What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Matador- :thumbup:   :thumbup:   :thumbdown: Didn't care for the ending that much.
Really? I thought the ending really made the movie worth while.
I was pretty drunk during this movie, so this rating may be a little skewed. It was a little too soft for my taste. I wanted an extravagant assasination or something.

I'm willing to leave out the completely unrealistic physics with the ship on the rocks and the fact that King Kong would have ripped off the woman's arms when he pulled her off the sacrificial altar (we are talking about a movie about a giant ape, afterall)
That part bugged me too. Her head would have flown off too the way he was carrying her through the forest.
Woman climbs up ladder in high heels, hundreds of feet off the ground, planes shooting, winds blowing, but doesnt get a scratch, all because she loves an oversized gorilla? :excited: One of the weakest endings ever.

I saw two movies this weekend. Harold and Kumar go to White Castles was EXCELLENT!

Underworld was average at best, maybe slightly above average if you just compare it to other horror films, which tend to be on the bad side.

Finally saw "Munich" this weekend, which makes it all 5 2005 best picture nominees. Revised rankings.

1. Brokeback

2. Munich

3. Capote

4. Good Night and Good Luck

5,000,000. Crash

I watched Gwendoline (actually, "Gwendoline: Unrated Director's Cut (A.K.A. The Perils Of Gwendoline In The Land Of The Yik Yak") this weekend. I'd give it ¶¶ out of ¶¶¶¶¶.

The reason for the ¶¶ is almost entirely due to a 23 year old Tawny Kitaen's propensity for getting topless during the film (and her sidekick, Zabou, isn't too shabby either). Throw in the fact that Gwendoline is from the genius that brought you Emanuelle and Lady Chatterly's Lover, and the historical value of this film is off the charts (I mean, c'mon, its Tawny Kitaen - Whitesnake's video vixen, and Tom Hanks' Bachelor party bride to be).

Featuring some of the worst special effects ever committed to film (there's a "crocodile" that is worse than anything you've ever seen, including those featured at jungle-themed miniature golf courses) as well as what seems to be actors speaking multiple languages (and subsequently dubbed).

Even if you've never watched this movie, you probably remember seeing the VHS case for it sitting there collecting dust on video store shelves years ago. That's back when it was known as The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak. Yes, a title that uses "the" three times.

I too used to walk past that old VHS rental tape back in the day. The video promised Indiana Jones-style adventure combined with sexy girls, but I never did get around to renting it, opting instead for, you know, good movies. And yet, I have to admit, the pop culture-obsessed geek part of me always did want to see the movie for curiosity's sake, to witness for myself whether it lived up to the sexy promise of the packaging.

Well, my day has come. The movie has now arrived on DVD with a new unrated director's cut, with its title shortened (re-shortened?) to Gwendoline. The packaging now promises a lot more sex and debauchery than it ever did, replacing the old Drew Struzan-inspired cover art with a stark shot of star Tawny Kitaen (Witchboard, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys) wearing nothing but a pair of handcuffs and some tiny underpants.
After Bachelor Party, I sought out all things Tawny Kitaen, including Gwendoline in the land of yik yac. You're literally the only person I've heard of that's seen it too.Young Tawny Kitaen... :wub:

War of the Worlds

- I remember this film getting a lot of bad reviews. While I won't say it was great, I liked it. Pretty depressing at times, but I enjoyed it.
Overall I liked the movie, but the ending was terrible.

War of the Worlds

- I remember this film getting a lot of bad reviews. While I won't say it was great, I liked it. Pretty depressing at times, but I enjoyed it.
:goodposting: Spielberg at his worst (for the ending). I agree with you guys though- overall, a good watch.

Finally watched The 40-Year Old Virgin.

That movie was an excellent, absolutely excellent, display of mediocrity. I've never seen anything ride the line of complete humdrum quite so well. It was the paragon of averageness.

Watched Glengarry Glen Ross last nite based on good reviews from some other threads. Classic movie I had never seen before. I really liked it. Acting was superb, and the fast pace seemed to me exactly how the atmosphere in a cutthroat sales office would be like. Great movie, wish I had seen it long ago.

That movie was an excellent, absolutely excellent, display of mediocrity. I've never seen anything ride the line of complete humdrum quite so well. It was the paragon of averageness.
You know how I know you're gay?
War of the Worlds

The very end? With the hoaky surpise?

I saw two movies this weekend. Harold and Kumar go to White Castles was EXCELLENT!

Underworld was average at best, maybe slightly above average if you just compare it to other horror films, which tend to be on the bad side.
Underworld is a horror movie?? :confused:

I saw "Reversal of Fortune"

A documentary about a homeless man that finds $100,000.00 and spends it all on nasty white trash hookers, and a bike...its a real downer, but better than most reality tv shows.

Watched Glengarry Glen Ross last nite based on good reviews from some other threads. Classic movie I had never seen before. I really liked it. Acting was superb, and the fast pace seemed to me exactly how the atmosphere in a cutthroat sales office would be like. Great movie, wish I had seen it long ago.
It's at the top of my queue right now as well. I look forward to it.

Can someone explain why I'm the only one who didn't care for this movie?... F' it I'm going to rent it again.

You expected something more....autobiographical?

I saw "Reversal of Fortune"A documentary about a homeless man that finds $100,000.00 and spends it all on nasty white trash hookers, and a bike...its a real downer, but better than most reality tv shows.
I saw that too, very interesting. You knew the train wreck was coming, sad really.I watched "Gangs of New York" last night for the first time in a while, worth watching for the Bill the Butcher charachter alone. :thumbup:

Can someone explain why I'm the only one who didn't care for this movie?... F' it I'm going to rent it again.
All depends on what you like in a movie. If you like action, this probably isn't your movie. The story is pretty simple, but to me each actor was perfect and played his part amazingly well, much more so than almost any other movie I've seen. Some people dig that, many don't. Plus it didn't drag on endlessly (which I'm finding to be more and more of a factor for me in some cases whether or not I like the movie a lot or just think it is ok). I dunno, everything about this movie just clicked perfectly for me, but I can see how it wouldn't be right for everyone.

Finally got around to seeing Munich. It was arguably the single most morally offensive film I've ever seen, and my opinion of Steven Spielberg has been lowered significantly.

At no point in this movie was I ever given any reason to root against the Israeli assassination squad. Their mission was quite clearly morally just, but Spielberg just seems to assume that I'm going to weep over dead bodyguards or something.

Also, Spielberg might want to think about being a little more subtle in his future endeavors. From the quote "Munich changes everything!" in the beginning to the closing shot on the WTC, he hammers his point home over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Okay, Steve. Revenge is bad. We get it. We'll overlook that this doesn't have anything to do with "revenge" in the way people normally use that word. Just please stop bludgeoning us, 'kay?

Seriously, movies like this make me wonder if the West has fallen so far into nihilism as to be beyond rescue. This movie certainly made me think and it certainly lowered my spirits a bit, but not in the way Spielberg intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw two films:War of the Worlds- I remember this film getting a lot of bad reviews. While I won't say it was great, I liked it. Pretty depressing at times, but I enjoyed it.
I saw this too yesterday. It was okay. Nothing great, but not as bad as a typical summer blockbuster-type movie. I agree with the guy who didn't like the ending. It was stupid that Tom Cruise's ex-wife's parents not only survived, but had their home and apparently their entire wardrobe spared while the rest of humanity was ruthlessly exterminated. Too much of a contrived happy ending. Then again, it was a summer movie, so what did I expect.

Finally got around to seeing Munich. It was arguably the single most morally offensive film I've ever seen, and my opinion of Steven Spielberg has been lowered significantly.

At no point in this movie was I ever given any reason to root against the Israeli assassination squad. Their mission was quite clearly morally just, but Spielberg just seems to assume that I'm going to weep over dead bodyguards or something.

Also, Spielberg might want to think about being a little more subtle in his future endeavors. From the quote "Munich changes everything!" in the beginning to the closing shot on the WTC, he hammers his point home over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Okay, Steve. Revenge is bad. We get it. We'll overlook that this doesn't have anything to do with "revenge" in the way people normally use that word. Just please stop bludgeoning us, 'kay?

Seriously, movies like this make me wonder if the West has fallen so far into nihilism as to be beyond rescue. This movie certainly made me think and it certainly lowered my spirits a bit, but not in the way Spielberg intended.
I didn't have the same take, but I won't try to dissuade you. Remember the conversation between the Israeli agent and the Muslim in the rented room? I thought that added a very human face to the Muslim plight. I think the film constantly asks the viewer to ask "Is revenge moral even if the crime is brutal?"

Saw two films:War of the Worlds- I remember this film getting a lot of bad reviews. While I won't say it was great, I liked it. Pretty depressing at times, but I enjoyed it.
I saw this too yesterday. It was okay. Nothing great, but not as bad as a typical summer blockbuster-type movie. I agree with the guy who didn't like the ending. It was stupid that Tom Cruise's ex-wife's parents not only survived, but had their home and apparently their entire wardrobe spared while the rest of humanity was ruthlessly exterminated. Too much of a contrived happy ending. Then again, it was a summer movie, so what did I expect.
That pretty much exactly sums it up for me. Entertaining, but lame ending.

I didn't have the same take, but I won't try to dissuade you. Remember the conversation between the Israeli agent and the Muslim in the rented room? I thought that added a very human face to the Muslim plight. I think the film constantly asks the viewer to ask "Is revenge moral even if the crime is brutal?"
Yes, I got that, and that particular scene was nice.The point is that this isn't "revenge." Revenge would be for Israel to kidnap a bunch of Palestinian athletes and execute them. That's not what Israel did. They tracked down and incapacitated people who killed Israelis citizens and who would have liked to have killed more. That's what governments are supposed to do. That's what they exist for.

Yes, I got that, and that particular scene was nice.The point is that this isn't "revenge." Revenge would be for Israel to kidnap a bunch of Palestinian athletes and execute them. That's not what Israel did. They tracked down and incapacitated people who killed Israelis citizens and who would have liked to have killed more. That's what governments are supposed to do. That's what they exist for.
So if you agree with the premise, then which part is morally offensive?

I would assume the part where Spielberg is trying to affix moral equivalency to the two actions.

The fact that Spielberg just sees this as revenge and automatically thinks the audience will too is morally offensive. If a guy robs a bank, it is not "revenge" for the cops to track him down.

Likewise, if a person commits a rape, it is not revenge to lock him up in prison.

And if a maniac goes on a rampage-style killing spree, it is not revenge if he gets taken out by a police sniper.

I don't see why it should be considered "revenge" if Israel tracks down and kills people who have harmed and will continue to harm its citizens. Is it "revenge" for the US to want to get UBL? Spielberg apparently thinks so, since he insists on continuously drawing parallels to 9/11 over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would assume the part where Spielberg is trying to affix moral equivalency to the two actions.
I'm confused. Would it have been better if the Muslims were depicted as worse, or if they were depicted as kinder? I still don't understand which part is morally offensive.

The fact that Spielberg just sees this as revenge and automatically thinks the audience will too is morally offensive. If a guy robs a bank, it is not "revenge" for the cops to track him down.

Likewise, if a person commits a rape, it is not revenge to lock him up in prison.

And if a maniac goes on a rampage-style killing spree, it is not revenge if he gets taken out by a police sniper.

I don't see why it should be considered "revenge" if Israel tracks down and kills people who have harmed and will continue to harm its citizens. Is it "revenge" for the US to want to get UBL? Spielberg apparently thinks so, since he insists on continuously drawing parallels to 9/11 over and over again.
Ok. I see what you're saying now. Perhaps Spielberg was in a bind. If he made the film completely pro-Israel, I think he'd get harshly criticized. Did you see "Dead Man Walking"? I liked the way that Robbins tried to make an even handed film. We all know Robbins is against the death penalty, but he showed the killers in the film to be reprehensible and completely worthy of execution.

Saw the french film Cache last night. Felt like the director was trying to hard to force the audience to make connections that just weren't feasible. And it ended disappointingly.

:thumbdown:

Finally blocked out the rest of the world and paid full attention to "Primer". While the first 10 minutes are some of the most boring moments that have ever graced a film, the rest of the movie more than made up for it. I liked that it didn't wrap everything up in a bow and hold your hand during the movie. You can tell that the creative minds behind it really respect their audience.

Add me to the list of people that recommend this movie. :thumbup:

I recommend Finding Neverland. I saw it for the first time last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the few movies that my wife and I both enjoyed.
Watched this tonite. Very touching story. Pretty much nothing surprising about the plot, but still got pretty choked up at the end, and it was done very well. Good movie.

I recommend Finding Neverland. I saw it for the first time last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the few movies that my wife and I both enjoyed.
Watched this tonite. Very touching story. Pretty much nothing surprising about the plot, but still got pretty choked up at the end, and it was done very well. Good movie.
This film wouldn't have been as good to me before we had kids. Being a parent made Neverland much better for me.

Yeah, I had doubts about using the word, but it DID have vampires and werewolves so the term isn't completely out of place.
Noted. Changing Teen Wolf and Buffy the Vampire Slayer to my horror section this afternoon. :unsure:

This film wouldn't have been as good to me before we had kids. Being a parent made Neverland much better for me.
I can definately see that. Funny how one's perspective on movies changes when you've got your own kids injected into your thought process.

Shaolin Soccer... Not really sure this needed to be a full length feature, but it was fun. Some funny lines (even through the translation) and ok special effects for comedy. The first (?) film by the guy who brought us "Kung Fu Shuffle" (a better film, IMO).

I know it's a cultural thing, but I find the painfully overt morality play of good vs evil in most Chinese movies distracting. They typically make Spielberg look like a master of subtlety.

Shaolin Soccer... Not really sure this needed to be a full length feature, but it was fun. Some funny lines (even through the translation) and ok special effects for comedy. The first (?) film by the guy who brought us "Kung Fu Shuffle" (a better film, IMO).

I know it's a cultural thing, but I find the painfully overt morality play of good vs evil in most Chinese movies distracting. They typically make Spielberg look like a master of subtlety.
i saw it on "spike tv" one night. i remembered it was the same guy that did "kung fu shuffle", which was in my netflix queue, and thought it would help prime me. i didn't like "shaolin soccer" that much. felt it was weak all the way around. "kung fu shuffle" was better but it isn't that much of a film either. almost a cartoon version of the genre.

You want a film with "revenge" as its central theme - Oldboy is your huckleberry.

KarmaPolice said:

Yeah, I had doubts about using the word, but it DID have vampires and werewolves so the term isn't completely out of place.
Noted. Changing Teen Wolf and Buffy the Vampire Slayer to my horror section this afternoon. :unsure:
Anytime a Vampire AND a werewolf AND Frankenstien get in a movie without Abbott and Costello, it's a horror movie.

I watched a movie called Havoc about a week ago. :thumbup:

This is a movie about upper-class white kids in LA who act black (and refer to themselves a "wiggers" -- their choice of words, not mine). Some of them decide to cruise over to the hood, and things go badly. Some of the girls decide to go back, and things eventually get even worse.

Basically, this film explores the issue of why people choose to adopt certain identities, and how people strive for a "real" existence instead of a stale life that they consider fake or artificial. In this respect, it hits on some of the same themes as Fight Club and American Beauty. It also plays around with issues of race and class in modern America, and does so without stooping into the kind of abject racism that marred Traffic.

Havoc is unrated for the same reason that Requiem for a Dream is unrated. It features extremely graphic, un-erotic sexuality. I only mention this for the sake of people who don't want to watch films that feature this sort of stuff.

A good example of the sort of indie film that might fly under the radar, but is probably available at your video store.

:thumbup:

Can we change the name of this thread to "Recently viewed Movie Thread - Complete with Spoilers!!!!"

I now can scratch V for Vendetta and War of the Worlds off my movie rental list. :( :angry:

Which reminds me, I just saw War of the Worlds despite what I remember to be luke warm ratings from many on here. I actually liked it, primarily for the great special effects. Tom Cruise is harder and harder to take seriously anymore, and the subtle (or not so subtle) melodramatic family interaction element was a bit annoying, plus it is a sci-fi flick in which absolutely NOTHING that occurs is really all that plausible. But in spite of all that, it WAS suspenseful and I didn't find myself growing impatient waiting for it to end. (although when it did, I was kind of like WTF just happened??).

Users who are viewing this thread