What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kyren Williams, LAR (1 Viewer)

If only he was a WR --
Was just about to bounce Kyren from my roster, but with Henderson just being released, may have to see this out for another week.

he has a third down role, regardless of who comes in off the street

With four (4!) wide receivers hurt I might have to Flex him (or James Cook)

I don’t expect his usage to increase much in the run game bc he has tiny bones
He just needs to drink his milk this week.

He`s the guy , they dont even like Cam, they couldnt trade him so keep him around for insurance .
Jump on the K.Williams express , some easy run defenses coming up:moneybag:
Not sure - seems like Cam has worked his way back into the mix even if not the guy.
i see that as easing Williams back in another week, now that they know hes ok they release Henderson and move Williams into the starting role with Akers the back up , IMO

He`s the guy , they dont even like Cam, they couldnt trade him so keep him around for insurance .
Jump on the K.Williams express , some easy run defenses coming up:moneybag:
Not sure - seems like Cam has worked his way back into the mix even if not the guy.
i see that as easing Williams back in another week, now that they know hes ok they release Henderson and move Williams into the starting role with Akers the back up , IMO
gosh I hope so.

Jourdan is as plugged in as anyone covering the Rams. I don’t have a subscription to The Athletic - if anyone does and can paraphrase her thoughts, would be most appreciated.
Jourdan Rodrigue
@JourdanRodrigue

Have mentioned before, including prior to start of season, that Rams hope for Kyren Williams when drafting him would be to at some point take over the Henderson role. Didn’t see an in-season cut coming, though.

Backstory​

Henderson has struggled to stay consistently healthy during his time in Los Angeles. But even when he hasn’t been injured, the Rams still clearly didn’t want to commit to making him a feature/lead running back. Instead, they have deployed him in a committee approach (over the last few years, with either Cam Akers or Sony Michel). Coach Sean McVay said Monday that Henderson’s carries were limited in Week 11 because he felt something in his knee before the game. – Rodrigue

Where does the Rams running game go from here?​

When the Rams traded up to draft Kyren Williams this spring, the sentiment behind the scenes is that he would take over Henderson’s role at some point. The staff is high on Williams, who was hurt through the first part of the season. Still, a mid-season cut of multiple starters (including Hollins) is a rarity in an unprecedented Rams season in the McVay era. – Rodrigue

Picked him up as an end of the bench stash vs James Cook who is still on waivers. I hope Kyren gets the garbage time role and he should be seeing some catches in a matchup where Chiefs can steamroll Rams. If this week is a dud I think I churn to start rostering multiple DST for playoff matchups. I'm unsure about the tendency of the Backup QB looking to RB though.

Anyone know about QB John Wolford? Hope he is a Matt Ryan type.

Got the most touches, but didn't do a lot with them. Terrible O...worth anything in redrafts?

Got the most touches, but didn't do a lot with them. Terrible O...worth anything in redrafts?
v KC:
Kyren: 38 snaps - 70%
Akers: 16 snaps - 30%

v NO
Kyren: 35 snaps - 55%
Akers: 25 snaps - 39%

I mean, he may not be worth much as the team sucks, but any time you get a RB who garners 14 opportunities and over 50% snap share he should probably be rostered. Particularly if they are also used in the passing game.

He's another Latavius, you don't want to start him but he's a solid emergency option.

v KC:
Kyren: 38 snaps - 70%
Akers: 16 snaps - 30%

v NO
Kyren: 35 snaps - 55%
Akers: 25 snaps - 39%

I mean, he may not be worth much as the team sucks, but any time you get a RB who garners 14 opportunities and over 50% snap share he should probably be rostered. Particularly if they are also used in the passing game.

He's another Latavius, you don't want to start him but he's a solid emergency option.
Kind of where I am. There sure doesn’t seem to be much fantasy value there without Stafford, Kupp and Robinson as surrounding pieces. But on the other hand, can’t ignore the uptick in usage and his pass catching role in what will likely be nothing but negative game scripts.

As for next year in keeper/dynasty leagues who knows what can happen. The Rams don’t have a lot of draft capital - not sure what their cap space will be either.

I wrote up earlier in the thread what I expected after watching him at ND his whole college career - he will play if nothing else because he loves pass protection blocking. It was the most obvious reason we all knew he’d play in the NFL.

He’s elusive, not fast (see noted 40 combine time). He has great hands and if he gets third down duties plus, it’s where I see him fitting best. He will never be an NFL bellcow, but he can certainly be a James White-like difference maker. Draft and hold accordingly relative to other options knowing that.

Malcolm Brown called up from the practice squad.

That's a bit of an eyebrow raiser.

Akers worked too much and it's a short week?

Hmmmmm.

(RotoWire) Williams rushed twice for seven yards in Monday's 24-12 loss to the Packers.
Analysis: Williams only took the field for four snaps in another forgettable performance for the rookie, while Cam Akers tallied 100 total yards of offense between his 15 touches. Any optimism for a Williams breakout during the latter half of the season has been dashed with Akers reclaiming his role as the lead back, and a Week 16 matchup against an imposing Denver defense will make it a tall task to trust Williams in fantasy lineups.

(RotoWire) Williams rushed twice for seven yards in Monday's 24-12 loss to the Packers.
Analysis: Williams only took the field for four snaps in another forgettable performance for the rookie, while Cam Akers tallied 100 total yards of offense between his 15 touches. Any optimism for a Williams breakout during the latter half of the season has been dashed with Akers reclaiming his role as the lead back, and a Week 16 matchup against an imposing Denver defense will make it a tall task to trust Williams in fantasy lineups.
I refuse to get into another thing with the Rams RBs. Already did that before and have a few shares of Kyren Williams that I may rid myself of very soon.

I refuse to get into another thing with the Rams RBs. Already did that before and have one share of Kyren Williams that I may rid myself of very soon. no
maybe the rams with draft some OL next year. :shrug:
Not sure what picks they have, but they sold their soul to the devil for that Super Bowl last year and they are in cap hell.

2023 NFL Draft

1st round - TRADED TO LIONS (Matthew Stafford)​

2nd round​

3rd round​

4th round - TRADED TO PATRIOTS (Sony Michel)​

5th round - TRADED TO BROWNS (Troy Hill)​

6th round​

6th round - FROM PACKERS (Corey Bojorquez)​

6th round - FROM TITANS (Robert Woods)​

7th round​

2024 NFL Draft​

1st round​

2nd round​

3rd round​

4th round​

5th round​

6th round​

6th round - FROM BRONCOS (Kenny Young)​

7th round - TRADED TO BRONCOS (Kenny Young)​

The Los Angeles Times' Gary Klein writes Kyren Williams was "sharing reps" with starter Cam Akers in Wednesday's OTA.

This probably doesn't qualify as a red alert headline, established backs are often managed early in the offseason and the reps don't mean a ton -- but it does speak highly of Kyren Williams' standing in the organization that he'd get these reps. It's possible that he turns into Los Angeles' third-down back this season, as Akers only has 35 targets in three seasons. Williams was phased out of the offense towards the end of last season.
SOURCE: LA Times
Jun 1, 2023, 1:14 PM ET

The Los Angeles Times' Gary Klein writes Kyren Williams was "sharing reps" with starter Cam Akers in Wednesday's OTA.

This probably doesn't qualify as a red alert headline, established backs are often managed early in the offseason and the reps don't mean a ton -- but it does speak highly of Kyren Williams' standing in the organization that he'd get these reps. It's possible that he turns into Los Angeles' third-down back this season, as Akers only has 35 targets in three seasons. Williams was phased out of the offense towards the end of last season.
SOURCE: LA Times
Jun 1, 2023, 1:14 PM ET
Meh. I’d be more worried about Zach Evans.

It's time to wake this thread up. Do people really believe in Cam Akers? Even if you do, there will have to be touches up for grabs.
If Akers falls back into the doghouse, or worse gets injured, there is 3 down potential here albeit in a likely not so good offense.

The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue reports second-year back Kyren Williams has been “outstanding in both the run and pass game in camp.”
“As a runner, Williams looks confident and concept-multiple, and he didn’t miss many opportunities when the ball was thrown his way,” Rodrigue reports. It continues a strong offseason for Williams, one where he was reportedly splitting reps with Cam Akers in minicamp. By most accounts, Akers is returning as the Rams’ unquestioned lead back, but coach Sean McVay has preferred a committee approach since Todd Gurley was let go. Williams is a name to keep on early-season watch lists.

Kyren Williams rushed 15 times for 52 yards and two touchdowns in the Rams’ Week 1 win over the Seahawks.

Williams was targeted twice but couldn’t reel in either pass. He nearly punched in his third score of the day on a run from seven yards out but was dragged down at the one-yard line. Cam Akers walked in an easy touchdown two plays later. After sitting next to no action as a rookie, Williams appears to have cemented himself as a member of the Rams’ backfield-by-committee. He handled work on passing downs in Week 1 and didn’t leave the field often when the LA made it to the red zone. A far more difficult matchup awaits him versus the 49ers next week, but Williams should at least be rostered in all formats.

- Rotoworld

No clue why I drafted Akers. Time to spend up for this dude who I held onto honestly all of last season and just forgot. 🤡

This really comes out of no where. Akers finished strong last year and now kyren comes out with way more snaps to start the game. Weird… not sure if I just missed it or not but was Akers even listed as rb1 on the official depth chart? I only know one thing about the rams rbs. I will be dropping all of them below adp for my rankings from here on out. Mcvay is a P.I.T.A.

I picked him up in round 20 in about 80% of my best ball leagues. The ignoring of this guy in drafts baffled me. People were taking handcuffs and players who had no shot of seeing the field.

I picked him up in round 20 in about 80% of my best ball leagues. The ignoring of this guy in drafts baffled me. People were taking handcuffs and players who had no shot of seeing the field.
I think a lot has to do with recency bias from last year. When Akers had his falling out last year and seemed to be on the way out, Kyren was mentioned as a guy with considerable promise by McVay himself. When Kyren returned from injury and was activated to the roster, he barely got any run. Most, including myself, just thought that he was only going to be bench depth at best, but things change I guess.

Kyren Williams’ 53 snaps led all Rams running backs in the team’s Week 1 win over the Seahawks.
Williams’ 53 snaps were almost twice as many as the 28 snaps Cam Akers saw in Week 1, and his 29 routes run easily topped Akers’ four. Akers was arguably the least efficient running back in the league on Sunday, totaling negative 41 yards over expected per NFL Next Gen Stats. Williams turned in a solid training camp, and was being hyped as the team’s top pass-catching back heading into the season. Williams saw just two targets in the team’s Week 1 win, but his overall efficiency and snap share suggest he could soon be operating as the Rams’ RB1. He’ll be a tough read in Week 2 against the 49ers, but Williams should be a priority add on waivers this week.

McVay is a weird dude. Not doubting his abilities as a coach. Akers got banned and reinstated out of the blue multiple times. Sony Michel was a good RB for them a few years ago and he just gave the role to Akers in the playoffs even though Akers wasnt healthy. Then last year after hearing about how much they love Kyren they never used him once healthy. I even remember a few random games Todd Gurley sat for no reason. Then even with Cooper Kupp before he became Cooper Kupp (although he was still a good WR) they started limiting his snaps and going with two TE sets instead. Hes an impossible coach to figure out. Ill never draft a Rams RB again and not sure I want to touch Kyren or keep Akers on my roster.

I am not much of an x's and o's guy, this is stolen from the internet:

If you’re scoring at home, Kyren Williams added another great pass pro rep to his highlight reel in week 1.
@Nate_Tice
featured it in his excellent Film Study YouTube series for the Athletic

First video is a play from Sunday, second video is from college. I heard that the Seahawks had zero sacks and zero knockdowns on Stafford Sunday. No idea how much Kyren factored into that, but if the coaches think he helps protect Stafford that could lead to being on the field a lot since they love to pass. Being on the field a lot tends to lead to more opportunities (again, not an x's and o's guy just making a cliched statement :lol: )

After week 2 against a top defense we should have a clearer picture of whether Kyren will be a low end flex/bye week guy or a legit fantasy RB starter.
Good luck reading McVay’s mind each week.

Last edited:
I am not much of an x's and o's guy, this is stolen from the internet:

If you’re scoring at home, Kyren Williams added another great pass pro rep to his highlight reel in week 1.
@Nate_Tice
featured it in his excellent Film Study YouTube series for the Athletic

First video is a play from Sunday, second video is from college. I heard that the Seahawks had zero sacks and zero knockdowns on Stafford Sunday. No idea how much Kyren factored into that, but if the coaches think he helps protect Stafford that could lead to being on the field a lot since they love to pass. Being on the field a lot tends to lead to more opportunities (again, not an x's and o's guy just making a cliched statement :lol: )

After week 2 against a top defense we should have a clearer picture of whether Kyren will be a low end flex/bye week guy or a legit fantasy RB starter.
Good luck reading McVey’s mind each week.
"mmm....this chicken noodle soup is delicious.....where's my hair gel?"

Users who are viewing this thread