What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (4 Viewers)

What scares me most about Penny is the lack of power to his game.  I just don't see him breaking tackles. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love the acceleration, breakaway speed, and the occasional killer jump cuts.  I'll be drafting him if he makes it to 7,8.  I just wonder if this glaring weakness makes him share duties?
He led the nation in YAC with 1,295 last year  and YAC average. That shows he has power. He may not be a tank, but he certainly is no weakling.

It should also tell you something about his level of competition.
How does the fact SDSU doesn't pass have to do with the level?

A team who runs as often as SDSU is going to churn out multiple 1,000 yard backs. The back up isn't rushing during garbage time. That goes to the 3rd, 4th and 5th RB. 

How does the fact SDSU doesn't pass have to do with the level?

A team who runs as often as SDSU is going to churn out multiple 1,000 yard backs. The back up isn't rushing during garbage time. That goes to the 3rd, 4th and 5th RB. 
It also could mean they are playing against some bad defenses.

Love this guy, fwiw: big, fast, fluid, and elusive. Good vision, could be a little better, but he's decisive so whatever crease he chooses will at least get hit with 220lbs downhill. 

Hopefully he goes in the early 2nd to NYG, Ind, or TB, which would make him the 1.02 in most formats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshall Faulk, LT2, David Johnson, Jay Ajayi, Kareem Hunt... I'm sorry, while its a true statement it means very little to me. He dominated. 
And Donnell Pumphrey dominated too - after all, he’s the all-time NCAA Division 1 FBS rushing leader.

How’s that working out for him?

And Donald Pumphrey dominated too - after all, he’s the all-time NCAA Division 1 FBS rushing leader.

How’s that working out for him?
Pumphrey looked awesome before putting pads on but didn't look good in limited pre season work then had a minor hamstring injury.  The eagles put him on ir to keep the roster spot. He was healthy by October, learned the offense and put on muscle mass.  He was about 195 as of early March and still working towards taking the sproles role.  Still has the potential to emerge as a third down or CoP back with touchdown potential, and an outside chance to earn more.  Whether that's with the eagles or not, or this year, I don't know. He's a guy to keep on your dynasty waiver radar or grab for nothing in a trade imo.

Well heck, have 1.04 in two leagues and was planning on him there in both.  This might draw too much attention though.

Took him 1.05, very happy with the landing spot. Now get some oline. 

Have 1.03/1.04 in another draft, may have more penny stocks. 

Rotoworld take:

Seahawks selected San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny with the No. 27 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Penny wasn't forecast as a first-round pick but has an impressive profile. Seattle has been in desperate need of improving its running game. Penny (5’11/220) emerged from Donnel Pumphrey’s shadow as a senior, logging a prolific 289/2,248/7.8/23 rushing line and graduating with a silly 7.49 YPC average and eight career return TDs, seven on kickoffs and one on a punt. In 2017, PFF College credited Penny with the most missed tackles forced (86) and runs of 15-plus yards (35) among draft-eligible backs. Penny ran 4.46 at the Combine for an exciting 92nd-percentile Speed Score. Penny needs work in the passing game – his blocking was inconsistent on college tape, and he never caught more than 19 passes in a season – but Penny offers workhorse potential as a faster version of Carlos Hyde.

Apr 26 - 11:08 PM

Dynasty Maverick‏ @DFF_Maverick 6m6 minutes ago

Penny to Seattle at 27 just absolutely blew up rookie drafts. No longer a mid to late 1st.

I like his situation BC it gives him a clear path to being a 3 down workhorse back but my gd that o line is putrid.   

Dont know what to think.  Interesting that the Seahawks viewed him higher than guice and Chubb. 

Can't block.  Doesn't catch passes.  Behind a terrible OL.  Coming from a college where all they do is run with 2 TE's and a FB on every play.  It's like drafting a QB from Texas Tech..stats are meaningless for these guys (RB's from SDSU and QB's TT).  Squarely put on my do not draft list.  Weak conference to boot.
:lmao:  see you next fall.

Feeling a little strange always being against the herd on Penny. Pre-draft, I was quietly gaga on Penny and eager to reach for him in dynasty. Now, I hate the Seattle landing spot, and think the uncertainty there will be overlooked by the masses who focus on a 1st round pick. Now, that's coming from a guy who owned 4 Seahawk RBs these past 2 seasons, and every one of them hyped, so I could be jaded  But I think there are some real questions about the Seahawks. That OL is brutal, and losing 1/2 of their defense, who knows what it will be like in Seattle? Clearly they are not getting OL/D help from their 1st rounder. I'd almost rather see him in Cleveland.

Feeling a little strange always being against the herd on Penny. Pre-draft, I was quietly gaga on Penny and eager to reach for him in dynasty. Now, I hate the Seattle landing spot, and think the uncertainty there will be overlooked by the masses who focus on a 1st round pick. Now, that's coming from a guy who owned 4 Seahawk RBs these past 2 seasons, and every one of them hyped, so I could be jaded  But I think there are some real questions about the Seahawks. That OL is brutal, and losing 1/2 of their defense, who knows what it will be like in Seattle? Clearly they are not getting OL/D help from their 1st rounder. I'd almost rather see him in Cleveland.
Eh, most seem to see this as a bad spot but I think it's pretty good.  Everyone that needed a running back this year has a bad O-line so not really much room for improvement there.  Seattle doesn't have much competition who has a coach that seems to prefer using one back in a game when he can find one he likes, who just spent more capital on Penny than he has on any RB in his NFL career.

“New Seahawks RB Rashaad Penny’s ADOT of 4.5 is impressive and indicates he was running more than just check down and screen routes. Penny was especially explosive when he was split out wide, tight, or in the slot; he led these backs with 11.7 Y/T on non-backfield targets.”

Carroll on RB Rashaad Penny: "Such an exciting player, so versatile, so dynamic, both running and passing game. Very gifted catching the ball and running routes  . . . Best part about this kid is he's very humble."

John Schneider said the Seahawks would have taken Rashaad Penny at No. 18. Also shared this tidbit: "A true rarity is that we had a team call us after we selected him to try to acquire him. I've never experienced that."

John Schneider said the Seahawks would have taken Rashaad Penny at No. 18. Also shared this tidbit: "A true rarity is that we had a team call us after we selected him to try to acquire him. I've never experienced that."
I wonder who tried to trade for him.

Eh, most seem to see this as a bad spot but I think it's pretty good.  Everyone that needed a running back this year has a bad O-line so not really much room for improvement there.  Seattle doesn't have much competition who has a coach that seems to prefer using one back in a game when he can find one he likes, who just spent more capital on Penny than he has on any RB in his NFL career.
At one time pff has a bottom 5 o-lineman and 3 or 4 were Seahawks. The teams looks like they are in free fall and they made a desperation move for the new Lynch to fix it. 

The defense is a dumpster fire too. It's the Wilson show imo. But then I thought Penny was highly overrated before the draft. I dont really get it. He runs decently fast in a straight line without much burst or wiggle.

Doesn't matter to me I suppose. Looks like he's easily the 1.02 and I'll never draft him there.

At one time pff has a bottom 5 o-lineman and 3 or 4 were Seahawks. The teams looks like they are in free fall and they made a desperation move for the new Lynch to fix it. 

The defense is a dumpster fire too. It's the Wilson show imo. But then I thought Penny was highly overrated before the draft. I dont really get it. He runs decently fast in a straight line without much burst or wiggle.

Doesn't matter to me I suppose. Looks like he's easily the 1.02 and I'll never draft him there.

Not so fast, sir.  Let's wait to see where Guice, Jones, and Chubb land before making such a bold proclamation.  He's not even clearly ahead of Michel at this point in time...

Penny's line in college was one of the best run blocking lines in the league according to Joe Hoka. Seattle has one of the worst lines in the NFL. I am worried for how this pick plats out short term. 

I was lukewarm on this pick. Seattle then drafts the best run blocking TE. A player projected as the #3 OL, a couple of OL free agents...and I see it as all coming together. I like the pick.

Both coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider referred to first-round pick Rashaad Penny as a "three-down back" after drafting him.

It's particularly notable because Penny wasn't a high-volume receiver at San Diego State and was inconsistent in pass protection. Schneider said the Seahawks loved Penny so much they nearly drafted him at No. 18, but were able to find a trade partner and dip to No. 27, where they selected Penny. Schneider and Carroll did say Penny will have to iron out his blocking ups and downs, but Penny is markered in as Seattle's new bellcow.

Source: Scott Barrett on Twitter 

Apr 30 - 4:03 PM

Users who are viewing this thread