What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zamir White, LV (2 Viewers)

Is Zamir the handcuff to Jacobs?
Realistically he is probably the two down backup, at least initially.

Considering how little the Raiders are spelling Jacobs, it's difficult to believe they have much confidence in anyone behind him just yet.

Jacobs has been in on 75% (292) of offensive snaps and has 133 rushes+targets. The rest of the RB corps has been in on 25% (102) of snaps and has 20 rushes+targets.

Zamir has 5 attempts, zero targets on 17 snaps (4.4%) this season. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in how much they trust him.

The answer to your question is a definite maybe.

And is there any knowledge about Zamir's role for the next couple of years? Jacobs was not signed beyond this year so the starting RB is open. Jacobs could be resigned but with his big year that he is having, it would require some big $$. Has their been any indications from the team that Zamir could be that lead dog next year?

And is there any knowledge about Zamir's role for the next couple of years? Jacobs was not signed beyond this year so the starting RB is open. Jacobs could be resigned but with his big year that he is having, it would require some big $$. Has their been any indications from the team that Zamir could be that lead dog next year?
The Raiders are 2-4, and if their season does not turn around, we could see the Raiders give White more opportunities to assess their future options.

The Raiders are 2-4, and if their season does not turn around, we could see the Raiders give White more opportunities to assess their future options.
Everything I've read is it's more likely that the Raiders just run Josh into the ground and keep White fresh. I've kept a roster spot for Zamir in redraft but trying to figure this out. Not sure he's worth a hold or not at this point.

Pure redshirt treatment or they're finding out he doesn't have what it takes to be their next back? I would love to hear any inside scoops on what's going on with his development behind the scenes. I haven't heard a peep good or bad.

I don't think it's time to hit the panic alarm in dynasty. But there isn't any way where this guy doesn't find the field for a half-dozen carries by end-of-season if they actually like what they have here, right?

Is there any recent example of a rookie RB being completely stashed away in season one, and having a significant role in the years following? I can't think of one. At least not to the degree of how little usage there has been.

Pure redshirt treatment or they're finding out he doesn't have what it takes to be their next back? I would love to hear any inside scoops on what's going on with his development behind the scenes. I haven't heard a peep good or bad.

I don't think it's time to hit the panic alarm in dynasty. But there isn't any way where this guy doesn't find the field for a half-dozen carries by end-of-season if they actually like what they have here, right?

Is there any recent example of a rookie RB being completely stashed away in season one, and having a significant role in the years following? I can't think of one. At least not to the degree of how little usage there has been.
I have no clue if White deserves more carries, but Jacobs doesn’t deserve to lose any. He has looked really good this season. I’m curious how his numbers would be if he wasn’t playing for an inept coaching staff.

Everything I've read is it's more likely that the Raiders just run Josh into the ground and keep White fresh. I've kept a roster spot for Zamir in redraft but trying to figure this out. Not sure he's worth a hold or not at this point.
I'm guessing the Raiders wish they picked up Jacobs' 5th year option, but with a new coaching staff and based on recent history, they probably thought he wasn't worth it at the time. Now they have a tough decision as Jacobs heads into FA. Assuming he continues to ball out the rest of the year and want to retain him, it will cost them more than it would have had they picked up the 5th year. But at the same time, there are few big FA contracts doled out to RBs any more, and they could probably re-sign Jacobs at a reasonable 2/3 year deal.

How that works for White is obviously a wild card/wait and see. If Jacobs stays, then White remains just a handcuff at best. If Jacobs is signed away, another RB - either through a plentiful FA crop or a higher draft pick than White - could very easily be brought in. And if McDaniels is sent packing, then all bets are off.

Seems like this happens every year to day 2 or 3 RBs that don't flash right away - they often get replaced/surpassed the next year.

I'm guessing the Raiders wish they picked up Jacobs' 5th year option, but with a new coaching staff and based on recent history, they probably thought he wasn't worth it at the time. Now they have a tough decision as Jacobs heads into FA. Assuming he continues to ball out the rest of the year and want to retain him, it will cost them more than it would have had they picked up the 5th year. But at the same time, there are few big FA contracts doled out to RBs any more, and they could probably re-sign Jacobs at a reasonable 2/3 year deal.

How that works for White is obviously a wild card/wait and see. If Jacobs stays, then White remains just a handcuff at best. If Jacobs is signed away, another RB - either through a plentiful FA crop or a higher draft pick than White - could very easily be brought in. And if McDaniels is sent packing, then all bets are off.

Seems like this happens every year to day 2 or 3 RBs that don't flash right away - they often get replaced/surpassed the next year.
Why would the Raiders sign Jacobs to a large contract when they will be starting the rebuilding process in a few months? Jacobs is a very good RB but the Raiders have about a dozen positions to address before RB matters.

Why would the Raiders sign Jacobs to a large contract when they will be starting the rebuilding process in a few months? Jacobs is a very good RB but the Raiders have about a dozen positions to address before RB matters.
That’s the point - may not need a large contract for RBs any more and Jacobs is still young.

That’s the point - may not need a large contract for RBs any more and Jacobs is still young.
If I am running the Raiders, I would rebuild the team from the inside out and keep inserting cheap RBs. Finding decent RBs seems much easier than finding personnel for the O line, D line, and QB. Jacobs would not be in those rebuilding plans. With the way the Raiders operate, Jacobs will be past his prime or even out of the league by the time the Raiders are a RB away from being good.

If I am running the Raiders, I would rebuild the team from the inside out and keep inserting cheap RBs. Finding decent RBs seems much easier than finding personnel for the O line, D line, and QB. Jacobs would not be in those rebuilding plans. With the way the Raiders operate, Jacobs will be past his prime or even out of the league by the time the Raiders are a RB away from being good.
Fair point. The question is whether White is that guy to take over, and that is certainly a wildcard at best. He may not enough playing time to even make team brass even consider him as the heir apparent.

I'm guessing the Raiders wish they picked up Jacobs' 5th year option, but with a new coaching staff and based on recent history, they probably thought he wasn't worth it at the time.
I'm guessing they are good with their decision and I say that in large part because if they want to retain him it won't likely cost a lot more then the $9.6M they'd have owed him and with an extension that number can be spread out instead of that whole $9.6 hitting your cap in 2023.

As good as Jacobs has played I'm not sure he'd going to get more then the $9.6M either. I think so if he keeps playing like he has but no guarantee and should be close either way. I'll probably say this a thousand times on these boards between now and FA in March and the draft but we might have a top 3-5 all time RB draft class and a all time FA RB draft class hitting the same off-season. Market's not going to be awesome for RB's.

Lastly and this is not directed at you but I push back on the notion that Jacobs broke out because the past staff was did not use him properly. They tried, he had a lot of nagging injuries which seemed to slow him down, his feet in particular seemed jacked up all last year. Avoding those injuries cropping back on him this season might be the key to his payday.

I'll probably say this a thousand times on these boards between now and FA in March and the draft but we might have a top 3-5 all time RB draft class and a all time FA RB draft class hitting the same off-season. Market's not going to be awesome for RB's.
Agreed - broadly speaking, this is going to be an interesting topic in the offseason. There are a lot of productive FAs out there that will have to take a lot less than what they perceived their value to be. Ultimately with the rookie crop, it's likely going to create a lot more frustrating RBBCs.

Again, something to talk about down the line though.

If his 5th year option was $9.6 million (someone mentioned that number upthread) and the 2022 franchise tag number was $9.57 it seems that this was a good decision on the Raiders part. If they tag him next year, I don't think the tag will be much higher than the $9.6 5th year option and it gave them time to assess Jacobs and see what they want to do with him and the position.

Is Zamir the handcuff to Jacobs?
Bump.

I am choosing between he and Khalil Herbert (or Huntley) as drops. Do I keep Herbert just in case for week 16 and 17 only?

For purposes of this thread, is White deemed the beneficiary in the event of a Jacobs injury?

Thanks.

Spiller will probably split time with Sony and also even Josh Kelly eventually.

Spiller was behind Kelley on the depth chart before Kelley got hurt. I'd think that unless Spiller runs away with the job that it's Kelley's when he comes back.
Spiller failed his trial last week. I would say it is Kelleys job when he comes back. Anybody know when that is? I have a razor thin rb core after injuries to breece hall and no kalil herbert and badly need Eklers backup before disaster strikes.

Zamir was a healthy inactive last week. After getting one carry the week before. Maybe special teams related, maybe he's not that good.

Spiller was behind Kelley on the depth chart before Kelley got hurt. I'd think that unless Spiller runs away with the job that it's Kelley's when he comes back.

I remember reading before the season started that Spiller was drafted specifically to be Ekeler's backup (sorry, no link). He may have been behind earlier due to lack of experience? Plus, wasn't he injured? Just thinking out loud...

Spiller failed his trial last week. I would say it is Kelleys job when he comes back. Anybody know when that is? I have a razor thin rb core after injuries to breece hall and no kalil herbert and badly need Eklers backup before disaster strikes.

I assume the bolded is just your opinion and not per any real source?

I remember reading before the season started that Spiller was drafted specifically to be Ekeler's backup (sorry, no link). He may have been behind earlier due to lack of experience? Plus, wasn't he injured? Just thinking out loud...

Not really either. I followed this because I drafted Spiller at 2.02 in my rookie draft, where I reached for him a bit. (Over D. Pierce and B. Robinson and Rachaad White. Ugh.) So I followed it. He got beat out in camp by Kelley, who had apparently gone on a training bender to get faster and leaner during the offseason (they credited diet, make of that what you will). It was an open audition and you could tell they wanted their recent fourth-rounder (big thing there) to win the job from Rountree and Kelley.

Of course, he might have gotten beat out because of experience, but I think it might be due to a lack of physical prowess. Spiller did not test well at all during the combine, and he might just be a sub-par athlete (FOR AN NFL RB!!!) in the professional ranks.

But here's the thing--he's probably worth a speculative add in case he does win the job or Ekeler goes down. Kelley missed at least four weeks with a knee issue (I think MCL). Maybe Kelley is still hobbled by it. He was also dangerously close to a sub-par athlete.

So that's about what I know about the situation. I think da_budman is speculating what will happen when he comes back, because i've been paying a bit of attention and haven't read that assessment.

****. This is the Zamir White thread. How'd we get on Spiller? Back to White.
Both 4th round picks, back to back. Speculative adds down the stretch, short benches. The correct answer might be neither. Maybe James Cook is better if available, he was taken 2 rounds earlier and averaged about 1 more ypc than Zamir.

No. I can't recall one example of an NFL team giving a healthy rookie back this little work and then proceeding to turn over anything resembling a top role to that player in the following season.

IF Jacobs leaves, I think the very best case for White is that the Raiders draft one of the smaller speed backs or receiving specialists. I would still expect a notable free agent that the fantasy consensus will probably put ahead of White on the depth chart.

I'm thinking 3-man committee where he has an outside chance of rising to the top. Or they go with one of the top free agents or (volume) rookies and he's the clear #2 that maybe gets to actually play next year.

Would love to be wrong, but if anyone in my league thinks for a second that he's the guy in '23 and will pay commensurate value, he's gone in a heartbeat.

Derailed before it even got started. But if I'm a Jacobs owner I'm trying like heck to pick him up as insurance cause there ain't no way Jacob's can stay healthy two years in a row. Especially with that work load.

Derailed before it even got started. But if I'm a Jacobs owner I'm trying like heck to pick him up as insurance cause there ain't no way Jacob's can stay healthy two years in a row. Especially with that work load.
I wouldn’t hang my hat in the Zamir White corner.

I'm buying low on Zamir, he's getting dropped in some leagues and I'm happy to use a roster spot on him.

He has NFL pedigree and size and has played at a high level. Way too early to jump ship IMHO.

Textbook definition of buy low IMHO.

I'm buying low on Zamir, he's getting dropped in some leagues and I'm happy to use a roster spot on him.

He has NFL pedigree and size and has played at a high level. Way too early to jump ship IMHO.

Textbook definition of buy low IMHO.
As a Jacob owner and Zamir owner no way I'd drop him. Definitely a buy especially if you have Jacobs.

The Athletic's Tashan Reed writes Zamir White could be ready for a larger role in the Raiders backfield.​

"Even if a resolution is reached," with Josh Jacobs' contract, Reed writes, "the Raiders may call on White to balance out the workload a bit more in 2023." White has "displayed growth in his knowledge of the system, pass protection ability, overall awareness and ball carrier vision." The Raiders beats have tended to be pretty high on White despite him being inactive for a lot of last season and only receiving 17 carries. It's not implausible he carves out a bigger role this year.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 15, 2023, 1:38 PM ET

The Athletic's Tashan Reed writes Zamir White could be ready for a larger role in the Raiders backfield.​

"Even if a resolution is reached," with Josh Jacobs' contract, Reed writes, "the Raiders may call on White to balance out the workload a bit more in 2023." White has "displayed growth in his knowledge of the system, pass protection ability, overall awareness and ball carrier vision." The Raiders beats have tended to be pretty high on White despite him being inactive for a lot of last season and only receiving 17 carries. It's not implausible he carves out a bigger role this year.
Jun 15, 2023, 1:38 PM ET
"Not implausible he carves out a bigger role". Well, I'm sold! Going to offer three firsts for him. 🥴

The Athletic's Tashan Reed believes the Raiders "may call on Zamir White to balance out the workload a bit more in 2023."​

Reed noted, "White has displayed growth in his knowledge of the system, pass protection ability, overall awareness and ball carrier vision." White got more run than usual in minicamp with Josh Jacobs not present. He didn't see the ball much as a rookie, totaling 17 carries for 70 yards, so the extra reps this offseason will be good for his development. White earning a larger cut of the backfield in his second season would be a big hit to Jacobs' fantasy outlook. Even if he remains strictly a backup, White is an interesting late-round flyer based on his upside if anything happens to Jacobs.
RELATED:
Jun 16, 2023, 1:48 PM ET

I'm not excited about Zamir White. IMHO, he's an average-to-above-average RB. Also, McDaniels loves Ameer Abdullah, who does a credible job filling the James White role in the offense, which, without Jacobs, might be called upon more than usual. I think the Raiders backfield is going to be a full-blown committee unless/until Jacob capitulates (which, IMHO, he should).

Raiders RB Zamir White is listed as the top back on the team’s first unofficial depth chart.

Again, this is an unofficial depth chart. We shouldn’t read too much into it, but we also shouldn’t be surprised to see White listed as the RB1 with Josh Jacobs still holding out and the veteran combo of Ameer Abdullah and Brandon Bolden serving as his only threats for touches. White was a fourth-round pick out of Georgia last year and spent the majority of his rookie campaign riding the pine. He totaled just 17 carries for 70 scoreless yards last season but should see significantly more work this season, with or without Jacobs in the lineup. White is a worthy late-round flier who could turn into a fantasy value if Jacobs misses time. Should Jacobs return, he still has contingent value as an end-of-the-bench stash.

White reminds me of Tony Pollard. Very different runner than Jacobs, but could carve out a serious role if the Raiders offense holds up without Carr and Jacobs.

Look at this absolute UNIT

Anyone else that is on hopium that Jacobs holds out look at the video.
TL: DW synopsis please.

I don't think many in here are hoping Jacobs will continue his holdout.
I have no idea what you are saying to be honest brother.

Users who are viewing this thread