the success rate because defenses have to (or should anyway) account for him. I'd be expecting Monty to be a solid RB2 and Herbert to be an appealing if boom/bust flex against both the Bills and Lions.

The one thing that might be an issue, is that I think with the Bears having little to play for, that they start looking for positives to end the season on, and the biggest one is Justin Fields needs just over 200 rushing yards to be the single season record holder at the position, so I think he'll probably be seeing 10-15 carries weekly these last 3 weeks, but that also is the Bears best way of moving the ball, so it likely increases TD chances for Monty/Herbert as it very much did for Monty against Philly.

I think the Bears are much more committed, and successful, running the ball than any of GB, NYG, Jax, Min, or NYJ. Its their entire identity, and that's only gotten stronger as they lose WRs by the week.
The Bears are capable of running on anyone at anytime. They put up 258 on the Lions 5 weeks ago.

But, as I pointed out, that distribution did not favor the RBs. And when you factor in a split between two RBs, however capable, it's an iffy prospect.

Foreman/Hubbard may not equate to Montgomery/Herbert but Jones/Dillon does and so does Montgomery/Herbert who the Lions had success against.

Having the running QB gives them an advantage as it opens up a lot more for the RBs, which is why Singletary had a decent outing and Monty/Herbert combined for a solid showing too.

Saquon & Dalvin probably Etienne? Those guys were getting all of the pie.

Just saying it is not a great prospect for a two down back just off IR to go into Detroit, where the offense averages 30+ per game and the rush D is playing as well as the best D's in the league.

Next week v Buffalo and that offense/defense combo is just a crap shoot for a two down guy like Herbert.

It always depends on the options but I have trouble seeing myself recommending Herbert often in the WDIS thread.

I'm curious, in a good way, to see where you land considering how much solid advice you offer in there.

Last edited:

Bears activated Khalil Herbert (hip) from injured reserve.​

Herbert will likely suit up this week against the Bills after a month on injured reserve. He was splitting backfield work with David Montgomery before his hip injury, proving the far more explosive, efficient backfield option for Chicago, though Montgomery remained the team's lead runner. Herbert, who leads all running backs this season in rush yards over expected per attempt, will be a 14-team flex option against the Bills. Chicago's commitment to the run means Montgomery and Herbert can both see double digit touches.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 20, 2022, 12:03 PM ET

Welp, Foreman to the Bears, that was fun while it lasted...

I don't really get this reaction. I have a healthy respect for Foreman, but given what this depth chart was and all of the pieces still to land in free agency and a deep rookie class, I think Homer and Foreman would represent the absolute best case scenario that any reasonable Herbert dynasty manager could hope for.

I still have a healthy level of fear that the Bears might spend a decent pick on a rookie RB. Prior to this signing, I would have said that they're a great candidate to move to the right spot for Bijan. Much less fear of anything like that happening after this signing. I'll be glum if there's a 2nd or 3rd round investment. I'm still prepared for 4th or 5th round competition, but between last year's Ebner selection, Homer, and this, I think there's a real good possibility that this is the backfield. This is an awesome opportunity for Herbert to make his case for a lead in this committee, and ultimately just be the lead back. If he can't put his stamp on this backfield, then there was nothing to get excited about in the first place.

Very encouraged Herbert manager here.

I think Homer and Foreman would represent the absolute best case scenario that any reasonable Herbert dynasty manager could hope for.
I’m not sure that’s true. The Foreman contract is pretty cheap so it doesn’t stop them from bringing in another back and he’s at least a threat to Herbert’s GL work. He’s a much better inside runner than Herbert.

I’m not saying it’s terrible because I do think Herbert is likely still the lead back - but this isn’t nothing.

I think the Foreman signing was pretty terrible for all him and Herbert, but especially Herbert. Homer should primarily handle the passing downs and it's going to leave Herbert splitting early down work with Foreman. On a team with a running QB who rarely throws to RB's there was just not room for the pie to keep being split.

In PPR points the entire RB group for the Bears last year put up 18.7. Sure the offense should be a little better, though arguably less talented at RB, but that pie needs to expand a whole lot to help out what should be a 3 man RBBC have anyone be viable.

And in PPR pure rushing numbers are like empty calories. Pass receptions along with the yardage and goal line usage are the money points, the easier points. I'm not saying Herbert is not a good third down or goal line back, but I am saying the team just signed two RB's who make Herbert the second best team on the team in those roles.

I only own him one place, got excited for a day. Feels like a roster drain now, don't want to give up on him, don't expect him to be very useful.

Seems like a wait and see situation - I wouldn’t get too excited or too distraught if I owned either Herbert or Foreman.

I think Homer and Foreman would represent the absolute best case scenario that any reasonable Herbert dynasty manager could hope for.
I’m not sure that’s true. The Foreman contract is pretty cheap so it doesn’t stop them from bringing in another back and he’s at least a threat to Herbert’s GL work. He’s a much better inside runner than Herbert.

I’m not saying it’s terrible because I do think Herbert is likely still the lead back - but this isn’t nothing.

I think anyone hoping for Herbert to be THE undisputed lead RB for the Bears next season was being really unrealistic. Any exercise in RB musical chairs should have stamped that idea out entirely.

Foreman is certainly something. He might end up being the top fantasy rb for the Bears next season. But I don't think the "who's the lead back" debate is appropriate for either of these guys. More than likely, they'll start the season with both getting plenty of run in a very evenly split backfield.

There was a real possibility that Herbert's stablemate was the return of Montgomery or an even more dynamic #1. The fact that Herbert might have a real chance to compete for the 1A in what looks like a backfield trending more towards a split than a 3-man+ committee is a positive development. At minimum, it sure looks like Herbert will have opportunity in 2023 to make his case for being the top RB in 2024. I don't know that he'll succeed, but Foreman, Homer ,and no rookies in the top 3 -4 rounds would be the best that any rational Herbert shareholder could have hoped for. We'll see if the Bears are content or add another piece in the draft Definitely not out of the woods yet.

Last edited:

I think anyone hoping for Herbert to be THE undisputed lead RB for the Bears next season was being really unrealistic. Any exercise in RB musical chairs should have stamped that idea out entirely.

Foreman is certainly something. He might end up being the top fantasy rb for the Bears next season. But I don't think the "who's the lead back" debate is appropriate for either of these guys. More than likely, they'll start the season with both getting plenty of run in a very evenly split backfield.

There was a real possibility that Herbert's stablemate was the return of Montgomery or an even more dynamic #1. The fact that Herbert might have a real chance to compete for the 1A in what looks like a backfield trending more towards a split than a 3-man+ committee is a positive development. At minimum, it sure looks like Herbert will have opportunity in 2023 to make his case for being the top RB in 2024. I don't know that he'll succeed, but Foreman, Homer ,and no rookies in the top 3 -4 rounds would be the best that any rational Herbert shareholder could have hoped for. We'll see if the Bears are content or add another piece in the draft Definitely not out of the woods yet.
Reality is Foreman is prob better than Montgomery. Not really sure how it's going to shake out but they do have same skillset. As a Herbert owner was hoping they'd draft maybe a 3rd round guy who would take a bit of backseat or bring in someone who was more of a receiving type back. Not shocked this happened but have to face the reality that this is not good for Herbert.

100%

I’m not sure I understand why foreman has put into question that Herbert isnt the back to own in this backfield for some of you guys. Foreman went to a situation where the competition is much stronger. So I have to imagine he would’ve preferred to stay in Carolina pre sanders. Fields is going to run and herbert >>> Hubbard. If Carolina thought as highly of foreman as you guys do they would’ve signed him for that money. I also believe Montgomery is a much better rb than foreman. Fields will remain a much bigger concern for me and foreman seems to be a handcuff. Herbert is no slouch… all that being said I personally feel like I value Montgomery(situation aside) less than most and foreman a bit More than most people do. Quite surprised to see some of these comments.

Foreman, Homer ,and no rookies in the top 3 -4 rounds would be the best that any rational Herbert shareholder could have hoped for.
Once again, I’m not sure this is true since Herbert is unlikely to see GL carries and 3rd down work now (which is where fantasy points are really earned). If that was the “best case scenario” for Herbert owners then I’m not sure why they would even want to roster him.

Like I said, it’s far from a deathknell but calling it the “best case scenario” sounds like whistling through the graveyard.

Foreman is good. There's no way him joining is a best case scenario for Herbert.

Looks a frustrating, unpredictable committee if you're playing lineup. Some decent targets for a best ball though.

I can understand the optimism for Herbert with Montgomery out of the way, but expectations may be too high in thinking that he's going to be a true workhorse. He may very well be the 1A in the running game, which would carry a lot of value. But have to think that Foreman will share at least some of the load. And in PPR leagues, I'm a bit concerned that there won't be many dumpoffs with Fields at QB.

I can understand the optimism for Herbert with Montgomery out of the way, but expectations may be too high in thinking that he's going to be a true workhorse. He may very well be the 1A in the running game, which would carry a lot of value. But have to think that Foreman will share at least some of the load. And in PPR leagues, I'm a bit concerned that there won't be many dumpoffs with Fields at QB.
Neither Herbert or Foreman are pass catching RB's, there will be at least another RB brought in for that role. With Fields in the mix, the pie looks like a 4 way split, Fields is the only one to get excited for.

Reality is Foreman is prob better than Montgomery.

Foreman isn't a slouch. It's a shame that he took the achilles injury early. To his credit, he's probably the closest thing to an RB success story returning from that. However, the NFL contracts were just doled would say that there's not much of a comparison between Foreman and Montgomery.

One healthy season in five surely factors into this. But this is also part of the reason why I think that there's still optimism for Herbert.

I wouldn't rule out Herbert being the passing down RB. He's just fine as a pass catcher. He needs to improve his blocking, but there is no reason he can't over the offseason. Its probably priority #1 for him.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say:
Foreman 55% carries and short yardage
Herbert 40% carries and passing work. and short yardage if Foreman goes down
Homer 5% carries and backup passing work option if Herbert fails at it

That's carries from RB, as obviously Fields will have a good share.

Foreman, Homer ,and no rookies in the top 3 -4 rounds would be the best that any rational Herbert shareholder could have hoped for.
Once again, I’m not sure this is true since Herbert is unlikely to see GL carries and 3rd down work now (which is where fantasy points are really earned). If that was the “best case scenario” for Herbert owners then I’m not sure why they would even want to roster him.

Like I said, it’s far from a deathknell but calling it the “best case scenario” sounds like whistling through the graveyard.

What was the plausible alternative to Foreman entering this mix that an Herbert manager should have been hoping for? I didn't realize that we were hoping for something significantly less than a 27 year old with one healthy season under his belt on a 1 year, 3M.

Maybe Zeke? We'll see what his 1 year contract looks like. Some of that will probably be paying for empty name value, but if he's as cooked as everyone has proclaimed, then I'm not sure how realistic that was. Fournette maybe?

I will walk back "absolute best case scenario", because that implies that I think Foreman sucks and was a bad signing, which he certainly isn't. I view this as the best case in a range of outcomes that 24 hours ago could have easily included Bijan, Gibbs, Charbonnet (depending on how you feel about him), maybe even trading for an Ekeler, or signing someone like Mixon if he became available, which maybe wouldn't have been so bad.

My hopes that they would just push Monty out the door and turn over the reigns of lead RB probably went out the door when Montgomery returned from injury and Herbert was promptly given 4 carries after running wild the previous two weeks.

This is the muck of what 2023 backfields are going to look like. As muddled as it is, this is what the opportunity for a meteoric rise of a 6th round NFL RB is going to look like. And yeah, the dream outcome of Herbert as an eventual fantasy starting RB in '23 is going to require a 27 year-old RB with an injury history to continue that injury history. If that's the only thing in the way of an opportunity for a big volume role as true a lead back, Herbert holders can probably consider this a promising development. Even without a Foreman injury, there should be enough opportunity for Herbert to make his case to be that guy in '24. Based on what he has been able to do in his first two seasons when given volume, I'll take that.

I will walk back "absolute best case scenario", because that implies that I think Foreman sucks and was a bad signing, which he certainly isn't.
That’s all I was arguing with. I clearly said it wasn’t a value killer addition for Herbert. I just think a “best case scenario” wouldn’t be a big hard running back that can be used effectively at the GL and to run clock. He would have been better off if they signed a similar back that’s in decline like Hunt or more of a depth back like Chase Edmonds.

^^^ Hunt perhaps, and yeah I probably would have preferred that to Foreman. However, the 2022 dropoff was reportedly pretty significant. Edmonds, Homer and calling it a day? I definitely wasn't hoping for anything that quiet.

To put it in context, I thought there was a real possibility that we might see the Bears make a clear proclamation that we really like Herbert as a backup, but nothing beyond that. The clear #2. Given the injury on the return team or being given peanuts the week Monty returns, hard not to consider this possibility.

I thought the more likely outcome was probably the lesser part of a split. With Foreman, maybe that's exactly what this is out of the gate. Homer surely mixes in on 3rd down. Hopefully it's just Homer and the Bears don't draft another weapon, which is a possibility. Whether you see Foreman/Herbert as a 50/50, 60/40 Foreman or think Herbert can lay claim to the 1A, it's probably nothing that you're excited to start in your week 1 fantasy lineup. At the end of the day, compared to the alternative of a Monty extension or the Bears getting more ambitious at the position, it's hard not to be okay with this.

I think the fantasy relevance (probably for both guys), is what happens if the other guy gets injured, opening up a real workhorse role, even with Homer/Ebner and shortcomings in the pass game.

If you were looking for Herbert to be a low-end fantasy RB2 or high end flex right away in week 1, Foreman bad.

If you are looking for Herbert's chance to have a window of low fantasy RB1 or high end RB2, Foreman.... probably not so bad. It was probably this angle that I was most bullish about for Herbert in terms of what's realistic, and what would be the most fantasy relevant in the event that things break his way.

Last edited:
uh, Bears are drafting Robinson there's simply no other way for them to go with that pick they got for trading down. they knew they could get Robinson at #9 that's why they dumped that bum Montgomery. There's not a snowball's chance in hell they go with Khalil as their starting RB. no way, no how. pains me as a Khalil owner but he aint the dude that's carrying the rock for Da Bears. That guy will be Bijan, the next great RB top 3 pick in any other year, and you get him at 9?? absolute steal.

uh, Bears are drafting Robinson there's simply no other way for them to go with that pick they got for trading down. they knew they could get Robinson at #9 that's why they dumped that bum Montgomery. There's not a snowball's chance in hell they go with Khalil as their starting RB. no way, no how. pains me as a Khalil owner but he aint the dude that's carrying the rock for Da Bears. That guy will be Bijan, the next great RB top 3 pick in any other year, and you get him at 9?? absolute steal.
I admire the confidence.

Bold take. That would certainly hurt me in all 3 dynasty leagues where I roster Herbert.

I just don't see this happening. The Bears don't need RB's. Herbert is fine. Coupled with Fields they have a good running attack. Bears need help in too many other positions to use a top 10 pick on RB.

Users who are viewing this thread