What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

I just watched V for Vendetta... I liked the idea but didn't care too much for the ending.
did you watch the director's cut? the one where he and the girl leave for France to begin anew? it's far more satisfying an ending, imo...
No I watched the original version where he dies... I'll have to check out the directors cut.
What about the producer's cut, where they both drive off the cliff holding hands? That one's great.

Syriana - not all that i hoped it might be. just sort of aimless, wandering, no real strong pull towards any character.

could have been a LOT better. coming from the guys who made 'Traffic' i expected more.

Syriana - not all that i hoped it might be. just sort of aimless, wandering, no real strong pull towards any character.

could have been a LOT better. coming from the guys who made 'Traffic' i expected more.
You didn't think that a movie from the guys who made Traffic was going to be aimless and wandering? :mellow:

You didn't think that a movie from the guys who made Traffic was going to be aimless and wandering? :mellow:
Traffic was much better.... i expected the wandering storyline but it didn't seem very well connected.

:thumbup: for Munich. One of the best films I've seen this year. Some things were a little overdone but still very well cast and acted - great suspense, character development and progression of the mission.

Benchwarmers

It had a few laughs early and then fizzled when they were reaching for ways to get the Benchwarmers team to win.

I found it oddly rated at PG-13 since it was basically Revenge of the Nerds for ten year olds.

Match Point: Holy ####### #### is Scarlett Johansson hot. I felt like the entire film was a bit of a boring lead up to the twist, but it was okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Thanks for the recommendation, it was great. The wife loved it too.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

V for Vendetta - I thought it was good....very 1984esque. Very overt political message, perhaps too blunt.

V for Vendetta- I really liked it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :popcorn: Kind of a communist society of the future that V revolts against. Very cool, although got a little long and slow towards the end IMO. The mask that guy wears (which he never takes off BTW, the entire movie!) is funny as hell looking :D Reminds me of the King :D

50 First Dates - Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore

I really liked it. I thought it was pretty funny and sincerely sweet without being sappy. It's up near the top of chick-flick movies that are actually watchable.

FWIW - Drew Barrymore, however, is not attractive.

Match Point: Holy ####### #### is Scarlett Johansson hot. I felt like the entire film was a bit of a boring lead up to the twist, but it was okay.
I watched that last night. The build up was just way too long. So that by the time we got all the Hitchcock hijinks in the second half, my patience had worn a bit thin. I also thought Allen hammered home his central metaphor with a sledgehammer instead of a tennis racket.But Scarlett did indeed look scrumptious, particularly her first scene playing ping pong.

I saw two movies this weekend. Harold and Kumar go to White Castles was EXCELLENT!

Underworld was average at best, maybe slightly above average if you just compare it to other horror films, which tend to be on the bad side.
Underworld is a horror movie?? :confused:
Yeah, I had doubts about using the word, but it DID have vampires and werewolves so the term isn't completely out of place.
Noted. Changing Teen Wolf and Buffy the Vampire Slayer to my horror section this afternoon. :unsure:
Anytime a Vampire AND a werewolf AND Frankenstien get in a movie without Abbott and Costello, it's a horror movie.
Monster Squad ? :excited: (damn I need to get that movie...)

Which reminds me, I just saw War of the Worlds despite what I remember to be luke warm ratings from many on here. I actually liked it, primarily for the great special effects. Tom Cruise is harder and harder to take seriously anymore, and the subtle (or not so subtle) melodramatic family interaction element was a bit annoying, plus it is a sci-fi flick in which absolutely NOTHING that occurs is really all that plausible. But in spite of all that, it WAS suspenseful and I didn't find myself growing impatient waiting for it to end. (although when it did, I was kind of like WTF just happened??).
I mostly agree with that. Part of the reason I liked it was low expectations.

Traffic was much better.... i expected the wandering storyline but it didn't seem very well connected.
Interesting, because I think Syriana is better than Traffic. The entire Mike Douglas and his druggie daughter just bored me.

Also watched Romero's "Land of the Dead." Very entertaining.
I like each of the other three movies more than this one, but Romero's worst outing is still vastly better than most other stuff in the horror genre.
Someone really needs to take all the zombie movies and rank them. The all have such similar titles that it's too hard to separate the good from the bad.I liked 28 Days Later, though. And Night of the Creeps.

Watched 12 Monkeys last night for the third time. I know most people have probably seen this already, but it's must-viewing for those who haven't.

War of the Worlds

- I remember this film getting a lot of bad reviews. While I won't say it was great, I liked it. Pretty depressing at times, but I enjoyed it.
Overall I liked the movie, but the ending was terrible.
:goodposting: Spielberg at his worst (for the ending). I agree with you guys though- overall, a good watch.
Can somebody explain to me how the machines were destroyed ?
The super-intelligent aliens who mastered the physics of inter-stellar travel apparently never noticed that the earth is covered with bacteria, and of course the aliens all die as a result of not having any built-up immunity. :obligatorySignsreference:

The super-intelligent aliens who mastered the physics of inter-stellar travel apparently never noticed that the earth is covered with bacteria, and of course the aliens all die as a result of not having any built-up immunity. :obligatorySignsreference:
"Hey, Sliglaf! Did you remember to pack the clean suits for invasion weekend?""Nah, we didn't need 'em for the last planet. Why bother?"

The aliens inside were destroyed because they didn't have an immunity to our native-to-Earth viruses.In other words, LAMELY!
I always liked that ending from the original- that was the whole point of the movie after all: technological superiority wiped out by the common cold.Would you have preferred Jeff Goldblum flying up to the mother-ship and downloading a computer virus?

Also watched Romero's "Land of the Dead." Very entertaining.
I like each of the other three movies more than this one, but Romero's worst outing is still vastly better than most other stuff in the horror genre.
Someone really needs to take all the zombie movies and rank them. The all have such similar titles that it's too hard to separate the good from the bad.I liked 28 Days Later, though. And Night of the Creeps.
28 Days is amazing. Cilian Murphy is awesome.

Saw Tristram Shandy; a #### and Bull Story... a movie within a movie about a book (supposedly the first post-modern novel). Some very funny bits with Steve Coogan and his side-kick (name escaping me) who are sparring for film/life status. Seems more a comical study of the inner-workings of Steve Coogan (who was amazing in "24 Hour Party People") than a compelling peice about either the novel or the film version of the novel... although I've never read it and doubt I ever will.

Not for everyone, but if "24 Hour Party People" worked for you, you'd probably like this one also.

50 First Dates - Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore

I really liked it. I thought it was pretty funny and sincerely sweet without being sappy. It's up near the top of chick-flick movies that are actually watchable.

FWIW - Drew Barrymore, however, is not attractive.
I thought she looked really good in that movie. Better than she has in other recent ones (Duplex, Fever Pitch, Charlies Angels)

The aliens inside were destroyed because they didn't have an immunity to our native-to-Earth viruses.In other words, LAMELY!
I always liked that ending from the original- that was the whole point of the movie after all: technological superiority wiped out by the common cold.Would you have preferred Jeff Goldblum flying up to the mother-ship and downloading a computer virus?
I would have preferred to have the aliens win.

I would have preferred to have the aliens win.
:lmao: You're right- that would've been better. But only after stepping on Dakota Fanning's head.

Saw Tristram Shandy; a #### and Bull Story... a movie within a movie about a book (supposedly the first post-modern novel). Some very funny bits with Steve Coogan and his side-kick (name escaping me) who are sparring for film/life status. Seems more a comical study of the inner-workings of Steve Coogan (who was amazing in "24 Hour Party People") than a compelling peice about either the novel or the film version of the novel... although I've never read it and doubt I ever will.

Not for everyone, but if "24 Hour Party People" worked for you, you'd probably like this one also.
supposedly, "tristam shandy" is one of those incomprehensible books which makes the notion of making a movie about a book like that all the more absurd. kind of like "naked lunch" in that regard, i guess. i love coogan and think he's does really good work. also, i'd like to recommend everyone see "little miss sunshine" which is in the theaters now. oh my god, this is a funny movie. it's awesome.

I liked this a lot and recommend it to fans of British comedy.

I really want to see the Steve Coogan fake TV talk-show DVD they were pimping in the previews for "Tristram Shandy"- that looked hilarious (like Jiminy Glick, but british and funny).

El Floppo said:

I really want to see the Steve Coogan fake TV talk-show DVD they were pimping in the previews for "Tristram Shandy"- that looked hilarious (like Jiminy Glick, but british and funny).
Sweet!

War of the Worlds

- I remember this film getting a lot of bad reviews. While I won't say it was great, I liked it. Pretty depressing at times, but I enjoyed it.
:goodposting: Spielberg at his worst (for the ending). I agree with you guys though- overall, a good watch.
Yeah, what the hell is that? Everytime humans are in a space movie, they always have that thingamajig that tells if the atmosphere is breathable....THEN they take off the helmets.

War of the Worlds

Yeah, what the hell is that? Everytime humans are in a space movie, they always have that thingamajig that tells if the atmosphere is breathable....THEN they take off the helmets.
I still want to know why an advanced alien war species would feel the need to bury their war machines on various desolate worlds?? Does that mean, that there are tripods on the moon, Mars, Pluto, etc??

V for Vendetta - huge disappointment, and the rewatch factor is nil.
I saw this in the theater at night and was extremely antsy because I had been expecting an action movie. I watched this again yesterday at home, and enjoyed it better the second time.

War of the Worlds

I still want to know why an advanced alien war species would feel the need to bury their war machines on various desolate worlds?? Does that mean, that there are tripods on the moon, Mars, Pluto, etc??
They're buried on planets that they can harvest.

War of the Worlds

Why are they buried then? If they're already here, why would they bury them and wait?

War of the Worlds

Why are they buried then? If they're already here, why would they bury them and wait?
So they can spread out the depreciation cost? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread