What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (1 Viewer)

It is there...scroll up. Just one play.
1 play =/= "one of the least disciplined runners in the game".

There are a lot of runners in the game, and Jones has a large body of work. I'm just saying that's a hugely hyperbolic statement. You can find bad plays by any RB - Taylor, Mixon, CMC - take the top 10 RB in football, and you can fine bad play. I'm not convinced he's remotely close to one of the least disciplined runners in the game. 

That's the point. 

I wouldn't say RoJo is one of the least disciplined runners in the game -- that's Dr. Octopus -- but Jones had a terrible year last year and there was video evidence of it. I remember watching that game and getting a real sinking feeling in my stomach that I had traded Chase Edmonds away for him. Ooooof. And gave a third in the process. 
Ouch. 

Yeah - I would also like to make it clear that I a not "carrying Jones' water" in here - I'm just trying to be fair to the dude. There's a lot of perception and not always corresponding reality about RJ. 

All I'm personally hoping for out of Jones is that he has a few good games early so I can deal him to a contender for a 2023 2nd so I can continue to rebuild. 

I am not a Ronald Jones cheerleader. I just think he's a much better RB than he gets credit for. 

And yes - he absolutely had a terrible year in TB. Some of that is Jones, and maybe some of that is being frustrated by Arians, playing like every time he touches the ball could be his last. It's a difficult environment for a player, and IMO it's bad coaching. 

Oh well. If you're not making bad trades, you're not making enough trades, as Adam Harstad would say. 
Ha! Yeah - I tell myself this all the time. I second guess my deals often. Really hoping my Pittman for ETN deal doesn't bust. Pittman getting all kinds of love this year - hopefully by 2023 that one isn't blowing up in my face. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Ha! Yeah - I tell myself this all the time. I second guess my deals often. Really hoping my Pittman for ETN deal doesn't bust. Pittman getting all kinds of love this year - hopefully by 2023 that one isn't blowing up in my face. 
OT but that's a good trade. I got Pittman everywhere I could last year, and it obviously paid off. That said, I think he's going a round too early for me this year. Although I'm a bit in disbelief of round 3 as a whole.

Dr. Octopus said:
Well to be fair, it's not like CEH has looked good. Jones however is one of the least disciplined runners in the game and is a complete zero in the passing game.
0 on special teams too. Marginal one trick ponies rarely survive at the most churned position. 

I dealt Pittman and got ETN tho. 
Exactly. That’s a good trade. Pittman will be a 4th rounder next year and ETN will be a 2nd rounder. I’m getting ETN everywhere I can this year (if he makes it to the mid 4th), and punting on Pittman in the 3rd. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. That’s a good trade. Pittman will be a 4th rounder next year and ETN will be a 2nd rounder. I’m getting ETN everywhere I can this year (if he makes it to the mid 4th), and punting on Pittman in the 3rd. 
Ah - yeah, I think I agree, though I am very high on Pittman as well. I’m just not sold on Matty Ice making him a star. We’ll see how run-heavy the z colts are.

I do love ETN’s potential in the passing game - I hope he gets enough rushing attempts to prove you right here.

I dealt Pittman and got ETN tho. 
Don’t be sad for me @nittanylion - I like the deal. I’m in a complete rebuild and was receiver-heavy. I have 6x 1sts next year including likely 1-4. 

Having a RB helped take some pressure off and lends flexibility to my draft. Had I not made the deal I might have been pigeon-holed into taking Robinson/Gibbs, and now I can take JSN or Boutte, or maybe both depending how the draft breaks. 

There was some strategy to it. And IMO, ETN had a legit chance to be a more valuable asset than Pittman, in part due to positional rarity. 

Save your tears for worse deals. ;)  

We went thru this in CEH thread. We're 1.5 months away from seeing what happens. Maybe they co-exist! 
I said as much there. They bring different things to the table. IMO CEH & RJ have completely different skill sets. It’s the McKinnon signing that would worry me if I had CEH.

Time will tell. I’d be shocked if Jones didn’t make the 53. 

0 on special teams too. Marginal one trick ponies rarely survive at the most churned position. 
I’d be surprised for sure if Jones doesn’t make the team but not totally shocked. I could see a guy like Derek Gore taking the “power back” role from him or I could see Reid deciding to go with a backfield of smaller/quicker pass catchers (like the one listed in the article rock shared) - and just use the FB for short yardage Carrie’s.

I could also see using JJSS in a Deebo type role on some short yardage situations.

I’d be surprised for sure if Jones doesn’t make the team but not totally shocked. I could see a guy like Derek Gore taking the “power back” role from him or I could see Reid deciding to go with a backfield of smaller/quicker pass catchers (like the one listed in the article rock shared) - and just use the FB for short yardage Carrie’s.

I could also see using JJSS in a Deebo type role on some short yardage situations.
I'd be surprised too. He is the best pure runner on the team. But there's more to the position and things like special teams that +/- ones value. 

JJ is slower. That makes mirroring Deebo a problem. Deebo has special quick twitch DNA. He just pops when he has the ball in his hand. JJ lumbers. I'd love to see JuJu stay healthy and play bully ball. 

If they did use someone in a role like that, I think it'd be more likely to be Skyy Moore, as he's faster, more elusive, and its an easy way to get him the ball. 

They experimented with some direct snaps to Kelce in some short yardage situations last season, with mixed results. He did have a short yardage TD run though. 

If they did use someone in a role like that, I think it'd be more likely to be Skyy Moore, as he's faster, more elusive, and its an easy way to get him the ball. 

They experimented with some direct snaps to Kelce in some short yardage situations last season, with mixed results. He did have a short yardage TD run though. 
I was going to mention him as well - but at his age and after losing Hill, I'm not sure they want to keep risking him taking those beatings. 

JJ is slower. That makes mirroring Deebo a problem. Deebo has special quick twitch DNA. He just pops when he has the ball in his hand. JJ lumbers. I'd love to see JuJu stay healthy and play bully ball. 
Agreed. I see no similarities to Deebo in terms of quickness or YAC. Deebo is special after the catch, while JJSS often goes down like a sack of potatoes. I recall a ton of 1-3 yard catches for him where he’d make the catch go down on 1st touch. (It was glorious for PPR though. lol)

They’re about the same size/weight (JJSS is an inch taller) but they are very different in terms of athleticism. 

Gore could be a legit threat to Jones. It’s certainly possible. And there’s a lot to like about rookie Isiah Pacheco, reportedly. He’s crazy fast, and he’s over 200 lbs. just a little bowling ball out there. This is from a day or 2 ago, and his good showing might also be a threat to RJones:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2022/7/21/23273035/getting-to-know-chiefs-rookie-running-back-isiah-pacheco

That all said, I’d still be surprised if Jones didn’t make the team.

Not like 750K is a lot of $ to lose (that’s his guaranteed), but they made it a priority to go out and get him, reportedly for a specific role that they were missing.

Training camp should be interesting. 

they also use Hardman like that pretty often. He’s seemingly the preferred WR screen guy, and sometimes runs sweeps/reverses. With Hill gone, I assumed a lot of those WR runs would go to Hardman. 

they also use Hardman like that pretty often. He’s seemingly the preferred WR screen guy, and sometimes runs sweeps/reverses. With Hill gone, I assumed a lot of those WR runs would go to Hardman. 
Fingers freakin crossed

signed,

Hardman Owner in 1 dynasty league where I’d love him to become The Guy in KC

Fingers freakin crossed

signed,

Hardman Owner in 1 dynasty league where I’d love him to become The Guy in KC
I wouldn’t hold my breath on him becoming “the guy” - I feel like after Hill’s departure there isn’t going to be a “the guy”, but more of a “bunch a guys” divvying up that pie.

But his usage should increase. 

I wouldn’t hold my breath on him becoming “the guy” - I feel like after Hill’s departure there isn’t going to be a “the guy”, but more of a “bunch a guys” divvying up that pie.

But his usage should increase. 
If I’m gonna dream about my WR5, I might as well dream big. ;)  

but, yeah, I know where I’m at with him 

So this guys reasoning is the RB(McKinnon) they waited months to sign and finally gave vet minimum with not a penny guaranteed is going to make the team over the guy who for sure did not sign a big time contract but was signed far earlier and given $750K guaranteed?

That makes no sense. For sure $750K guarantee does not make you a roster lock but without camps, preseason, something along the lines of a valid reason it makes no sense to project the back they clearly prioritized more is the one most likely to get cut.

Speaking of Jones, if anyone can ever find details of his $3.5M in incentives please share. I could for example find JuJu's incentives quite easily but can't find a single credible thing on ROJO's.

So this guys reasoning is the RB(McKinnon) they waited months to sign and finally gave vet minimum with not a penny guaranteed is going to make the team over the guy who for sure did not sign a big time contract but was signed far earlier and given $750K guaranteed?

That makes no sense. For sure $750K guarantee does not make you a roster lock but without camps, preseason, something along the lines of a valid reason it makes no sense to project the back they clearly prioritized more is the one most likely to get cut.
not to mention McKinnon’s age and injury history. It would be really weird if that came to pass. 

Speaking of Jones, if anyone can ever find details of his $3.5M in incentives please share. I could for example find JuJu's incentives quite easily but can't find a single credible thing on ROJO's.
Every blurb mentions incentives (I’d not seen the 3.5M number before) but I also have not been able to find specific details. 

I don't find the roster projections very useful, but If I owned Ronald Jones I would hope to be on the other side the projection,

OT but that's a good trade. I got Pittman everywhere I could last year, and it obviously paid off. That said, I think he's going a round too early for me this year. Although I'm a bit in disbelief of round 3 as a whole.
Pittman feels like the Antonio Gibson of this year. He’s the hot guy on any podcast you listen too. I agree he is going a round too early.

Pittman feels like the Antonio Gibson of this year. He’s the hot guy on any podcast you listen too. I agree he is going a round too early.
I think the thought process is that Matty Ice tends to pepper his WR1.

but that’s back when Matty Ice could throw deep with accuracy. I’m not convinced he’s the same QB.

time will tell. 

Seems hard to think that the guy they made a FA priority wouldn't make the team.

Heck, maybe CEH is the odd man out.  I'd rather have Gore.

fwiw.....McKinnon looked really good down the stretch last year....probably their best back....lot of burst compared to others on the roster....I think Reid likes him some McKinnon and I  expect him to make the roster...

fwiw.....McKinnon looked really good down the stretch last year....probably their best back....lot of burst compared to others on the roster....I think Reid likes him some McKinnon and I  expect him to make the roster...
Only challenge with Jet is he's a bit like Billy Baroo. You can only pull him out on occasion as you might break him.

The Athletic's Nate Taylor, appearing on KCSN Daily, believes that Ronald Jones needs to have a strong preseason and could be a trade candidate.

Taylor also implied that Jones could be an outright cut if he does not have a good preseason. The pressure on Jones' roster spot doesn't appear to be stemming from a poor camp from the 25-year-old. Instead, it's the result of seventh-round rookie Isiah Pacheco having a stellar summer, whom Taylor described as the "true star" of camp. Pacheco, who is in line to be the starting kick returner, would fill a similar downhill role in the backfield as Jones, potentially making the veteran back expendable. Jones' ADP has dropped precipitously over the last week. In managed leagues, he remains in play as a dart throw, but he could burn a hole in best ball rosters.
RELATED:
SOURCE: KC Sports Network
Aug 11, 2022, 10:07 AM ET

The Athletic's Nate Taylor, appearing on KCSN Daily, believes that Ronald Jones needs to have a strong preseason and could be a trade candidate.

Taylor also implied that Jones could be an outright cut if he does not have a good preseason. The pressure on Jones' roster spot doesn't appear to be stemming from a poor camp from the 25-year-old. Instead, it's the result of seventh-round rookie Isiah Pacheco having a stellar summer, whom Taylor described as the "true star" of camp. Pacheco, who is in line to be the starting kick returner, would fill a similar downhill role in the backfield as Jones, potentially making the veteran back expendable. Jones' ADP has dropped precipitously over the last week. In managed leagues, he remains in play as a dart throw, but he could burn a hole in best ball rosters.
RELATED:

Good luck trying to trade him. This would be the third coaching staff that has pushed him to the side - eventually people will realize he just isn't very good.

This all still seems very speculative. That said, I’m super glad I was able to grab Pacheco in the dynasty league I have Jones. At this point I’m almost hoping KC trades him.

I still think he’s their best pure runner between the tackles, which is something they have sorely missed. It’s going to be an interesting preseason to watch for sure.

Last edited:

RELATED:

Good luck trying to trade him. This would be the third coaching staff that has pushed him to the side - eventually people will realize he just isn't very good.
You've said this many times about coaching staffs pushing him aside but I don't agree with that.

The first staff only had him his rookie year when he was not ready. That's not pushing him aside.

The second staff did demote but they also refused to the Ravens trade offer near the deadline last year. That's the opposite of pushing him to the side.

The current and third staff the story has not been wrote but the report by Nate Taylor is that it has nothing do with him but the play of Pacheco.

But I do agree this is bad for his value and I'm ready to take the L on thinking he'd lead the team in carries. And I got wind of this over a week ago and tried to trade him in a league but could not fetch a third.

RELATED:

The first staff only had him his rookie year when he was not ready. That's not pushing him aside.

He was a second round rookie pick which usually means the team has plans for that RB, however he performed so poorly when they used him they stopped using him?

If you're not willing to admit that Arians pushed him aside (just because they didn't trade him) then I think we'll just seriously disagree on that one.

I don't know if Jones simply can't play ST, but he's logged 98 career snaps on ST in his career. 6 since his rookie year. Always feels like situations like this come down to versatility and while I would tap the brakes on Pacheko hype, the fact that McKinnon/Pacheko have this ability doesn't bode well IMO for Jones w/KC.

Rojo. Nojo. Mojo.

That's about all I'll say about that. Man, do my RB trades ever suck. Want to fade an RB? Look at my roster. Pump an RB? Check out who I've traded.

It's all so schlooey.

Meanwhile, PlayerProfiler had this neat opinion about another of those KC backs, CEH. "Clyde Edwards-Helaire is a CFL back who is only in the league because of that first-round sunk cost."

Now that's harsh.

Dynasty league ... Middle of round 2 of a 2 round dynasty rookie draft. I have no needs. If I draft a play, I would drop RoJo. Do I drop RoJo for a guy like Albert O, Pickett (have Mahomes and Hurts), Bell, Robinson, or Allgeier? Or should I hang onto RoJo and trade this 2nd Round Pick for a 2nd Round Pick in 2023?

Dynasty league ... Middle of round 2 of a 2 round dynasty rookie draft. I have no needs. If I draft a play, I would drop RoJo. Do I drop RoJo for a guy like Albert O, Pickett (have Mahomes and Hurts), Bell, Robinson, or Allgeier? Or should I hang onto RoJo and trade this 2nd Round Pick for a 2nd Round Pick in 2023?
Without seeing your roster and knowing the league format/ lineup/ etc. it's hard for anyone to really say much. More or less a question for the assistant coach forum though.

Either your team is stacked or you have really shallow rosters for dynasty. In which case, maybe rolling the pick or using it to upgrade elsewhere makes sense if you're really set. Rolling the pick over is a nifty way to stash value.

What about trading RoJo and the pick for another RB with a little better job security...

Without knowing context, I would swap RoJo for Albert O in a NY minute.

But like I said, I don’t know your team, it’s needs, or how valuable TEs are in your format. I just think you should drop RoJo for any player who’s value is higher.

That all said, it’s simply not possible to properly gauge RoJo’s value until we know how the KC roster shakes out.

It’s still relatively early in the preseason and such a drop could come back to bite you if RoJo becomes KC’s preferred option between the tackles and in short yardage. That’s still very much on the spectrum of outcomes here.

all we have is beat writer speculation. It’s hardly an exact science.

Last edited:
Rojo. Nojo. Mojo.

That's about all I'll say about that. Man, do my RB trades ever suck. Want to fade an RB? Look at my roster. Pump an RB? Check out who I've traded.

It's all so schlooey.

Meanwhile, PlayerProfiler had this neat opinion about another of those KC backs, CEH. "Clyde Edwards-Helaire is a CFL back who is only in the league because of that first-round sunk cost."

Now that's harsh.
My attitude was always, if McKinnon looks that good in KC, CEH cannot be any good

I think we know what Rojo is at this point. I would rather have the hope of Robinson, Bell or Algeier......

Thanks. I plan on dropping Rojo. Standard scoring, no ppr.

I have McCaffrey Chubb AJones Montgomery Herbert Hunt Hubbard at RB. Kelce, Goedart, Kmet at TE. Higgins, Hopkins, Dionte Johnson, Aiyuk, and Hollywood at WR.

Alec Pierce, WRobinson or Albert O is who I will choose between for my final roster spot.

Without knowing context, I would swap RoJo for Albert O in a NY minute.

But like I said, I don’t know your team, it’s needs, or how valuable TEs are in your format. I just think you should drop RoJo for any player who’s value is higher.

That all said, it’s simply not possible to properly gauge RoJo’s value until we know how the KC roster shakes out.

It’s still relatively early in the preseason and such a drop could come back to bite you if RoJo becomes KC’s preferred option between the tackles and in short yardage. That’s still very much on the spectrum of outcomes here.

all we have is best writer speculation. It’s hardly an exact science.
I’m not a fan of Jones, obviously, but I wouldn’t drop him now. He surely has a path to value.

Yikes

I’d feel anything but comfortable if I was touting RJ as the guy to own in KC. I don’t care for him, but even I’m surprised how this is going.

Didn't enter the game until the 3Q yesterday. Stick a fork in him.
Yup. So happy I was able to land Pacheco in the 1 league I roster him.

I’m curious as to where he’ll end up. Could create some last minute chaos on the FF landscape if he becomes a RBBC guy on a team that was thought to have a feature back.

Users who are viewing this thread