What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (2 Viewers)

Sitting him for Aaron Jones.  Don't feel confident in either of them with Monty likely playing, but I think it's likely that Jones sees more touches.
Unfortunately for me, my other choices are A.Ellington and D.Foreman.  So I'm not sure what to do.  I'm leaning Foreman, thinking that Montgomery might just be eased back in this week and not get any goal line.

Unfortunately for me, my other choices are A.Ellington and D.Foreman.  So I'm not sure what to do.  I'm leaning Foreman, thinking that Montgomery might just be eased back in this week and not get any goal line.
I'm assuming no-PPR, because PPR would be Ellington easily. 

I still might say Ellington in noPPR since lately his receiving yard totals have been higher than what Foreman has been getting on the ground, plus the Browns have a tough run D

Agreed. I like what I saw in Jones very much but the Cowboys gave up over 200 total yards to Gurley the week before. I'll withhold judgement until I see him against the Vikings.

The week before against the Bears Montgomery had 28 yards on 5 carries (5.6 avg.). Jones had 49 yards on 13 carries (3.6 avg.)
Agree that you'd like to Jones produce for multiple games and against a quality defense. 

But, your ypc analysis is based on some tiny samples. Plus 13 for 49 (more like 3.8 than 3.6) is just 3 yards under a 4.0 clip and is pretty respectable.

I'm assuming no-PPR, because PPR would be Ellington easily. 

I still might say Ellington in noPPR since lately his receiving yard totals have been higher than what Foreman has been getting on the ground, plus the Browns have a tough run D
Non-PPR (I don't play in PPR leagues).  I went ahead and put Ty in, the ESPN Fantasy crew talked me into it.

Sitting Monty this week in 1 PPR  (don't have Jones). Gotta see how he (and Jones) perform before plugging him in.

Rolling with both Ingram and Kamara, with Howard sitting as well (leery about QB situation w/Trubisky).

I hate myself - I went ahead and started him in 2 leagues. In one at flex, over White, in the other over Brate at flex. 

PPR - we’ll see what happens. Not feelin White in what might be a blowout, and if I have him in one league I feel like I need him going in the other. 

Good luck to everyone who started him today. 

Benched him for McKinnon. I feel like Montgomery isn't quite ready for a full workload, and Minnesota has the #2 fantasy defense against RBs.

Benched him for McKinnon. I feel like Montgomery isn't quite ready for a full workload, and Minnesota has the #2 fantasy defense against RBs.
I’ve got McKennon at RB2, Hunt at RB1. Ty is my flex over a TE. I don’t know why - gut feeling that ASF is gonna be a guy the Pats focus on shutting down. 

In over gore. Guy I’m playing has hunt and Fournette so I’m screwed. I need more than old man franks 8-12. 

It’s official. I’m an idiot. :doh:  

jones gets the start? Last time I read news before a game. ASF on my bench in both leagues with a TD. Gah. 

Not getting a chance to see the game until later, so questions I have are:

1. Did he make it through the game without looking like he worsened the injury?
  2. How did Montgomery look out there? Tentative? Same burst/wiggle? Protecting his ribs or playing with regular abandon?
  3. I think we all knew he was going to be on a pitch count -- was it more or less as expected or did it seem they favored Jones in snaps?
  4. With Rodgers likely out for the season, what's the effect on Monty and the entire running game? 

Hard to judge anyone on this game.  Vikings D line...Rodgers hurt, and 3 of the 5 starting OL going out.

He was near the led tent getting checked out at one point.  But seemed to do fine injury wise.

Missed a shot at a TD on a nice move and pass by Hundley.  Just stumbled and couldn’t hang on to the ball.

Jones didn’t look any better til garbage time.

2. How did Montgomery look out there? Tentative? Same burst/wiggle? Protecting his ribs or playing with regular abandon?
  3. I think we all knew he was going to be on a pitch count -- was it more or less as expected or did it seem they favored Jones in snaps?
  4. With Rodgers likely out for the season, what's the effect on Monty and the entire running game? 
Looked to be series split between Jones and Montgomery. Montgomery didn't look tentative at all or even limited. Nearly missed a TD that was overturned. On the play he stretched out for the goal line. If the ribs were still hurting I doubt he completely stretches out like that.

He left the game after starting. It was reported during the game that he would not return, but he did return briefly in the second half.

1. How did Montgomery look out there? Tentative? Same burst/wiggle? Protecting his ribs or playing with regular abandon?
He had two decent runs that I recall but mostly stuffed (so was Jones) he had a TD on a reception where Kendricks blew the coverage, but he bobbled the ball as he was falling to the ground and it was ruled not a catch.

1. I think we all knew he was going to be on a pitch count -- was it more or less as expected or did it seem they favored Jones in snaps?
I was a bit surprised they favored Mongomery by starting him. Then also by bringing him back after he was reported hurt. The Packers never established the run with Jones.

1. With Rodgers likely out for the season, what's the effect on Monty and the entire running game? 
Without Rodgers the offense is much worse. The Vikings defense is very good, so not a day for that to get on track at all. Hundley looked ok as a replacement. He has some mobility and was able to make throws when he wasn't under pressure. He was under pressure most of the game.

The Packers offensive tackles ended up leaving the game and the pass rush was getting there before they exited, but the pressure was pretty constant. Linval Joseph doesn't let anything up the middle work for the running game.

I was a bit surprised they favored Mongomery by starting him. Then also by bringing him back after he was reported hurt. The Packers never established the run with Jones.
I'm not sure he was reported hurt. I know he went in to the blue medical tent at one point, but for all we know it could have been for a re-tape job.

He left the game after starting. It was reported during the game that he would not return, but he did return briefly in the second half.

He had two decent runs that I recall but mostly stuffed (so was Jones) he had a TD on a reception where Kendricks blew the coverage, but he bobbled the ball as he was falling to the ground and it was ruled not a catch.

Without Rodgers the offense is much worse. The Vikings defense is very good, so not a day for that to get on track at all. Hundley looked ok as a replacement. He has some mobility and was able to make throws when he wasn't under pressure. He was under pressure most of the game.

The Packers offensive tackles ended up leaving the game and the pass rush was getting there before they exited, but the pressure was pretty constant. Linval Joseph doesn't let anything up the middle work for the running game.
:thumbup:

Talking head on the broadcast said he wouldn't return just after half time, but he did.
Yeah I listened to those talking heads during the game. They were clueless. On the punt play where Nelson lined up as QB Nelson barked about 5 signals and came out from under center 3 times before they even noticed he was in at QB.

I saw the play where Montgomery asked to come out of the game right before he headed to the medical tent. Looked more like an equipment problem to me but who knows? The fact he came back in leads me to believe it wasn't anything serious.

Yeah I listened to those talking heads during the game. They were clueless. On the punt play where Nelson lined up as QB Nelson barked about 5 signals and came out from under center 3 times before they even noticed he was in at QB.

I saw the play where Montgomery asked to come out of the game right before he headed to the medical tent. Looked more like an equipment problem to me but who knows? The fact he came back in leads me to believe it wasn't anything serious.
Yeah I agree the reporting was inaccurate. She mentioned like four other Packers injured along with Montgomery, but she was wrong. Just repeating what was said.

We will know more when the snap counts come out how much he played. I know Montgomery was in the game after the half. Mentioned it in the game thread.

Yeah I agree the reporting was inaccurate. She mentioned like four other Packers injured along with Montgomery, but she was wrong. Just repeating what was said.

We will know more when the snap counts come out how much he played. I know Montgomery was in the game after the half. Mentioned it in the game thread.
No problem. IMHO I don't think the Montgomery injury (if there even was one) is anything to worry about. More worried about losing Rodgers and the effect it will have on the offense and opportunity. Also worried about the offensive line injuries.

FWIW there wasn't a mention of Montgomery being injured during the game in the post-game pressers,

Last edited by a moderator:
He's useless ROS.  You need weeks for ribs to heal.  

Shark move was to sell high after week three.  I didn't.  Bet I drop him in a couple of weeks now.  Ugh. 

Traded the 1.12 for this guy and thought I was a genius after 2-3 weeks.  Now I feel like I've had the rug pulled out from under me.  #### A.Jones.

Thank god i was in position to pick Jones off the waiver after drafting this guy. Jones will gash the Lions on MNF. 
Jones is the only guy worth having on the Packers in my view but I don't think Jones will repeat this performance anytime soon. The pack were motivated early trying to rally around the loss of Rodgers but teams are just going to heavily defense the run from now on until Hundley can prove he can beat them in air. I don't think the Pack have a strong enough OL to run against 8 man fronts no matter who the running back is.

IMO, this is a great sell high opportunity for Aaron Jones. I really what nothing to do with any Pack Players.

Aaron Rodgers really was everything for the Pack. They aren't well coached Rodgers just made up for that.

McCarthy is another bozo coach that shouldn't have a job
Why do you think this? Care to elaborate? Or is it just sour grapes because you went all in on Ty, were one of those telling me 6 months ago "Ty's the man, you're crazy, they waited until round 4 and 5 to draft a RB, that says they have full confidence in Ty, he's not injury prone, just wait he's had a full offseason of working at RB?" 

McCarthy hamstrung his QB last week with awful play calling, but the best RB on that roster is Aaron Jones. I'm sorry you didn't see that. 

You made my point for me Dan. McCarthy hamstrung his qb with awful play calling.
Any reason that constitutes discussion in the Ty Montgomery thread? Montgomery is not McCarthy and he doesn't play QB... 

McCarthy had his best RB out there last week to give him the best chance at moving the ball on the ground. What he did with calling passing plays does not involve Ty Montgomery one bit. He called plenty of screens last week, actually, more than usual, so you can't gripe about that. 

are you really suggesting that McCarthy, just losing his QB- one of the best of all time- thought he'd bench the best option at RB? 

I'm shocked that people are dropping Ty... 

Jones looks better but

1. Ty is still recovering from his rib problem
2. They will need a receiving back with Hundley behind center
3. When Ty had a chance early in the season he actually looked good

I'm actually considering dropping Tarik for Montgomery... I think a lot of people dropped him assuming Jones is the lead guy, which he seems to be, but Ty isn't going away. He has some definite fantasy value in PPR leagues. I think the bye week resulted in him being a common casualty as people need room for byes, and he appears to have lost the job. Even though he's still #1 on the official depth chart... 

Just screams one of those opportunities where people drop too early, he had a bye, and he comes back and suddenly everyone's blowing FAAB to pick him back up... I may very well buy. 4-5 carries for 20 yards, 5-6 receptions for 50 yards is still quite valuable IMO. And that's a realistic workload for him I think... He could turn into what I thought Tarik could be. 

Droppable in all formats. Let's face it -- Montgomery was never going to be a high-volume RB. He had value because he was a dual threat and because he had Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball to him.

If Jones were not in the picture, then you could justify keeping him -- even though his value would be somewhere in the Christian McCaffrey range. But now you're looking at a guy who's going to get maybe 8 rushes (against a stacked defense) but won't be getting very many targets. And even when he does get the occasional catch, it will likely be on a short dumpoff and he won't be getting any receiving TDs.

To put it another way: how many 3rd-down backs on sub-.500 teams are rosterable in fantasy football? Because that's all Montgomery is right now. Forget about his name and his team and his stats from last year. Just look at the current situation: 5-10 touches per game on a crappy team with maybe 1-2 total TDs the reason of the season. That's a BYE week flex at best.

Droppable in all formats. Let's face it -- Montgomery was never going to be a high-volume RB. He had value because he was a dual threat and because he had Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball to him.

If Jones were not in the picture, then you could justify keeping him -- even though his value would be somewhere in the Christian McCaffrey range. But now you're looking at a guy who's going to get maybe 8 rushes (against a stacked defense) but won't be getting very many targets. And even when he does get the occasional catch, it will likely be on a short dumpoff and he won't be getting any receiving TDs.

To put it another way: how many 3rd-down backs on sub-.500 teams are rosterable in fantasy football? Because that's all Montgomery is right now. Forget about his name and his team and his stats from last year. Just look at the current situation: 5-10 touches per game on a crappy team with maybe 1-2 total TDs the reason of the season. That's a BYE week flex at best.
:confused:  

That's his biggest skill set

Ty is averaging 2.5 targets with Hundley at QB. I don't see that getting much higher moving forward.
Is this a fair sample size? 

Hundley's started 1 game for green bay. Rodgers was knocked out of the MIN game so I think it's unfair to judge any offensive players on how they performed when a backup QB was thrust into his first action unprepared. 

The second game was the only week where Ty had practiced fully as he was hurt against Chicago, sat out the next week, and then played hurt vs MIN. 

So in Hundley's first NFL start, where McCarthy was clearly holding his play calling back for his QB, and Ty was just cleared from the injury report 2 days prior... yeah seems fair to judge him and his usage. :rolleyes:  

That's exactly why I bring this thread up from page 3-4... it's reasonable to expect better play calling from McCarthy, better play from Hundley having a whole 2 weeks to prepare himself to lead this team, and Ty another week to heal from BROKEN ribs. 

Is this a fair sample size? 

Hundley's started 1 game for green bay. Rodgers was knocked out of the MIN game so I think it's unfair to judge any offensive players on how they performed when a backup QB was thrust into his first action unprepared. 

The second game was the only week where Ty had practiced fully as he was hurt against Chicago, sat out the next week, and then played hurt vs MIN. 

So in Hundley's first NFL start, where McCarthy was clearly holding his play calling back for his QB, and Ty was just cleared from the injury report 2 days prior... yeah seems fair to judge him and his usage. :rolleyes:  

That's exactly why I bring this thread up from page 3-4... it's reasonable to expect better play calling from McCarthy, better play from Hundley having a whole 2 weeks to prepare himself to lead this team, and Ty another week to heal from BROKEN ribs. 
He's definitely a hold, at least for another week to see the workload split with TyMont seemingly healthy.

As a TyMont owner, I"m not at all optimistic though. Outside of the Minnesota game, GB has gone with 1 primary back on all 3 downs in every game. That seems to be their plan, and there's no way not to think Jones would be their 3 down back if they continue like that. 

He's definitely a hold, at least for another week to see the workload split with TyMont seemingly healthy.

As a TyMont owner, I"m not at all optimistic though. Outside of the Minnesota game, GB has gone with 1 primary back on all 3 downs in every game. That seems to be their plan, and there's no way not to think Jones would be their 3 down back if they continue like that. 
I tend to agree. I think the fact that the ST coach felt like he could talk to McCarthy about having Ty on special teams was almost the "stick a fork in him" moment. I was surprised to see him on my FA list and felt like he's at least a hold for 1 more week, as you said, healthy and to see what the split will be. Jones has been way more productive and looks more natural than Ty ever did, but Ty did look pretty good to start the year. 

I
Just screams one of those opportunities where people drop too early, he had a bye, and he comes back and suddenly everyone's blowing FAAB to pick him back up... I may very well buy. 4-5 carries for 20 yards, 5-6 receptions for 50 yards is still quite valuable IMO. And that's a realistic workload for him I think... He could turn into what I thought Tarik could be. 
Your insight into the entire Packers RB situation has generally been very good but these receiving projections are just not realistic without a much higher snap count.

If we believe your assertions about the potential of Aaron Jones then almost by definition Montgomery becomes a handcuff, at best.

As others have pointed out, Montgomery is now a CoP back on a mediocre offense (until AR comes back). 

4-5 carries for 20 yards / 4 recpts for 35-40 yds / virtually no chance at TD's (as long as Jones keeps his current role)

Users who are viewing this thread