What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (1 Viewer)

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Montgomery seems droppable in redraft. Maybe he was weeks ago, but in looking at ROS, can't see how he meaningfully contributes to fantasy squads.
Droppable for a new reason?   Williams emerging?   Jones returning?   Injury dragging on?

Droppable for a new reason?   Williams emerging?   Jones returning?   Injury dragging on?
I'm really just trying to justify keeping him/dropping him. All of these issues are what keeps him on my bench, and with similar PPR options I have that are now healthy (like Woodhead), I don't see right now where Montgomery is a better starting option, and as such I think Montgomery becomes droppable for me in redraft.

Maybe it's obvious to others, but struggling with the notion of putting a guy like Montgomery out on the wire. I'm not using him and likely won't given factors you list, but would hate for TyMo to suddenly be back to being a meaningful contributor down the stretch -- and against me on someone else's team.

With Ty being put on IR you have to wonder if he might be done in Green Bay. I am sure he will be back in the NFL in some capacity on some team but it might just be as a backup receiver/special teams player. 

His dynasty value is extremely low right now.

I don't think there is much chance he is back as a RB next year.

I don't think there is much chance he is back as a RB next year.
Agreed... I think he'll move back to WR... Perhaps a slot WR as potential replacement for Randall Cobb .  My best guess is that Thompson would take one or two RBs in next year's NFL draft, which has a potentially load RB class.  

Agreed... I think he'll move back to WR... Perhaps a slot WR as potential replacement for Randall Cobb .  My best guess is that Thompson would take one or two RBs in next year's NFL draft, which has a potentially load RB class.  
The Packers need a lot of other positions filled.  Montgomery will be back.  No doubt.  

The Packers need a lot of other positions filled.  Montgomery will be back.  No doubt.  
After looking at this contract, I agree. He'll be back for one more year. He is signed cheap for next year.

I think the Pack have to re-sign Davante Adams as he clearly is their best receiver now. They likely will cut Cobb though and Montgomery filling in for Cobb makes a lot of sense. Even Cobb gets the occasional looks as a RB. 

But Ty's completely done as a fulltime running back. Of that I am convinced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he's much of a RB.  Looks very unnatural and uncomfortable running the ball.
I don't understand why anyone thinks this.  I think just the opposite when I watch him, he's got good vision, moves, balance, etc.

I also haven't seen anyone important say that he's not the starter.

I don't understand why anyone thinks this.  I think just the opposite when I watch him, he's got good vision, moves, balance, etc.

He looks unsure when he runs the ball.. That is plain to see.  You have to admit he doesn't look like a running back when he runs.  I don't think I'm alone with this thinking and if I am, please others chime in.  He simply doesn't run like a running back.

he will start as the starter, and it sounds like he will be a heavy part of their scheme. if healthy i think he has a heavy dose of receptions vut rushing attacks are limited to <10 per game. which isn't a big deal when hes bringing in those receptions.

I feel this offense will resemble, best it can, something like philly 

he will start as the starter, and it sounds like he will be a heavy part of their scheme. if healthy i think he has a heavy dose of receptions vut rushing attacks are limited to <10 per game. which isn't a big deal when hes bringing in those receptions.

I feel this offense will resemble, best it can, something like philly 
no he won't

Coach Mike McCarthy said the Packers will have a "running back by committee."

"We feel like we've got three guys that have all done, but they haven't done it over a long period of time," McCarthy said, "so I think it's just practical thinking from that position and realizing that it's a very demanding position." McCarthy did leave open the possibility of one player emerging as the clear option, but it sounds like all of Jamaal Williams, Ty Montgomery, and Aaron Jones will have a role to open the season, terrible news for each player's fantasy prospects. Perhaps someone emerges in camp, but this is shaping up as a situation to avoid.

He looks unsure when he runs the ball.. That is plain to see.  You have to admit he doesn't look like a running back when he runs.  I don't think I'm alone with this thinking and if I am, please others chime in.  He simply doesn't run like a running back.
Through two preseason games he looks the same to me as he always has: good instinct, vision, and balance.

(besides the fumble, of course, but that was on a kickoff)

I’m still targeting Aaron Jones as a 9-10 round lotto ticket. After his suspension that’ll more than likely be his backfield.

Ty will have a role - likely split wide & maybe a couple carries if AJones needs a blow, but I fully expect AJones to dominate the snap count starting week 3. 

He earned it. And I like Ty Montgomery & invested in him the last couple years. AJones looks the part - IMO talk of RBBC  is coach speak. And probably true weeks 1-2.

week 3 ~> and IMO Jones runs away with it. 

Once again, Montgomery was the best RB in the Packers' backfield this week.  No idea what the coaches are thinking, he should always be in the game and Williams should only be used to give him breathers.

Of course, Jones is back this week so we'll have to see how that shakes out.

Once again, Montgomery was the best RB in the Packers' backfield this week.  No idea what the coaches are thinking, he should always be in the game and Williams should only be used to give him breathers.

Of course, Jones is back this week so we'll have to see how that shakes out.
They're thinking that they have an all-world QB gutting out a knee injury that has sapped much of his mobility, and Williams is the best RB on the Packers in pass protection by a significant margin. It really isn't any more complicated than that.

I'm a big fan of both Jones' and Monty's talent, but for at least as long as A-Rod's knee is less than 100% I don't see this situation changing much.

They're thinking that they have an all-world QB gutting out a knee injury that has sapped much of his mobility, and Williams is the best RB on the Packers in pass protection by a significant margin. It really isn't any more complicated than that.

I'm a big fan of both Jones' and Monty's talent, but for at least as long as A-Rod's knee is less than 100% I don't see this situation changing much.
I guess I don't see Williams as being all that much better than Montgomery at pass protection.  I admit I haven't paid as much attention to that (and am not evaluating it as a coach would), but what I've seen from Montgomery has been fine.

Montgomery did have a nice blitz pickup too.

I don't think it was as night and day better as some people like to make it out though.  Totally different styles of guys.

I don't think anyone is standing out as great at this point so will be interesting to see how Jones is mixed in.

Sneaky play this week with all the WRs out ? I’m waiting on Adams to see if he plays but if he doesn’t maybe I’ll grab Ty off the wire and play him in my flex 

Sneaky play this week with all the WRs out ? I’m waiting on Adams to see if he plays but if he doesn’t maybe I’ll grab Ty off the wire and play him in my flex 
On radio just heard Adams likely to practice tomorrow...team hopeful Allison too.

Cobb for sure out.

Edit...link to tweet 

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1048220531655409666

Rob Demovsky‏Verified account @RobDemovsky 36m36 minutes ago

More

Randall Cobb (hamstring) has been ruled out for Sunday, coach Mike McCarthy said. Davante Adams (calf) will practice on Saturday, and there's hope for Geronimo Allison (concussion).

I would be surprised if Allison played this week. Adams I expect to be playing, especially if Allison is out.

GB will need all receiving players on deck this week... Detroit can throw and score points. 
Id agree...but if he passes protocol (today or in the morning). I don't necessarily see them holding him out.

Gone.  Seeing how Rodgers is the most grudgefull athlete in sports, there's no way he wasn't going to make sure TY was traded today.

Huh?  The new GM is getting rid of all the dead weight drafted in 2015-17.   Montgomery sucks.   This was a decision made far easier - but not primarily because of - Ty's boneheaded play vs the Rams.
Yes he might have been moved anyways, but you're crazy if you don't think Rodgers was in their ear about it.

I love the guy but once you get him mad or screw him over, he is done talking to you for life.

Huh?  The new GM is getting rid of all the dead weight drafted in 2015-17.   Montgomery sucks.   This was a decision made far easier - but not primarily because of - Ty's boneheaded play vs the Rams.
Agree 100%. I think in the long run it will benefit Ty as he was a hated player in GB right now and the kind of selfish play he made is not going to be forgotten soon. 

I'm bullish on this move by the Ravens. TyMont doesn't suck, he's versatile, and most importantly for FF, he's absolutely unique compared to any skill position player currently on that roster...

...the Ravens brought in Woodhead to be a key piece in that offense, he got hurt, and they haven't been able to realize that portion of the playbook since. There's at least a chance TyMont can fill, and potentially thrive, in that role.

Ravens acquired RB Ty Montgomery from the Packers in exchange for a 2020 seventh-round pick.

The sometimes receiver has one of the league's most versatile skill-sets for a running back but was seeing limited work in the Packers' backfield, touching the ball just 41 times in seven contests. Montgomery had a few monster games over the past three years in Green Bay but also had trouble staying healthy. He will add a new element to a Ravens backfield that has traditionally had a receiving threat but not this season. TyMont is a massive upgrade on Buck Allen. The move comes just two days after a Montgomery special teams fumble cost the Packers dearly in Los Angeles. It also clears the deck for Aaron Jones in Green Bay.

Yes he might have been moved anyways, but you're crazy if you don't think Rodgers was in their ear about it.

I love the guy but once you get him mad or screw him over, he is done talking to you for life.
Honestly if you think that Rodgers has any say on player personnel moves, your giving him way too much credit. 

Think back only to after last season, Jordy was cut and Rodgers was pissed. When asked he said something along the lines of no ones said anything to him or asked his opinion. People think these high paid superstar QBs have all this power and they really don’t. 

Honestly if you think that Rodgers has any say on player personnel moves, your giving him way too much credit. 

Think back only to after last season, Jordy was cut and Rodgers was pissed. When asked he said something along the lines of no ones said anything to him or asked his opinion. People think these high paid superstar QBs have all this power and they really don’t. 
He said that, sure.

This was different though.  Usually QB's 'say the right thing" and support their guys who make errors that cost them the game.  Rodgers' interview didn't shy away from calling out Ty for this.  I'm sure he at least sent a text saying "get rid of this guy, I never want to speak to him again"

Great move by the Ravens. Montgomery is a better pass catcher than Buck Allen, and a better returner than anyone they were trotting out(since they wisely aren't gonna Brown) for a 7th rounder I'd say that is a steal.

If Montgomery hadn't gotten hurt, you wouldn't even know who J.Williams or A.Jones are today.  He's a very good player who was being criminally underutilized and I hope the change of scenery does him a world of good (although I was hoping he'd finally land in a less-crowded situation).

He said that, sure.

This was different though.  Usually QB's 'say the right thing" and support their guys who make errors that cost them the game.  Rodgers' interview didn't shy away from calling out Ty for this.  I'm sure he at least sent a text saying "get rid of this guy, I never want to speak to him again"
That was my text I’m sure. 

I hope Baltimore will make him a slot WR, which is what he always should have been.

I always felt he was miscast as a RB. It's just not the best fit for his skill set.

Yea, this isn't basketball.  These guys are 1 of 60 on the roster. They don't call the shots.

Yea, this isn't basketball.  These guys are 1 of 60 on the roster. They don't call the shots.
He's the greatest QB possibly over. Could certainly argue the most gifted. He has surpassed Favre and will be THE legend in Green Bay for decades and decades. If he wants someone gone AND the coaching staff doesn't value them, you can betchurr ### that guy is gone. 

I hope Baltimore will make him a slot WR, which is what he always should have been.

I always felt he was miscast as a RB. It's just not the best fit for his skill set.
I think Ty had the most drops of catchable passes his last season in college. I honestly believe his hands is why he was never used more than a few yards downfield or in a consistent role as a slot guy. I wish I could find a stat that showed how many of his catches have been more than 10 yards downfield, I would bet the percentage is low. 

Anyway he gets a new shot with the Ravens and was cheap, so it’s a win/win for the Ravens, even if he’s not a big hit. 

Yea, his hands aren't great at all. He doesn't have good jump ball or catch radius skills.

However, he's dangerous in the open field. I always felt he should be GB's heir to Cobb, not the next Jordy or James Starks.

I'd look at him on the Ravens as being like a poor man's Anquan Boldin. They've always seemed to value the big/physical WR with their draft picks and FA moves even if it hasn't always worked out. I know the Ravens specifically target gritty/tough/physical players and I can sort of see how Ty fits that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very lukewarm on his dynasty value, but at this point a change of scenery can't hurt since the RB experiment has run its course.

Yup, Packers basically told Montgomery "screw you and good riddance" when booting him off to Ravens in exchange for 7th round pick.

Yea, his hands aren't great at all. He doesn't have good jump ball or catch radius skills.

However, he's dangerous in the open field. I always felt he should be GB's heir to Cobb, not the next Jordy or James Starks.

I'd look at him on the Ravens as being like a poor man's Anquan Boldin. They've always seemed to value the big/physical WR with their draft picks and FA moves even if it hasn't always worked out. I know the Ravens specifically target gritty/tough/physical players and I can sort of see how Ty fits that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very lukewarm on his dynasty value, but at this point a change of scenery can't hurt since the RB experiment has run its course.
He isn't a poor man's Boldin.  He's like the poorest-man-in-Haiti version of Boldin.

Users who are viewing this thread