What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zach Charbonnet, SEA (1 Viewer)

Also, a 60-40 split is significant. That's Walker with 50% more touches than Charb.
Are all touches created equal for FF?

Hypothetically, Charbs gets 90% of the receptions and 90% of’the short yardage carries.

How ya feeling about those Walker touches now? Bullish?

Last edited:
Also, a 60-40 split is significant. That's Walker with 50% more touches than Charb.

Charbs gets 90% of the receptions and 90% of’the short yardage carries.

90%? I'll take that bet
So if Walker gets 60% of the touches, but Charbs gets 90% or receptions & short yardage you still take Walker over Charbs?

Huh

Note: just a hypothetical, not a prediction.

90%? I'll take that bet
So if Walker gets 60% of the touches, but Charbs gets 90% or receptions & short yardage you still take Walker over Charbs?

Huh

I'm betting against the number being 90%

90%? I'll take that bet

Huh

That’s not what I asked you.

I don't know where this idea came from that Charbonnet is going to get all the receptions. Neither he nor Walker are particularly good pass catchers. Wouldn't totally rule out a 3rd RB (Deejay Dallas or maybe Kenny McIntosh) taking that job. But also, RB receptions are such a small part of the offense in Seattle, they have been a bottom 5 team on RB receptions for most of the last decade, and just added another high-end WR. I think the leading pass catcher at RB for Seattle might be looking at 25 catches.

I think the 60-40 split on Walker's favor is pretty realistic, and that may stay the case for 2-3 years, Walker is a slightly better talent in my opinion. I can understand people liking Charbonnet's talent, but this was a terrible landing spot, and right now, I'd be hard pressed to take Charbonnet higher than 1.9 in rookie drafts.

My guess is Walker is an RB2, and Charbonnet is an RB3, somewhat similar (production wise anyway) to what we see in Green Bay.

I don't know where this idea came from that Charbonnet is going to get all the receptions
Didn’t say he’d get all the receptions.

The idea probably comes from Charbonnet’s college film and pre-draft scouting reports that shows/says he’s a fluid receiver, and the fact that Walker really isn’t.
:shrug:

ETA: this is from the link Faust just posted.
Charbonnet comes into the NFL with the receiving chops and the ability to grind through tackles, making for a juicy fantasy prospect.

And
Charbonnet’s receiving chops are what the team was after and in an interview with Seattle Sports 710, Carroll stated “He’s so versatile. He just will fit in and be a great addition. And really, we’re gonna find out how far he can take it in terms of the receiving part of it. We know he’s really good at it. But so is Kenneth [Walker], so those guys will be battling. And we also went all the way down to get Kenny McIntosh because of his versatility. There’s so many positives about these guys.”

About Walker
While Walker did produce for the fantasy crowd last year, he struggled as a pass catcher, posting the eighth-worst yards per route run (.85) among RBs with at least 15 targets. Charbonnet can come in on those crucial third downs and goal-line situations and produce solid numbers for both real and fantasy football.

Which echoes everything I have been saying about Charbs being a better bet for receptions / short yardage.

90%? I'll take that bet

Huh

That’s not what I asked you.
You asked first.
I know you are but what am I?

I'd bet walker outscores charb this year.......by 50

90%? I'll take that bet

Huh

Receptions seems possible.
I’d lean Walker getting more goal line Carries

I don't know where this idea came from that Charbonnet is going to get all the receptions

The idea probably comes from Charbonnet’s college film and pre-draft scouting reports that shows/says he’s a fluid receiver, and the fact that Walker really isn’t.

Charbonnet comes into the NFL with the receiving chops and the ability to grind through tackles, making for a juicy fantasy prospect.

And
Charbonnet’s receiving chops are what the team was after and in an interview with Seattle Sports 710, Carroll stated “He’s so versatile. He just will fit in and be a great addition. And really, we’re gonna find out how far he can take it in terms of the receiving part of it. We know he’s really good at it. But so is Kenneth [Walker], so those guys will be battling. And we also went all the way down to get Kenny McIntosh because of his versatility. There’s so many positives about these guys.”

About Walker
While Walker did produce for the fantasy crowd last year, he struggled as a pass catcher, posting the eighth-worst yards per route run (.85) among RBs with at least 15 targets. Charbonnet can come in on those crucial third downs and goal-line situations and produce solid numbers for both real and fantasy football.

Which echoes everything I have been saying about Charbs being a better bet for receptions / short yardage.
I'd disagree with that scouting report. Charbonnet is a solid checkdown option, but he an average receiver in my opinion, he's not a guy I would ever expect to be featured (especially in this offense) in the passing game. He's not a great route runner or separator, he just has good hands. That's probably still better than Walker, but I think counting on that as a valuable part of Charbs production is a mistake, Seattle is maybe the least valuable 3rd down job in the NFL.

From a redraft perspective, I see Walker as a 4th round pick, and Charbonnet as a 9th rounder. I'll likely have zero Walker shares. Dynasty wise, I have Charbonnet as 1.9, and would maybe go as high as 1.3 for Walker if I were a RB away. I think Walker is a better overall runner, with FAR superior big-play ability. I'd be awfully surprised if he lost that starting job at any point.

And

About Walker

I'd disagree with that scouting report. Charbonnet is a solid checkdown option, but he an average receiver in my opinion, he's not a guy I would ever expect to be featured (especially in this offense) in the passing game. He's not a great route runner or separator, he just has good hands. That's probably still better than Walker, but I think counting on that as a valuable part of Charbs production is a mistake, Seattle is maybe the least valuable 3rd down job in the NFL.

From a redraft perspective, I see Walker as a 4th round pick, and Charbonnet as a 9th rounder. I'll likely have zero Walker shares. Dynasty wise, I have Charbonnet as 1.9, and would maybe go as high as 1.3 for Walker if I were a RB away. I think Walker is a better overall runner, with FAR superior big-play ability. I'd be awfully surprised if he lost that starting job at any point.
I mean, you’re basically disagreeing with Pete Carroll. :shrug:

And

About Walker

I'm ok with that. Carroll is maybe the least trustworthy HC in the NFL. Even in that quote, he also said Walker is also a good receiving RB, and that McIntosh (no lock to make the roster) is there for his versatility too. Carroll is all sunshine and lollipops all the time. That's actually how you knew Chris Carson's career was in jeopardy a couple years ago, because Carroll actually sounded pessimistic about something.

I'd bet walker outscores charb this year.......by 50
In full PPR, I'd agree with this.

Love how we are glossing over the Oline when talking about Walker.

Not saying it was addressed, just saying they both will be running behind the same line.
Put Walker on Detroit or Philly and you're not spewing those same pedestrian numbers.

The guy has top 5 RB talent. Does Charbonnet? That is my point.

Charbonnett's tape looks very good. I didn't follow him closely cause he was a round 2 pick and I didn't think Miami wanted to spend their limited capital on a high pick RB, unless Gibbs fell to them, no chance Robinson would fall to pick 51. In hindsight, he would've been a big improvement over Jamaal Williams, much cheaper, and not much below the totality of what Gibbs brings to the table ... he would've been there for DET's second pick in round 2. Miami went with their BPA, Cam Smith, a potential playmaker at CB, then Charbonnet was selected with the next pick by SEA. Achane in the 3rd for Miami was about where he was expected to go.

Time will tell, Walker vs Charbonnet vs Gibbs vs Achane. Versus who DET and MIA could've selected.

Walker looked very good on highlights, he may improve in year 2.

Charbonnett's tape looks very good. I didn't follow him closely cause he was a round 2 pick and I didn't think Miami wanted to spend their limited capital on a high pick RB, unless Gibbs fell to them, no chance Robinson would fall to pick 51. In hindsight, he would've been a big improvement over Jamaal Williams, much cheaper, and not much below the totality of what Gibbs brings to the table ... he would've been there for DET's second pick in round 2. Miami went with their BPA, Cam Smith, a potential playmaker at CB, then Charbonnet was selected with the next pick by SEA. Achane in the 3rd for Miami was about where he was expected to go.

Time will tell, Walker vs Charbonnet vs Gibbs vs Achane. Versus who DET and MIA could've selected.

Charbonnet was my RB2 headed into the draft. I had Gibbs in the same tier, but Charbonnet profiles as an early down between the tackles guy and Gibbs doesn’t, so tie goes to the (GL) runner.

Miami would have been the dream landing spot. Had that happened I would have kept another 1st in my rebuild to draft Charbs.

As it is, there are 2 good RB on a team that loves to run the ball. Neither will be a FF star so long as they’re both healthy, IMO

Both should provide RB2-3 value to a roster (not overall, but roster position)

$5000 dynasty, Walker went pick 19 (yes after the NFL draft).
I would not be on board with that.
Or CMC at 4 for that matter (different thread, but had to mention)
I’m very curious about the rosters in a $5K dynasty league. Unrelated to the topic other than Walker going at 19, but can you post a link?

Love how we are glossing over the Oline when talking about Walker.

Not saying it was addressed, just saying they both will be running behind the same line.
Put Walker on Detroit or Philly and you're not spewing those same pedestrian numbers.

The guy has top 5 RB talent. Does Charbonnet? That is my point.

🤔 I like Walker almost as much as anyone but this seems a bit much.

Charbonnet was my RB2 headed into the draft. I had Gibbs in the same tier, but Charbonnet profiles as an early down between the tackles guy and Gibbs doesn’t, so tie goes to the (GL) runner.

Miami would have been the dream landing spot. Had that happened I would have kept another 1st in my rebuild to draft Charbs.

As it is, there are 2 good RB on a team that loves to run the ball. Neither will be a FF star so long as they’re both healthy, IMO

Both should provide RB2-3 value to a roster (not overall, but roster position)
I’m perfectly okay with either being a top 20-30 guy if they’re both playing and the chance of getting top ten if either gets injured.
I really wasn’t planning on taking Charb 1.12 but I’m leaning that way now over Mingo and hooker (sf)

Last year, Seattle
Team rushing attempts -- 8th from the bottom at 425= 25/gm
Team tgts to RBs and 8th from the bottom at 84 = 4.94
Rushing TDs per game 0.7

Let's assume they wanted to run more but they didn't have the player health that they'd envisioned and their ideal script would actually be more like this:
Attempts= 28 (would be around fringe top 12 in attempts per game)
RB Targets=6-projecting a slight bump but still bottom third of the league.
Team rushing TD/gm- 0.9 is exactly a mid pack expectation from last year = 15.3 on the year.
Total team rush yards around 130 per game would have been #10 in the league last year. They were 18th at 119 last year.

Prioritizing a high quality RB in the second round suggests they have a role in mind. The fact that Charbonnet is considered a good compliment in addition to quality depth makes sense. Maybe this is a bit too anecdotal but I see Walker as an explosive back with a low success rate and Charb as their vision for a guy that can catch passes a little better and have less explosive but higher success rate runs. IE goal line and short yardage situations.

If we imagine how Seattle sees using them and divvy up the carries, targets and TDs we get something like this:

Walker 16 for 75, 1.5 targets for 1 catches, 7.5 yards and .35 TDs
7.5+1+.75+2.1=11.3/game

Charbonnet 10 for 46, 3 targets for 2 catches, 15 yards and 0.50 TDs
4.6+2+1.5+3=11.1/game

That leaves 2 carries, 1.5 targets and the odd rushing TD for the other guys. That's probably too low (for the other guys) but if they've got their lead guys maybe they'll just pug 'em in.

That leaves them both firmly as RB3/Flex guys. And of course if the TD rate spikes to an outlier-esque number, great. Last year phi was 2.1, Detroit was 1.4, Dallas and the G men 1.3 and SF/CLE/CHI/MIN were all 1.0. Projecting more than 1.1-1.2 seems not realistic.

If you don't agree with that projection, be my guest and fill in the blanks different. I'm no Seattle expert so if you think you have insight into a different intended usage of these guys, knock yourself out. Personally I won't be prioritizing either one until the 9th or 10th in redraft with the obvious caveat that if one gets hurt, then, they will likely not use one or the other as a 23 carry/ 5 target guy and end up being a back of the RB1 tier guy. Great but not vintage CMC or Derrick Henry.

Last year, Seattle
Rushing TDs per game 0.7

Let's assume they wanted to run more but they didn't have the player health that they'd envisioned and their ideal script would actually be more like this:
Team rushing TD/gm- 0.9 is exactly a mid pack expectation from last year = 15.3 on the year.
Total team rush yards around 130 per game would have been #10 in the league last year. They were 18th at 119 last year.

Prioritizing a high quality RB in the second round suggests they have a role in mind. The fact that Charbonnet is considered a good compliment in addition to quality depth makes sense. Maybe this is a bit too anecdotal but I see Walker as an explosive back with a low success rate and Charb as their vision for a guy that can catch passes a little better and have less explosive but higher success rate runs. IE goal line and short yardage situations.

If we imagine how Seattle sees using them and divvy up the carries, targets and TDs we get something like this:

7.5+1+.75+2.1=11.3/game

4.6+2+1.5+3=11.1/game

That leaves 2 carries, 1.5 targets and the odd rushing TD for the other guys. That's probably too low (for the other guys) but if they've got their lead guys maybe they'll just pug 'em in.

That leaves them both firmly as RB3/Flex guys. And of course if the TD rate spikes to an outlier-esque number, great. Last year phi was 2.1, Detroit was 1.4, Dallas and the G men 1.3 and SF/CLE/CHI/MIN were all 1.0. Projecting more than 1.1-1.2 seems not realistic.

If you don't agree with that projection, be my guest and fill in the blanks different. I'm no Seattle expert so if you think you have insight into a different intended usage of these guys, knock yourself out. Personally I won't be prioritizing either one until the 9th or 10th in redraft with the obvious caveat that if one gets hurt, then, they will likely not use one or the other as a 23 carry/ 5 target guy and end up being a back of the RB1 tier guy. Great but not vintage CMC or Derrick Henry.
I think it’s pretty solid - if you go back to Carson a few years ago it will likely validate your projections for what Seattle would ideally have in terms of RB touches.

The guy has top 5 RB talent
Everybody drink!
:banned:
Let me try to rephrase this since these seem to be the words you are hung up on.

Nobody is saying he won't eat into some of Walkers carries. Nobody.
I am saying I believe Walker is a top 5 RB talent. Therefore, I don't think the split will be as close as you do. IF it turns out Charbonnet is also a top 5 RB talent, that may change.

Let's get more technical. Despite playing in 15 games and only the starter in 11 of those, he was:
228 carries
ZERO fumbles
11th in rushing yards.
Tied for 2nd in runs over 20 yards
Tied for 6th in rushing TD's
8th in rushing yards per game
51 rushing first downs

Charbonnet will have to be really, really good to take too much away.

Just to note another potential issue for the backfield is while I know Charbonnet has some third down skills that's Deejay's strong skill set as well as McInstosh who was one of the better pass catching RB's in the draft an fell due to medical issues. I think there is a strong chance one of these two are designated passing down RB, further muddying the waters.

Counterpoint: no, he won’t. He’ll just have to get touches.

More touches for Charbonnet = fewer touches for Walker

More receptions for Charbonnet = fewer receptions for Walker

It’s just math.

Just to note another potential issue for the backfield is while I know Charbonnet has some third down skills that's Deejay's strong skill set as well as McInstosh who was one of the better pass catching RB's in the draft an fell due to medical issues. I think there is a strong chance one of these two are designated passing down RB, further muddying the waters.
Solid point. Used to be Homer in that role.

Even when Carson led that backfield it was still something of a committee. Carroll loves to sprinkle in other backs.

It’s just math.

It is math. But you're acting as if no other RB had touches last year.
To use your logic you would have to ask how many MORE touches will Charbonnet get over Dallas and Homer did combined last year.
I would even admit probably a few more than them, but not as many as you would suggest.

@Payne
Let's see your breakdown. I'm suggesting 28 carries, 6 targets to the RBs as well as about 0.9 TDs per game.
Break it down how you think the team will want to break it down. I find putting it numbers in that form helps inform my expectations. Obviously guys are going to get hurt and game script is going to drive different decisions. If you're a Seattle fan, hopefully you can provide some helpful insight.
Cheers

It’s just math.

It is math. But you're acting as if no other RB had touches last year.
No, I’m acting as if Penny got hurt and no other RB had *significant* touches last year.
To use your logic you would have to ask how many MORE touches will Charbonnet get over Dallas and Homer did combined last year.
I have - I said I believe it will be 60-40.

I also very specifically predicted that Charbonnet would have more high value FF touched (GL & receptions) than Walker. That’s key.
I would even admit probably a few more than them, but not as many as you would suggest.
Then we can agree to disagree. I believe it will be more than enough to substantially devalue Walker for FF.

Last edited:

And

About Walker

Well, Pete isn’t a genius in all aspects football. I mean the man called (or was at least on board) a slant pass from the 1 yard line in the Super Bowl 😏

And

About Walker

Well, Pete isn’t a genius in all aspects football. I mean the man called (or was at least on board) a slant pass from the 1 yard line in the Super Bowl 😏
I can sleepwalk that thing to him, boy!

Last year, Seattle
Rushing TDs per game 0.7

7.5+1+.75+2.1=11.3/game

4.6+2+1.5+3=11.1/game

Fwiw, clay is projecting a 15/8 ppr point split in walkers favor. Maybe he’s right. I don’t think they would have drafted a RB in the second round if that’s the workload they envisioned. I’m out on Walker if he’s being priced at a 15 point back. I had him last year and he wasn’t the league winner I thought he’d be down the stretch.

It hasn't been talked about much, so maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but Carroll hasn't really been much of a RBBC guy, right? Even with Carson and Penny it was typically one was clearly the lead back until they got hurt.

Seems to me like there's a scenario here where Walker is the CLEAR lead and Charbs was just drafted because Pete still values RBs like it's 1970 and he's had lots of problems with depth at that position lately, and he's tired of having to abandon his entire philosophy when his starter gets hurt.

It hasn't been talked about much, so maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but Carroll hasn't really been much of a RBBC guy, right? Even with Carson and Penny it was typically one was clearly the lead back until they got hurt.

Seems to me like there's a scenario here where Walker is the CLEAR lead and Charbs was just drafted because Pete still values RBs like it's 1970 and he's had lots of problems with depth at that position lately, and he's tired of having to abandon his entire philosophy when his starter gets hurt.
IIRC he’s more of a “hot hand” guy.

I rostered Carson for what seemed like forever, and I distinctly recall games where Penny (rare healthy moments) took over games & Carson disappointed.

Penny was hurt too often to impact Carson that frequently, but Penny got work when he was healthy.

Last edited:

And

About Walker

Classic :ROFLMAO:

And

About Walker

Classic :ROFLMAO:
It will never not be hilarious. It’s one of the most perfect things the television has ever gifted us.

Users who are viewing this thread