What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ty'son Williams, BAL (1 Viewer)

Some news:

(RotoWire) "Williams is expected to be active for Monday's game against the Colts as the Ravens' third running back after Baltimore elected not to elevate Le'Veon Bell from the practice squad, Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com reports."

VikingFrog said:
I traded Ty’son to a friend/enemy week 1. He dropped him last week. Then traded Latavius to him this last week as he lost Montgomery.

I may have to pick him up just to mess with my opponents head.
Do it

After being inactive last week, Ty'son was cut in 3 of my leagues. Just snatched him up in all of them on the news that he is active tonight over Bell. Not expecting a miracle, but we'll see what happens.....maybe a blowup game, Lat injury, possible trade, etc

Yahoo and NFL/com leagues allow you to drop bench fodder even after their games are played for the week, which I like.
 I would not have waited that long 

Ty'Son Williams is active for Week 5 against the Colts.

The Ravens opted to not activate Le'Veon Bell from the practice squad for this one, so Williams is back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch last week at Denver. Baltimore will roll with Latavius Murray, Williams, and Devonta Freeman in the backfield. Williams could very easily take back control of this group. He needs to work on the little things and fundamentals of the position.

Oct 11, 2021, 7:08 PM ET

I just came from the FF Reddit and it's insanity over there so I'm just going to say this here:

There is a legitimate chance Ty'Son is active to fulfill the Justice Hill role (3rd RB who gets 10-15% of the snaps) as opposed to the lead RB/2020 Ingram/Dobbins role (>60% of the snaps) or the backup RB/finisher (25-30% of snaps). That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want him to go crazy tonight and light up the stat sheet just for the fun reading here.  
I stated why I grabbed him upthread. But I’d loved to see him go crazy only to see my buddy (who I play next week and just traded Murray and CEH to) head explode. 

I'm picking up Bateman and dropping my kicker until Saturday. If TySon isn't traded by then, I'll drop him for a kicker for Sunday. 

Jackson had the same RPO confusion with Freeman late in the game tonight. I just don't see how a RB is supposed to know what is in Jackson's mind when he 95% hands it off.

Pretty sure I'm out on Ty'Son for good. 5 weeks is enough of a sample size that he's probably never going to be a thing. Hasn't even shown signs that he's going to be the 1A RB in this offense, and even if he is, how much value is there regardless? I can't imagine a team trading for him, so going to drop him for a QB I need for a bye week in a few weeks. 

At one point I had Ty'son, Murray and Bell trying to land a ball cow out of garbage.  Looks like there was no bellcow to be had here.  Glad I'm out.  Now I need to get out of the SF jumble as well.  Yeah, Drafted Sermon but he looks to be a bust in 2021.

At one point I had Ty'son, Murray and Bell trying to land a ball cow out of garbage.  Looks like there was no bellcow to be had here.  Glad I'm out.  Now I need to get out of the SF jumble as well.  Yeah, Drafted Sermon but he looks to be a bust in 2021.
QB's that aren't handing off to RB's with holes to run through are most certainly a problem.

Looks more and more like Lamar is going to get his and get the ball out to his receivers a LARGE % of the time.

I dropped Williams and picked up Bateman as well.

Going to drop Sermon this week.

Still feel he's roster-able as a bench stash in my 14-team redraft given trade possibilities or another injury.   I still think he has a fighting chance to factor in by season's end.   I was offered Ty'son for Khalil Herbert.    Which guy do you think has a better chance of mattering ROS?    

If the assumption is that Montgomery returns to reasonable health by the end of the fantasy season, I think Ty'son might be the play, but don't get me wrong, I don't have grand expectations for either.   They're simply more intriguing than the waiver wire RB alternatives.   Thoughts?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Baltimore nearly lost it's 43 game 100+ yard rushing streak last week, and did have it end this week. Obviously the streak meant a lot to Harbaugh given what he did in week 4. This slump coincides with this RB mash up they have been employing. If they were getting production with this new approach, that would be bad for owners of Murray/Williams/Freeman/Bell and reason to abandon ship. But they aren't, and I don't think what we're seeing is what they actually want to be. Something is going to change IMHO.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Baltimore nearly lost it's 43 game 100+ yard rushing streak last week, and did have it end this week. Obviously the streak meant a lot to Harbaugh given what he did in week 4. This slump coincides with this RB mash up they have been employing. If they were getting production with this new approach, that would be bad for owners of Murray/Williams/Freeman/Bell and reason to abandon ship. But they aren't, and I don't think what we're seeing is what they actually want to be. Something is going to change IMHO.
Who knows what Harbaugh is thinking, but not sure changes will be in order while they're winning. Even if they wanted that streak to start up again, Lamar probably will get at least 50-60 rushing yards a game and thus doesn't require a ton of output from the others. I think right now it's all about protecting Lamar, and any ancillary production from the RBs is gravy.

Who knows what Harbaugh is thinking, but not sure changes will be in order while they're winning. Even if they wanted that streak to start up again, Lamar probably will get at least 50-60 rushing yards a game and thus doesn't require a ton of output from the others. I think right now it's all about protecting Lamar, and any ancillary production from the RBs is gravy.
All about protecting Lamar? 

I get the 'winning' comment on surface level, but highly doubt Harbaugh prefers to come back from 19 point deficits that existed because of inability to run, and forcing them to become one dimensional. That certainly is not protecting Lamar.

All about protecting Lamar? 

I get the 'winning' comment on surface level, but highly doubt Harbaugh prefers to come back from 19 point deficits that existed because of inability to run, and forcing them to become one dimensional. That certainly is not protecting Lamar.
They probably became one-dimensional because of a negative game script in which their defense didn't hold the Colts down. Protecting Lamar in the run game is important too, and that's where Murray and Freeman may have an edge. We'll never be able to figure out Harbaugh, but there's clearly a reason why Ty'Son is not being used much.  Could that change? Perhaps, but I don't think there's huge upside even if he does become the 1A RB - the offense is just not built that way.

None of those RBs looked anything remotely close to 2019 Mark Ingram or 2020 Dobbins. I think they really are just throwing their RB depth chart at the wall and seeing what sticks. And I don't think anything will. Which means more Lamar.

Holding for now and will probably try to get Freeman for cheap. Not crying if I miss because I just don't want to start these guys.

They probably became one-dimensional because of a negative game script in which their defense didn't hold the Colts down. 
Agree to disagree. JMHO, you're framing the situation in a strange way. It wasn't a bad game script until after the Baltimore offense failed. It was 10-3 at half, with the 1st half Ravens offense resulting in:

Punt

Punt

Punt

FG

I get there must be something that has T Williams being displaced, but he is in fact getting some share of snaps. I think it has little to do with protecting Lamar and more to do with Harbaugh hoping he can come up with a recipe by looking to shiny new things (that are actually crusty old things).

Agree to disagree. JMHO, you're framing the situation in a strange way. It wasn't a bad game script until after the Baltimore offense failed. It was 10-3 at half, with the 1st half Ravens offense resulting in:

Punt

Punt

Punt

FG

I get there must be something that has J Williams being displaced, but he is in fact getting some share of snaps. I think it has little to do with protecting Lamar and more to do with Harbaugh hoping he can come up with a recipe by looking to shiny new things (that are actually crusty old things).
Fair points - we don't see what goes on during practice, so there's obviously a reason they don't trust Ty'Son even if his efficiency is good in limited touches. I do think that they the Ravens don't want to give up their rushing identity, so if not Ty'Son or these older guys, someone else may be entering the picture.

Fair points - we don't see what goes on during practice, so there's obviously a reason they don't trust Ty'Son even if his efficiency is good in limited touches. 
Why does "they don't trust Ty'Son" have to be the narrative? Can't the narrative simply be "Crazy circumstances forced the Ravens to bring in a bunch of new guys they need to acclimate, and figure out what works best"? When they bring in FAs, it seems logical they would want to see what they bring to the table. Factually, they were more productive when Ty'Son was getting more carries. Could there be a lack of trust in Ty'Son? Sure, but it doesn't explain why he was trusted enough for 19% of snaps. I'm just not assuming that as factual, as some here are.

My thoughts on Tyson are pretty well known at this point, (some positive, some negative) and even I'd say not to judge any of the BAL RB's by last night's game. That was funky from the jump, and Indy has one of the best LB corps in the league. 

The only real take-away is that Lamar Jackson continues to be Baltimore's best running back. 

Why does "they don't trust Ty'Son" have to be the narrative? Can't the narrative simply be "Crazy circumstances forced the Ravens to bring in a bunch of new guys they need to acclimate, and figure out what works best"? When they bring in FAs, it seems logical they would want to see what they bring to the table. Factually, they were more productive when Ty'Son was getting more carries. Could there be a lack of trust in Ty'Son? Sure, but it doesn't explain why he was trusted enough for 19% of snaps. I'm just not assuming that as factual, as some here are.

I like this take.   Seems like everyone is leaving him for dead, but I still think he's interesting as a bench stash for these reasons.   They lost their prized 1-2 punch at RB in a hot Texas minute.   Let's say they like the talent, maybe even consider him their most dynamic option but think he could benefit from some more seasoning, which is probably a reasonable take based on the early reveal.   It would make a lot of sense to protect this guy early in a 17-week season, especially if you're winning games and the Dobbins-Edwards snake bites are still fresh in their minds.   Like you said, it makes some sense to go so far as to sit him for a game and see if any of the veteran journeymen can be part of the solution.

I just think there's a fair chance that he resurfaces in a meaningful way by the fantasy playoffs, and I'm not convinced it will take an injury in front of him to get there.    For what it's worth, I'm kind of at a similar place with Rhamondre Stevenson.   There's some talent there and it's a beatable depth chart.   Both interesting redraft bench stashes, I probably lean Ty'son between the two.

sushinsky4tsar said:
BigJim® said:

I like this take.   Seems like everyone is leaving him for dead, but I still think he's interesting as a bench stash for these reasons.   They lost their prized 1-2 punch at RB in a hot Texas minute.   Let's say they like the talent, maybe even consider him their most dynamic option but think he could benefit from some more seasoning, which is probably a reasonable take based on the early reveal.   It would make a lot of sense to protect this guy early in a 17-week season, especially if you're winning games and the Dobbins-Edwards snake bites are still fresh in their minds.   Like you said, it makes some sense to go so far as to sit him for a game and see if any of the veteran journeymen can be part of the solution.

I just think there's a fair chance that he resurfaces in a meaningful way by the fantasy playoffs, and I'm not convinced it will take an injury in front of him to get there.    For what it's worth, I'm kind of at a similar place with Rhamondre Stevenson.   There's some talent there and it's a beatable depth chart.   Both interesting redraft bench stashes, I probably lean Ty'son between the two.
You both bring up good points, but my concern is that we're talking about the RB position - which is probably the biggest plug-and-play position there is. Other skill position players often take longer to adjust, while RBs often hit right away or they fall into obscurity (sure there are guys that take longer than others to "get it"). Also, he's not an unknown having been on the practice squad last year. There are things that we just don't see behind the scenes as outsiders. Believe me, I'd love to be wrong as a Williams owner, but it just doesn't seem to be happening for him.

You both bring up good points, but my concern is that we're talking about the RB position - which is probably the biggest plug-and-play position there is. Other skill position players often take longer to adjust, while RBs often hit right away or they fall into obscurity (sure there are guys that take longer than others to "get it"). Also, he's not an unknown having been on the practice squad last year. There are things that we just don't see behind the scenes as outsiders. Believe me, I'd love to be wrong as a Williams owner, but it just doesn't seem to be happening for him.
To be clear, I don't think you are wrong to be concerned. I only think it is wrong to draw too many conclusions from the team making use of vets like Murray/Freeman, who were brought on. I think this is very fluid. It would be crazy for them not to use Freeman/Murray to see what they have to offer. Is it more or less than what Ty'Son offers? They aren't going to figure that out without giving them significant touches. It's a long season. 

As someone who had Williams on their radar a long time ago thanks to Waldman, but was asleep at the wheel when it was time to bite, I have to admit that I have avoided all things Williams since he was picked up.  Looking at this as an opportunity to get it for dirt cheap....

What transgressions has he committed?

It looks like a fumble that they didn't lose in week 2.    Also, I seem to recall the announcers calling out a really poor decision on which gap to hit (believe that was Sunday night vs KC, possibly week 1).   Otherwise, the week 1 & 2 stat line looks pretty impressive compared to what Murray and the others have done.  Are there other items that should be added to his list of RB sins?   

Just seems like the following are as logical as anything to explain why we're here following week 5:

1. usual treatment of a young RB for a fumble   
  2. evaluating a glut of veteran signees, while also not losing football games over any shortcomings at the position
  3. protecting what appears to be their most dynamic RB talent
  4. prepping a young RB for a role they had no designs on him playing, even if he has been on roster for a while

Jonas Shaffer@jonas_shaffer

With Ty'Son Williams out, the Ravens will go with their ~veteran~ RB rotation: Latavius Murray, Devonta Freeman and Le'Veon Bell. The Ravens will have six WRs up: Hollywood Brown, Rashod Bateman, Devin Duvernay, Miles Boykin, James Proche II and Tylan Wallace.

As someone who had Williams on their radar a long time ago thanks to Waldman, but was asleep at the wheel when it was time to bite, I have to admit that I have avoided all things Williams since he was picked up.  Looking at this as an opportunity to get it for dirt cheap....

What transgressions has he committed?

It looks like a fumble that they didn't lose in week 2.    Also, I seem to recall the announcers calling out a really poor decision on which gap to hit (believe that was Sunday night vs KC, possibly week 1).   Otherwise, the week 1 & 2 stat line looks pretty impressive compared to what Murray and the others have done.  Are there other items that should be added to his list of RB sins?   

Just seems like the following are as logical as anything to explain why we're here following week 5:

1. usual treatment of a young RB for a fumble   
  2. evaluating a glut of veteran signees, while also not losing football games over any shortcomings at the position
  3. protecting what appears to be their most dynamic RB talent
  4. prepping a young RB for a role they had no designs on him playing, even if he has been on roster for a while
easy rushing matchup this week, so off to inactives he goes

last week, they ran him into a brick wall a few times

it feels like Harbaugh is intentionally trying to kill any questions about his decision to stick with Murray. 

Isn’t it something like three inactives and you have to release him?
I've wanted to hold as long as possible. The plan was to cut him if he didn't do something today. 

I do appreciate the news coming out before our waivers went through at noon so I could go ahead and be done with this. 

it's a mindset that might result in me needlessly wasting a roster spot for most of the fantasy season, but I still think there's some new age stuff going on here about breaking the season up into sections.   Right now we're in the first season, and we probably don't turn over into the "second season" until the Ravens have an urgent game when it comes to making the playoffs, winning the division/homefield, or claiming the 1-seed/bye.

That doesn't mean I'm expecting them to make him a bellcow by the fantasy playoff season, but I'm going to take a leap of faith that he resurfaces before this is all over.   I'm in a 14-team redraft and went light at RB in the draft, so I'm probably more desperate than most to manufacture something at the position.    I wouldn't fault anyone in a typical 12-team league to say that whatever might lay on the other side of this, if anything, isn't worth holding.     

Not great, but my other RBs are CMC (IR), Collins, Davis, McKinnon and Rountree.

I guess I could go after Salvon Ahmed or Jaret Patterson, or D'Ernest Johnson for a couple weeks, but :shrug:

(16-team contract league BTW)

Well, they may be forced to make Williams active next week depending on Murray's injury. Kind of funny how all 3 geriatric RBs had walk-in TDs this week, there is potential value in this backfield but clearly they don't like something about Williams (or they're just stubbornly going with the "vets").

I think Murray, Freeman, and Bell are all early season cannon fodder.  I think the Ravens are going with a Squid Games approach to the early season RB duties, except all of the combatants are the Old Man.   Credit Murray and Freeman with some nice stat lines in Game #6.   I think Williams shares the rock with the Squid Games winner down the stretch.

it's a mindset that might result in me needlessly wasting a roster spot for most of the fantasy season, but I still think there's some new age stuff going on here about breaking the season up into sections.   Right now we're in the first season, and we probably don't turn over into the "second season" until the Ravens have an urgent game when it comes to making the playoffs, winning the division/homefield, or claiming the 1-seed/bye.

That doesn't mean I'm expecting them to make him a bellcow by the fantasy playoff season, but I'm going to take a leap of faith that he resurfaces before this is all over.   I'm in a 14-team redraft and went light at RB in the draft, so I'm probably more desperate than most to manufacture something at the position.    I wouldn't fault anyone in a typical 12-team league to say that whatever might lay on the other side of this, if anything, isn't worth holding.     
Interesting take.  That allows him to keep learning the system, while the vets take the pounding early on.  Bring the young, fresh kid in for the playoff push.  I think that makes perfect sense, but I’m leaning more towards there being something they don’t like about him.

Interesting take.  That allows him to keep learning the system, while the vets take the pounding early on.  Bring the young, fresh kid in for the playoff push.  I think that makes perfect sense, but I’m leaning more towards there being something they don’t like about him.

I would think letting Lamar Jackson get blown up via missed assignments is probably the culprit.

I would think letting Lamar Jackson get blown up via missed assignments is probably the culprit.

Yes, this is a good one to add to the top of the list for why he's in the dog house, if he's truly in the dog house instead of being kept on ice for an end-of-season run.   Pass protection would make sense as a larger concern given that I don't think there's much of a fumbling history in his college career.

Waldman actually did a breakdown of his week 1 performance.   Although he didn't say that Williams was bad in pass protection, he did highlight a couple of plays that he painted as typical of a young RB getting his feet wet in the NFL where he was slow to recognize where the pressure was coming from.   If things went off the rails against KC or DET, then that's a plausible reason for why you bury the most explosive looking back on your roster (in addition to the fumbles). 

Users who are viewing this thread