What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Wayne Gallman, ATL (1 Viewer)

Might just be my opinion and that's all it is, I see the 4.6 YPC but to be honest I don't think he looked good last year. He got the job done. In my eyes, he's just a guy. I wouldn't be excited about him. I think he's the number two by default since the other guys are rookies behind him. But I think that'll change sooner rather than later.
I agree with this take. Watched a lot of him last year too. He didn't look great. He's fine. Is Sermon  or Mitchell better than fine though?

49ers released RB Wayne Gallman.

Raheem Mostert, Trey Sermon, and Elijah Mitchell are San Francisco's top-three running backs, at least until Jeff Wilson returns.
I mean you can't predict it, but the Giants could have not signed Booker, let Gallman walk and then resigned him after he got cut. :P

@Borden?

Falcons signed RB Wayne Gallman

Qadree Ollison was waived in a corresponding roster move. It is really late to be making this kind of move — Ollison had been No. 2 on the depth chart behind Mike Davis — but there is never a bad time to make an upgrade. The Falcons clearly did not have faith in Ollison as their No. 2 and believe Gallman is a better option. From the outside, it is hard to spot much of, or any, difference between the two, though Gallman does have more experience. The Falcons continue to display a stunning amount of faith in Davis, who wore down badly for the Panthers in 2020. Were Davis to go down, Gallman would enter the re-draft picture, but he lacks standalone value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this take. Watched a lot of him last year too. He didn't look great. He's fine. Is Sermon  or Mitchell better than fine though?
I’m surprised the Niners let him go.

dude saved my season last year off the wire. 

To your question, with Jeffery Wilson coming off the IR week 8, they’ll have Sermon, Wilson, Hasty & Mostert.

I think Hasty just looked good enough this preseason that they're comfortable letting Gallman go. I kinda wish they didn’t; but they can’t carry that many RBs. Sermon might not be there yet, but has more future upside. 

They had high hopes for Ollison. 
They could have had Gallman and Ollison if they thought Gallman was better than Davis.

I'm not arguing he isn't.  Just trying to get in the heads of the Falcons.  COULD be they're disappointed in what they've seen in Davis.  But I think logically it makes sense to think they preferred Davis when free agency started.

They could have had Gallman and Ollison if they thought Gallman was better than Davis.

I'm not arguing he isn't.  Just trying to get in the heads of the Falcons.  COULD be they're disappointed in what they've seen in Davis.  But I think logically it makes sense to think they preferred Davis when free agency started.
Could be anything including all of the above. 

He’s also a gamer. I don’t remember him losing yardage. Dude just falls forward. And against consistently stacked boxes, I might add. 
I like Gallman, but I don't think teams were stacking the box when he was in the backfield - is there a stat that shows this?

Dr. Octopus said:
I like Gallman, but I don't think teams were stacking the box when he was in the backfield - is there a stat that shows this?
Stop Daniel Jones or Wayne Gallman - a good problem to have for a defensive coordinator.

Dr. Octopus said:

I've read from a few fantasy writers that was the case. When he became a Niner I dug into it because I'd remembered seeing it in NY a lot. I don't know where I could look for the stat, but I did see it many times for whatever that's worth. I watched way too much Giants football last year.  

He was 4th in the NFL at YAC & ran against stacked boxes over 40% of 2020, 2nd in the NFL according to Dave Lombardi. 

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1385687757163352064?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1385687757163352064|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fmx4j2u%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse

New 49ers RB Wayne Gallman: #4 in yards after contact/rush, #9 in rushing yards over expectation/attempt and #3 in rushes over expected yards. Advanced stats love this guy. He ran against stacked boxes over 40% of the time (#2)

Digging around, here's a particularly impressive example: 

Gallman faced 8 in the box on 75% of his carries against the Seahawks. Still put up a monster game. 

There was a running back machine in New York last weekend, and his name was Wayne Gallman. Wayne Gallman has made this top 10 RBs list several times already this season, but after his showing against the Seahawks defense on Sunday, he is the most valuable back of Week 13. He rushed for a season-high 135 yards across 16 attempts.

This was the highest rushing yards total of any running back last week, and it came against a wall of defenders. Wayne Gallman rushed against a stacked box of eight-plus defenders on 75% of all his attempts.

Stop Daniel Jones or Wayne Gallman - a good problem to have for a defensive coordinator.
Good way for an OC to get a raise.

that said, see the stat line from his game against the Seahawks where they stacked 75% of the time against him & he still went ham. 

Good way for an OC to get a raise.

that said, see the stat line from his game against the Seahawks where they stacked 75% of the time against him & he still went ham. 
I have no dog in this fight, but isn’t that the only game he went over 100?

and he got almost half of the 130 from one run

I have no dog in this fight, but isn’t that the only game he went over 100?

and he got almost half of the 130 from one run
Yes, but he had 94 the very next game & scored 6x in a 5 game span.

i’ve never been a fan of the  “take away that one long run” method of evaluation. The body of work that game is what it was. 

Me neither usually. But in this case he wouldn’t have had a single 100 td game without it

Just saying 
Makes it even more impressive since Seattle stacked 8 or more in the box on 75% of his carries I guess. :shrug:  

that, and being on the 2020 Giants and doing it.

Not really sure what the point here is. I’m hardly arguing that Gallman was a world beater. 

Me neither usually. But in this case he wouldn’t have had a single 100 td game without it

Just saying 
One could just as easily say he won’t face nearly the same set of contextual circumstances with Matt Ryan instead of Daniel Jones, Ridley instead of Slayton or Shepherd, and Pitts instead of Engram. 

I do think that in general the RB abilities are much closer than most suspect and that in addition to being a quality NFL RB, some guys never get the opportunity to produce in a significant role. Granted Atlanta chose Davis, but they also snapped up Gallman ASAP. Seems to me if most people consider Gallman about RB60, he could still be a viable what the heck flex on occasion and even more with either solid play or a Davis injury. Those two factors make him a solid waiver wire pick-up.

Seems to me if most people consider Gallman about RB60, he could still be a viable what the heck flex on occasion and even more with either solid play or a Davis injury. Those two factors make him a solid waiver wire pick-up.
especially the latter. I’m not sure I’d have the stones to start Gallman unless

1. it becomes clear it’s a RBBC & what the roles are

2. Davis injury. 

Otherwise I completely agree. 

One could just as easily say he won’t face nearly the same set of contextual circumstances with Matt Ryan instead of Daniel Jones, Ridley instead of Slayton or Shepherd, and Pitts instead of Engram. 
Also, in context the ATL 2021 OL > 2020 NYG OL. 

At least from what I’ve seen this preseason. Hard to not be better than the 2020 NYG tho. 

So, he got 15 carries vs. Davis’s 4. I haven’t followed the Falcons enough to know if this signals anything. He’s available for free this morning, thinking of adding him just to see if he’s truly taken over the job (Falcons play Thursday). Not exciting but I’ll take someone getting 15 touches on my bench for free at this point in the season.

Anyone read anything about a potential changing of the guard here?

So, he got 15 carries vs. Davis’s 4. I haven’t followed the Falcons enough to know if this signals anything. He’s available for free this morning, thinking of adding him just to see if he’s truly taken over the job (Falcons play Thursday). Not exciting but I’ll take someone getting 15 touches on my bench for free at this point in the season.

Anyone read anything about a potential changing of the guard here?
Seems like they intentionally rested starters due to the quick turnaround 

#Falcons HC Arthur Smith basically said Wayne Gallman's Week 10 usage was due to the scoreboard and the quick turnaround to Thursday night. “We know we have to play Thursday, so that’s why you saw a heavy dose of (backup quarterback Josh) Rosen and Gallman and the other guys."

https://mobile.twitter.com/smolads/status/1460778540723544064?s=21

Coach Arthur Smith said Wayne Gallman’s spiked Week 10 usage against the Cowboys was because of the blowout and the Falcons having a Thursday night game this week.

Gallman set season highs across the board with his 52% snap share and 15-55 rushing line. “We know we have to play Thursday, so that’s why you saw a heavy dose of (backup quarterback Josh) Rosen and Gallman and the other guys,” Smith said. Cordarrelle Patterson also sprained his ankle. With C-Patt questionable to face New England Thursday, we could see a lot of Mike Davis and Gallman. And it sounds like Davis is still ahead on the depth chart despite his poor play.

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Nov 17, 2021, 7:18 PM ET

I picked him up but I drafted and held Davis (for full disclosure). My guess is that if Patterson doesn't play, one of these guys will give you 15 for 55. That would be a season high for Davis too...

Probably fools gold.  Didn't the coach say his usage was because of the blowout?  I tend to believe him.

Users who are viewing this thread