What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tony Pollard, TEN (3 Viewers)

For sure - last year he was statistically among the most explosive RBs, now he's among the least explosive. It's baffling.
It's not just statistically though, he was visually much more explosive last year. Now he looks more like EZE that he does 2022 Pollard.

For sure - last year he was statistically among the most explosive RBs, now he's among the least explosive. It's baffling.
It's not just statistically though, he was visually much more explosive last year. Now he looks more like EZE that he does 2022 Pollard.
I agree with that. The broken leg must be a bigger factor than anyone thought. Have to think the team realizes it and may be why they’re curtailing his involvement.

Didn't Pollard have a TD negated by penalty?

Seems like an obvious buy low.

Now that PHI run D is over with there are many beatable matchups coming.

Going to try and dangle Mostert plus other to get him.

As a Mostert and Pollard owner, I would rather have Moster even with the rookie sensation coming back for Miami soon.

Surprised and dissapointed. I thought he'd be a clear top 5 back. He's had 2 RB1 finishes so far this season. 4 of his last 5 games, he's been RB26 or worse. It's been a tough part of the schedule, but for where he was drafted--he's basically a flex play at best.

The schedule does soften up. NYG, CAR, Wash, Seattle for the next 4. He might have some huge weeks and turn things around. But through 9 weeks (1/2 the season), he's basically a dud.

As a Mostert and Pollard owner, I would rather have Moster even with the rookie sensation coming back for Miami soon.
Interesting.

Mostert has a bye this week and than Achane is back (i'd think). The other troubling thing about Mostert is Miami's schedule. Starting week 12, Miami will run into the NYJ twice, TN run D, DAL, and BALT. The fantasy playoff schedule is terrible.

Outside of another PHI D matchup in week 14, Dallas schedule looks pretty sweet. Could be a strong second half for Pollard and there is no ambiguity here on who is the #1 RB (unlike Miami).

So you'd take Mostert straight up for Pollard? I think I'd do that in a heartbeat.

A softer schedule sounds good in theory, but we know that schedules don't always turn out as planned. Could also just go pass happy the rest of the way, with little dedication to the run game.

A softer schedule sounds good in theory, but we know that schedules don't always turn out as planned. Could also just go pass happy the rest of the way, with little dedication to the run game.
Yup

A leading candidate for bust of the year. Even Dowdle is outperforming him and this looks like an RBBC going forward.

I thought he was going to be a fantastic RB2 for me (keeper league). Now I'm not even sure I can keep starting him.

I thought he was going to be a fantastic RB2 for me (keeper league). Now I'm not even sure I can keep starting him.
Depends on one’s other options, but I don’t think he’s startable any more. Doesn’t catch passes despite them being very pass heavy and now looks like Dowdle will be sharing the rushing load.

With him becoming a UFA at the end of the season, what does next year look like? Factoring in Rico (although he's a RFA as well)

I swear it’s like they’ll do whatever they can to keep the ball out of his hands inside the red zone. The only run play I can recall inside the 10 yesterday for Pollard was when Dak audibled to the run on 4th down at the goal line after they had called 3 straight passes.

I swear it’s like they’ll do whatever they can to keep the ball out of his hands inside the red zone. The only run play I can recall inside the 10 yesterday for Pollard was when Dak audibled to the run on 4th down at the goal line after they had called 3 straight passes.
The play calling in the RZ has been trash all season

The play calling in the RZ has been trash all season
McCarthy did the same thing in GB. He loves passing in the red zone.

Stick a fork in Pollard. This was the perfect game script for him to get back on track. Huge early lead and still just put up pedestrian stats. Maybe the injury he suffered in the playoffs was worse than we thought. He just doesnt seems to have the same explosiveness as last year.

Stick a fork in Pollard. This was the perfect game script for him to get back on track. Huge early lead and still just put up pedestrian stats. Maybe the injury he suffered in the playoffs was worse than we thought. He just doesnt seems to have the same explosiveness as last year.
I think this is fair. In this type of game, you would think in this game script Pollard should have had 20-25 carries and hopefully 100+ yards from scrimmage. It's seeming more and more clear that the coaching staff doesn't trust Pollard to carry the load - whether that's due to injury is anyone's guess but he's clearly not the same explosive player he used to be. Schottenheimer is traditionally a run heavy OC, so the shift to a pass heavy approach with Dak/CeeDee and more work going to Dowdle speaks volumes about Pollard.

I think the play calling is horrible. Still waiting for easy screens to get him involved early. Too many runs right up the middle into defenders. Horrible.

Still tempted to buy low.

Pollard seems like the guy this year who kills their owners in the regular season only to see him go off during the fantasy playoffs (that they don't enjoy making because of him).

That was definitely a concern for me drafting him going into the season. Pretty bad injury late in the season and it was all sunshine and unicorns come draft time. Seems like ever since ADP came back from his ACL later in the season and dominated the next year that the expectation is "they will be good to go".

But yeah, looks likes a much less dynamic player this year

If Brandin Cooks has a bigger role moving forward, Pollard will take another hit. Cooks is a very good receiver and hasn't be utilized all season until yesterday. I know it was the Giants and a total blowout, but still, Cooks should have a much bigger role than he has had. Plus the way Lamb is playing, Pollards role is shrinking

That was definitely a concern for me drafting him going into the season. Pretty bad injury late in the season and it was all sunshine and unicorns come draft time. Seems like ever since ADP came back from his ACL later in the season and dominated the next year that the expectation is "they will be good to go".

This is not an apples to apples comparison. He broke his fibula and had a surgery to his ankle. This was the same surgery that Tua and Hurts had in college. Both of them returned to play in less than 2 months. This was not nearly as severe as an ACL injury. Whatever the issue is, I doubt it is related to his ankle injury from last year.

If Brandin Cooks has a bigger role moving forward, Pollard will take another hit. Cooks is a very good receiver and hasn't be utilized all season until yesterday. I know it was the Giants and a total blowout, but still, Cooks should have a much bigger role than he has had. Plus the way Lamb is playing, Pollards role is shrinking
Shoot, Cooks might even look better at RB right now .. Pollard has turned into a plodder smh

Reading these posts has me thinking twice about buying low.

Was thinking of offering Mostert in a deal with Achane coming back.

Curious...what would Pollard owners think of a direct swap for Mostert?

Definitely .. I’d take Mostert in that offense any day even with Achane.
Wow.

Pollard has a couple of really nice matchups -- @CAR, WASH. CAR is especially putrid.

Seems like Dowdle has Pollard's envious role from last year. After he gets beat up slamming it in the middle, Dowdle comes in and shows explosiveness. I'd think that if roles were reversed, Dowdle would look like crap as well.

Wow.

Pollard has a couple of really nice matchups -- @CAR, WASH. CAR is especially putrid.

Seems like Dowdle has Pollard's envious role from last year. After he gets beat up slamming it in the middle, Dowdle comes in and shows explosiveness. I'd think that if roles were reversed, Dowdle would look like crap as well.

Well, that's how it works Zeke. Sorry.

This is not an apples to apples comparison. He broke his fibula and had a surgery to his ankle. This was the same surgery that Tua and Hurts had in college. Both of them returned to play in less than 2 months. This was not nearly as severe as an ACL injury. Whatever the issue is, I doubt it is related to his ankle injury from last year.
There you go. Just because some players come back from an injury doesn't mean all do. ADP came back "better than ever" after a late season ACL but Dobbins wasn't ready after having an ACL injury before the season started.

Some people blame play calling and too many runs up the middle, but that's a role of a starting RB. Teams have to be able to run between the tackles and that was Zeke's role and it now falls to Pollard. Maybe Dowdle starts playing more and Pollard goes back to his role from the past couple years? Something is off for sure.

Wow.

The Giants were supposed to be a “Great” matchup ..

Someone either upthread or in another thread made an interesting comparison: Lamar Miller.

That is, a guy who is very dynamic on limited touches, but not cut out to be a workhorse. I could somewhat buy that rationale, except that it's not like Pollard has had a ton of work outside the first few games this year. His touches by week: 16, 32, 26, 14, 12, 21, 13, 15, 15. Unless he wore down after week 3, it's hard to gauge what's happening with him.

Stick
a fork in
Pollard
. This was the perfect game script for him to get back on track. Huge early lead and still just put up pedestrian stats. Maybe the injury he suffered in the playoffs was worse than we thought. He just doesnt seems to have the same explosiveness as last year.

This is not an apples to apples comparison. He broke his fibula and had a surgery to his ankle. This was the same surgery that Tua and
Hurts
had in college. Both of them returned to play in less than 2 months. This was not nearly as severe as an ACL injury. Whatever the issue is, I doubt it is related to his ankle injury from last year.
There you go. Just because some players come back from an injury doesn't mean all do. ADP came back "better than ever" after a late season ACL but
Dobbins
wasn't ready after having an ACL injury before the season started.

Some people blame play calling and too many runs up the middle, but that's a role of a starting RB. Teams have to be able to run between the tackles and that was Zeke's role and it now falls to
Pollard
. Maybe
Dowdle
starts playing more and
Pollard
goes back to his role from the past couple years? Something is off for sure.
My point was really more that the injury he sustained shouldn't have had any effect on his explosiveness. It was no a major surgery like an ACL or achilles

There you go. Just because some players come back from an injury doesn't mean all do. ADP came back "better than ever" after a late season ACL but Dobbins wasn't ready after having an ACL injury before the season started.

Some people blame play calling and too many runs up the middle, but that's a role of a starting RB. Teams have to be able to run between the tackles and that was Zeke's role and it now falls to Pollard. Maybe Dowdle starts playing more and Pollard goes back to his role from the past couple years? Something is off for sure.
Idk. I just don't think it has anything to do with his injury from last year. Lot of RBs look good one year and come back to earth the next year. Maybe Dallas was smart all along and is why they only paid him a one-year deal on the franchise tag.

It was no a major surgery like an ACL or achilles

Not all bone breaks are the same. Some can be way worse if they are spiral or splintered. No idea how severe Pollard's was, but the fact that he jumped to sign the franchise tag with the quickness at a time when Jacobs and Saquan were making big waves over similar situations was perhaps telling of how he felt about his injury and prognosis. There is at least some chance that the leg break has played a significant role in why he doesn't look nearly as bursty this year as he did last.

It was no a major surgery like an ACL or achilles

Not all bone breaks are the same. Some can be way worse if they are spiral or splintered. No idea how severe Pollard's was, but the fact that he jumped to sign the franchise tag with the quickness at a time when Jacobs and Saquan were making big waves over similar situations was perhaps telling of how he felt about his injury and prognosis. There is at least some chance that the leg break has played a significant role in why he doesn't look nearly as bursty this year as he did last.
I agree the type of leg break could certainly be a factor, but might be a stretch to say that he jumped at the tag when others didn't. Pollard didn't have nearly as much of a track record as Jacobs/Saquon, so he might have thought that $10 million was reasonable.

might be a stretch to say that he jumped at the tag when others didn't [based on his injury]

Agreed it might be. I did include the word perhaps in my statement to indicate that this was only conjecture. For now, just a theory and a very loose one at that.

might be a stretch to say that he jumped at the tag when others didn't [based on his injury]

Agreed it might be. I did include the word perhaps in my statement to indicate that this was only conjecture. For now, just a theory and a very loose one at that.
Fair point - there could be a multitude of reasons why he's flopped this year, but no matter - none of them are helping us survive the FF carnage.

Users who are viewing this thread