What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (2 Viewers)

What is going on with this guy? Been trending down in the last couple of weeks but this? What happened to his receptions?

An occasional target would be nice for a shifty guy like this ... But when they can pass to other guys and have no problems, why mess with it?

Anyone else find it a little odd how high FBGs seems to be on this guy? I'm seeing rest-of-year rankings (non-PPR) that have him second to Henry, which... what am I missing?
I mean...

This was two weeks ago. Granted, he had a minor injury in one of the two games since, but still. They had him ahead of CMC, Chubb, Jacobs, Taylor, Ekeler... just a really bizarre overreach. Two weeks later, he's settled in at 13 on my league's rankings, which seems more reasonable.

Kudos to FBG for fixing a mistake and not going down with the ship, and I guess there's no point paying for a service that never deviates from conventional wisdon. But this was a weird one.
👀

Can someone who watched the game chime in?
Not sure they are going to tell us anything we don't already know.
A rush for 0 that could have been a loss of 5 is much better than a rush up the middle that doesn't go anywhere.
Lol How many of those do you think he had?
Literally why I'm asking.
I get it. You're looking for something, anything positive. I am too. But it ain't gonna change. He's trending in the wrong direction at the wrong time.

I traded for Etienne late season, so I've only watched his last few games. Seems like Jags OC Press Taylor likes doing cute stuff in the red zone like delayed hand-offs to WRs where ETN blocks, or WR reverses, instead of just feeding the rock near the goal line to the workhorse back. If not for this, ETN should have at least a couple more touchdowns. Is this a new thing, or has this been the case all season?

Here's hoping Press Taylor runs out of gimmicks and tricks and gets more conventional in the next three weeks. But maybe we should expect the worst: Press was responsible for the Philly Special in that Superbowl.

I traded for Etienne late season, so I've only watched his last few games. Seems like Jags OC Press Taylor likes doing cute stuff in the red zone like delayed hand-offs to WRs where ETN blocks, or WR reverses, instead of just feeding the rock near the goal line to the workhorse back. If not for this, ETN should have at least a couple more touchdowns. Is this a new thing, or has this been the case all season?

Here's hoping Press Taylor runs out of gimmicks and tricks and gets more conventional in the next three weeks. But maybe we should expect the worst: Press was responsible for the Philly Special in that Superbowl.

100 YFS 5 straight games

since then, twice it was game script. they were down two scores or more last 40 minutes in yesterday, last 48 in Detroit

yesterday he never got untracked, Trevor was dealing

hasn't had a 20+ play since Week 8

wasn't targeted yesterday which is baffling

Travis Etienne rushed 19 times for 103 yards, adding two receptions for 24 yards on three targets in the Jaguars' Week 15 win over the Cowboys.​

Etienne also lost a fumble on a first-quarter handoff. He was also dealing with an ankle injury late in the game but played on the Jaguars' final drive in overtime. He turned in a long run of just 16 yards but showed some nice burst on several attempts. The Jaguars had to shift to a more pass-heavy approach while trailing for most of the game. However, Etienne remained very involved, with 21 touches. The Jaguars could lean on Etienne against the Jets in Week 16 and are unlikely to be trailing as badly as they were at points against the Cowboys.
Dec 18, 2022, 5:40 PM ET

Travis Etienne rushed 22 times for 83 yards in the Jaguars' Week 16 win over the Jets, adding three receptions for 29 additional yards.​

The 22 carries were Etienne's third most of the season, but he averaged just 3.8 yards per tote in wet and windy conditions in New Jersey. It could have been a bigger fantasy night, but Etienne got stopped on back-to-back goal-line carries early in the second quarter. Trevor Lawrence then cleaned up the mess with a quarterback plunge over the pile. Over his recent foot issues, Etienne now has 10 days to rest up for a mouthwatering Week 17 matchup with the Texans' No. 32 run defense.
Dec 22, 2022, 11:24 PM ET

Anyone else find it a little odd how high FBGs seems to be on this guy? I'm seeing rest-of-year rankings (non-PPR) that have him second to Henry, which... what am I missing?
Not to drag this up again, but we're into championship weekend and FBG loves the guy again, ranking him as a clear RB1. Yes, he's playing a terrible D, but it's a game that doesn't matter to either team, and the Jaguars know they're playing for a division next week. Are we really expecting a full script?

Not to drag this up again, but we're into championship weekend and FBG loves the guy again, ranking him as a clear RB1. Yes, he's playing a terrible D, but it's a game that doesn't matter to either team, and the Jaguars know they're playing for a division next week. Are we really expecting a full script?
Jacksonville has a path to the Wild Card even if they lose to Tennessee. May be a bit of a long shot, but it's a shot. Also, they're favored vs. Houston. If they play everyone, they should win.

Pederson said they won't rest them. Sure, coach speak. But it makes sense and he's saying it.

Tennessee sitting their guys makes more sense. They aren't going to beat Dallas. Their best/only realistic chance is to win the division. It makes sense to sit people, keep the team fresh and healthy, and give it your all in week 18.

I don't see the Jags viewing this week like the Titans are. They have momentum and aren't likely to jeopardize it just because it may not matter.

Travis Etienne rushed 20 times for 109 yards in the Jaguars' Wild Card win over the Chargers.​

Etienne's rushing line was extremely impressive considering he was sitting on 8/37 with the Jags trailing 27-7 at halftime. Coach Doug Pederson did a masterful job of picking his second half rushing spots, none better than his 4th-and-1 call to Etienne with the game on the line with 1:27 remaining. With the Chargers expecting a quarterback sneak, Etienne got the ball, broke right and set up the game-winning field goal. He now has at least seven days to rest up for a likely Divisional Round matchup with the Chiefs. Etienne was held to 73 scoreless yards from scrimmage when those sides met in November.
Jan 15, 2023, 12:36 AM ET

Travis Etienne had 10 rushes for 62 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs, adding three receptions for 18 yards.​

Etienne was highly efficient against a middling KC run defense. He saw more involvement than usual in the passing offense, grabbing all three of his targets. Etienne, who took over the Jacksonville backfield in Week 5 after the team traded James Robinson to the Jets, was a game script sensitive back who often disappeared when the Jaguars turned to a pass-heavy approach (he had 35 catches on 45 targets). With six games of more than 100 rushing yards, Etienne showed he should be a fantasy RB2 as long as no one challenges him for early-down supremacy in the Jaguars backfield.
Jan 21, 2023, 7:42 PM ET

Great “rookie” season from ETN. He just seems to eat yards up. For him to take the next step from high end RB2 to elite, he needs to convince this staff to keep him on the field in 2 min drill and comeback mode. Last night the Jags couldn’t protect so I get that Hasty was needed to block but it sure seems like in comeback mode you want your most explosive weapon on the field.

Last edited:
There aren’t many RB’s I’d rather have in dynasty right now. Age, mileage, up & coming team, and it sure looks like the Jags are going to be using him more and more as they get confidence in his foot.

I’m thrilled that he’s a cornerstone of my rebuild. After the draft I’ll have a Bijan/ETN duo, which sure feels good. :wub:

There aren’t many RB’s I’d rather have in dynasty right now. Age, mileage, up & coming team, and it sure looks like the Jags are going to be using him more and more as they get confidence in his foot.

I’m thrilled that he’s a cornerstone of my rebuild. After the draft I’ll have a Bijan/ETN duo, which sure feels good. :wub:
Jealous. In my rebuild, I missed Bijan by 1 game. I was really excited about possibly having the 3 headed monster of Bijan/Breece/ETN

I will* have the duo too. Here's to hopefully several years of good to great production.

I'm not as excited as rest of you to seem to be for his fantasy prospects but not because of him.

I don't think he played after he ran for a TD. That was a terrible mistake by Pederson to not have him on the field and I get why which Ilov80's touched one, just think it was a big mistake but Pederson did so much good all year it will get glossed over. He should have been more involved in the game even before then, was consistently gaining yardage.

My guess is he'll never be an elite fantasy RB under Pederson and for that to happen would need to likely double his receiving work. I don't think Pederson's ever had a fantasy stud RB in large part because he distributes the labor around the RB's and he leans pass happy. I can't say I see this changing and odds are they have a better RB2 next year then Hasty.

I'm not as excited as rest of you to seem to be for his fantasy prospects but not because of him.

I don't think he played after he ran for a TD. That was a terrible mistake by Pederson to not have him on the field and I get why which Ilov80's touched one, just think it was a big mistake but Pederson did so much good all year it will get glossed over. He should have been more involved in the game even before then, was consistently gaining yardage.

My guess is he'll never be an elite fantasy RB under Pederson and for that to happen would need to likely double his receiving work. I don't think Pederson's ever had a fantasy stud RB in large part because he distributes the labor around the RB's and he leans pass happy. I can't say I see this changing and odds are they have a better RB2 next year then Hasty.
If you treat this as a rookie year, 1400 scrimmage yards on 5.1 ypc is still pretty exciting. I agree he likely isn't ever a top 5 RB for fantasy but I do think low end RB1 on par with what we have seen from an Aaron Jones (in terms output, not how he scores points). That is still quite valuable. Also, it is very likely he improves next year. He improved his game every year at Clemson, I think it's likely he becomes a better receiver and pass blocker next year. By all accounts, he is a very hard worker. A slight uptick in receptions and a little more TD luck and he's right there as a low end RB1.

I can't say I see this changing and odds are they have a better RB2 next year then Hasty.
This is what concerns me. Based on Pederson’s historical usage of RBs, it’s actually pretty surprising that ETN was used as much as he was. It’s certainly possible that with all the strong proven FAs out there, one could land in Jacksonville. If that were the case, ETN would really have to expand his passing game role to continue to be a big time fantasy asset.

If you treat this as a rookie year, 1400 scrimmage yards on 5.1 ypc is still pretty exciting. I agree he likely isn't ever a top 5 RB for fantasy but I do think low end RB1 on par with what we have seen from an Aaron Jones (in terms output, not how he scores points). That is still quite valuable. Also, it is very likely he improves next year. He improved his game every year at Clemson, I think it's likely he becomes a better receiver and pass blocker next year. By all accounts, he is a very hard worker. A slight uptick in receptions and a little more TD luck and he's right there as a low end RB1.
I don't disagree with any of this. Just a little disappointing that he looks the part, was productive and then you look and see he's RB24 in PPG putting up fantasy numbers that does not even make him a must start depending on options. But the difference between RB24 and RB12 is a little over 2 points a game and as you said that's a few TD's, an extra reception a game,etc,etc.

Say's a lot about the current landscape of the RB market, one where a lot of the studs are older, that even if I'm very doubtful he'll ever be a top 5 stud type RB I can still easily get behind an argument he should be valued in that range for dynasty RB's, I struggle moving him down past that area myself. At least right now discounting the rookie crop but that might only knock him 1-2 places at most.

I don't disagree with any of this. Just a little disappointing that he looks the part, was productive and then you look and see he's RB24 in PPG putting up fantasy numbers that does not even make him a must start depending on options. But the difference between RB24 and RB12 is a little over 2 points a game and as you said that's a few TD's, an extra reception a game,etc,etc.

Say's a lot about the current landscape of the RB market, one where a lot of the studs are older, that even if I'm very doubtful he'll ever be a top 5 stud type RB I can still easily get behind an argument he should be valued in that range for dynasty RB's, I struggle moving him down past that area myself. At least right now discounting the rookie crop but that might only knock him 1-2 places at most.
Ignoring the first month when they weren't quite read to fully trust ETN, his 17 game season average turns into 1600 yards, 35 catches and 7 TDs. That already vaults him 6-7 spots up om RB PPG. I can totally see the side that says trade him now because this is his peak value and I can also see the other side saying this was just a rookie year, he's only going to get better. You are totally right that given the shape of the dynasty RB landscape, ETN has to get a boosted value that his stats might not have warranted.

If I didn’t already have him, I’d be looking to buy Etienne.

It sounds like he has an off-season plan of working on his pass pro, and also bulking up with added muscle to better compete at the NFL level.

As good as he was in 2022, if he can come in at ~220 instead of 210, and can stay on the field more with better pass protection, he could be in for an even better season. Top 5 may even be possible.
If he promises to bulk up and work on his pass pro, wondering if they’ll throw him the ball more. Asking for a friend.

It sounds like he has an off-season plan of working on his pass pro, and also bulking up with added muscle to better compete at the NFL level.

As good as he was in 2022, if he can come in at ~220 instead of 210, and can stay on the field more with better pass protection, he could be in for an even better season. Top 5 may even be possible.
If he promises to bulk up and work on his pass pro, wondering if they’ll throw him the ball more. Asking for a friend.
That seems to be the narrative. What I love is that ETN immediately went, “what do I need to do to get better and help my team more?”

And immediately set himself on a path to doing that.

Like an alternate universe RoJo.

I liked Etienne a lot this year, but I'm thinking a bulk up would be a mistake. The list of RBs who improved after adding weight is miniscule, usually its the other way around.

I liked Etienne a lot this year, but I'm thinking a bulk up would be a mistake. The list of RBs who improved after adding weight is miniscule, usually it’s the other way around.

He seemed cognizant of that. The report indicates he wants to be stronger to avoid fumbles, and a little more powerful because players in the NFL on defense are much bigger than they are in college.

He’s talking about 10 pounds, not 30.

Jaguars coach Doug Pederson said "you gotta have 2-3 guys" and offered a firm "yes" when asked about adding to the running back room.​

Nobody should read this as Travis Etienne becoming a committee back -- the Jaguars seemed pleased by his 2022 season and Pederson praised him heavily in a different answer -- but this is a warning shot that he may not have the workload upside that the league's true top-of-the-board fantasy RB1s have. It's also not great news for JaMycal Hasty, who may find himself challenged for the backup role in 2023. Pederson added that he wanted this new back to help on special teams as well.
SOURCE: Mia O'Brien on Twitter
Mar 2, 2023 at 5:15 PM ET

This is obvious. No way they are going out with ETN and Hasty again next year.
I like Etienne, but there is certainly a part of me that could see him being challenged for the starting job this offseason. Seemed like he got pulled in important situations way too much to think he's got a lot of job security. Not saying its a major priority, but if the right guy falls in the draft or the right vet comes around for the right price (maybe Damien Harris) I could see Etienne in a somewhat similar situation to the one he began last season in.

This is obvious. No way they are going out with ETN and Hasty again next year.
I like Etienne, but there is certainly a part of me that could see him being challenged for the starting job this offseason. Seemed like he got pulled in important situations way too much to think he's got a lot of job security. Not saying its a major priority, but if the right guy falls in the draft or the right vet comes around for the right price (maybe Damien Harris) I could see Etienne in a somewhat similar situation to the one he began last season in.
I guess. Aaron Jones was the only regularly used RB with a higher ypc and it was only ETN’s first season. But sure I guess he could be in danger.

Users who are viewing this thread